Fanclub Critics Club

Poll #1 — Which Arc is Worse?

• Total voters
I disagree with this. Oda is not rushing anything. It is in fact the exact opposite. Oda is utterly dragging everything out.

Take Whole Cake Island. It is 78 Chapters long.

That makes it as long as the Impel Down (25 Chapters), Marineford (31 Chapters), Post War (17 Chapters) and Return to Sabaody (5 Chapters) arcs combined.

What truly makes this ridiculous is the fact that WCI was supposedly a “smash and grab” arc like Impel Down despite the fact that it is over 3x longer.

The most grievously guilty party to excessively bloated pacing however is Dressrosa. It is 102 chapters long. The Summit War Saga is 108 chapters. I repeat, Dressrosa Arc is only 6 chapters less then the entire Summit War Saga.

Meanwhile, Wano is currently on its 61st Chapter. It is already 2 Chapters shy of matching Alabasta (63 chapters) and 5 chapters shy of matching Skypiea (66 chapters). We have not even got to the Fire Festival yet.

If Oda is trying to rush the plot then he is going about it in an exceedingly ineffective and contradictory fashion.
I think you're both right.

Oda's managed to pull off an impressive feat in having the pacing be both rushed and dragged simultaneously.

He has all of these ideas and instead of condensing and only focusing on a few, he draws tons of these different plots, but then gets concerned about the time they take up and so rushes through all of them.

As a result, instead of having a few good plots, you can a shit ton of trashy, rushed plots instead, which still take up tons of time and space.

J

Jo_Ndule

I disagree with this. Oda is not rushing anything. It is in fact the exact opposite. Oda is utterly dragging everything out.

Take Whole Cake Island. It is 78 Chapters long.

That makes it as long as the Impel Down (25 Chapters), Marineford (31 Chapters), Post War (17 Chapters) and Return to Sabaody (5 Chapters) arcs combined.

What truly makes this ridiculous is the fact that WCI was supposedly a “smash and grab” arc like Impel Down despite the fact that it is over 3x longer.

The most grievously guilty party to excessively bloated pacing however is Dressrosa. It is 102 chapters long. The Summit War Saga is 108 chapters. I repeat, Dressrosa Arc is only 6 chapters less then the entire Summit War Saga.

Meanwhile, Wano is currently on its 61st Chapter. It is already 2 Chapters shy of matching Alabasta (63 chapters) and 5 chapters shy of matching Skypiea (66 chapters). We have not even got to the Fire Festival yet.

If Oda is trying to rush the plot then he is going about it in an exceedingly ineffective and contradictory fashion.
I agree

The thing with Oda is this:

He started rushing at second half of WCI when he realised he messed up lol
The original plan derailed.

Same thing here, he realised he is dragging the flashbacks and arc , doesn't wanna spoil much so he starts rushing the events

He wanna end it fast but ends up dragging and forcing dramas
Then when he realises his mess, he tries hard rushing and ending it

Which then gives birth to the Mess we have as WCI climax, Oden flashbacks climax.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Was planning on making this for a while but you know how powerful the drug called laziness can be. Pretty addicting. Anyways, *deep breath*

1. Sanji's chilvary and selfishness has never worked. The narrative presents Sanji as a man who is so selfless, that he will help even his own enemy at his own expense. That will would be just fine if Sanji's actions affected him alone but it doesnt; Sanji's selflessness, which are just his own personal values, affects his allies negatively. Sanji's almost caused the Baratie to be stolen by Krieg despite his fellow chefs warning him beforehand of Krieg's reputation. Sanji refused to comprise his values to defeat Kalifa and save Robin. He got a grand moment of him declaring that even if it kills him, he'll never kick a woman but apparantly it doesnt matter if it kills his own crewmates. The most recent example in WCI where Sanji's "selflessness" only caused a powerful enemy to be saved and cause even more trouble for his crewmates and allies. Oda's attempts at making Sanji selfless ironically succeeded in making Sanji one of the most unintentionally selfish characters in the series.

2. Luffy is what you call a positive flat character. By design, Luffy is supposed to change the world around them and not be changed by the world themselves. Being the embodiment of what the series represents, Luffy instead changes those around him for the better and his own development is subtle(Luffy lost his mind against Foxy for cheating but against Katakuri, exclaimed that there is no such thing as cheating in a pirate battle). Luffy can only be 2 dimensional at best. With this said, somehow, Luffy regressed as a character. In Alabasta, Luffy was able to convince his entire crew that talking to the rebels would be meaningless as long as Crocdile is manipulating things from the shadows so they have to defeat Crocodile first. A very logical conclusion. Luffy nowadays has a gag where he gets a headache for thinking too much.

