Powers & Abilities How intelligent are One Piece Characters ?

1. This is not a IQ test : an IQ test is about verbal, memory, calculus, visuo-spatial, logical, musical ?, Kinesthetic ?, Emotional ?, Concentration ?, Correlation ?, ... Abilities.

2. This is NOT referring about what Oda tell and told us.
Why ?

Because Chopper is a doctor, but outside of that he seems not even as smart as Luffy,

Because Franky is a technological genius but outside of that doesn't seem extraordinary,

Because Nami is THE navigational, meteorologist genius but outside of that doesn't seem extraordinary,

This is about what YOU think, of the GLOBAL intelligence of One Piece, and from others fiction, characters.

3. I set a little storage of who Oda and others fictional authors tell us is genius, without ranking them. I mean, Aizen or Kabuto or Light Yagami or Edogawa Konan ?

🌴

? - Ben Beckmann
75 - Sanji - Robin - Law - Blackbeard
73 - Mont d'Or
72,5 - Crocodile - Marco
72 - Fujitora
70 - Nami - Denjirou - Shanks - Dofflamingo - Queen
67,5 - Franky - Usopp - Brook - Jimbei - Aokiji - Mihawk - Mister 3 - Boa Hancock - King - Katakuri
66 - Akainu - Sengoku
65 - Sabo - Ace - Vivi - Buggy
64 - Whitebeard
63 - Cracker
62,5 - Kaidou
62 - Jack - Jozu
61 - Enel
60 - Zoro - Kinemon
50 - Luffy - Garp
46 - Oden
45 - Chopper
40 - Oars Junior

1 ------------------ ; 🏵️
Post automatically merged:

blackbeard is pretty smart in his plan.
I totally agree with you.

I think he is one of the smartest character of One Piece, one of the better schemer, and by a margin !

If I'm not wrong, Oda told us that Kuro, captain of the black cat pirates was one of the smartest guy in East Blue and I have a very hard time believing it while Blackbeard has success after success.

I badly expressed myself :

The topic is not judging the average intelligence of all the one piece characters like "more dumb than Real Life" or "smarter than Boku no Hero Academia people",

It is about ranking the most well-known characters based on what the reader is able to estimate, not utilising Oda hype too much.

Like we never saw Vegapunk, he is with a big probability the "most intelligent character concerning science" but if he is acting daily like Luffy or Chopper, he would be in the bottom of this ranking.

So let's add a little "Genius Hype" storage ( not a ranking but just what Oda and authors say to us, not using only feats ) :

- Itachi, Minato, Kakashi, Neji, Hashirama, Madara, Kabuto, Orochimaru, Sasuke, Boruto, ( Kagura Kamatachi ), Shikamaru, Shikaku,

- Kuro from Black Cats pirates, Nami, Zoro, Kuina, Ben Beckman, Vegapunk, Franky, Robin

- Edward and Alphonse Elric

- Hitsugaya, Ichigo, Inouïe, Yoruichi brother, Urahara, Aizen, Kenpachi Earlier

- L, Light Yagami, Nero

Last edited:
Average, Oda never cared to introduce masterminds or people who is always very intuitive like can be Conan, Light Yagami, L. In those shows that is the precise aim of the author and more specifically Death note is really short and made so it is a continuos chess match between Light and L while on the contrary Conan is as ling as hell yet Conan is really intuitive for the cases he works on, a genius investigator and that is that.

In OP the closest to this kind of characters are probably Law who is a bit of a mastermind and for sure way smarter than your average OP character but the usual character-villain you get are something between muscleheads and actual smart guys (even looking at Kaido he is a muscle cake but at least makes plans, dies smarts moves opposed to real muscleheads morons like Broly from DBZ). A verse where the characters, at least the ones who are part of the story, even the ones who make very minor parts, are generally way smarter than your average shounen dudes is HxH. In that show you can really see hoe intelligence is a weapon and the ones which don't plan in advance, and plan well, are destined to die miserably.

