Game of Thrones/ASOIAF

H

Homelander

Anyone wanna guess which will finish first, One Piece or Asoiaf?
One Piece !! I am pretty sure he wont be able to finish it . He has like 10 years to live the last two novels are taking ridiculous amount of time .

One of my favorite moments in a Feast for Crows is when Jaime finds out about the name that Bronn has chosen for Lolly Stokeworth's son (who he married in the books and who had become pregnant after the riots in King's Landing). He names him Tyrion much to Cersei's rage, which causes Jaime to say :

"There you are sweet sister. You have been looking everywhere for Tyrion, and all the time he's been hiding in Lollys' womb."

A good thing with coronavirus may that GRRM may get more time to finish the Winds of Winter now that he's confined to his home. One of the greatest difficulties for him is his very charged Schedule, now he has more time to spend in Westeros.

Guess it depends on some things. On one hand Eddard should be more skilled with a sword since he did the war and also had some achievements (the battle at the tower with Lyanna vs the sword of dawn and other strong warriors) while Benjen as black warden shouldn't have heroic achievements or some sort of special training (at least with a fast search in a wiki I didn't find any). On the other hand Eddard is older so age is also a factor, now it depends about the respective ages..

Prime almost for sure should go to Eddard (if there isn't something I'm unaware of lol). Also I dropped the tv serie after season.. 4-5? When they ended the books pretty much so I don't know if Benjen later slays an army of undead alone or something like that.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Benjen Stark vs Ned Stark :

Round 1 : both in prime

Round 2 : both in the beginning of season 1
IIRC Ned Stgark in the books is only early to mid 30s. So he's basically in his prime then and there. During Robert's Rebellion he was really young though somewhat (physically) strong. GRRM used Ned to hype up Robert Baratheon's strength by having Ned unable to lift his warhammer for very long. Which is really fucking stupid cause weaponry would never be that heavy in the first place. But neither here nor there.

Whereas Benjen Stark was the 1st Ranger of the Night's Watch, so reasonably and consistently experienced in dealing with enemies and probably a lot more experience in smaller confrontations than Ned ever is/was.

Round 1: Benjen Stark

Round 2: Benjen Stark

Round 2 goes to Benjen because the TV show made Starrk mid to late 50s whereas Benjen seemed to be almost a decade younger and was still the active 1st Ranger of the Watch. Speaks to his competency there.

Who is stronger for you and the best fighter ?

@Buusatan94 @Zara @DynaMight @Konstantis @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @TheAncientCenturion @Veku @dirtyLarry @Just a member @Garp the Fist @Desolate Smaug @Seth etc
We know that Ned Stark killed Arthur Dayne and other three royal guards. Arthur was best swordman in Seven Kingdoms, while other three knights was also known as best. Ofcourse case of show GOT we knew that Ned didn't kill Arthur in fair battle, BUT just think about it...Neds warriors wasn't even known as best. Yes it was seven fighters against four, but if you think about Rid who actually help Ned kill Arthur, it will be obvious that Ned didn't take best swords of North, but they wasn't worse. So I feel like Ned Stark was strong, much stonger fighter, compared to him in Show. They killed all royal guards that day, and that is Impressive.
From other hand Benjen Stark was part of Night Watch, but that's it. So obvious I will say Ned Stark is stronger than Benjamin, or at least was stronger when he fought Arthur Dayne.

So with that said I will give victory to:

Round 1: Ned Stark;

Round 2: Either way;

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
We know that Ned Stark killed Arthur Dayne and other three royal guards. Arthur was best swordman in Seven Kingdoms, while other three knights was also known as best. Ofcourse case of show GOT we knew that Ned didn't kill Arthur in fair battle, BUT just think about it...Neds warriors wasn't even known as best. Yes it was seven fighters against four, but if you think about Rid who actually help Ned kill Arthur, it will be obvious that Ned didn't take best swords of North, but they wasn't worse. So I feel like Ned Stark was strong, much stonger fighter, compared to him in Show. They killed all royal guards that day, and that is Impressive.
From other hand Benjen Stark was part of Night Watch, but that's it. So obvious I will say Ned Stark is stronger than Benjamin, or at least was stronger when he fought Arthur Dayne.

So with that said I will give victory to:

Round 1: Ned Stark;