Some already seen me post this in the last Critic thread.

Was planning on making this for a while but you know how powerful the drug called laziness can be. Pretty addicting. Anyways, *deep breath*

1. Sanji's chilvary and selfishness has never worked. The narrative presents Sanji as a man who is so selfless, that he will help even his own enemy at his own expense. That will would be just fine if Sanji's actions affected him alone but it doesnt; Sanji's selflessness, which are just his own personal values, affects his allies negatively. Sanji's almost caused the Baratie to be stolen by Krieg despite his fellow chefs warning him beforehand of Krieg's reputation. Sanji refused to comprise his values to defeat Kalifa and save Robin. He got a grand moment of him declaring that even if it kills him, he'll never kick a woman but apparantly it doesnt matter if it kills his own crewmates. The most recent example in WCI where Sanji's "selflessness" only caused a powerful enemy to be saved and cause even more trouble for his crewmates and allies. Oda's attempts at making Sanji selfless ironically succeeded in making Sanji one of the most unintentionally selfish characters in the series.

2. Luffy is what you call a positive flat character. By design, Luffy is supposed to change the world around them and not be changed by the world themselves. Being the embodiment of what the series represents, Luffy instead changes those around him for the better and his own development is subtle(Luffy lost his mind against Foxy for cheating but against Katakuri, exclaimed that there is no such thing as cheating in a pirate battle). Luffy can only be 2 dimensional at best. With this said, somehow, Luffy regressed as a character. In Alabasta, Luffy was able to convince his entire crew that talking to the rebels would be meaningless as long as Crocdile is manipulating things from the shadows so they have to defeat Crocodile first. A very logical conclusion. Luffy nowadays has a gag where he gets a headache for thinking too much.

Some already seen me post this in the last Critic thread.
Always a damn pleasure to read your post ^^
I don't really have anything to add, I've heard this before and it resonates even stronger today than it did the first time I heard it.

Bogard

You can't win
I think i might know the reason why Oden didn't attempt to attack Kaido before, but it still doesn't make sense to be honest

The viz talked about Oden wanting to avoid sacrifices while killing Kaido

And the previous chapter talked about "ships"

It makes me think that the reason Oden didn't attempt to attack Kaido is because Oden wanted to avoid a battle of numbers where many of the Wano folks would have been sacrificed, and Kaido/Orochi took advantage of this to promise ships to Oden for the civilians to evacuate before their battle in order to avoid sacrifices, while he'd have to be Orochi's dog in order to humiliate himself and lose Wano's support

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
I ain't really sure tbh.. At least WCI had one real decent beginning. Pretty much nothing in Wano has seemed all that good to me :/
Granted I skim read quite a bit nowadays, I don't have as much patience for it
Yes WCI and Wano are pole opposite. One got great start and bad finale/second part, Wano is the opposite

All imo of course.

I remember back when some people said that Wano was going to be a perfect arc and that it will barely have any complaints, as well as those that were saying that Kaido was going to be the best villain and that no one will bash on him. I told some of those people that Wano and Kaido would get similar treatments like what WCI and Big Mom went through with the complaints and character bashing, but those people were like "no it will be different."

Personally I have been enjoying the Wano arc, but I will admit I do enjoy the complaints for the arc because it's a big f u to those that thought Wano would end up being a perfect arc with only little complaints.

I remember back when some people said that Wano was going to be a perfect arc and that it will barely have any complaints, as well as those that were saying that Kaido was going to be the best villain and that no one will bash on him. I told some of those people that Wano and Kaido would get similar treatments like what WCI and Big Mom went through with the complaints and character bashing, but those people were like "no it will be different."

Personally I have been enjoying the Wano arc, but I will admit I do enjoy the complaints for the arc because it's a big f u to those that thought Wano would end up being a perfect arc with only little complaints.
Its bloody crazy xD
I mean, Oda kept saying he'd wanted to draw Wano for 15 years or some shit like that. And this is what it amounted to xD

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
Luffy VS Crocodile R3 was lackluster. Crocodile takes hits like a bitch and doesn't use his sand power until the end. Where was the Crocodile who effortlessly dodged Luffy's attacks in R2? Glad when Oda brought him back, he one-shots a Jailer Beast with Jimbei and tanks a powerful attack from a high tier.
Well many pre skip Luffy battles involved plot armor, that's because he was very weak to the big dogs. Not an excuse obviously.