Because Franky is a technological genius but outside of that doesn't seem extraordinary,
What did you expect?
Most "high IQ" or intelligent individuals - merely in a calculatory way which is the common meaning of the term these days and it's lame but it is what it is, after all the modern society is about materialism in a pejorative understanding -, are low sentient - you can say autistic more or less - and outside of having a good calculatory ability, they usually lack everywhere else, especially in what you fantasized about them to have : Wisedom, or "real" intelligence, ie true understanding of life, its implications, especially metaphysically wise.

Last edited:
I badly expressed myself :

The topic is not judging the average intelligence of all the one piece characters like "more dumb than Real Life" or "smarter than Boku no Hero Academia people",

It is about ranking the most well-known characters based on what the reader is able to estimate, not utilising Oda hype too much.

Like we never saw Vegapunk, he is with a big probability the "most intelligent character concerning science" but if he is acting daily like Luffy or Chopper, he would be in the bottom of this ranking.

So let's add a little "Genius Hype" storage ( not a ranking but just what Oda and authors say to us, not using only feats ) :

- Itachi, Minato, Kakashi, Neji, Hashirama, Madara, Kabuto, Orochimaru, Sasuke, Boruto, ( Kagura Kamatachi ), Shikamaru, Shikaku,

- Kuro from Black Cats pirates, Nami, Zoro, Kuina, Ben Beckman, Vegapunk, Franky, Robin

- Edward and Alphonse Elric

- Hitsugaya, Ichigo, Inouïe, Yoruichi brother, Urahara, Aizen, Kenpachi Earlier

- L, Light Yagami, Nero
How is Zoro a genius?

What did you expect?
Most "high IQ" or intelligent individuals - merely in a calculatory way which is the common meaning of the term these days and it's lame but it is what it is, after all the modern society is about materialism in a pejorative understanding -, are low sentient - you can say autistic more or less - and outside of having a good calculatory ability, they usually lack everywhere else, especially in what you fantasmed about them to have : Wisedom, or "real" intelligence, ie true understanding of life, its implications, especially metaphysically wise.
Wo wo wo

Okay One Piece is one thing, but the relation between IQ and autism in One Piece Verse is something else.

You are right when you say that some autist display amazing abilities such as photographic memory ( or eidetic memory ), amazing calculus abilities and extraordinary devotion to some subjects that they love ( maybe we can talk about Japanese Otaku ).

But such autist are not all the big IQ , people can have big IQ and not lack in understanding social ways !

Franky is not autist ? I mean, Oda never talked about autism in One Piece !
Franky in real world ? Yes, I would say judging by his abilities with science and his particular way of expressing himself and clothe that he is possibly an autist and almost certainly a Zebra, a genius, a high potential individual.

Wo wo wo

Okay One Piece is one thing, but the relation between IQ and autism in One Piece Verse is something else.

You are right when you say that some autist display amazing abilities such as photographic memory ( or eidetic memory ), amazing calculus abilities and extraordinary devotion to some subjects that they love ( maybe we can talk about Japanese Otaku ).

But such autist are not all the big IQ , people can have big IQ and not lack in understanding social ways !

Franky is not autist ? I mean, Oda never talked about autism in One Piece !
Franky in real world ? Yes, I would say judging by his abilities with science and his particular way of expressing himself and clothe that he is possibly an autist and almost certainly a Zebra, a genius, a high potential individual.
yes i agree, but it's more likely to win in the lotto than to have an individual that has the highest calculatory intelligence, with the highest sentient "intelligence".
Even in our world, who have we got ?
Very few, and einstein, isn't one of them, all his quotes are average sentient while he acts like it's super insightful.

We have yet to see more about beckman and Vegapunk to make our judgment, but never OP was about high sentient individual, or with a great understanding of life.
If anything, luffy is the highest sentient one, despite not really knowing it : His deeds screams sentient, his mind screams low IQ.