General & Others How did Shanks>Mihawk become so popular?

CoC isnt CoA you combine with weapons, i honestly don't know what Adv CoC would look like but I agree Mihawk beats Shank if it's a sword fight.
Sword fight means a fight that involves tornados, Tsunamis, armament haki leaking, sniping, flying slashes, thrust attacks, fire, thunder, lightening, water, flower petals, giraffes, metal men..that kinda sword fight?

What's a sword fight in One Piece?

Shanks did genuinely look better than Mihawk in the build-up to and during Marineford.
Shanks clashed off with Whitebeard, intercepted Kaido, and ended the entire war just by showing up.

Meanwhile, Mihawk was stalled by Vista (after Marco told Vista to handle him), clashed with Crocodile, and failed to take out Luffy even after saying that he "wouldn't hold back" his strength.

Note: I actually do think Mihawk > Shanks. But you can't really blame people for having the misconception.

Heres the thing, one piece doesn't has a good set of rules to determine X is stronger than Y on such cases. Thats on author trying to hype everyone but not having a clear criteria. The author probably doesn't intend to have one over the other though.

Mihawk is a rival to shanks, so at the very least Mihawk=shanks. Oda hyped Mihawk as number 1 swordsman and he has shown it too. But oda has to hype shanks as a yonko too. And then in turn we have a hype created for Yonko themselves(like I can't really put BM/Kaido/WB the same as shanks, atleast BM/Kaido are just monsters, so shanks is to be seen like one too). So things get contradicted when we try to make sense of all of the info. So yeah we can't do that. Oda wants everyone of his character(atleast the top tiers with titles) to matter but at the same time he doesn't has a good criteria... there was an interview about the titles too like why WB is WSM etc... and his answer there, I could see he did not think much about it, just added titles to hype and he was trying to avoid giving clear answer as who is strongest etc.

I know it has a lot to do with youtubers almost all of them seem to think shanks is stronger then Mihawk and they are influencers so most people will just follow their lead, but why did most of them just huddle around this thought? I used to be shanks>Mihawk to until I thought about It for more then 5 minutes, so how did a ridiculous notion get so popular? Not trolling rn I’m genuinely curious how this happened.
I think there is a couple of group who believe Shanks>Mihawk.

1st group considers Shanks-Mihawk to be the mid generation Luffy-Zoro. So deep down their powerscaling is based on "if Luffy>Zoro then Shanks>Mihawk". Shanks' portrayal as a yonko, his Godlike entry at MF, him being a part of Kaido's top 5 also fuels the fire. Some of these guys do believe Shanks is the strongest in the series. Many top youtubers falls in this category. I completely disagree with this group but I can see where they are coming from.

2nd group have agenda because they hate Zoro. So they will bring every little things under microscope to downplay Mihawk. The Vista clash gets way more focus than it deserves. The main objective of this group is to downplay Mihawk because he is directly linked with EoS Zoro's power level. Clowns like KOL falls in this category.

I think there is a couple of group who believe Shanks>Mihawk.

1st group considers Shanks-Mihawk to be the mid generation Luffy-Zoro. So deep down their powerscaling is based on "if Luffy>Zoro then Shanks>Mihawk". Shanks' portrayal as a yonko, his Godlike entry at MF, him being a part of Kaido's top 5 also fuels the fire. Some of these guys do believe Shanks is the strongest in the series. Many top youtubers falls in this category. I completely disagree with this group but I can see where they are coming from.

2nd group have agenda because they hate Zoro. So they will bring every little things under microscope to downplay Mihawk. The Vista clash gets way more focus than it deserves. The main objective of this group is to downplay Mihawk because he is directly linked with EoS Zoro's power level. Clowns like KOL falls in this category.
I guess i belong to the first group, which support the narrative of Luffy (fighter with many power sets maxed and even gets two extreme haxxes already) >Zoro (fighter with fewer power sets maxed) and putting a parallel from it to become Shanks > Mihawk

Shanks did genuinely look better than Mihawk in the build-up to and during Marineford.
Shanks clashed off with Whitebeard, intercepted Kaido, and ended the entire war just by showing up.

Meanwhile, Mihawk was stalled by Vista (after Marco told Vista to handle him), clashed with Crocodile, and failed to take out Luffy even after saying that he "wouldn't hold back" his strength.

Note: I actually do think Mihawk > Shanks. But you can't really blame people for having the misconception.
What Shanks did is impressive. But that's face-value.

1.) "Shanks clashed off with Whitebeard"
Shanks was on a mission to convince Whitebeard to call off the attack on BB.
Whitebeard disrespected his wishes and the negotiation was called off.
What did Shanks do in desperate retaliation?
He decided to threaten Whitebeard with his weapon. Yes, he threatened WB FIRST.
Again, Shanks failed to convince him because WB doesn't comply with snitches or threats.
Recap: Shanks's mission was to convince WB and threaten with force if necessary. He failed to overcome WB, period.

