Character Discussion Do You like Eustass Kid as a character?

Do You?

• Total voters
I like his personality, feels like a more unhinged and messed up version of Luffy but without feeling straight up sinister like Blackbeard.

My issue with him so far is the wasted potential of his storyline.
He feels like he should've been a way bigger deal somehow, more of a true rival to Luffy rather than another Law.

I've always believed that if there is anyone amongst the "good guys" side that would be relative to Luffy by EoS, it would be Zoro and Kid (in before Luffy fans get mad, I said relative not stronger or equal)

They are all built alike in certain ways.

That is the expectation I had with Kid.

Especially with Kid being a captain as well, I.....expected more. I can't point to what exactly on the get-go, but something feels off. Not even just talking about the lack of creativity with his power.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
Surprise, I like him very much!

From my point of view, he is very similar to luffy, but also way closer to what pirates really are. A less romantic version you could say.

Also, he seems to be kinda a „what if“ version of Luffy. He is what would have been when Luffy had no legendary genetic (ok still unknown for kid), no legendary God deity DF, no Trainer which is one of the strongest in verse, not never ending plot armor…

And besides that, he has things which even show Luffys attributes in a stronger and better way.
for example we have the crew, the „family“. While luffy gathered them together on his journey and sticks to them, Kid has some of his crew (f.e. killer) since he is a child. They are like literally brothers, stick together since the childhood. And his whole crew shows similar behavior to the strawhats, they always care for each other (remember when they laughed with killer together, so he doesn’t need to feel embarrassed?). They might even be closer with each other than the strawhats.

also, they are at least as adventures as the strawhats, which was presented by oda when they said they never have stepped back from exploring an island. And they explicitly said exploring, not pirating.

And now, extremely important, his will.
While Luffys will is smashed in our face every chapter, it drains him further, but at what cost? None. He sometimes lose, but gets up immediately, gets some plot armor heal or timespan etc.. And with his loses, he never lose anything. All he lost was Ace, but that was not even connected to his strength, it was Aces own stupidness.
So Luffy never has to pay for stupid actions or for going to far against stronger opponents. Easy to keep his will then.

But Kid, he pushed himself to the level he is right now, just a few steps behind luffy, without a god DF, without a legendary mentor, without all these plotarmors, but with debts he had to pay.
He lost fights on his ways up and he had to pay for it. He lost his arm. His best friend gets mutilated with his laughter and so on. But still, Kid has kept his will, he is still going further, fighting for more. And he is ready to pay a debt for it. A debt Luffy doesn’t know it exists.

Surprise, I like him very much!

From my point of view, he is very similar to luffy, but also way closer to what pirates really are. A less romantic version you could say.

Also, he seems to be kinda a „what if“ version of Luffy. He is what would have been when Luffy had no legendary genetic (ok still unknown for kid), no legendary God deity DF, no Trainer which is one of the strongest in verse, not never ending plot armor…

And besides that, he has things which even show Luffys attributes in a stronger and better way.
for example we have the crew, the „family“. While luffy gathered them together on his journey and sticks to them, Kid has some of his crew (f.e. killer) since he is a child. They are like literally brothers, stick together since the childhood. And his whole crew shows similar behavior to the strawhats, they always care for each other (remember when they laughed with killer together, so he doesn’t need to feel embarrassed?). They might even be closer with each other than the strawhats.

also, they are at least as adventures as the strawhats, which was presented by oda when they said they never have stepped back from exploring an island. And they explicitly said exploring, not pirating.

And now, extremely important, his will.
While Luffys will is smashed in our face every chapter, it drains him further, but at what cost? None. He sometimes lose, but gets up immediately, gets some plot armor heal or timespan etc.. And with his loses, he never lose anything. All he lost was Ace, but that was not even connected to his strength, it was Aces own stupidness.
So Luffy never has to pay for stupid actions or for going to far against stronger opponents. Easy to keep his will then.

