Future Events Final fight of the series

so Roger "gave up" something when he "gave" his hat to Shanks? or did he achieve everything he wanted?
passing on the straw hat has nothing to do with personal ambition

and I'm yet to see a strong evidence Shanks WANTED to be pirate king
Shanks also gave up his physical arm for luffy not just hat

Shanks specifically gave up his hat as well in order to have luffy promise to be better than him

Also while again not intentionally at first he also gave luffy the nika fruit

Shanks gave up alot for luffy in hopes that he can surpass him
The issue with this is we have zero idea what the primary motivation is, nor the outcome of it. This is still the same person who talks to Gorosei, has intent to attack Luffy's fleet, and even mentions hes going after One Piece himself, all while doing everything else you mention. Oda even played coy withe pirate Shanks mentioned. There is certainly a plot twist coming with the character as a result.

Oda had stated that Shanks has his own plans for the new era. That doesnt necessarily mean it aligns exactly with Luffy's
Post automatically merged:

Honestly its crazy how crucial the next 2-3 arcs will be. Itll really paint a picture on who will be relevant and what storylines are actually left. Atm we can safely guess the crew is going to Fullalead (probably), Elbaf, Lodestar, Laugh Tale in the least, but we cant even tell who the villains would be for any of them, if any.
We don't know he's exact motive no but we do know he at the very least gave up his arm and strength for luffy

Shanks also gave up his physical arm for luffy not just hat

Shanks specifically gave up his hat as well in order to have luffy promise to be better than him

Also while again not intentionally at first he also gave luffy the nika fruit

Shanks gave up alot for luffy in hopes that he can surpass him

We don't know he's exact motive no but we do know he at the very least gave up his arm and strength for luffy
He became a Yonko after losing the arm though lol. I doubt he lost strength at this point.

Im still not convinced giving up the hat and arm is really anything but manipulation now, especially since now we know he knew what the fruit really was.

He became a Yonko after losing the arm though lol. I doubt he lost strength at this point.

Im still not convinced giving up the hat and arm is really anything but manipulation now, especially since now we know he knew what the fruit really was.
Anyone would lose strength if you took their hole arm off. If they get some type of prosthetic or replacement thats one thing but take away anyone arm they're weaker. Him being emperor level doesn't mean he didn't have more potential

Maybe i guess but its not like his arm or hat weren't important to him

Idk the fact that Shanks is still defending the new generation makes me think he’s legitimately just paving the way for them to complete Rogers dream.

Idk the fact that Shanks is still defending the new generation makes me think he’s legitimately just paving the way for them to complete Rogers dream.
Because evidently he wants them to do something, but that "something" is called into question when he himself says hes also going after One Piece with a serious look.

Theres 100% a piece of the puzzle missing here.
Post automatically merged:

Anyway....I really dont put all my stock in Shanks being a major antagonist, let alone the final one. Its something I do believe Oda can be gearing towards, but it needs to be delivered in a believable way in their first encounter. The issue I have is that he hasnt had Luffy/Shanks meet in 25 years. Having that build up to a "Congrats you did it!" Kind of meeting makes little sense at this point, especially when Luffy even told Ace that they'd fight each other for One Piece. Even Luffy wants to take him down and it was never implied to be friendly.

Considering Shanks' current motives (the actual goals he states i.e. one piece), its clear him and luffy are on a collision. course. The question comes down to "when" and "what capacity"?

I think right now the "obvious" is either Blackbeard or Im, with Kizaru/Akainu being arc related villains between now and then. But no one guesses Shanks because we dont actually know what he wants. Yet the author very much makes us question that motivation with his "questionable" scenes from 903, 907, and 1054. And it only get's weirder from here imo

Last edited: