Elden Ring

Not yet. Mohg is my next target. Lol

108 hours in this game and I still haven’t beat the fucking thing lol.
I took my sweet time, beat it last week with 190 hours & being lvl 210. Absolutely my favorite game of all time, the open world is absolutely amazing & was in my thoughts when not playing the game, "oh whats up around that lake i saw?" "How do i gain access to this wizard school" etc etc.

I noticed, in hindsight, i play a lot of games & enjoy them, have a blast, but they don't stick with me & persist the way E.R did. Hell, right now all I want to do is cleanup any spots I missed and then either tackle NG+ or do an entire new build. I did Strength w no magic, no bows, used spirit ashes. I'm taking a break though, let the game digest as well as get to some things I put off the last couple weeks.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I took my sweet time, beat it last week with 190 hours & being lvl 210. Absolutely my favorite game of all time, the open world is absolutely amazing & was in my thoughts when not playing the game, "oh whats up around that lake i saw?" "How do i gain access to this wizard school" etc etc.

I noticed, in hindsight, i play a lot of games & enjoy them, have a blast, but they don't stick with me & persist the way E.R did. Hell, right now all I want to do is cleanup any spots I missed and then either tackle NG+ or do an entire new build. I did Strength w no magic, no bows, used spirit ashes. I'm taking a break though, let the game digest as well as get to some things I put off the last couple weeks.
I finally beat the game after 113 hours, and in the end I felt like I was rushing just because I finally wanted to say I cleared the thing. There is so much more exploration to be done, so much lore to find. This is exactly the level of depth I was expecting from Miyazaki, but the sheer size is incredible.

And even the side-quests/stories feel like actual major plot lines of their own. I will give you guys my favorite example:

So when if you meet Sellen and pursue her sorcerers quest line (ofc I did), she talks about wanting to restore the primeval current of sorcery. I had no fucking clue what this meant but I’m like, sure I’m game lol.

So she sends you to this hidden cave where you find the corpse of a legendary sorcerer named Lusat, and a primeval sorcery that he discovered. It’s a powerful sorcery but I still don’t understand what any of this means.

Then later on you come across the corpse of Azur who is another legendary sorcerer, where you find the infamous comet azur spell. Okay, nothing mind-blowing yet.

So then you find out that Sellen, Lusat, and Azur were all banned from Raya Lucaria for the same reason: that pursuit of primeval sorceries was heavily discouraged by the sorcerers there. Still not mind-blown.

Then something dawns upon me as I collect more sorceries. Any time I use an “Academy approved” spell so to say, there is a magic emblem that pops up just before I cast the spell. The primeval sorceries do not conjure emblems, only the spells themselves.

Then I discover on YouTube that the emblems emitted by academy approved spells are emblems that reference the alliances that the Carians and Raya Lucaria have made over the ages (for example with the Crystalians and such). So it’s like, sorcery itself became political, and all of the primeval sorcerers are just purists trying to return sorcery to its roots and remove the political aspects of it.

But then…well I won’t spoil Sellen’s questline, but let’s just say that the primeval sorcerers have also suffered greatly in the pursuit of the primeval current, so it’s like…are primeval sorcerers purists trying to return the practice of sorcery to its purest form? Or are they mad-men destroying themselves, and is the Academy actually correct for banning them and for trying to control sorcery more strictly?

This is exactly the type of depth and nuance I wanted from this game, and this literally isn’t even the main quest, this is like, a minor aspect of a side quest that feels like it’s had more thought put into it then the plot of most fiction these days lol.

I finally beat the game after 113 hours, and in the end I felt like I was rushing just because I finally wanted to say I cleared the thing. There is so much more exploration to be done, so much lore to find. This is exactly the level of depth I was expecting from Miyazaki, but the sheer size is incredible.

And even the side-quests/stories feel like actual major plot lines of their own. I will give you guys my favorite example:

So when if you meet Sellen and pursue her sorcerers quest line (ofc I did), she talks about wanting to restore the primeval current of sorcery. I had no fucking clue what this meant but I’m like, sure I’m game lol.

So she sends you to this hidden cave where you find the corpse of a legendary sorcerer named Lusat, and a primeval sorcery that he discovered. It’s a powerful sorcery but I still don’t understand what any of this means.

Then later on you come across the corpse of Azur who is another legendary sorcerer, where you find the infamous comet azur spell. Okay, nothing mind-blowing yet.

