Powers & Abilities General CoA Discussion - Basic & Advanced

Yea I would like this stuff to not be Haki to be honest... It makes no sense for it to be haki. I think im with Kaneki's explanation on this issue but it's likely to be wrong with how Oda wants to tie things up quickly. It makes much more sense for BOAT to be a skill tied to Swordsmanship and that masters like Mihawk should be able to cut Diamond even without the use of Haki.
Well Oda is heavily linking CoA to swordsmen with permanent black blade being the highest level of Haki most likely based on portrayal. As Oden has insane level of Haki, stronger than every Haki user of Wano being able Tame Enma that no one in Wano can. And with his Haki he can even cut Kaido, instead of skipping durability like Luffy can.

But Black blade in chapter 955 is portrayed as an even higher level than that, something that mighty Oden couldn't accomplish.

As much as I don't like, strongest of swordsmen are pretty much defacto Hakimen in One Piece lmao. That shit ain't gonna sit well with @Red Admiral who have been trying to force "Shanks is a Hakiman not swordsman" notion to push "Shanks > Mihawk" narrative.

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
Well Oda is heavily linking CoA to swordsmen with permanent black blade being the highest level of Haki most likely based on portrayal. As Oden has insane level of Haki, stronger than every Haki user of Wano being able Tame Enma that no one in Wano can. And with his Haki he can even cut Kaido, instead of skipping durability like Luffy can.

But Black blade in chapter 955 is portrayed as an even higher level than that, something that mighty Oden couldn't accomplish.

As much as I don't like, strongest of swordsmen are pretty much defacto Hakimen in One Piece lmao. That shit ain't gonna sit well with @Red Admiral who have been trying to force "Shanks is a Hakiman not swordsman" notion to push "Shanks > Mihawk" narrative.
I agree with blade Blackening having something to do with Haki but there has to be more to it than that to be honest. For example, It probably has to do with sword autism. None of the other swordsmen we see apart from people that are super obsessed with their sword and their life as swordmen actually personify or speak to their weapons. Only Zoro, Ryuma, Shiryu and Mihawk do these types of things. These guys live by a code and that may play a part in blackening a sword.

Also, like Kaneki pointed out, BOAT does not fit the description of Armament Haki in the slightest apart from that comparison. Armament Haki has never been about synchronizing with the rhythm of inanimate objects around you. Zoro had an extra power where he could feel all objects around him including his sword and the falling rocks. Something only swordsmen should be able to feel. And it still doesn't explain why he didn't try to use the same power to overcome an obstacle like Kizaru who would killed Luffy and everyone else if not for Rayleigh showing up.

Like I would think that in such a desperate situation, that Zoro would try to channel the same feeling he had mastered to be able to cut steel to cut something that seems uncuttable like Light.

I agree with blade Blackening having something to do with Haki but there has to be more to it than that to be honest. For example, It probably has to do with sword autism. None of the other swordsmen we see apart from people that are super obsessed with their sword and their life as swordmen actually personify or speak to their weapons. Only Zoro, Ryuma, Shiryu and Mihawk do these types of things. These guys live by a code and that may play a part in blackening a sword.

Also, like Kaneki pointed out, BOAT does not fit the description of Armament Haki in the slightest apart from that comparison. Armament Haki has never been about synchronizing with the rhythm of inanimate objects around you. Zoro had an extra power where he could feel all objects around him including his sword and the falling rocks. Something only swordsmen should be able to feel. And it still doesn't explain why he didn't try to use the same power to overcome an obstacle like Kizaru who would killed Luffy and everyone else if not for Rayleigh showing up.

Like I would think that in such a desperate situation, that Zoro would try to channel the same feeling he had mastered to be able to cut steel to cut something that seems uncuttable like Light.
Well Breath of all things is more than just Ryouou.

The ability to cut everything and nothing is what fits the definition of Ryouou as it connects the blade to its wielder and gives them ability to pick and choose what they cut. Hence why Zoro didn't cut the leaf yet could cut the rock.

Ability to sense inanimate objects is advanced version of observation Haki I'd say. Regular observation Haki senses intent of the attacker but not inanimate objects, but breath of all things hears breath of everything. Again as much as Oda is bastardizing his manga with Haki, I guarantee you we will learn that ability to hear breath of inanimate object is higher level of CoO soon.

So Zoro in Alabasta subconsciously unlocked both advanced CoA and advanced CoO.

Lol "Sword Autism" you are funny man. But no I think its your Haki level. Zoro isn't really obsessed with his swords, any more than any other swordsman is. He pretty easily gave up Shushui for Enma. Mihawk himself doesn't seem that obsessed with Yoru. If sword obsession is what made permanent black blades, Tashigi would have all the black blades in the world.

Tengoyama called Black Blade a bigger achievement than what ever Oden has done. Again with the way manga is going, Black blade will have everything to do with CoA. I think only Mihawk and Ryuma have been able to do it because their CoA level is above anyone else's in history.

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
Well Breath of all things is more than just Ryouou.

The ability to cut everything and nothing is what fits the definition of Ryouou as it connects the blade to its wielder and gives them ability to pick and choose what they cut. Hence why Zoro didn't cut the leaf yet could cut the rock.

