Speculations How will Oda resolve the remaining Zoro plotlines?

The recent chapter with Sanji vs. Queen and all of Sanji's plotlines being resolved pretty concisely has me thinking about several Zoro plotlines that still have yet to receive closure.

To start with the obvious:

1. Is there actually a Kaido/Zoro plotline that will play out?

I'm not saying I subscribe to the ZKK theory, but it's hard to deny that there are several connections between Zoro and Kaido that have yet to be concluded. First, Kaido famously exclaimed that "there will never be a samurai as great as Oden." As soon as I read that line, I immediately thought that we were gonna have to get a scene where Kaido recognizes Zoro as a samurai greater than Oden. However, as great as Zoro's rooftop feats were, he still fell short of getting those words out of Kaido.

Whether or not this has to be something explicitly acknowledged by Kaido is debatable, as most people logically feel that Zoro forging Enma into a black blade would signal that he surpassed Oden. I don't disagree with that. However, I feel like this would have the most impact if it happened during Wano and in the presence of Kaido. Kaido seems to be so obsessed with Oden to the point that even being in front of Enma spooked him. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity if Oda didn't have Kaido seeing the emergence of a swordsman even mightier than the one who haunted him for 20 years.

Furthermore, the dialogue between Zoro and Queen at the start of the raid presents an interesting case. As we all have experienced, Oda tends to not forget about predictions and exclamations that characters make. It's even more strange when you examine the nature of Zoro's statement that he "came here to cut down Kaido." Not WE came here to cut down Kaido. Not LUFFY came here to cut down Kaido, BUT "I" came here to cut down Kaido. I don't remember Zoro ever being so intense about wanting to defeat a main villain. Sure, he showed interest in Crocodile and Lucci and even Enel to an extent, but not to the point that he said he would be the one defeating them. Is there some hidden connection between Zoro and Kaido that has yet to be revealed? This leads directly into the second plotline:

2. What's up with Zoro's backstory?

After chapter 1033, we finally had Oda drop all the info from that one SBS question into the actual manga. However, the recent SBS that came out indicated that Oda plans to keep at least some parts of the Shimotsuki lore stuff away from the manga. Despite that, I still expect Oda to give us at least something more regarding Zoro's backstory/lineage because if I'm being honest it would feel pretty lame to leave Wano with the same info that was already explained in an SBS. My main question to you is: will Oda use Yamato as a plot device through which we will gain additional info on Zoro's backstory/lineage?

I have a lot more to say but this thread is already turning into an essay, so I'm just gonna ask for your thoughts and opinions and add onto them. How do you see Oda handling these elements? Is there a way for Zoro to face Kaido again, and will Zoro's lineage be made clear by the end of Wano? If so, does Yamato play a role in executing that?

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
The recent chapter with Sanji vs. Queen and all of Sanji's plotlines being resolved pretty concisely has me thinking about several Zoro plotlines that still have yet to receive closure.

To start with the obvious:

1. Is there actually a Kaido/Zoro plotline that will play out?

I'm not saying I subscribe to the ZKK theory, but it's hard to deny that there are several connections between Zoro and Kaido that have yet to be concluded. First, Kaido famously exclaimed that "there will never be a samurai as great as Oden." As soon as I read that line, I immediately thought that we were gonna have to get a scene where Kaido recognizes Zoro as a samurai greater than Oden. However, as great as Zoro's rooftop feats were, he still fell short of getting those words out of Kaido.

Whether or not this has to be something explicitly acknowledged by Kaido is debatable, as most people logically feel that Zoro forging Enma into a black blade would signal that he surpassed Oden. I don't disagree with that. However, I feel like this would have the most impact if it happened during Wano and in the presence of Kaido. Kaido seems to be so obsessed with Oden to the point that even being in front of Enma spooked him. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity if Oda didn't have Kaido seeing the emergence of a swordsman even mightier than the one who haunted him for 20 years.

Furthermore, the dialogue between Zoro and Queen at the start of the raid presents an interesting case. As we all have experienced, Oda tends to not forget about predictions and exclamations that characters make. It's even more strange when you examine the nature of Zoro's statement that he "came here to cut down Kaido." Not WE came here to cut down Kaido. Not LUFFY came here to cut down Kaido, BUT "I" came here to cut down Kaido. I don't remember Zoro ever being so intense about wanting to defeat a main villain. Sure, he showed interest in Crocodile and Lucci and even Enel to an extent, but not to the point that he said he would be the one defeating them. Is there some hidden connection between Zoro and Kaido that has yet to be revealed? This leads directly into the second plotline:

2. What's up with Zoro's backstory?

After chapter 1033, we finally had Oda drop all the info from that one SBS question into the actual manga. However, the recent SBS that came out indicated that Oda plans to keep at least some parts of the Shimotsuki lore stuff away from the manga. Despite that, I still expect Oda to give us at least something more regarding Zoro's backstory/lineage because if I'm being honest it would feel pretty lame to leave Wano with the same info that was already explained in an SBS. My main question to you is: will Oda use Yamato as a plot device through which we will gain additional info on Zoro's backstory/lineage?

I have a lot more to say but this thread is already turning into an essay, so I'm just gonna ask for your thoughts and opinions and add onto them. How do you see Oda handling these elements? Is there a way for Zoro to face Kaido again, and will Zoro's lineage be made clear by the end of Wano? If so, does Yamato play a role in executing that?
If yamato joins then I can see Oda using her to give more information about Zoro lineage in future - maybe when they will meet or by the end of wano even if she doesn't join.

