Character Discussion Do you really think Luffy's real rival is Kid?

1) yeah i am not debating his importance aswell i am debating trying to prove hes luffys rival not kidd.
2) like i said. I said the big plots are all planned. Yes poseidon on the big picture is not important. Not as important as a rival which affects the story almost every arc. Compared to that poseidon is minor plot.
3) yes Zoro had more in common with luffy than kidd. Having similarities doesnt make them rivals.
If any thing what i said in my 4th and 5th point is what makes them rivals
4)5) i explained it very will IMO wont re explain it.
1) Luffy's reaction to Jimbe talking Blackbeard raise as Emperor in FMI was literally ignoring him, but him being costantly petty at Kidd and competing with him is irrelevant when it comes to rivalry? Ok...
2) An ancient weapon is not minor plot, and sure will not be minor plot EoS
3) Is not about similarities, if you think I'm talking about this you're completely misreading me
4-5) Dram and will are focal points of One Piece, you said, how does this exclude Eustass Kidd?

1) Luffy's reaction to Jimbe talking Blackbeard raise as Emperor in FMI was literally ignoring him, but him being costantly petty at Kidd and competing with him is irrelevant when it comes to rivalry? Ok...
2) An ancient weapon is not minor plot, and sure will not be minor plot EoS
3) Is not about similarities, if you think I'm talking about this you're completely misreading me
4-5) Dram and will are focal points of One Piece, you said, how does this exclude Eustass Kidd?
1) luffy competes with kidd because he likes to compete with kidd on things that dont matter honestly their relationship is more of a friendship now than a rivaly. He ignores BB? Or maybe he hates him. Luffy showed anger towards BB multiple times. Thats the diffetence
2) shes not important plot. She exists to serve the story not have a major impact. Black beard had major impact on the story in almost every Arc since he was introduced. He shapes the story not serves it, Thats why hes luffy's rival. Speaking about shaping the story. When kidd actually does something that has major plot implication on the story we can maybe discussing kidd as a second rival for luffy after blackbeard.
3) sharing some of the same experience doesnt make them rivals*
4)5)thats not what i said. I will eloborate the fact BB had a speach about dream the most important thing in the story alongside will to luffy in mock town early on made it clear that hes luffy's rival and nobody else because its like in that moment luffy and BB's race to the dream "one piece" has started. Since then BB captured ace, stole WW DF. Has showed to impel down when luffy was there. Destroyed the revolutionary army HQ where luffy's other brother is. And had many other major impacts on the story. Making it clear that hes luffy's rival and nobody else.
And it all started in Mock town. Luffy and BB are diffetent sides of the same coin. What ever one of them does affects the other in some way or another. Their fate was tied at mock town as rivals. And since then they both shape the story line in their own way to the same dream one piece.

So yeah BB is luffy's rival not kidd.

Kid is like vegeta or that metal dragon slayer in fairytail, a rival that would never be stronger than the mc. A real rivalry is like natsu and gray, Naruto and sasuke. Blackbeard is also not luffy's rival as he was always far from luffy in power level. It is like saying natsu' s elder brother is natsu's rival as they where destined to fight.

1) luffy competes with kidd because he likes to compete with kidd on things that dont matter honestly their relationship is more of a friendship now than a rivaly. He ignores BB? Or maybe he hates him. Luffy showed anger towards BB multiple times. Thats the diffetence
2) shes not important plot. She exists to serve the story not have a major impact. Black beard had major impact on the story in almost every Arc since he was introduced. He shapes the story not serves it, Thats why hes luffy's rival. Speaking about shaping the story. When kidd actually does something that has major plot implication on the story we can maybe discussing kidd as a second rival for luffy after blackbeard.
3) sharing some of the same experience doesnt make them rivals*
4)5)thats not what i said. I will eloborate the fact BB had a speach about dream the most important thing in the story alongside will to luffy in mock town early on made it clear that hes luffy's rival and nobody else because its like in that moment luffy and BB's race to the dream "one piece" has started. Since then BB captured ace, stole WW DF. Has showed to impel down when luffy was there. Destroyed the revolutionary army HQ where luffy's other brother is. And had many other major impacts on the story. Making it clear that hes luffy's rival and nobody else.
And it all started in Mock town. Luffy and BB are diffetent sides of the same coin. What ever one of them does affects the other in some way or another. Their fate was tied at mock town as rivals. And since then they both shape the story line in their own way to the same dream one piece.

So yeah BB is luffy's rival not kidd.
1) Or maybe cause he sees him as a menace?
2) Ancient weapons are forshadowed since Alabasta to play a huge role in the story, just because is 99% Luffy's enemy in Laugh Tale doesn't mean that all the other plots aren't relevant. Kidd is one of these plots you're calling irrelevant.
3) Some? Those 2 basically did the same journey but behaving in opposite ways
4-5) If Oda didn't want to make Kidd a rival he could've avoided to portray him as one; Law, Zoro, Killer, Drake, Hawkins etc.. didn't receive the same portrayal, explain me this

1) Or maybe cause he sees him as a menace?
2) Ancient weapons are forshadowed since Alabasta to play a huge role in the story, just because is 99% Luffy's enemy in Laugh Tale doesn't mean that all the other plots aren't relevant. Kidd is one of these plots you're calling irrelevant.
3) Some? Those 2 basically did the same journey but behaving in opposite ways
4-5) If Oda didn't want to make Kidd a rival he could've avoided to portray him as one; Law, Zoro, Killer, Drake, Hawkins etc.. didn't receive the same portrayal, explain me this
1) nope he sees bb as a menance kidd is more of an alley at this point.
2) never said they are irrelevant i said they are not important plot. Compared to bb they are not as big.
3) same journy=rival? Zoro is his rival aswell then.
4)5) he didnt portray him as such. If you are going to narrow it down to supernovas then yes he will look more than most( with the exception of law but thats not important). The thing is Oda portrayed bb as his rival. And compared to that kidd looks insignificant. Like i said when kidd does something that shapes the story significantly we can start this discussing. Until then there is 0 implication kidd is his rival.

