General & Others Cases of lazy writing ?

Sanji's gag became so unbearable to me during my first view of One Piece after the time skip that I used to pretty much skip them.
Zoro's progression as well is laughable, totally unbelievable and Oda can't draw a proper fight for him, it is always the same stuff - Zoro teleports behind his opponent and beats him. Actually most swords fights in OP just lacks in general.
The SH's division after Dressrosa was poorly executed and nothing really fruitful came out of it, what Chopper really did in WCI that was memorable? Fucking Carrot had more importance there.
But I still pretty much love One Piece and enjoy most of it, I reread the entire first half of it and some stuff that people are complaining here also happened there. Plot devices and many other stuff is not new to One Piece.

Every single "knock devil fruit user out to cancel their power" after Moria. Killing Steve Jobs won't destroy all iPhones.
It's almost like magic or something

Anyway DF powers don't really bother me except I'm not sure what we're supposed to say with Law. The only thing that stops his powers from being invincible is the plot I guess. It makes sense if you give Dofy the benefit of knowing where to not be, but anyone else? "Man if he tries to swap my heart I'll kick his ass!" It kind of just works like that

@Doggo has a point. The writing has definitely fallen off some post time skip. The canon/content doesn't feel as rich as it used to. Oda pays no attention to character development involving the Straw Hats outside of Luffy. I don't give a shit about Oden's 7 retainer swordsmen I want to learn more about Zoro's development and Nico Robin's connection to Poneglyphs in Wano. And why has Sanji become such a scrub? These are the characters that we have fallen in love with since the beginning and Oda chooses to focus on gag moments and shitty characters more than Straw Hat character development. The repetitive bad comedy and the traditional tropes are also getting tiresome.

I love One Piece, but I'd be lying if I said Oda's writing wasn't annoying as shit sometimes.

Last edited:

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
What I fear the most is the fact that we are reaching the endgame.
There are still SO MANY plot points that need to be adressed, that it will inevitably be rushed. This "war" looks more and more like "I have no time to develop everything I created, so I'm gonna throw it all together mixed in one final confrontation, to not have any loose ends".

I HOPE I'm wrong, and even if I'm right, I HOPE Oda still manages to do a fine job, delivering a good "final war".
But these hopes are not very high, ngl.

We know about 2 weapons, 1 still we have no information on it. What's Shanks agenda? Imu-sama? Gorosei? BB? Elbaf? Vivi? Sabo? Revolutionary Army? Dragon? Zoro's confrontation against Mihawk? Vegapunk? Aokiji? SSG? Final Road Poneglyph? Laugh Tale?
Too many plots, so little time.

Wouldn’t exactly use the word lazy, though I just think back to when Zoro gave his opinion as to how Luffy should go about having Usopp be back in the crew, and talked about Usopp as if he’d turn into some heartless dissenter who’d walk all over the feelings of Luffy and the others and shake up their trust and safety to the point of falling apart unless he apologized. I just get the feeling that if the safety of the crew meant that much in that it’s not just a game, then I think that it would be reasonable to want to see more than just Usopp lowering his head to the ground, shedding some tears, and saying sorry a few times.

Not that I’m accusing of Oda necessarily portraying it like “Usopp said sorry, so everything is okey dokey because it’s guaranteed that Usopp will never do that again.” though if Zoro will take it up a notch by questioning Usopp and why he did what he did on such a whim, then why not take it up a notch further in things like “How do we know Usopp isn’t being a really good actor?”

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Said it before but Zoro becoming a criminal at the start of Wano is lazy writing. He got caught cause the residents spotted the legendary Shushui on his hip.....why Kinemon would let Zoro walk around with the National Treasure of the country they're supposed to be sneaking around in undetected is beyond me.

So, a character can be either stagnate or hyper complex?
What makes an adventure enjoyable is precisely ther characters involved in it and their interactions in this journey.
Dude, back during Buggy first arc, even a fucking random Dog had a flashback. How can you say One Piece is not about the characters?
Luffy challenges the whole world to keep his friends by his side, because he WANTS them by his side during his journey.
He literally said he couldn't become PK without Sanji, something that he would have said to ANY other SH member.
There are levels of complexity to characters. You don't need them all to be multi-layered puzzles, but at least make them a little bit more relatable. And being relatable also means growing up.
The one that bothers me the most is Usopp. Before he was just a "regular kid" among these freaking powerhouses, just trying his best, and overcoming challenges in a creative way.
Now? He is just....there. Spent 2 years in Jumanji, getting buffed, developing new weapon with is pop greens, first time post timeskip he was all confident and shit, buffed, as immediately reverted back to being the EXACTLY same character he was when he was a skinny ass coward. Became a buffed ass coward.
For real?
Relate to these characters when you start reading is one thing, but again, I've been following One Piece for 14 years. There are people who have been following it since the beginning. We've been following it for longer than the target audience have been alive. We've grown. The characters didn't.
It is bound to make people dislike this route.
Definition of brave
1: having or showing mental or moral strength to face danger, fear, or difficulty

Said it before but Zoro becoming a criminal at the start of Wano is lazy writing. He got caught cause the residents spotted the legendary Shushui on his hip.....why Kinemon would let Zoro walk around with the National Treasure of the country they're supposed to be sneaking around in undetected is beyond me.
Are they? I thought he got caught because he was nearby of murdering?

Yeah, he should have confiscated it
:seriously:

The only true instance of pure lazy writing was in Enies Lobby when the Going Merry travelled all the way back from Water 7 to one of the most secure Marine strongholds IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING BUSTER CALL and managed to save everyone by itself.

Since then, One Piece has objectively gotten better in terms of focus, comedy, action, direction, characterisation, pacing and just about every other aspect of writing.

My favorite is still all the lazy decisions Oda made at WCI screw it, with the Meme Team in general. Meme falling for a fake skeleton would have been ok if it the SHs had least used actual hair, but lol nope, they used seaweed and Meme still fell for it hook, line, and sinker. As for the rest: Brulee not noticing that the Carrot they thought they had was a copy, Big Meme attacking the chefs instead of the people who ruined her cake, the Perospero/Vinsmoke fiasco, Smoothie and Compote, Meme constantly getting humiliated in the Great Cake Chase, Katakuri only thinking of destroying the Sunny when he was off the ship, the Meme Team not being able to kill their targets (the ship swap at the end was especially grating), King casually soloing Meme and her entire crew, the whole amnesia and memory recovery plot, Meme’s crew getting sent back down the waterfall again by Marco...that’s all I can remember off the top of my head, and I’m sure Oda is far from done with them.