Round 2: Either way;
ACTUALLY, the "history" says that Ned beat Dayne in single combat, however, I believe it's Bran who says that his father told him that if it wasn't for Howland Reed, Dayne would have killed him.
So, as far as we know, Ned had some kind of help during the fight.
And even then, they were not the only ones there.
Ned is a great fighter, but there are quite a lot of greatER fighters in the Seven Kingdoms.
As @TheAncientCenturion said, Benjen was 1st Ranger of the Night's Watch and had constant skirmishes against the Free Folk. He most likely has more "direct combat" experience than Ned, who's more experienced in larger scale conflicts.
I give Benjen the win, just because I think his skillsets are more suited for a direct confrontation than Ned's.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
It was 7 against 3 and Ned still almost died. Granted, they were Kingsguard of "true steel" as someone in the books comments. But you can literally gang up on them all with 2 people each and have a third backstab one of them. Ned's an upper mid tier fighter, which is fine considering his station isn't that of a combatant.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
But in show, I wil
ACTUALLY, the "history" says that Ned beat Dayne in single combat, however, I believe it's Bran who says that his father told him that if it wasn't for Howland Reed, Dayne would have killed him.
So, as far as we know, Ned had some kind of help during the fight.
And even then, they were not the only ones there.
Ned is a great fighter, but there are quite a lot of greatER fighters in the Seven Kingdoms.
As @TheAncientCenturion said, Benjen was 1st Ranger of the Night's Watch and had constant skirmishes against the Free Folk. He most likely has more "direct combat" experience than Ned, who's more experienced in larger scale conflicts.
I give Benjen the win, just because I think his skillsets are more suited for a direct confrontation than Ned's.
If you read books, then you will see how was described four royal guards:

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips. The hilt of the greatsword Dawn poked up over his right shoulder. Ser Oswell Whent was on one knee, sharpening his blade with a whetstone. Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings. Between them stood fierce old Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

And this is Ned fighters:

"In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory's father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man's memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist."

Now, it is obvious that all seven named royal guard weared full plate armor, best swords, best shileds, helmets. They even say that if they was on Trident, Robert wouldn't be able succeed. Robert defeated Raegar, but Raegar wasn't known as best, insteat of Kingsguard. Every one of them was the strongest, beyond all, especially Arthur Dayne with famous sword, the Dawn. Like if you want some comparioson, you should compare the Hound with em, or Brienna(she defeated Hound), and Brienna wasn't even close to them. The only knight that you can take as example is Barristan Selmy, and he even wasn't the strongest. Those seven knight was masters of sword. Maybe only Khal Drogo could be compared to em with only his skill(I mean he killed two Khals in one battle). The Mountain, Oberin and even Jayme wasn't even close to them. Jayme was newbie at Kingsguard.
And what did Ned? He took his friends with him...so this is looking insane, difference was too big. But then again, Ned was taking a part in a war, and maybe he was stronger than Robert in Battle. The openingwas created when Howland Reed dealed damage on Arthur, obviouselly case of Neds own skills. Only three survived in that battle 7x4, and Reed play possum....so in the end it was only Ned and Arthur who survived for last clash, and when Arthur was going to kill Ned, Reed saved him.
So what exactly have Benjamin? We know that wilds tribes, didn't even know what means discipline or rules...and we know that less than hundred Night Watch members stopped 100.000 number of them. So..

Doggo

But in show, I wil

If you read books, then you will see how was described four royal guards:

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips. The hilt of the greatsword Dawn poked up over his right shoulder. Ser Oswell Whent was on one knee, sharpening his blade with a whetstone. Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings. Between them stood fierce old Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

And this is Ned fighters:

"In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory's father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man's memories, even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist."

Now, it is obvious that all seven named royal guard weared full plate armor, best swords, best shileds, helmets. They even say that if they was on Trident, Robert wouldn't be able succeed. Robert defeated Raegar, but Raegar wasn't known as best, insteat of Kingsguard. Every one of them was the strongest, beyond all, especially Arthur Dayne with famous sword, the Dawn. Like if you want some comparioson, you should compare the Hound with em, or Brienna(she defeated Hound), and Brienna wasn't even close to them. The only knight that you can take as example is Barristan Selmy, and he even wasn't the strongest. Those seven knight was masters of sword. Maybe only Khal Drogo could be compared to em with only his skill(I mean he killed two Khals in one battle). The Mountain, Oberin and even Jayme wasn't even close to them. Jayme was newbie at Kingsguard.
And what did Ned? He took his friends with him...so this is looking insane, difference was too big. But then again, Ned was taking a part in a war, and maybe he was stronger than Robert in Battle. The openingwas created when Howland Reed dealed damage on Arthur, obviouselly case of Neds own skills. Only three survived in that battle 7x4, and Reed play possum....so in the end it was only Ned and Arthur who survived for last clash, and when Arthur was going to kill Ned, Reed saved him.
So what exactly have Benjamin? We know that wilds tribes, didn't even know what means discipline or rules...and we know that less than hundred Night Watch members stopped 100.000 number of them. So..
Jaime, by the time the books first take place, is one of the best knights in the seven kingdoms, if not THE BEST.
Ned was/is good, but not that good.
The thing about ASOAIF is that, different from One Piece, there are random people in the world that are actually as strong and/or stronger than the main characters that we usually follow.
Greatest example is Anguy, some random member of the Brotherhood without Banners. Dude is basically Hawkeye.
I don't assume Ned's companions were all below the other two royal guardsmen, JUST because they were royal guardsmen. They are long gone, so their "deeds" could be fantasized by others. Just look at the scrubs from Joffrey's guard.

