General & Others Anyone who uses a sword is a swordsman. Yes, including Big Mom and Kizaru.

LoL... What do you think Rayleigh is to Mihawk? A scrub? Apparently Kizaru is a wonderkind, without being swordsman he can match top tier swordsmen. What stops him from matching Mihawk if he can match Rayleigh?
If he uses his light sword he would lose, however if he uses all his arsenal he might stand a chance. Stop thinking in a straight line where sword is above everything else. It's just not the case in one piece.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I don't think Kizaru can match mihawk in pure swordsmanship without his devil fruit, but he is mainly a melee fighter. Even during his fight between Rayleigh, he used his other powers.
Oh I think he can give Mihawk extreme diff fight as a swordsman, that's as good as matching him. Nothing stops him from using other powers, they dont disqualify him from being a swordsman.
Fights with a sword(made of light) and matches top tier swordsmen and somehow he isnt a swordsman?
If he uses his light sword he would lose, however if he uses all his arsenal he might stand a chance. Stop thinking in a straight line where sword is above everything else. It's just not the case in one piece.
Stop thinking anything else in his arsenal will give him better chances or disqualify him as swordsman.

Oh I think he can give Mihawk extreme diff fight as a swordsman, that's as good as matching him. Nothing stops him from using other powers, they dont disqualify him from being a swordsman.
Fights with a sword(made of light) and matches to tier swordsmen and somehow he isnt a swordsman?

Stop thinking anything else in his arsenal will give him better chances or disqualify him as swordsman.
That's the thing, I'm not saying anything else is better in his arsenal, I'm saying anything else can make the difference.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
If Kizaru was a swordsman of Rayleigh's caliber, it means he heavily nerfs himself by not using a real sword. With a real sword, a Meito, he could unleash powerful flying slashes. Able to cut battleships or even a mountain like Pica into pieces. The light sword however only enables Kizaru to spar with another swordsman in CqC.
Cause when zoro used a knife or a scythe he couldnt do what he wanted right

Would akainu use a magma sword in that situation ? I very much doubt it.
Well yes , i doubt Akainu would resort to Swordsmanship . maybe Oda wanted to highlight Kizaru's versatility still

Anyway , i still don't believe Kizaru is a Swordsman , when most of the time he didn't even fight with a Sword , it was only against Rayleigh ( a Swordsman , and a super strong one at that ) that he decided to resort to Swordsmanship

In the entire MF he didn't use Murakumo . in Sabaody before Rayleigh he didn't either

Overall i view him as a versatile fighter , who has sword skills . but not a Swordsman , he doesn't even carry a Sword and fights without it most of the time , even against Whitebeard and Marco

In a serious prolonged fight against Awakened Akainu or Awakened Aokiji for example , i doubt he'll use a Sword , just like he didn't against WB and Marco . i think he'll utilize his piercing/explosive Light attacks more , it'll be interesting to see what his Awakened attacks , but i doubt they will be related to Sword when Kizaru isn't portrayed as a Swordsman , but as a versatile fighter who can use a Sword

His strongest attack to date aren't even coming from Murakumo either . it's Yasakani No Magatama , heck his regular finger and leg explosive light beams could be more powerful than his sword attacks

If he will fight against a Swordsman like Mihawk he may try to utilize Ama No Murakumo again , but i doubt he can match Mihawk's higher end sword attacks with it , so in the end he'll have to resort to his explosive/piercing Light attacks again

In the end , Kizaru def isn't a Swordsman for me .

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - what i meant by the bolded above , is light beams that can generate explosions like this

Last edited:

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
He started a 1vs1 against Hawkins without his sword. He didn't feel the need to use a sword against the strongest man alive aka whitebeard.
His fight against ray lasted 1 chapter, not enough to build a strong case. Next?
His fight against Rayleigh last longer than any other 1vs1 against a worthy opponent.
Zoro started barehanded against fodder too, didn't stop being a swordsman.
He was never in an actual fight with Whitebeard, cheap shot fest in MF cant help you.

I think Oda has done a poor job if he wants to portray Kizaru as a Swordsman .

1. He doesn't even carry a Sword ( in 99 % of his panel time )

you can mention any of his appearances besides vs Rayleigh . he was never seen with a Sword , be it when he appeared in Mariejois with Sengoku ( 504 ) , or in his appearance talking about Weevil ( 802 ) , or in the entire Marineford arc ( 550-581 ) , even when he confronted Whitebeard ( called by Sengoku as WSM ) and Marco
--------------------------------------------------------------

2. his strongest/most powerful attack is Yasakani No Magatama , not a Sword attack
even regular finger/leg beams like this could be more powerful than his Sword attacks
3. Never gets called as a Swordsman , even once in the manga

even in his Volume description ( the same description that Oda used to call Fujitora "a blind Swordsman" ) if i recall correctly he just called Kizaru "a Marine Admiral" .

