Best Written Kingdom Characters?

Best written characters?

• Total voters
That’s not why we think Kyoukai is mediocre.

Kyoukai is mediocre because several of her plot lines and lines of dialogue are cringe, generic, and poorly handled. Others have explained this in detail in the past, @Owl Ki has done a great job of explaining why Kyoukai is a poorly handled character in many instances so I won’t get in depth here, but the supernatural aspects of her character are not why people say she is poorly handled.
COULDN'T AGREE MORE

Ryofui and Riboku, but difficult to pick a third choice for me from that poll :hope:

Maybe will pick Rinko as he's overlooked, especially when it came to delivering a well drawn fight.
Post automatically merged:

Mougou was really well written. He went on a proper journey as a character, was able to evolve and ultimately finished at the top. Ouki was well written too.

I think Moubu is another one. The journey he went through from Bayou to the Coalition Arc was very well done.
Mougou was unique as a general. While not as talented as some of the Qin top dogs, his real talent lied in gathering these strong underlings to work and they still even respected him (Kanki)

Last edited:

Mashiro Blue

𝓦𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝓾𝓹𝓸𝓷 𝓪 𝓼𝓱𝓸𝓸𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝓻 ✰
Kyoukai is best girl in Kingdom.

As far as her personality goes, I guess that would be expected considering her past and her opening up but still retaining some traits derived from her "traumatic" experiences.

She's in the twilight of two different worlds.

But I understand people who don't like her that much.

Personal preferences aside, Ouki and Ryofui are well written characters. There are also some out there who go past their original characteristics in a proper character development process which add to the character as a whole.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Kyoukai is a good character but her power level is awfully inconsistent. It's just bad.

One minute, she's on the battlefield and yet hardly exists. The next minute, she's on the battlefield and is the next Kyou, comparable to Shin, Mouten and Ohon.
Her killing the 500 Kaishibou personal soldiers or during shukai plains etc was way too much

Tte girl is a one man army it can be boring

A lot of people thinks Kyoukai is not great written due to her supernatural power which was clearly EXPECTED in the series.
Nah, it is not the supernatural stuff that makes Kyoukai bad and I have defended Kingdom's supernatural aspects before. Me and Major have talked about her questionable implementation in the past.
Kyoukai is dangerously close to checking off every single generic shonen badass trait in the book lol. Over the years, we’ve had:

Raised as part of an assassin clan? Check.

Not just any assassin clan, but the strongest and most badass assassin clan? Check.

Literally exits an incredibly interesting plot line about politics and warfare to go pursue a generic revenge quest where she discovers that the true secret to strength is Nakama powers? Check.

And now in 2020 we have:

Mysteriously badass sibling enters the story completely out of nowhere and for seemingly no reason.

I don’t want to pass judgment about this subplot this quickly as we really don’t know where Hara is heading with this, but Kyoukai for me has always been the least well-written Kingdom character, and this arc is doing nothing to change that perception for me.

Couple this with her complete nonsense power level (she literally jumped 2 ranks after accomplishing relatively little at Shukai Plains, more than Shin jumped after slaying freaking Rinko and Keisha), and Kyoukai is metaphorically digging her own grave as a character imho.
@Admiral Lee Hung one other thing to add to that checklist is that Kai excels at things she should logically not excel at.

Being super strong through a lifetime of constant gruelling training in order to be the greatest assassin alive? Sure, I can buy that.

Excelling at tactics and strategies for large scale warfare? How the feck did that come from assassin training?

Not only is she better at it than she logically should be, she is better at it than individuals who have superior strategical training and experience.

Looking back at the Western Zhao Invasion Arc, one of the dumbest moments in the entire series is when the gang are scratching their heads at what Ousen is doing and it is Kyoukai who realises Ousen’s plan for using the refugees.

Out of a group consisting of

I) Ouhon and Mouten; two individuals noted for their strategical talent from noble families who would have paid for them to have private tutoring in the art of war.

II) Karyo Ten, the literal student of Shouheikan himself and basically the grand student of Koushou.

III) Shin, who has held the interest of Great Generals like Ouki/Duke Hyou and who would have been made a General an arc earlier if not for the Kanki incident.

It is somehow Kyoukai, the one individual with both the least experience and not a single shred of training or tutoring, that is the one to realise the plan of Ousen.