1) nope he sees bb as a menance kidd is more of an alley at this point.
2) never said they are irrelevant i said they are not important plot. Compared to bb they are not as big.
3) same journy=rival? Zoro is his rival aswell then.
4)5) he didnt portray him as such. If you are going to narrow it down to supernovas then yes he will look more than most( with the exception of law but thats not important). The thing is Oda portrayed bb as his rival. And compared to that kidd looks insignificant. Like i said when kidd does something that shapes the story significantly we can start this discussing. Until then there is 0 implication kidd is his rival.
1) He wouldn't behave the way he's behaving if he didn't see Kidd as a menace, if we disagree on this then I don't know why we still arguing
2) Blackbeard is not the only important factor of the story, he'll be the Pirate endgame, this doesn't mean that Kidd, Shanks etc.. are not gonna have important roles
3) Not at all, Luffy's journey is much more similar to Kidd than to Zoro. Just cause they sailed on the same ship doesn't mean that they share more similarities. As characters, behaviors and attitudes, Luffy is connected to Kidd and Zoro to Killer.
4-5) He didn't do so? It's literally the only conduct line that Luffy and Kidd share: same dream, similar path, opposite attitudes
Shaping the story? If that's what you need to aknowledge Kidd then no problem, I'll wait for you to assist to the end of this war

None of the Supernovas have any meaningful rivalry with Luffy. Hell, none of them come anywhere near Luffy in terms of actual accomplishments.
A list of accomplishments by the Captains of the Worst Generation.
• Has personally defeated three Warlords (Crocodile, Moriah and Doflamingo).

• Has personally led attacks against the World Government’s three most important bases (Enies Lobbey, Impel Down and Marineford).

•Has two former Warlords as loyal and reliable allies (Hancock and Jinbe). Though I suppose I could be cheeky and add Law himself as a third one. :lawbepo:

•Has a Grand Fleet with numerous famed pirate captains leading thousands of men.

•Led an attack that completely defeated the World Government’s best group of assassins in CP9.

•Defeated two Yonko Commanders, one of which was that Yonko’s strongest subordinate.

•Has influence over various nations across the globe such as Drum Kingdom, the Kingdom of Alabasta, Dressrosa, Fishman Island, the Mink Dukedoms and the Kozuki Clan of Wano.
•He became a Yonko, enough said.
•He was responsible for some event known as the Rocky Port Incident that was stopped by Coby, yes you read that right, feckin Coby. :vistalaugh:

•Has a crew of about 20 fodder. :milaugh:

•Well he did create the long term plan to defeat Kaido (through Luffy’s immeasurably useful assistance).

•That is kinda it.

•Oh wait, he had his life goal of personally getting revenge against Chadflamingo stolen from him by Luffy. Nearly forgot that. :doffytroll:
•Errr, he killed some random fodder that wanted to go home once. :quest:

•He also killed civilians. What a bad arse. :catsure:

•He supposedly scarred (not defeated) a Sweet Commander. He never said which one. Katakuri was undeafeated till Luffy, Smoothie and Snack have no visible scars that I can recall, so that leaves Cracker (who actually has visible scars) I suppose, the guy Luffy ate for lunch the day before he fought and defeated Katakuri. :goatasure:
•He defeated the completely featless, hypothetical YC4 Snack, a bloke with a lower bounty than Perospero, the guy with an inferior durability feat to Pell.
•Is not even a feckin pirate.
•One proud owner of the dumbest plan ever created in One Piece history. It subsequently failed spectacularly.

•Has a bounty inferior to Pre-TS Luffy (post Marineford) despite the latter having been on a two year career hiatus.
•Has seemingly forgotten that she is a pirate and is hanging with the Revolutionaries.

•Doea she even have a crew anymore?
•Defeated Brownbeard, the second worst beard after Pinkbeard.

•Is a Yonko bitch.
•Is a Yonko bitch.
•That is literally it.

The answer is either that Teach is Luffy's rival or that Luffy simply has no rivals. Lel. Luffy is so far ahead of the other Supernovas that they simply cannot catch up to his accomplishments.

The Supernovas are as much rivals to Luffy as Yamcha was a rival to Goku.

Its true that Supernovas werent planned from the beginning,but their appearence completely changed the story! They were immediately so loved by the readers that i bet they changed some Oda's plans. By the way,about Kidd: i think that,when Oda created it,he thought he would have become more popular than Law,instead Law became the most popular one so this could have changed some Oda's plans too. I think doing a big achievement in Wano is the only way for Kidd to be still a serious rival to Luffy. He could defeat Big Mom or kill Kaido (i mean giving him the final fatal hit,of course not defeating him alone) we'll see.

Last edited:
Kid is not a rival

he is like Shiki for Roger ... a pain in the ass who can never come close to besting the kings
shiki was called Rogers equal...... I don’t think you guys know what your talking about. Just because shiki doesn’t have relevance right now doesn’t mean he wasn’t his equal. We never knew about xebec till this arc. Wanna know why? Because he wasn’t relevant

shiki was called Rogers equal...... I don’t think you guys know what your talking about. Just because shiki doesn’t have relevance right now doesn’t mean he wasn’t his equal. We never knew about xebec till this arc. Wanna know why? Because he wasn’t relevant
maybe ....

I once liked kidd but Oda did him dirty

he don't seems like Luffy's equal AT ALL and I don't expect gap get smaller

Luffy rival to me is Teach NO OTHER after him