As far as Zoro showing interest in Kaido is concerned then I have two perspectives regarding it

1)Roof top was enough - Zoro feats was hell impressive and he even scarred kaido. If Oda decided to not kill Kaido then I think Zoro vs kaido plot is done.

Another reason which makes me believe that this might be the case is that Zoro went from fighting kaido to king which is kind of weird according to the way we were expecting

2)My Perspective - Rooftop was not enough - Well if Oda wants to kill kaido then there are only two contenders - BB and Zoro.

BB killing kaido will hype BB and people would go around screaming but at the same time it would be bad writing.

It will stole every limelight from the alliance and would shit on everything that happened so far. From narrative point of view it contradicts whatever happened so far - Oden desire/ Kaido attrocites/ Ryuma legacy and so on

So, zoro Killin kaido not only makes more sense but is also in line as per the plot and as you have said this is first time that Oda put heavy emphasis on Zoro cutting down Kaido

Regarding the Volume 101 SBS where Oda seems to indicate that he may not necessarily delve into Zoros connection to Ushimaru more, I thought his response was a little weird. He mentioned that there was originally going to be a scene where Onimaru noted Zoros resemblance to Ushimaru but he cut it because it would “make things complicated.” The strange thing is he subsequently had a chapter where Kawamatsu did basically that.

It would be really unsatisfying to have Kawamatsu specifically talk about the similarities Zoro has with Ushimaru and Ryuma and that’s not further delved into before this arc is over since logically this is the only arc where it should be relevant (nobody is going to bring up Ryuma when Zoro is fighting Shiryu for example). Seems to be wasted if it doesn’t lead to anything.

On the Kaido aspect, I feel pretty strongly that there is another encounter in store between Zoro and Kaido. Kaido is the only main arc villain that has such strong connections to Zoro. It would be weak writing imo for Zoro to inherit emma and have all this connection to Oden/Wano and end this arc just fighting the number 2 guy again.

Last edited:
1. I’ve Always been and still do subscribe to the Straw Hats vs Kaido climax of the arc. So we may get a scene where Kaido acknowledges Zoro then.
2. I just think Oda doesn’t consider Zoros backstory as important beyond Kuina. Basically, who Zoros parents are won’t have any impact on Zoros dream and character so there won’t be a major plot about it.

I'm someone who likes the idea of Zoro being the son of nobodies much better than him being from a special lineage.
So while I understand people finding it unsatisfying if it goes nowhere, i wouldn't mind Zoro looking like Ushimaru and Ryuma just red herring.
You know, unrelated person looking like anothe person happen in real life.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I presume once King is defeated Luffy will either already have defeated Kaido or not and it's not clear which one is more likely. There are overall rather low chances Zoro will help Luffy vanquishing Kaido but when it comes to ZKK since there's so much ground to it I presume Zoro will arguably really fullfil his promise and cut him down. The question is now will his head be cut down?

We will have a splendid closure of Zoro backstory the moment he ll visit Ryuma I have no doubt.

About Zoro vs Kaido I have no doubt that narrative speaking Kaido has to die and there is no other valid candidate if not Zoro. Oda could combine that plot with the monstrous samurai and also pay respect to Ryuma previous legacy in Wano.

We will have a splendid closure of Zoro backstory the moment he ll visit Ryuma I have no doubt.

About Zoro vs Kaido I have no doubt that narrative speaking Kaido has to die and there is no other valid candidate if not Zoro. Oda could combine that plot with the monstrous samurai and also pay respect to Ryuma previous legacy in Wano.
Since when we are doing villains desires?

Since when we are doing villains desires?
Villain desire?
It is what the main characters in Wano want:
Oden want Kaido head
The scabban want Kaido head
(Wano people want that the beast pirate are gone)

This arent villains this are poor souls that dream (title 993 is: the dream of Wano) and the main point of that chapter is that the scabban will not stop to fight until they take Kaido head, that what they said.

Last edited:
Villain desire?
It what the main characters in Wano want:
Oden want Kaido head

This arent villains this are poor souls that dream (title 993 is title: the dream of Wano) and the main point of the scabban is not to KO Kaido but take his head (that fight aint over until we take Kaido head) that what they said.
Villain desire?
It what the main characters in Wano want:
Oden want Kaido head

This arent villains this are poor souls that dream (title 993 is title: the dream of Wano) and the main point of the scabban is not to KO Kaido but take his head (that fight aint over until we take Kaido head) that what they said.
Isn't their dreams to do it by themselves? If others will make it then is better not to kill. Kaido wants an honorable dead and he will get it if Zoro do it.

Isn't their dreams to do it by themselves? If others will make it then is better not to kill. Kaido wants an honorable dead and he will get it if Zoro do it.
The point is that they dont have enough strength, Kaido said that if you cant open the old scar of Oden you can't aim to take Kaido'head.

Zoro can, that the point. Kaido will not get an honorable death if he get chop like ryuma did.

The point is that they dont have enough strength, Kaido said that if you cant open the old scar of Oden you can't aim to take Kaido'head.

Zoro can, that the point. Kaido will not get an honorable death if he get chop like ryuma did.
In Kaido's mind he will. That's why he almost let Scabbards kill him because they were reminding him of Oden. He literally said that.