How? :kaidowhat:
Is unique vision not more Shin's deal though? What with him being an Instinctual type and all? Kyoukai is just a flat out strategic type with no training and she just out strategized all the life long strategists around here. Lol.

I agree. Kyoukai being the one to realise they needed Shin's instinctual talent was a good moment. I liked that moment. Lol.

What I really did not get about that entire subplot, was how it all went from Kyoukai promising to return to the HSU that she came to consider like family and then immediately aim to become a Qin Six Great General, which would split her from the HSU, for literally "just because" reasons. How did it even jump to that? :doffytroll:

As if we didn't already have a main character and his two rivals aiming for the exact same thing. :goatasure:

Another Kyoukai moment that stuck with me for it's sheer cringe was when Kai was facing off Ryuutou and unironically said "We are not Invaders, we are the Hi Shin Unit!!"..... :usoprice:

I do not want it to sound like I am bashing Kai or Kingdom. Kai obviously has enjoyable moments, good scenes and plenty of hype, while Kingdom is hands down my favourite work of fiction.

Despite that, it is impossible for me to look back at Kingdom, look at it's less stellar moments and not notice how Kai is in practically all of them
Kyoukai borders dangerously close to Mary Sue territory. She has little to no weaknesses or flaws, is grossly overpowered for the verse she is in and everybody generally gets on exceedingly well with her.

The only reason I don't consider her a Mary Sue is that Mary Sue type characters usually rack up tons of accomplishments while Kyoukai has done.... Well sod all really. She has killed one general in Ryuutou (better than nothing I guess) thus far and besides that, she is always on fodder clearance control.

It is like Hara is aware of how ridiculously strong he made this character thus he has to have her on a narrative leash at all times lest she screws up the storyline with her mere presence.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
The only reason I don't consider her a Mary Sue is that Mary Sue type characters usually rack up tons of accomplishments while Kyoukai has done.... Well sod all really. She has killed one general in Ryuutou (better than nothing I guess) thus far and besides that, she is always on fodder clearance control.
I still have flashbacks to Kyoukai slaughtering 500 Kaishibou elites all by herself. That was the single worst moment in all of Kingdom for me, by far.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
How tf didn't Kyoukai's skull not get bashed in when Houken, a man that crushed another soldiers head with his bare hands, slammed her around ?

Wished he at least turned her into a cripple. That scene was satisfying though ngl.
She suddenly remembered a forbidden Shiyuu breathing technique that she actually learned years ago that allowed her to increase the durability of her skull.

Kyoukai’s breathing techniques are Hara’s only plot ex machina’s in Kingdom. Whenever Hara writes himself into a corner, Kyoukai remembers something she learned years ago that randomly solves the problem.

:datas:

She suddenly remembered a forbidden Shiyuu breathing technique that she actually learned years ago that allowed her to increase the durability of her skull.

Kyoukai’s breathing techniques are Hara’s only plot ex machina’s in Kingdom. Whenever Hara writes himself into a corner, Kyoukai remembers something she learned years ago that randomly solves the problem.

:datas:
As if that wasn't trash enough dude actually threw another one of that shitty tribe into the mix
:kobeha:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
As if that wasn't trash enough dude actually threw another one of that shitty tribe into the mix
:kobeha:
And the sad thing? Even Kyourei so far has been better than Kyoukai
:shame:

I’m telling you guys, quote me on this, Kyoukai randomly remembering shit that gets the HSU out of trouble is a major problem lol.

Kyoukai randomly remembered how to bring Shin back from the dead. She learned the technique years ago but somehow forgot how to resurrect motherfuckers from death up until right when Shin dies lol.

Makes sense I guess, Kyoukai learned how to reverse mankind’s greatest calamity, death itself, but she simply forgot that she knew how to do that.

Too bad Kyoukai couldn’t have a sudden memory jog when Shousa died just days before, or when any of the other HSU members died lol.

Kyoukai also talk-no-jutsu’d Kyourei out of her bloodlusted state, solely because Kyoukai just randomly assumed that Rei’s training partner would’ve said something that completely invalidated Rei’s entire worldview to Rei moments before dying, and then Kyoukai just assumed that Rei had forgotten this earth-shattering statement from her life-long friend,

And this shit actually works in dragging Rei out of her frenzy lmfao. Like wut thee fuq.

