General & Others Cases of lazy writing ?

- Law's plan was heavily reliant on Luffy coming across PH.
- The body mind swaps did not serve any real purpose.
- Smoker and Tashigi needed some serious rewrite . For instance, Nami and Tashigi scene in the anime was a lot better than the manga.
- DR was too long and should have been a saga covering 3 to 4 islands to improve the pace.
- Robin not coming to WCI was a missed opportunity.
-Reiju conveniently having the keys to Sanji's handcuffs.

Shisui

Never Feed The Badders Pasta
I really don't have any issues with Oda's writing. My only issue about the manga is the off-panel fights. He really need to cut that shit out. This man off-panelled Akainu vs Aokiji but made us suffer through Luffy vs Foxy. :giogio:
Post automatically merged:

I forgot about Big Mom getting piped by a Dwarf :crazwhat:...Yeaaahh I am gna need a detailed explanation on that one:few:

Last edited:
Some examples I can think of right now:

-Napoleon did nothing during Big Mom's amnesia because it's shy. How convenient...

-Sanji and company found Kin'emon and the others "somehow", no detailed explanation given.

-Law being magically cured of his disease because of eating the Ope Ope in spite of giving no further explanation on how this happened or why Law could cure something so deadly, in its later stage and being just a kid doctor and amateur fruit user before it killed him.

-It remains unexplained how Moriah travelled with Thriller Bark to Paradise or how Krieg came back from it.

-Nobody ever addresses anything of importance. Robin spent two years with the revolutionaries but said nothing about it, Luffy knew Linlin was in Wano yet this was never touched upon, etc. Sometimes it feels like the characters don't share information in a natural way because it would negatively affect the plot Oda is preparing, but it makes no sense for Robin to know Sabo and keep it a secret, for example.

-Sanji wanting to save his family's lives. Overall, the whole narrative of Sanji being the kindest man we were given in Whole Cake Island felt completely lazy as forced to make the Vinsmoke's plot feasible. Sanji is the kindest when feeding people, but that's it; he had no problem with leaving a wounded Wiper untreated, nor gave a damn about the kids in Punk Hazard at first, and was okay with letting the minks die in advance of their potential threat to the group. He's a strategist, even machiavellian thinker, but certainly not the kindest, so I see no reason why he would want to save the sociopaths of his relatives.

-The Straw Hats fighting styles overall except for Luffy to a certain degree and maybe Brook because of the soul music.

-Hiyori giving Enma to a stranger like Zoro.

-The whole prophecy thing is becoming more and more lazy as chapters pass. No proper, well-written prophecy explicitly states things like "pirates will come to the New World to do this". That's not a prophecy, that's a spoiler.

-For an arc foreshadowed for so long, Wano's plot, and specifically that of the Kozuki clan, is a mess. It was first miscalled "Kogetsu"; then Kin'emon needed to formally introduce himself as a retainer and show his tattooed back to his later-to-be revealed close friends Inuarashi and Nekomamushi;, then the minks postrated themselves in spite of being as much of a retainer as Kanjuro and Kin and referred to Raizou with the "-dono" particle, which is a bit formal and the retainers never used it to speak to themselves (if I recall correctly) but to less-close acquaintances; then it is stated that Kaido was after Oden because of his knowledge of Laugh Tale yet this is never addressed during the flashback; then Oden is set to be executed yet is allowed to keep his swords inside the cage, and not only that, but Toki is able to freely approach him even though that same cage was shown to be guarded by Orochi's men previously; and well, I don't need to talk about the whole Whitebeard situation we all know.