So then you find out that Sellen, Lusat, and Azur were all banned from Raya Lucaria for the same reason: that pursuit of primeval sorceries was heavily discouraged by the sorcerers there. Still not mind-blown.

Then something dawns upon me as I collect more sorceries. Any time I use an “Academy approved” spell so to say, there is a magic emblem that pops up just before I cast the spell. The primeval sorceries do not conjure emblems, only the spells themselves.

Then I discover on YouTube that the emblems emitted by academy approved spells are emblems that reference the alliances that the Carians and Raya Lucaria have made over the ages (for example with the Crystalians and such). So it’s like, sorcery itself became political, and all of the primeval sorcerers are just purists trying to return sorcery to its roots and remove the political aspects of it.

But then…well I won’t spoil Sellen’s questline, but let’s just say that the primeval sorcerers have also suffered greatly in the pursuit of the primeval current, so it’s like…are primeval sorcerers purists trying to return the practice of sorcery to its purest form? Or are they mad-men destroying themselves, and is the Academy actually correct for banning them and for trying to control sorcery more strictly?

This is exactly the type of depth and nuance I wanted from this game, and this literally isn’t even the main quest, this is like, a minor aspect of a side quest that feels like it’s had more thought put into it then the plot of most fiction these days lol.
Agreed.

What I love is how expertly the "show, don't tell" aspect of narration & world building is done. The world & lore is easy to understand, if you actually read item lore & pay attention to the surroundings. The world building going beyond interwovem labyrinths & portals, the fact that there is genuine thought into area design on a world this massive, speaks volumes.

"Cave of the Forlorn" isn't just named so bc "that like, totally sounds like a medieval fantasy name!" It has denizens who were forsaken and regarded as heretics when the Old Gods got replaced with the New (my short, lazy, paraphrasing). That may not seem so special, until you apply that logic to their entire world, and the fact that they named & built these places wkth different consistencies for different species/religions/subsects so well that after hours and hours of exploring (any Miyazaki games, but Especially E.R), i can genuinely tell who/what resides here, even if it's just subtle differences on statues or how it is posed.

Moving this here from my profile.

Remembrance bosses ranked weakest to strongest based on lore.

Unrankable: Lichdragon, Fire Giant, Ancestor Spirit, and Astel - no idea how to rank these

11. Godrick - outright stated to be the weakest
10. Rennala - definitely above Godrick but below the rest
9. Rykard - most likely surpassed Rennala AKA his mother via blasphemy
8. Morgott - secret son, successfully defended Leyndell from the other Demi-gods
7. Mohg - the other secret son, most likely above Morgott due to communion with the formless mother
6. Placidusax - relative to Godfrey since they held the same position
5. Godfrey - more established feats than Placidusax. Is technically a demigod so he’s below the next two
4. Malenia - stated to be one of the two strongest demigods
3. Radahn (prime) - outright stated to be the strongest demi-god
2. Malekith - scales above demigods based on item descriptions
1. Radagon/Marika - obviously the #1

Saw some DLC suggestions that Miquella might be a heavy Griffith analogy. Seems to be widely loved, androgynous beautiful boy, lusted over/raped by horrible reviled paedo, has potential for greatness (Empyrean/chosen by Idea of Evil), last seemed trapped in a cocoon like when Griffith turned into Femto, Gideon seems pretty worried about what he could do if he wakes up.

Jaguark101

"Dreams are Messages from the Deep"
‎‎
Saw some DLC suggestions that Miquella might be a heavy Griffith analogy. Seems to be widely loved, androgynous beautiful boy, lusted over/raped by horrible reviled paedo, has potential for greatness (Empyrean/chosen by Idea of Evil), last seemed trapped in a cocoon like when Griffith turned into Femto, Gideon seems pretty worried about what he could do if he wakes up.
There is an artwork of Miquella and Mohg currently over at r/eldenring. The comments are hilarious

Hoarah Loux is the best boss in the game IMO. Maybe I'm biased because of the love for pro wrestling, but goddamn if I wasn't grinning like an idiot when he powerbombed me to death for the first time. And realising I could jump over the stomp shockwave is glorious, it makes him a perfect fit for this game specifically. Gael is still my favourite boss ever but this is damn close.

Godskin Duo suck ass though.