Watch, as the battles get even more and more intense, Kyoukai will suddenly remember that she actually learned how to unify China years ago, and Kyoukai will singularly be responsible for China’s unification because she already learned how when she was a kid lol.

Last edited:
That’s not why we think Kyoukai is mediocre.

Kyoukai is mediocre because several of her plot lines and lines of dialogue are cringe, generic, and poorly handled. Others have explained this in detail in the past, @Owl Ki has done a great job of explaining why Kyoukai is a poorly handled character in many instances so I won’t get in depth here, but the supernatural aspects of her character are not why people say she is poorly handled.
Nah, it is not the supernatural stuff that makes Kyoukai bad and I have defended Kingdom's supernatural aspects before. Me and Major have talked about her questionable implementation in the past.

Kyoukai borders dangerously close to Mary Sue territory. She has little to no weaknesses or flaws, is grossly overpowered for the verse she is in and everybody generally gets on exceedingly well with her.

It is like Hara is aware of how ridiculously strong he made this character thus he has to have her on a narrative leash at all times lest she screws up the storyline with her mere presence.
Okay fair enough, but Hara always portrays Kyoukai as being one, if not, the strongest female character in the series. There's nothing wrong with a strong female character since we got tons of testosterone filled males in the series. Her background of Shiyuu is fine, it's not like she was the strongest of her clan, then you got Kyourei who can put up a fight with her is as much as Gaku Haku Kou pushes Shin to mid-high diff after defeating Houken.

And she usually works in the shadow of the Hi Shin Unit so her achievements are not as great as Shin and the likes. Still, she strives to aim for Great General position. I supposed her revenge arc might not be satisfied for some people but Hara seems to hint about the future of Shiyuu Clan during the Shiyuu Conflict arc (maybe Kyoukai and her sister talks to the elders about the fate of Shiyuu) but that's for another day.

About her knowledge of military affairs and what not, maybe she studies them. Assassins should be able to gain some basic knowledge to start off with, plus years usually pass by quickly, so Kyoukai must have gain experience along the way. Kyoukai's character is fine, y'all probably looking too much into it.

I still have flashbacks to Kyoukai slaughtering 500 Kaishibou elites all by herself. That was the single worst moment in all of Kingdom for me, by far.
Indeed. Not even Top Tiers have shown the ability to simply singlehandedly delete a 500 man elite unit off of the face of the planet.... and she did this while injured..... and before she was even a 1000 man commander...........

Yet despite being a one woman army that can solo demolish whole elite units for breakfast, she has accomplished very little on the battlefield and this is usually because Hara shelves her off to do some chores.

• Dalkan Plains, she babysits the team and acts as fodder control.

• Battle of Bayou, she sneakily kills some fodder (which is like the only actual assassin thing she has ever done), kills more fodder, lands a hit on Houken and then kills more fodder.

• Battle of Sanyou, fodder control, gets injured, knows some herbal remedies, singlehandedly consumes an entire fucking elite unit and passes out.

• Battle of Kankoku Pass, generally regarded as one of if not the best Kingdom Arc and would you look at that, no Kai in sight.

• Wei Fire Dragon Arc, fodder control, you know the drill.

• The Kanki Hills Arc, Hara has her go on a detour otherwise the HSU would just autowin. She kills Ryuutou. Fair enough.

• Shukai Plains, fodder control, weaken Houken for Shin, Red Stairs plot which I still pray results in her losing that stupid ability.

It is just weird that you have this unit demolisher accomplishing next to nothing. It is less Kyoukai not accomplishing things and more Hara not allowing her to accomplish things cause he knows if he doesn't hold her back then everyone is going to realize how stupidly out of place this character is. Lol.

TheKnightOfTheSea

𝕷𝖔𝖗𝖉 𝖔𝖋 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓'𝖘 𝕾𝖕𝖆𝖜𝖓
Indeed. Not even Top Tiers have shown the ability to simply singlehandedly delete a 500 man elite unit off of the face of the planet.... and she did this while injured..... and before she was even a 1000 man commander...........

Yet despite being a one woman army that can solo demolish whole elite units for breakfast, she has accomplished very little on the battlefield and this is usually because Hara shelves her off to do some chores.

• Dalkan Plains, she babysits the team and acts as fodder control.

• Battle of Bayou, she sneakily kills some fodder (which is like the only actual assassin thing she has ever done), kills more fodder, lands a hit on Houken and then kills more fodder.

• Battle of Sanyou, fodder control, gets injured, knows some herbal remedies, singlehandedly consumes an entire fucking elite unit and passes out.

• Battle of Kankoku Pass, generally regarded as one of if not the best Kingdom Arc and would you look at that, no Kai in sight.

• Wei Fire Dragon Arc, fodder control, you know the drill.

• The Kanki Hills Arc, Hara has her go on a detour otherwise the HSU would just autowin. She kills Ryuutou. Fair enough.

• Shukai Plains, fodder control, weaken Houken for Shin, Red Stairs plot which I still pray results in her losing that stupid ability.

It is just weird that you have this unit demolisher accomplishing next to nothing. It is less Kyoukai not accomplishing things and more Hara not allowing her to accomplish things cause he knows if he doesn't hold her back then everyone is going to realize how stupidly out of place this character is. Lol.
It's really fucking weird that Kyoukai only had one general kill.

Remember how Rinko killed important officers in Mougou's army before the battle properly started? Hara should make Kyoukai do that.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
There's nothing wrong with a strong female character since we got tons of testosterone filled males in the series.
I’m glad you brought this up. Yes, strong female characters are a great thing. Yo Tan Wa is one of the strongest characters in all of Kingdom and she is female. I remember at the end of the Coalition War, there was a moment where Houken and Yotanwa locked eyes and it looked like they were going to fight each other, and I remember thinking to myself “damn. Houken is in trouble.” Lol

Karin is also one of the strongest in Kingdom even though we’ve never seen her fight. Karin claims that she is just as strong as Kanmei in a fight, and sure she’s probably a bit weaker but she’s probably pretty close to him in power.

Both Yotanwa and Karin are excellent characters and there is nothing wrong with their power levels.

Kyoukai on the other hand, is retardedly powerful. So powerful that it ruins my enjoyment of Kingdom at times and obliterates my feeling of disbelief. Kyoukai slaughtering Kaishibou’s troops for example…I had to put Kingdom down for a couple of days after that. It was such a ridiculously stupid moment that I straight up stopped reading what was at the time, my favorite Kingdom arc.

All because Hara made Kyoukai too nonsensically strong.

Strong females are great. Characters who are so broken that they ruin all enjoyment of a story are not great at all.

Battle of Sanyou, fodder control, gets injured, knows some herbal remedies, singlehandedly consumes an entire fucking elite unit and passes out.
I busted out laughing reading this. Lol

Shukai Plains, fodder control, weaken Houken for Shin, Red Stairs plot which I still pray results in her losing that stupid ability.
Yeah I’ve said this before, but look at what Shin accomplished in Shukai Plains:

Slayed two Zhao Generals, one of whom was a Heavenly King level commander, and slays a fucking Great Heaven of Zhao-> Shin advances one rank in the Qin military.

Ouhon during Chiyoyou:

Tactically and martially defeats a Wei Fire Dragon after openly speaking against a strategy devised by Tou himself, strategically defeating Gohoumei in the process, Ouhon is singlehandedly responsible for Qin winning a battle that looked very bleak-> Ouhon advances only one rank to 5K man commander.

Kyoukai at Shukai Plains:

Kyoukai kills some ordinary soldiers, and Earl Kou? I think? -> Kyoukai advances two ranks, from 3K commander to 5K commander.

Honestly I’m fine with everyone’s ranks right now but it just feels like Hara is intentionally sidelining the most broken character in the manga. But like also, I’m glad he is, because the less Kyoukai, the better.

Last edited:
I’m glad you brought this up. Yes, strong female characters are a great thing. Yo Tan Wa is one of the strongest characters in all of Kingdom and she is female. I remember at the end of the Coalition War, there was a moment where Houken and Yotanwa locked eyes and it looked like they were going to fight each other, and I remember thinking to myself “damn. Houken is in trouble.” Lol

Karin is also one of the strongest in Kingdom even though we’ve never seen her fight. Karin claims that she is just as strong as Kanmei in a fight, and sure she’s probably a bit weaker but she’s probably pretty close to him in power.

Both Yotanwa and Karin are excellent characters and there is nothing wrong with their power levels.

Kyoukai on the other hand, is retardedly powerful. So powerful that it ruins my enjoyment of Kingdom at times and obliterates my feeling of disbelief. Kyoukai slaughtering Kaishibou’s troops for example…I had to put Kingdom down for a couple of days after that. It was such a ridiculously stupid moment that I straight up stopped reading what was at the time, my favorite Kingdom arc.

