Spoiler General Kingdom Spoiler

Is Bleach Better than Kingdom?

• Total voters
Chapter summary thanks to Jeeswag and the TKC :

Flashback:
Chapter starts with young Rei and Shiki talking about what they want to do outside. Rei says she wants to raise a puppy, not to eat but to own. Rei then asks Shiki what she wants to do and Shiki says "well, for me-"

Cut to the ritual, Rei's sword goes through Shiki. Rei is confused as she begins to grasp the situation and Shiki dies.

HSU:
The HSU all hears this and Rei says Shiki betrayed her. Even though they agreed to go all out against each other she stopped her sword. That's why instead of having been the loser she's the one who remains standing. The feeling of piercing Shiki's heart and watching her pained face was enough to push her over the edge to become a real Shiyuu. She attackes Kyoukai saying they live in different worlds. She continues saying they can never be comrades because she's a Shiyuu who spreads death from the darkness and that she would send them all over to Shiki.

Kyoukai gets up and tells her she's wrong. She says the path of darkness Rei is on has no future. The last Shiyuu Yuuren became the Shiyuu in the same way and she broke herself. Since there's no path forward in the darkness Kyoukai tells her to come back. Kyoukai says it's only when she's able to return from the darkness that she'll be able to gain real strength that a Shiyuu should have. Rei tells her to knock it off and asks if she's planning on bringing her back. Kyoukai says the one who will bring her back will be Shiki. She says to remember Shiki. If she died without saying anything then there's no way for Rei to come back, but she doesn't believe Shiki would have gone out like that. Rei says she died with a pained face saying nothing, but then she starts to remember.

Flashback:
Shiki apologizes saying the one who wasn't fully commited was her. She knew there was no way she could kill Rei with her own hands. She's really sorry but she's glad it's Rei who made it to the end. Shiki then requests that Rei lives her share of life in the outside as well and that she loves her.

HSU:
After remembering Rei begins to break down. She's grieving to Kyoukai saying she wasn't able to tell her anything at the end. That she loves her too and that she'll live enough for her as well. Kyoukai hugs her while telling her to live properly.

Flashback:
Cuts back to the conversation about what the two girls want to do outside and Shiki replies with nothing and Rei feels embarassed for being the only one to have said something.

No break next week!
Post automatically merged:

" NO BREAK NEXT WEEK " :shocking:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about this Kyokai stuff? Like ever since Hara went to extremes with her being supernatural ans bringing Shin back to life, this doesn't help much either.

Am I the only one feeling like this?

Am I the only one who doesn't care about this Kyokai stuff? Like ever since Hara went to extremes with her being supernatural ans bringing Shin back to life, this doesn't help much either.

Nah, both me and @Admiral Lee Hung have both ripped on Kyoukai's character as a whole, though it was never the supernatural stuff that I had a problem with (the supernatural is as much a part of Kingdom as politics or warfare is).
Kyoukai is dangerously close to checking off every single generic shonen badass trait in the book lol. Over the years, we’ve had:

Raised as part of an assassin clan? Check.

Not just any assassin clan, but the strongest and most badass assassin clan? Check.

Literally exits an incredibly interesting plot line about politics and warfare to go pursue a generic revenge quest where she discovers that the true secret to strength is Nakama powers? Check.

And now in 2020 we have:

Mysteriously badass sibling enters the story completely out of nowhere and for seemingly no reason.

I don’t want to pass judgment about this subplot this quickly as we really don’t know where Hara is heading with this, but Kyoukai for me has always been the least well-written Kingdom character, and this arc is doing nothing to change that perception for me.

Couple this with her complete nonsense power level (she literally jumped 2 ranks after accomplishing relatively little at Shukai Plains, more than Shin jumped after slaying freaking Rinko and Keisha), and Kyoukai is metaphorically digging her own grave as a character imho.
@Admiral Lee Hung one other thing to add to that checklist is that Kai excels at things she should logically not excel at.

Being super strong through a lifetime of constant gruelling training in order to be the greatest assassin alive? Sure, I can buy that.

Excelling at tactics and strategies for large scale warfare? How the feck did that come from assassin training?

Not only is she better at it than she logically should be, she is better at it than individuals who have superior strategical training and experience.

Looking back at the Western Zhao Invasion Arc, one of the dumbest moments in the entire series is when the gang are scratching their heads at what Ousen is doing and it is Kyoukai who realises Ousen’s plan for using the refugees.

Out of a group consisting of

I) Ouhon and Mouten; two individuals noted for their strategical talent from noble families who would have paid for them to have private tutoring in the art of war.

II) Karyo Ten, the literal student of Shouheikan himself and basically the grand student of Koushou.

III) Shin, who has held the interest of Great Generals like Ouki/Duke Hyou and who would have been made a General an arc earlier if not for the Kanki incident.

