Chapter Discussion I found this in the tweet, was the title of the strongest living creature in the world translated by a fan of the admiral?

S

Sasaki Kojirō

I found this in the tweet, what's your opinion on it? To me, it honestly makes sense. There are many incorrect translations in this manga; the spoilers say one thing (leakers), and three different sites translate it differently, and finally, Viz, which already has a long history of translation errors, translates it in whatever way they see fit, without caring... LOL

For clarification in japanese chapter there is no such thing as " people say or said to be" the term oda uses to talk about kaido title is [呼ばれる / called] which makes it valid not just some rumor running around, btw he used the same term on roger pirate king title too.

Thanks. And is "呼ばれる" always used in the original version when referring to Kaidos title, or just in the introduction?
You're welcome, it been used to refer to his title couple of times here and there like in vol introduction, and in other occasions he got referred to his title without it like in [manga, anime, vol cover , ace novel, one piece magazine, the road to laughtale...etc].

So the "people say" part is completely a translation error and not a thing in the japanese fanbase?
Exactly, i don't know a lot about Japanese fanbase though, but i can guarantee to you that this mistake made an impact on kaido title which led to make a lot of one piece fans to go head and denying it .

Link if you want to read the discussion:

@SkySanji @Hanzo hattori @comrade @nik87 @Fleet Leader Fenaker @MonsterKaido @Tejas @Pringles @GUI @Jyg-Lyg @Erkan12 @GeneralP123 @Blazing Lion @Philosoraptor @RebelliousSoma @Heart pirate @Redboy776 etc...

S

Sasaki Kojirō

So "said to be" was added by ladmiral fans? Lol
The guy just said that this was never said, the correct term is "called the strongest living creature" or "known as the strongest living creature." When Neko invites Marco to join the war in Wano, Oda refreshes the readers' memory about who Marco was, and in some translations, it goes like this: "Marco was known as Whitebeard's right-hand man." The word "known" doesn't deny that Marco is Whitebeard's right-hand man, but Viz translated it completely differently, and I don't know why. On the map above, Kaido is described as : A pirate known as the strongest living creature.
:kayneshrug:

There is this image in English:

From what I understand after a bit of research and info in your post:

Roger : Title Pirate King
Kaido : Title The strongest being / creature / whatever

So he had the Pirate King title. The treasure from what I understand is some shit he collected or an item, not his title or whatever some people imagine. The one piece doesn't grant him power to be pirate king.

S

Sasaki Kojirō

From what I understand after a bit of research and info in your post:

Roger : Title Pirate King
Kaido : Title The strongest being / creature / whatever

So he had the Pirate King title. The treasure from what I understand is some shit he collected or an item, not his title or whatever some people imagine. The one piece doesn't grant him power to be pirate king.
The narrator says that Roger came to be known as the Pirate King in this panel. The issue here is that the Japanese words used are the same as in the panel referring to Kaido being known as the strongest living creature. There is no "said to be." Using "known as" or "called" can be a suitable translation, and it removes the ambiguity. This ambiguity can lead to various interpretations, with some suggesting that "said to be" implies it's a kind of rumor, while "known as" or "called" clarifies that it's an established fact.

So much so that if you take another reference, they already switch to "known as."

And it is the same thing that is written by the narrator, just with a different translation. LMAO

The narrator says that Roger came to be known as the Pirate King in this panel. The issue here is that the Japanese words used are the same as in the panel referring to Kaido being known as the strongest living creature. There is no "said to be." Using "known as" or "called" can be a suitable translation, and it removes the ambiguity. This ambiguity can lead to various interpretations, with some suggesting that "said to be" implies it's a kind of rumor, while "known as" or "called" clarifies that it's an established fact.

So much so that if you take another reference, they already switch to "known as."

And it is the same thing that is written by the narrator, just with a different translation. LMAO

Yes. Word for word it would translate as called / known as = yobareru
Which in this context is a title is it not?

As you see I am not disagreeing with you. It's a title like any other, doesn't have to be in an official document like the Warlords?!

S

Sasaki Kojirō

that's stephen paul's translation , i doubt anyone would question him for having an agenda
He doesn't necessarily have to have an agenda to be wrong; it's just a joke. It's just a joke that he's an admirals fan.
Post automatically merged:

Yes. Word for word it would translate as called / known as = yobareru
Which in this context is a title is it not?

As you see I am not disagreeing with you. It's a title like any other, doesn't have to be in an official document like the Warlords?!
Yes, you are right; it's a title.

So same Kanji can be read as "said" or "known" correct? Just like Saikyo can mean strongest or toughest. It depends on interpretation. Well VIZ is no end all be all.

S

Sasaki Kojirō

Interesting how there was no "translation error" with Mihawk's or WB' title :shame:
Kaidou and Roger, besides what is said by the narrator, there is no title box calling them WSC and PK.
This does not deny that Kaidou is the WSC, and Roger is the Pk.
Post automatically merged:

well if there's this mistake , Sandman would have mentioned it ?
It depends, I don't know if Sadman will go through all the panels of this manga looking for translator errors and the term that best suits it.
Like that Tweet guy did.

Kaido can hardly be considered a fraud; his title is legit.

Whether Kizaru gets up and continues fighting again or not remains to be seen but it is evident that a single powerful ACoC already injured Kizaru that much; an attack weaker than OKG. Kaido ate dozens of ACoC attacks, even a large barrage of Snake Man hits, a new technique not to mention.

All of that stuff whilst carrying an entire island.

Sure, people could say "But the best thing is just his durability" but: is it really so? Kaido is a very well-rounded fighter who is powerful, durable and incredibly fast as well. He might not move in LS but he sure blitzed G5 A LOT. I'd say he's even faster than Old Garp who managed to catch Kuzan a few times with his speed.

Before Kaido was defeated, he truly was the strongest Yonko. Now BB and Shanks need to step up their game. Shanks made a very good start by one shotting Kidd but BB still needs to show more imo.

Fresh Kaido would high diff Luffy imo.