2.) "intercepted Kaido"
No play by play scans of this supposed "fight" ever existed in the manga.
It's even worse than the Fujitora & Ryokugyu vs. Revo Commanders example. At least with this example, we were shown that Fuji was bandaged due to the FIGHT and this gave further hype to Dragon's commanders as well.
Shanks wasn't even seen hurt at all. Not a single blemish but we are forced to believe that these two fought and are on the same tier level? Logically, it doesn't add up.
To be frank, I don't really care what happened between Shanks and Kaido. The fans deserve the truth. It helps both Shanks and Kaido's side in the end.

3.) "ended the entire war just by showing up."
By far one of the more overhyped examples. If Shanks and his friends are so badass then they should bring that same energy to the current Marines when they are FRESH and not fatigued. Hell, pre-ts Marines would have handled them.

4.) "Note: I actually do think Mihawk > Shanks. But you can't really blame people for having the misconception."
I can drink to that. :cheers:​
Post automatically merged:

Because Shanks is more than just a mere sword user... You see, Yonkos use weapons but are not the main fighting style method...

Using sword alone, Shanks can be able to stalemate the best swordsman... If Shanks go all out, it's a game over for Mihawk...
He used his sword against Whitebeard. A being who was at the time the strongest man in the world.
So no. Shanks's primary style is using his sword to fight. CURRENT evidence as of 1007 chapters say Shanks is a sword user. Nothing more, nothing less.

To say that Shanks has this hidden style that he purposely conceals is baseless. At least with Mihawk, we know he can fight with other weapons. You know? The dagger.

Last edited:
J

Jo_Ndule

What Shanks did is impressive. But that's face-value.

1.) "Shanks clashed off with Whitebeard"
Shanks was on a mission to convince Whitebeard to call off the attack on BB.
Whitebeard disrespected his wishes and the negotiation was called off.
What did Shanks do in desperate retaliation?
He decided to threaten Whitebeard with his weapon. Yes, he threatened WB FIRST.
Again, Shanks failed to convince him because WB doesn't comply with snitches or threats.
Recap: Shanks's mission was to convince WB and threaten with force if necessary. He failed to overcome WB, period.

2.) "intercepted Kaido"
No play by play scans of this supposed "fight" ever existed in the manga.
It's even worse than the Fujitora & Ryokugyu vs. Revo Commanders example. At least with this example, we were shown that Fuji was bandaged due to the FIGHT and this gave further hype to Dragon's commanders as well.
Shanks wasn't even seen hurt at all. Not a single blemish but we are forced to believe that these two fought and are on the same tier level? Logically, it doesn't add up.
To be frank, I don't really care what happened between Shanks and Kaido. The fans deserve the truth. It helps both Shanks and Kaido's side in the end.

3.) "ended the entire war just by showing up."
By far one of the more overhyped examples. If Shanks and his friends are so badass then they should bring that same energy to the current Marines when they are FRESH and not fatigued. Hell, pre-ts Marines would have handled them.

4.) "Note: I actually do think Mihawk > Shanks. But you can't really blame people for having the misconception."
I can drink to that. :cheers:​
Post automatically merged:

He used his sword against Whitebeard. A being who was at the time the strongest man in the world.
So no. Shanks's primary style is using his sword to fight. CURRENT evidence as of 1007 chapters say Shanks is a sword user. Nothing more, nothing less.

To say that Shanks has this hidden style that he purposely conceals is baseless. At least with Mihawk, we know he can fight with other weapons. You know? The dagger.
When you're done saying this

Now post panels of Mihawk having better feats and hype than Shanks... Zero
The moment Oda made Shanks a Yonko while Minawk was just a mere warlord,
The moment Shanks had CoC but not Mihawk
The moment Shanks was hyped by Kaido and Linlin not Posthawk
The moment Shanks clashed WB and Kaido evenly while Mihawk was set aside to face high tiers

No matter what you huys write,

Oda doesn't view Mihawk above Shanks.
At best Shanks >= Mihawk.

these "hakiman" people are crazy, they talk as if Mihawk didn’t have haki and only used swordstyle in fights. However, one of the main skills of a swordsman is haki. That is why it is a waste of time to get into these discussions, there are guys who don’t think.

It looks like Shanks is going to drop the sword and start fighting like Garp, or drop haki lasers ...

Finalbeta

Zoro Worshipper
It turned popular because people cling on fantasies.

They fantasie over super far fetched scenarios.

- MF not constituting PIS
- WSS is a skill title not based off total individual power when I have never heard of an author thinking of a WSS title like that or even mentioning strongest swordsman more generically.

No need to think too much into it, probably not even Oda tries to justify everything.
Jozu is one of the people with toughest bodies so stopping a flying slash is expected but we saw from mr1 that flying slash and direct slash are two different things. People dont realize that Jozu is more suited to withstand the slash than Whitebeard is...
Mihawk not having used haki is the simplest answer though.
In fact, the only moment where we can assume Mihawk used haki during the war was when he cut Mr. 1