Well i just checked Volume 58 . and Kizaru's description box just called him "a Navy Admiral" , it's in my languange though , but i'm pretty sure in VIZ he was never called a Swordsman either

Well i also now remember Shanks was never described as Swordsman in his box either
( from what i've seen ) , but his past rivalry with Mihawk strongly points to him being a Swordsman anyway . Kizaru doesn't have something rivalry like that

Shanks is also always seen with a Sword/Gryphon . Kizaru isn't . he also was called to have "top level Swordsmanship" or something like that in DataBook , Kizaru never .

Man people really have weird definitions while also putting the title or rather the tag "swordsman" on a pedestal when it literally just describes someone who can use sword as a fighting style.
Not using it most of the time simply means his swordsmanship is not his strongest forte, that´s all.

Let me share to you what I discovered when Oda displayed Roger’s swordsmanship:

1/For the people questioning Mihawk’s title and/or who have decided that there are « true » and « not true swordsman », being or not a « true swordsman » has nothing to do with being called a swordsman by the author or using a sword at your strongest. It has to do with your powerlevel.

2/If you are a top tier or a character that is in the same tier as Zoro but is perceived as stronger even tho you were called a swordsman by the author (Law, Fujitora) or you use a sword at your strongest (Roger, Rayleighor you are the rival of a swordsman and has several legendary duels against him (Shanks), those people will automatically considered that you are not a « true swordsman » no matter what.

3/Do those people question Diamante or Cabaji or Kaku « true swordsmanshipness »? No. Why? Because they are seen as to be weaker than Zoro.

What does this mean?
This mean that no amount of statement, panel or any other factual element will change those people mind. This mean that you are wasting your time discussing something ad nauseum when no middle ground will never be found.

Last edited:

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
He didn't have his swords. But I see you know zoro very well.:cheers:
Did it stop him from wrecking fodder?
I think Oda has done a poor job if he wants to portray Kizaru as a Swordsman .

1. He doesn't even carry a Sword ( in 99 % of his panel time )

you can mention any of his appearances besides vs Rayleigh . he was never seen with a Sword , be it when he appeared in Mariejois with Sengoku ( 504 ) , or in his appearance talking about Weevil ( 802 ) , or in the entire Marineford arc ( 550-581 ) , even when he confronted Whitebeard ( called by Sengoku as WSM ) and Marco
--------------------------------------------------------------

2. his strongest/most powerful attack is Yasakani No Magatama , not a Sword attack

even regular finger/leg beams like this could be more powerful than his Sword attacks

3. Never gets called as a Swordsman , even once in the manga

even in his Volume description ( the same description that Oda used to call Fujitora "a blind Swordsman" ) if i recall correctly he just called Kizaru "a Marine Admiral" .

Well i just checked Volume 58 . and Kizaru's description box just called him "a Navy Admiral" , it's in my languange though , but i'm pretty sure in VIZ he was never called a Swordsman either

Well i also now remember Shanks was never described as Swordsman in his box either
( from what i've seen ) , but his past rivalry with Mihawk strongly points to him being a Swordsman anyway . Kizaru doesn't have something rivalry like that

Shanks is also always seen with a Sword/Gryphon . Kizaru isn't . he also was called to have "top level Swordsmanship" or something like that in DataBook , Kizaru never .
1. Doesnt carry a sword because he can summon it out of nowhere anytime he wants, unlike most other ppl...
2. Law's strongest attack is gamma knife, still a swordsman.
3. Was Law ever called a swordsman in the manga itself? Were the 5 swordsmen vice admirals ever called swordsmen? Was Vista ever called swordsman? Was Roger? Was Shiki? Was Rocks?

1. Doesnt carry a sword because he can summon it out of nowhere anytime he wants, unlike most other ppl...
2. Law's strongest attack is gamma knife, still a swordsman.
3. Was Law ever called a swordsman in the manga itself? Were the 5 swordsmen vice admirals ever called swordsmen? Was Vista ever called swordsman? Was Roger? Was Shiki? Was Rocks?
1. and he doesn't use it most of the time . even against WB who was called WSM in MF by his superior Sengoku , and Marco

in fact it was only against Rayleigh that he decided to use Ama No Murakumo . any other time he didn't

2. Ok . but he is still utilizing his Sword a lot more than Kizaru

3. Don't remember . bu he was called one in a Colourspread iirc , but maybe it wasn't by Oda

Vista is obviously a Swordsman . BC VAs are as well . i guess Shiki as well

but Kizaru , Roger , and Rocks are ambiguous

Kizaru and Mihawk ain't even remotely comparable sword skill wise

Being a swordsman + a top tier doesn't automatically fill such a wide gap

Kuzan can and has made an ice sword before too
Akainu can likely do the same

And all the marines in general are all trained in swordsmanship
Yes and as long as they fight with a sword they are swordsmen.
If they stop fighting with swords they are no longer swordsmen. However, if they do decide to fight with the sword again then they Are swordsmen.