Ability to sense inanimate objects is advanced version of observation Haki I'd say. Regular observation Haki senses intent of the attacker but not inanimate objects, but breath of all things hears breath of everything. Again as much as Oda is bastardizing his manga with Haki, I guarantee you we will learn that ability to hear breath of inanimate object is higher level of CoO soon.

So Zoro in Alabasta subconsciously unlocked both advanced CoA and advanced CoO.

Lol "Sword Autism" you are funny man. But no I think its your Haki level. Zoro isn't really obsessed with his swords, any more than any other swordsman is. He pretty easily gave up Shushui for Enma. Mihawk himself doesn't seem that obsessed with Yoru. If sword obsession is what made permanent black blades, Tashigi would have all the black blades in the world.

Tengoyama called Black Blade a bigger achievement than what ever Oden has done. Again with the way manga is going, Black blade will have everything to do with CoA. I think only Mihawk and Ryuma have been able to do it because their CoA level is above anyone else's in history.
I disagree on many accounts but I don't want to go into Zoro and Mihawk wanking so we can leave it there. I'll cross my fingers that everything isn't about Haki.

I disagree on many accounts but I don't want to go into Zoro and Mihawk wanking so we can leave it there. I'll cross my fingers that everything isn't about Haki.
How is it wanking? I literally gave you my opinion on the topic, if you disagree with anything, feel free to do so.

I don't give enough shits about One Piece to wank anyone in it. I have better things to do in life.

Or perhaps looking at the blade, and swinging it around and clashing it with Oars arm, he figured out that the blade is extremely durable?
It is the way he said it. The claim about it not bending even if a dino steps on it isn't related to anything which happened on TB. Seems it is something he already had knowledge of prior

Haki is just spiritual energy anyway. SO swordsman using spritiual energy for armament is cool.

BOAT and VOAT are pretty much 2 sides of the same coin. cutting iron is ryou.

ryou is your haki taking a physical form. a shield arround you that you can shape and control. it can penetrate objects or coat your blade.

BOAT and VOAT are pretty much 2 sides of the same coin. cutting iron is ryou.

ryou is your haki taking a physical form. a shield arround you that you can shape and control. it can penetrate objects or coat your blade.
BoAT is a Swordsman technique that can be taught to anyone,

Voice of All Things is completely different. It is an inherent abiilty to hear hear the Voice of Everything. Voice of ALL Things you ave to be born with.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
BoAT is a Swordsman technique that can be taught to anyone,
Voice of All Things is completely different. It is an inherent abiilty to hear hear the Voice of Everything. Voice of ALL Things you ave to be born with.
Across nine mountains and eight seas, your headcanon is the wildest...
Several people were able to hear the voice of all things while only the Grandmaster was able to hear the breath of all things. Facts.

Across nine mountains and eight seas, your headcanon is the wildest...
Several people were able to hear the voice of all things while only the Grandmaster was able to hear the breath of all things. Facts.
Not several people, only Oden, Roger, Luffy and Momnosuke.

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
When Rayleigh and Sentomaru use the deflection offensively, do you think it factors in physical strength or is this purely Haki? So like we see Ray and Sentomaru do a push. Do you think that their physical strength enhances the force behind these shockwaves? Additionally, with Hyo, we see him punch same goes for Luffy when using these haki blasts. Does this suggest that physical force would enhance these blasts or is it sort of just fluff action?

To Clarify if my question is odd and vague. I'm asking this for my game.

Basically, when you use Hardening, the physical force behind the attack enhances the attack in addition to the haki behind it. But in the case of Flowing type Haki, we never actually see the attacks hit head on. It's always at a distance due to the use of range shockwaves or using barriers to deflect/reflect attacks back at the opponent. We see people that do this usually use a push motion. Do you guys think this push motion actually impacts the force behind these attacks or do you think it's pretty much to direct where the haki blast is going?

Last edited:
When Rayleigh and Sentomaru use the deflection offensively, do you think it factors in physical strength or is this purely Haki? So like we see Ray and Sentomaru do a push. Do you think that their physical strength enhances the force behind these shockwaves? Additionally, with Hyo, we see him punch same goes for Luffy when using these haki blasts. Does this suggest that physical force would enhance these blasts or is it sort of just fluff action?

To Clarify if my question is odd and vague. I'm asking this for my game.

Basically, when you use Hardening, the physical force behind the attack enhances the attack in addition to the haki behind it. But in the case of Flowing type Haki, we never actually see the attacks hit head on. It's always at a distance due to the use of range shockwaves or using barriers to deflect/reflect attacks back at the opponent. We see people that do this usually use a push motion. Do you guys think this push motion actually impacts the force behind these attacks or do you think it's pretty much to direct where the haki blast is going?
Less brute force is needed for flow haki, as Luffy said Rayleigh movements were much lighter.

Hyougoro said Luffy was using too much brute force in 955 when he was training in Gear 4 with it.

Luffy trained more in that chapter till he mastered it in 955 destroying the tree with barely any motion like Rayleigh did.