It is somehow Kyoukai, the one individual with both the least experience and not a single shred of training or tutoring, that is the one to realise the plan of Ousen.

How? :kaidowhat:
Is unique vision not more Shin's deal though? What with him being an Instinctual type and all? Kyoukai is just a flat out strategic type with no training and she just out strategized all the life long strategists around here. Lol.

I agree. Kyoukai being the one to realise they needed Shin's instinctual talent was a good moment. I liked that moment. Lol.

What I really did not get about that entire subplot, was how it all went from Kyoukai promising to return to the HSU that she came to consider like family and then immediately aim to become a Qin Six Great General, which would split her from the HSU, for literally "just because" reasons. How did it even jump to that? :doffytroll:

As if we didn't already have a main character and his two rivals aiming for the exact same thing. :goatasure:

Another Kyoukai moment that stuck with me for it's sheer cringe was when Kai was facing off Ryuutou and unironically said "We are not Invaders, we are the Hi Shin Unit!!"..... :usoprice:

I do not want it to sound like I am bashing Kai or Kingdom. Kai obviously has enjoyable moments, good scenes and plenty of hype, while Kingdom is hands down my favourite work of fiction.

Despite that, it is impossible for me to look back at Kingdom, look at it's less stellar moments and not notice how Kai is in practically all of them

This looks like a filler tbh. But it is what it is, at least it didn't last that long. Maybe 1 or 2 more chapters where we will see what Rei decides to do, what happens with Kyoukai recovery and then we can move on to better things.

Flashback:
Chapter starts with young Rei and Shiki talking about what they want to do outside. Rei says she wants to raise a puppy, not to eat but to own. Rei then asks Shiki what she wants to do and Shiki says "well, for me-"

Cut to the ritual, Rei's sword goes through Shiki. Rei is confused as she begins to grasp the situation and Shiki dies.

HSU:
The HSU all hears this and Rei says Shiki betrayed her. Even though they agreed to go all out against each other she stopped her sword. That's why instead of having been the loser she's the one who remains standing. The feeling of piercing Shiki's heart and watching her pained face was enough to push her over the edge to become a real Shiyuu. She attackes Kyoukai saying they live in different worlds. She continues saying they can never be comrades because she's a Shiyuu who spreads death from the darkness and that she would send them all over to Shiki.

Kyoukai gets up and tells her she's wrong. She says the path of darkness Rei is on has no future. The last Shiyuu Yuuren became the Shiyuu in the same way and she broke herself. Since there's no path forward in the darkness Kyoukai tells her to come back. Kyoukai says it's only when she's able to return from the darkness that she'll be able to gain real strength that a Shiyuu should have. Rei tells her to knock it off and asks if she's planning on bringing her back. Kyoukai says the one who will bring her back will be Shiki. She says to remember Shiki. If she died without saying anything then there's no way for Rei to come back, but she doesn't believe Shiki would have gone out like that. Rei says she died with a pained face saying nothing, but then she starts to remember.

Flashback:
Shiki apologizes saying the one who wasn't fully commited was her. She knew there was no way she could kill Rei with her own hands. She's really sorry but she's glad it's Rei who made it to the end. Shiki then requests that Rei lives her share of life in the outside as well and that she loves her.

HSU:
After remembering Rei begins to break down. She's grieving to Kyoukai saying she wasn't able to tell her anything at the end. That she loves her too and that she'll live enough for her as well. Kyoukai hugs her while telling her to live properly.

Flashback:
Cuts back to the conversation about what the two girls want to do outside and Shiki replies with nothing and Rei feels embarassed for being the only one to have said something.

No break next week!

" NO BREAK NEXT WEEK " :shocking:

So that sub-plot is arguably finished and we get no break next week? It's time to catch up!

Let's fucking go, Zhao please!

Interesting, the 6G are being brought up. Moubu and Tou already locked in two spots, and Ousen should get the third, but maybe they will bring up his dark ambition to stop his promotion.

HSU:
Rei goes around apologizing to everyone in the HSU. Once she gets to Shin he tells her that the next time she pulls something like this they will really chase her out and to listen to her superiors. Starting today they will be comrades who watch each others' backs.

After thinking by himself for awhile Shin goes to Kyoukai's tent and walks in on Rei performing a ritual for Kyoukai. Shin apologizes for busting in and Kyoukai says it's fine since seeing that much is whatever. When Shin asks what they're doing Rei tells him she's performing a prayer that will allow Kyoukai to kind of move around like she used to after 5 more times. However, even after this she doesn't know how much of her old strength she will be able to use since she used the life sharing technique. Kyoukai asks what Shin wants and he came to ask about that. When he asks if she really shortened her life span to bring him back to life she says yes. He then asks why she would do something so stupid and Rei says obviously it's because Kyoukai likes him. Kyoukai first bursts out "NO" but then later admits it's true. Rei says good for Shin since Kyoukai is a beauty and they should get married, to which Kyoukai says to be quiet.