Jaime, by the time the books first take place, is one of the best knights in the seven kingdoms, if not THE BEST.
The thing about ASOAIF is that, different from One Piece, there are random people in the world that are actually as strong and/or stronger than the main characters that we usually follow.
Greatest example is Anguy, some random member of the Brotherhood without Banners. Dude is basically Hawkeye.
I don't assume Ned's companions were all below the other two royal guardsmen, JUST because they were royal guardsmen. They are long gone, so their "deeds" could be fantasized by others. Just look at the scrubs from Joffrey's guard.
What? Jaime was BEST? Barristan Selmy was you mean? Jaime only dreamed about glory and honor, that had kingsguard. I talked about books only, and I don`t remember when some noname there killed in fair fight named person.
Anguy was send to kill Mountain...and he failed right? So idk what you trying to imply.
Post automatically merged:

Joffrey Guard was Guard that losed standart, or ethalon. They made Jaime as Commander of royal guards...and even more - they dismissed Barristan. That was disgrace and downfall.

Last edited:
Who is stronger for you and the best fighter ?

@Buusatan94 @Zara @DynaMight @Konstantis @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @TheAncientCenturion @Veku @dirtyLarry @Just a member @Garp the Fist @Desolate Smaug @Seth etc

None of them are good fighters Rayan. None of them have any good combat feats.

Ned is a good military commander, nothing more, nothing less. Benjen only became First Ranger because his last name is Stark, not because of any meritocracy. The Lord Commander literally admitted to only giving Waymer Royce command of a ranging because of his family name, now imagine what the Lord Commander will do with someone named Stark? And it was also stated that Benjen was quickly promoted to First Ranger. 1+ 1 = 2.

Both Ned and Benjen are average fighters. It's Brandon who was the talented swordsman and jouster in the family. Not Ned or Benjen.

In fact, Ned's only 1v1 fight in the entire series has him getting his ass kicked badly. Yohn Royce defeated Ned in a sparring match.

Last edited:

Doggo

I'll give it to Ned both rounds simply beacuse Ned didn't die vs Arthu Dayne lmao

I'll give you a better one

Jaime Lannister in his prime vs Barristan Selmy in his prime

@Buusatan94 @Zara @DynaMight @Konstantis @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @TheAncientCenturion @Veku @dirtyLarry @Just a member @Garp the Fist @Desolate Smaug @Seth
Honestly?
Pretty sure most people would say Selmy.
But I would give it a solid 50-50.
Jaime is MASSIVELY underrated. (Prior to losing his hand, that is :P )

I'll give it to Ned both rounds simply beacuse Ned didn't die vs Arthu Dayne lmao

I'll give you a better one

Jaime Lannister in his prime vs Barristan Selmy in his prime

@Buusatan94 @Zara @DynaMight @Konstantis @Fleet Admiral Lee Hung @TheAncientCenturion @Veku @dirtyLarry @Just a member @Garp the Fist @Desolate Smaug @Seth
Honestly?
Pretty sure most people would say Selmy.
But I would give it a solid 50-50.
Jaime is MASSIVELY underrated. (Prior to losing his hand, that is :P )
Based on what? Like what we know about Barristan Selmy?
At ten years old he donned the armor of as mystery knigh and entered a tourney at Blackhaven. Where Prince Duncan gave Barristan his epithet, Brave, but he losed to Duncan there.
At 16 years old Barristan joined tourney again as mystery knight, he beat therePrince Duncan and Ser Duncan the Tall(some people call him strongest there, he possibly relate to Brienna) the Lord Commander of Kingsguard, in the tourney at Kings Landing(but he beat em by unhousring em). For that King Targarien made him knight.
Now that was tourney, but here goes real stuff: during the War of Ninepenny Kings Barristan slew Maelys Blackfire in single combat, ending the male line of the Blackfire Pretendants. Barristan cut a bloody path through the Golden Company to reach Maelys. That made Barristan Selmy famous in all Seven Kingdom as Barristan Selmy the Brave.
After joining Kingsguard at age 23 Barristan Selmy was serving Kingdom and Targaryan family. When Aeris the Mad King was captured during the Defiance of Duskendale , King Aerys had been held hostage inside of the town for half a year. Taywin Lannister planned to storm the city, which could lead to kings death, Barristan offered to personally attempt to retrieve the captive Aerys himself, which he did actually, with killing many knights alone, without any help he basically saved Kings life.
After than he won the tourney in Storms End where he defeated Robert Barateon, Rhaegar Targarien, John Connington, Oberin Martell and others named fighters.
In time of Robert's Rebellion Barristan was taking part in last battle, Battle of Trident, where he was wounded by arrows, spear and sword. But he killed many people of Ned and Robert, still case of his power and glory Robert decided to keep him alive.
Also Barristan Selmy killed the leader of Kingswood Brotherhood Simon Toyne defeating him in single combat. Well, that wasn't best impressive feature, but think about fact that Jayme Lannister became knight case that battle, for killing Simon's underling.
So clearly Barristan in his prime was above Jaime Lannister could ever dream to be