All because Hara made Kyoukai too nonsensically strong.

Strong females are great. Characters who are so broken that they ruin all enjoyment of a story are not great at all.

I busted out laughing reading this. Lol

Yeah I’ve said this before, but look at what Shin accomplished in Shukai Plains:

Slayed two Zhao Generals, one of whom was a Heavenly King level commander, and slays a fucking Great Heaven of Zhao-> Shin advances one rank in the Qin military.

Ouhon during Chiyoyou:

Tactically and martially defeats a Wei Fire Dragon after openly speaking against a strategy devised by Tou himself, strategically defeating Gohoumei in the process, Ouhon is singlehandedly responsible for Qin winning a battle that looked very bleak-> Ouhon advances only one rank to 5K man commander.

Kyoukai at Shukai Plains:

Kyoukai kills some ordinary soldiers, and Earl Kou? I think? -> Kyoukai advances two ranks, from 3K commander to 5K commander.

Honestly I’m fine with everyone’s ranks right now but it just feels like Hara is intentionally sidelining the most broken character in the manga. But like also, I’m glad he is, because the less Kyoukai, the better.
Fair. I'm always interested in female characters than male characters in most types of fiction and literature anyway so I usually have bias towards them but I'm not disagree with you or anything. It would have more bullshit if Kyoukai slain Kaishibou's 500 elite soldiers and still keep going instead of passing out.

And depending on the newest arc, I'm hoping Kyoukai will get her own 1v1 fight with an actual strong General this time. And there's plenty of them mind you. Hara won't miss this chance to showcase her full strength and potential.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Fair. I'm always interested in female characters than male characters in most types of fiction and literature anyway so I usually have bias towards them but I'm not disagree with you or anything. It would have more bullshit if Kyoukai slain Kaishibou's 500 elite soldiers and still keep going instead of passing out.
I would’ve preferred it if Hara would’ve shown Kyoukai killing some of Kaishibou’s troops, but then after cutting away, Kaishibou’s elites would’ve showed up at Mougou’s HQ anyway. Like his troops would’ve destroyed what remained of the HSU (which I think they did in canon anyway), but would’ve continued riding towards Mougou’s HQ instead of staying behind to try and slay the one invincible Shiyuu that was about to pass out anyway.

This way Kyoukai would’ve looked far less broken. She would’ve had her badass moment of slaying some elite warriors while wounded, but wouldn’t have looked like a literal unstoppable one-man army. And Kaishibou’s elite troops making it to Mougou’s HQ would’ve likely not changed the outcome of the arc anyway, as Renpa would’ve still surrendered since the presences of an extra 500ish troops would not have changed Renpa’s reason for surrendering.

All Hara had to do was not have Kyoukai eat an entire army by herself but he hardcore shat the bed here.

I'm hoping Kyoukai will get her own 1v1 fight with an actual strong General this time
The problem is that no traditional Generals stand a chance at competing with her due to the nature of her fighting style. The only generals we’ve met who could’ve competed with Kai’s martial arts were Houken and Gakuhaku Kou. I’m very surprised GHK didn’t square up against Kyoukai actually. It pains me to say but warriors like Bananji and Gyou’Un would get rolled over by Kyoukai and killed pretty quickly. Even the recently introduced Jiaga who seems extremely strong would likely have no answer to Kyoukai’s broken fighting method.

It takes an extremely unique type of warrior to give Kyoukai an interesting fight, and the more of these characters Hara introduces, the less unique they become.

Okay fair enough, but Hara always portrays Kyoukai as being one, if not, the strongest female character in the series. There's nothing wrong with a strong female character since we got tons of testosterone filled males in the series.
Don't give me the strong women crap. There are well written, strong female Generals in this manga like Yotanwa and Karin that don't break the in-verse logic scale.

The problem with Kyoukai isn't that she is strong, it is that she is so stupidly strong that she is downright capable of stuff that not even Top Tiers in their prime can accomplish.