But Kid, he pushed himself to the level he is right now, just a few steps behind luffy, without a god DF, without a legendary mentor, without all these plotarmors, but with debts he had to pay.
He lost fights on his ways up and he had to pay for it. He lost his arm. His best friend gets mutilated with his laughter and so on. But still, Kid has kept his will, he is still going further, fighting for more. And he is ready to pay a debt for it. A debt Luffy doesn’t know it exists.
Why do people always feel like they have to shit on Luffy to like a different character?
Luffy has stakes sometimes.
Like when they nearly died/got captured in WCI and the bomb saved them.
It's just Oda's fault for not being bold enough to kill off people or have them lose a limb or anything ( Shanks doesn't count ).
I mean I could get not having the Straw Hats die, Brook excluded, but at least have them get into some thing traumatic or become an amputee or something. Make it feel risky, y'know?
Kidd is too cocky, btw, so I don't feel a lot when I see him lose his arm and what not. He marched into an Emperor's territory thrice and got clapped 2 times. He had it coming.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
Why do people always feel like they have to shit on Luffy to like a different character?
Luffy has stakes sometimes.
Like when they nearly died/got captured in WCI and the bomb saved them.
It's just Oda's fault for not being bold enough to kill off people or have them lose a limb or anything ( Shanks doesn't count ).
I mean I could get not having the Straw Hats die, Brook excluded, but at least have them get into some thing traumatic or become an amputee or something. Make it feel risky, y'know?
Kidd is too cocky, btw, so I don't feel a lot when I see him lose his arm and what not. He marched into an Emperor's territory thrice and got clapped 2 times. He had it coming.
i didn’t meant to shit on luffy, it was never the idea, I like luffy as much as kid. But Luffy did nothing else than Kid, but kid had to pay a debt, luffy got out of it unharmed, cause of plot armor, every time. It’s fine, it’s the story, I don’t want to play it down, I just want to highlight Kid coming so far even without this luck, without the god df and most importantly, without losing his will.

Yeah but Kidd's still less successful than Luffy.
Like yeah, Luffy's got plot armor, but even with that he still had to train for a decade and 2 years to finally awaken and get Advanced Haki.
Kidd has all types of Haki but we don't even see any feats with it we're just told he has them.
I guess he'll eventually catch up to him and be a valid rival, possibly in Elbaf.

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
Yeah but Kidd's still less successful than Luffy.
Like yeah, Luffy's got plot armor, but even with that he still had to train for a decade and 2 years to finally awaken and get Advanced Haki.
Kidd has all types of Haki but we don't even see any feats with it we're just told he has them.
I guess he'll eventually catch up to him and be a valid rival, possibly in Elbaf.
But keep in mind, Luffy got explicit training for his haki from several person. Like his whole trainings arc, 2 years, was based on haki training by Rayleigh. Rayleigh, a legend by himself, explained all haki to him in depth.
Later on, even his enemy, Katakuri, literally trained him in using haki and get better on it.
While Kid is doing this all by his own. For sure he is one or two steps behind Luffy without it, but just keep in mind he came that far and keeps pushing, even without all of this. What do you think, where would Kid be now if he had the same plot armor, the same training by rayleigh and a god DF? I'd say, he would be on the exact same stage like Luffy is right now.

But keep in mind, Luffy got explicit training for his haki from several person. Like his whole trainings arc, 2 years, was based on haki training by Rayleigh. Rayleigh, a legend by himself, explained all haki to him in depth.
Later on, even his enemy, Katakuri, literally trained him in using haki and get better on it.
While Kid is doing this all by his own. For sure he is one or two steps behind Luffy without it, but just keep in mind he came that far and keeps pushing, even without all of this. What do you think, where would Kid be now if he had the same plot armor, the same training by rayleigh and a god DF? I'd say, he would be on the exact same stage like Luffy is right now.
Katakuri didn't train him. It comes naturally when you're fighting with Haki and your opponent's Haki is stronger than your's or equal. You'll adapt and grow. Good points otherwise.