Kyoukai says after she saved Shin she met Kyoushou where she learned her lifespan shortened and learned two other good things. The first one she doesn't remember but the second one she remembers very clearly. Those who are raised trying to be a shiyuu have naturally long life spans, especially Kyoukai. So losing a portion of her life span isn't a big deal overall and it just happened to work out that way. She continues saying she doesn't really know what it means to "like" someone. She thinks she likes Shin but Shou told her it's not like that but she's still unsure. However, she doesn't want what comes after that at the moment. Her and Shin are both in a world where they are walking close to death. They were only able to come this far because they both focused on fighting. If they focus on something other than that then they will be weaker which is very important to know in the warring era. Because of that she asks Shin to pretend he didn't hear any of this. She says it's okay even if she doesn't know herself very well because she knows Shin very well.

A messenger comes to tell Shin that he needs to come to the HQ. Kyoukai tells him to go first and she'll be there soon. Shin leaves and Kyoukai falls back saying she got to say everything she wanted to and thanks Rei for allowing that conversation to happen. Rei says she's thankful Kyoukai saved her and if she hadn't then she would have made Shiki sad because she came to kill Kyoukai. However, Kyoukai sees it as Rei coming to help her and she knew it right away. Kyoukai says she's heading to the meeting. With Rei joining the HSU they were able to grow even stronger and she saved the HSU members many times.

Kanyou:
Back in Kanyou Sei announces that once the new year arrives they will begin reinstating the 6 Great General system once again.

No break next week!

jeeswag

HSU:
Rei goes around apologizing to everyone in the HSU. Once she gets to Shin he tells her that the next time she pulls something like this they will really chase her out and to listen to her superiors. Starting today they will be comrades who watch each others' backs.

After thinking by himself for awhile Shin goes to Kyoukai's tent and walks in on Rei performing a ritual for Kyoukai. Shin apologizes for busting in and Kyoukai says it's fine since seeing that much is whatever. When Shin asks what they're doing Rei tells him she's performing a prayer that will allow Kyoukai to kind of move around like she used to after 5 more times. However, even after this she doesn't know how much of her old strength she will be able to use since she used the life sharing technique. Kyoukai asks what Shin wants and he came to ask about that. When he asks if she really shortened her life span to bring him back to life she says yes. He then asks why she would do something so stupid and Rei says obviously it's because Kyoukai likes him. Kyoukai first bursts out "NO" but then later admits it's true. Rei says good for Shin since Kyoukai is a beauty and they should get married, to which Kyoukai says to be quiet.

Kyoukai says after she saved Shin she met Kyoushou where she learned her lifespan shortened and learned two other good things. The first one she doesn't remember but the second one she remembers very clearly. Those who are raised trying to be a shiyuu have naturally long life spans, especially Kyoukai. So losing a portion of her life span isn't a big deal overall and it just happened to work out that way. She continues saying she doesn't really know what it means to "like" someone. She thinks she likes Shin but Shou told her it's not like that but she's still unsure. However, she doesn't want what comes after that at the moment. Her and Shin are both in a world where they are walking close to death. They were only able to come this far because they both focused on fighting. If they focus on something other than that then they will be weaker which is very important to know in the warring era. Because of that she asks Shin to pretend he didn't hear any of this. She says it's okay even if she doesn't know herself very well because she knows Shin very well.

A messenger comes to tell Shin that he needs to come to the HQ. Kyoukai tells him to go first and she'll be there soon. Shin leaves and Kyoukai falls back saying she got to say everything she wanted to and thanks Rei for allowing that conversation to happen. Rei says she's thankful Kyoukai saved her and if she hadn't then she would have made Shiki sad because she came to kill Kyoukai. However, Kyoukai sees it as Rei coming to help her and she knew it right away. Kyoukai says she's heading to the meeting. With Rei joining the HSU they were able to grow even stronger and she saved the HSU members many times.

Kanyou:
Back in Kanyou Sei announces that once the new year arrives they will begin reinstating the 6 Great General system once again.

No break next week!

The more I see of Kyoukai, the more I am convinced that she is single handedly the only flat out bad part of this otherwise generally flawless manga.

This lifespan bullshit is tedious. It is not a concrete repurcussion and it's already wafer thin importance has apparently just been nerfed. I hope she loses her Shiyuu Priestess Dance ability cause this lifespan deal is not engaging on any level.

I do wonder if Hara was originally planning to have Kai suffer harsher consequences but then held off when she blitzed the popularity poll. Lol.

A little early
Either they don't appoint all six and just go with 2 or 3 for now or they do and 3 of them will have to die or something so that Shin and his rivals can replace them
If it's the later
It's gonna be Tou, Moubu, Ousen, Kanki, Ytw and maybe SHK
if Ousen and Kanki betray them later and Tou dies which i think is very possible Shin and gang can become part of the 6GG