Ouki, Renpa, Moubu, Yotanwa, anyone else, none of these folk can simply singlehandedly demolish an entire elite unit by themselves, they need their own unit to back them up. Sure they will do the lion's share of the work but they still need some backup, they aren't going to solo a whole elite unit by themselves.
And she usually works in the shadow of the Hi Shin Unit so her achievements are not as great as Shin and the likes. Still, she strives to aim for Great General position. I supposed her revenge arc might not be satisfied for some people but Hara seems to hint about the future of Shiyuu Clan during the Shiyuu Conflict arc (maybe Kyoukai and her sister talks to the elders about the fate of Shiyuu) but that's for another day.
Shadows my arse, she is the second smartest person in the team, the strongest fighter and a stellar team player since the start because God forbid this character have a single flaw or weakness.

The Revenge Arc was another dumb arse moment.

So we get pulled out of interesting wars, politics and stuff for this generic revenge arc? Ok, change of pace, fine, it's not too long, I don't mind.

So her revelation is that bonds of friendship are important.

No problems here.

So she goes back to her unit because bonds.

Nice.

Then she announces out of the blue that she suddenly wants to be a Great General which would inevitably tear her away from the HSU.

What?

WHAT??????

This is almost as dumb as that time she said "We are not invaders, we are the Hi Shin Unit!".

Now that is singlehandedly the dumbest moment in this manga.
About her knowledge of military affairs and what not, maybe she studies them. Assassins should be able to gain some basic knowledge to start off with, plus years usually pass by quickly, so Kyoukai must have gain experience along the way. Kyoukai's character is fine, y'all probably looking too much into it.
I don't mind her being strategically competent.

I mind her being smarter than full blown strategists that have studied in professional military schools, some of which were tutored by military geniuses like Shouheikan. This also undermines Shin because both of these characters didn't have access to professional military schools but Kai not only manages despite what should be a disadvantage, she straight up excels.

I love Kingdom, I really do and I adore the character cast but I cannot help but notice how the quality takes a hit every single time that there is a focus on either Kai or the Shiyuu in general. It is like both of these things walked out of a different manga and accidentally ended up in Kingdom.

In a world where assassins are generally above average folk that dick on unarmed politicians, the Shiyuu produce super duper uber soldiers.

In a world where strong warriors lead their trusted subordinates to battle and fight together to achieve victory, Kai can just casually swallow elite units whole.

In a world where the supernatural is something that people see in the corner of their eye, hearing the faintest phantom whisper in their ear only to pass it of as their imagination, Kyoukai resurrects a dead man.

In world that is a canvas where nearly every character is a delicate stroke of the finest paint brush, Kai is a yard brush. There is no subtlety with this character.
And Kyourei is somehow just or more trash

She's the Yamato of Kingdom. Hope she doesn't take away too much paneltime from the more interesting hi shin members
I would actually take Rei over Kai. If nothing else, Rei isn't exceedingly smart as well as idiotically strong. She simply follows orders and carries them out to the best of her ability (which is smashing things). There is at least some form of weakness/flaw there.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Ouki, Renpa, Moubu, Yotanwa, anyone else, none of these folk can simply singlehandedly demolish an entire elite unit by themselves
Houken might be able to actually. He tore into Kyou’s 2,000 man bodyguard unit and slayed Kyou herself single-hangedly. Kyou’s bodyguards were also not giving him any real trouble and he was dealing with them by the dozens quite easily.

Houken also easily and overwhelmingly slaughtered Gekishin’s Quanrong troops by the dozens, so severely that they actually stopped trying to fight him out of fear. The fucking Quanrong who are known for their brutality and savage strength, were scared of Houken with no backup. Lol

Houken’s power level has also been criticized, but the thing with Houken is that the story acknowledges how powerful Houken is. Like he goes straight from being ranked beneath a foot soldier of Zhao to being a Great Heaven solely because of his fighting prowess. Hara doesn’t fuck around with Houken you know? He makes him a Great General straight up in spite of the fact that he has no military knowledge or leadership training to speak of. Zhao recognizes his terrifying power when this literal random hobo shows up and starts killing top tier Great Generals of other states.

With Kyoukai, Hara made her practically as broken as Houken, but is then forced to sideline her because she is so broken that she ruins the tension in the story.

Hara uses Houken’s power to massively build him up as a threat and opposing force to Shin and co.,

Meanwhile Hara made Kyoukai almost as strong as Houken for no reason other than unashamed fanservice, and then sidelines her because she is literally too powerful for the manga to be enjoyable with her actually accomplishing as much as she is capable of.