Imagine thinking a character cant evolve during a manga.
You may not like MHA, but if there are some good things about it, they would be Deku and Bakugo progressions. The progression from these 2 characters is the more noteworthy thing about MHA. And here you are, stuck with the notion that characters cant have progression and One Piece is a "battle shounen".
Truth be told, post time skip it might actually be one. That's why is lazy.
Post automatically merged:

That is a MAJOR point.
Dude is constantly taking breaks so he doesnt collapse from all his work.
Going for an easier route is only natural. But doesn't make it less bad.
I understand the Oda's health factor, but he could hire more assistants, people that are trained in his drawing style. He can focus on more elaborated panels like double spreads, but leave the rest to capable people to take some of the heavy load of work from his back.
The thing is, ultimately, regardless of health conditions, the decision to keep writing and drawing One Piece is Oda's. If he makes the commitment to keep doing it, then it's him who should deliver.
The showrunners of Game of Thrones decided they wanted to have all the script writing to themselves. Once the books were over and they had to "create", they COULD have hired a team to help them, but they didn't. And the last seasons were garbage. It was their call. And it was their failure.
There are also problems with One Piece that have nothing to with Oda's health or workload.
The female designs are just his fetish. The Sanji's ultra pervert gags also have nothing to do with his health.
So, a character can be either stagnate or hyper complex?
What makes an adventure enjoyable is precisely ther characters involved in it and their interactions in this journey.
Dude, back during Buggy first arc, even a fucking random Dog had a flashback. How can you say One Piece is not about the characters?
Luffy challenges the whole world to keep his friends by his side, because he WANTS them by his side during his journey.
He literally said he couldn't become PK without Sanji, something that he would have said to ANY other SH member.
There are levels of complexity to characters. You don't need them all to be multi-layered puzzles, but at least make them a little bit more relatable. And being relatable also means growing up.
The one that bothers me the most is Usopp. Before he was just a "regular kid" among these freaking powerhouses, just trying his best, and overcoming challenges in a creative way.
Now? He is just....there. Spent 2 years in Jumanji, getting buffed, developing new weapon with is pop greens, first time post timeskip he was all confident and shit, buffed, as immediately reverted back to being the EXACTLY same character he was when he was a skinny ass coward. Became a buffed ass coward.
For real?
Relate to these characters when you start reading is one thing, but again, I've been following One Piece for 14 years. There are people who have been following it since the beginning. We've been following it for longer than the target audience have been alive. We've grown. The characters didn't.
It is bound to make people dislike this route.
Man, you're on fire today.:finally::finally:

There is no adventure anymore. :josad:
The problem is that Oda changed the One Piece world from this mysterious place where the entire Grandline is a mystery
Into this hyper connected world where even Sanji knew about Wano culture back in Punk Hazard

Worst part is how much is makes a lot of Part 1 plotlines look weird. How can Chopper get lynched when weirder looking people are all over the world, why did People at the idea of a sky islands when apparently pirates go there all the time and Urouge was sailing Paradise. Why the fuck were devil Fruits treated like a myth when The Admirals and Yonkos are well known.

The more Interconnected The One Piece world becomes the worse Part 1 becomes in hindsight

Most of the things you guys are pointing out aren't lazy writings, it's just inconsistencies or things you don't like.
A case of lazy writing is Jimbei coming back without any explanation of how he escaped Big Mom and her forces.
Another example is Big Mom regaining her memories and then directly going to sleep.

Lack of screen time for the other straw hats isn't lazy writing, it's a choice from the author to put other characters at the front (supernovas, members of the fleet, etc...).

Most of the things you guys are pointing out aren't lazy writings, it's just inconsistencies or things you don't like.
A case of lazy writing is Jimbei coming back without any explanation of how he escaped Big Mom and her forces.
Another example is Big Mom regaining her memories and then directly going to sleep.

Lack of screen time for the other straw hats isn't lazy writing, it's a choice from the author to put other characters at the front (supernovas, members of the fleet, etc...).
the jinbe bit is not lazy writing, i think. You can guess it based on the last scene at WCI. Jinbe probably just took advantage of their ability to stir the ocean to run away. And the big mom pirates also got their attention divided to the germa kingdom

Big mom sayed jinbei sink her ships i guess that a good enough explanation