Man, i wish i loved this game more

But since i'm more a Boss Fights fan when it comes to From Software, i felt pretty let down by the Boss Designs (gameplay-wise) from Elden Ring

I feel like the last two From Software games they made, they were able to achieve their apex in both of the biggest points of their designs

Sekiro reached the apex of combat design and boss designs

and Elden Ring reached the apex of exploration and world / lore design

because of my preference, Sekiro is a much better game for me and so many of the older From games are still superior

mind you, i beat Elden Ring in the first week, i played like 10 hours a day and beat it in 8 days

despite that, now i have 0 desire to play the game again for a long ass time
Elden Ring has multiple boss fights that are commensurate with the best bosses in the previous FromSoft games.

I was talking with the Demodcracy on his discord and he thinks Mohg might be a better fight than Gael/Ludwig. Considering that he literally studies boss design for a living I think he's probably correct.

It's just that the average is much lower than Sekiro or DS3's. But the like top 10-5 best bosses in Elden Ring (Godfrey, Mohg, Placidusax, Radahn, Rykard, Godrick, Maliketh, etc. ) are right up there with the best bosses in the series.

the roll-catcher attacks, the constant AoE attacks,
Like Gael and Nameless King?

the lack of letting the player get actual time to hit the boss rewarding him for dodging combos
Because they're designed for you to hit them during delays.

I can show you footage of me hitting Godfrey, Radagon, Morgott, and Maliketh during their delays with a greatsword and still getting out of the way.

it feels like bosses were designed with spirit summons in mind, by using that you solve many of these problems, especially endgame bosses
The duo bosses yes. But keep in mind that when I said the Demodcracy thought Mohg might be better than Gael/Ludwig, that's the same person who made this:

But then if you actually read the top comment on his vid or talk to him on his discord, he says this

There are balancing issues in Elden Ring between builds and evidence of balance around ashes, particularly towards gank fights, but what's ironic is that this is not actually apparent in the design of the solo late-game bosses. And I can literally reference game code for that.

and wtf is the point of making a build that your game just shits on? for example, what's the point of getting 60 vigor + a good armor,
Nothing can one shot you with 36 vigor. Not even Malenia’s flurry at point blank. Here me eating the first flurry and then dodging the next two.

Gael and Nameless King don't feel even close to the level of bullshit Elden Ring does
I can tell this is probably the first or second FromSoft game you’ve played at launch, because this was the reaction to Nameless King.

and it's so easy to defeat both Gael and Nameless King
You’re underestimating how much easier Elden Ring bosses get after you’ve beaten them once. Nothing in this game is harder than Orphan of Kos on a solo playthroug.

they always stop attacking and freeze after combos, giving you openings to fight back
I think I’m gonna have to show you footage of me doing this, because Elden Ring bosses are literally designed to let you hit them during their attack animations.

You showed a clip of Malenia missing most of her attack

If the Whirlwind hits you perfectly, you get one shotted
My point was that you can literally face tank one of the flurries and dodge the next two normally.

Hell, people seem confused about this and I think it’s because the most popular video on YouTube for dodging it is a speedrunner level manipulation of her AI, but you can literally dodge her flurry normally pretty easily

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/uajubp
Post automatically merged:

it's how they feel cheap
They don’t though. It literally sounds like you’re trying to justify giving up and then coming back with spirit ashes.

You think this in intuitive design?
1. dodge left
2. dodge forward
3. dodge forward

…. that’s unintuitive?

Again, I was confused when I read criticisms of this move. I genuinely think the only reason people think it’s hard is because for some reason the popular way to avoid it from Ongbal is literally a speedrunner level of manipulation of her AI. And thinking that’s how you avoid the move makes it seem way more threatening than it actually is.

But the truth is that it’s much easier to avoid than that.

you feel like Malenia was a well designed boss that taught you this skill in the fight?
Yes. Not only that, I can literally beat her in 1 or 2 attempts on every NG cycle.

Last edited:
also, the amount of reused bosses in this game fucking kills the uniqueness of every fucking boss

there's only 9 bosses in this entire game that are completly unique and only show up once

it's so stupid how you get copies of the same bosses in random locations, it's really whack

why would you put a copy of Godrick in the middle of nowhere?

why a copy of Mogh in the fucking sewers?

it's so bad
Wait, aren’t you a Sekiro fan?