Current Events In 3 Quick Chapters, Oda Ruined The Portrayal Of The Marines, Dragon, And Mihawk

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
Well no that's not exactly what's happening here. The world sees Buggy as a top tier.

This isn't 2 men making an East blue character a Yonkou. This is Buggy the top tier validating himself by having people as strong as Mihawk and Crocodile under him, and together they effectively qualify as a Yonkou crew (let's also not ignore Buggy has plenty of manpower, enough to become a warlord despite never showing his own strength).
The status of having those two as underlings is what’s pushing him that high up, they’re the make it or break it for Buggy. Can’t see Buggy with Marco and Jozu getting the same credentials, especially after Marco had to prove himself to the Gorosei before they acknowledged him as anything.

“Post Arc is gonna go crazy!” they said.

The portrayal of Marines and admirals got wrecked by Sabo and Shanks.
Bullshit.

Revolutionaries retreated upon completion of their mission and Shanks gave warning to a conflict Aramaki had no interest in at the time - likely because he had no backup whatsoever, not that it would matter in a 1v1 because Yonkou >>> Admirals has always been obvious to anyone with a functioning brain.

Dragon is literally being overshadowed by Sabo before entering the damn story.
Dragon dwells in the shadows by choice. His entire character is a mystery and that's likely how it'll remain for some time.

Sabo on the other hand is a young, bright, charismatic individual with good looks, a flashy Devil Fruit and sense of chivalry. Naturally he would be popular.

They're each serving entirely different roles and in different lanes. Do you seriously think Dragon cares Sabo is in the limelight? Laughable. If anything, he's pleased with the support it's generating for their cause.

Mihawk is now an ally (best case) or subordinate (worst case) of Buggy, and is both mentioned and regarded in the same breath as CROCODILE.
We have no fucking clue what their arrangement with Buggy is, yet people are already crying about it.

Crocodile isn't on Mihawk's level, but he is far stronger than you might think. Power-scaling in One Piece is fucked, which is why I make fun of dorks that obsess over it. In a span of mere weeks, Luffy went from struggling to beat Doflamingo to beating Kaidou. If that doesn't put things in perspective, nothing will.

As for Mihawk - the guy leisurely goes about his business in a coffin-shaped ship. What could be more in character for him than to join Buggy's crew under conditions he finds suitable? No one can claim master over Mihawk, the guy can pretty much do whatever the fuck he wants, wherever he wants, and to whomever he wants. On his own. I could see Mihawk joining on Buggy on a whim or for multitude of other reasons; whether it was to amuse himself, converging interests, or maybe he's merely sticking around because they've got good booze.

Oda doesn’t give a shit about legacy characters.
For one thing, that more often tends to be a good thing than a bad thing.

Secondly, you're completely wrong on this considering the number of characters introduced in early One Piece that are still around. Buggy is the biggest legacy character of them all - he was such a minor villain at the start and Oda developed him into a pretty integral character (miss me with that bullshit Oda had it all planned out), and I'm not just talking about his becoming a Yonkou. Impel Down was a phenomenal outing for Buggy as a character.

Crocodile went 100s of chapters without an appearance before becoming a significant player during Impel Down and Marineford, and he's still around.

Arlong, a freaking nobody, had relevance during Water 7 and Fish-Man Island arc.

Coby had the biggest glow up of them all and he appeared in chapter one.

There are dozens of characters that Oda introduced earlier into the story that remain relevant and impactful down the line, and he's doing it without forcing it.

Last edited:

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
The status of having those two as underlings is what’s pushing him that high up, they’re the make it or break it for Buggy. Can’t see Buggy with Marco and Jozu getting the same credentials, especially after Marco had to prove himself to the Gorosei before they acknowledged him as anything.
Well yea that's because like I said Buggy validated himself by having the literal WSS and another former Warlord under him. Marco and Jozu don't have the same clout, and even though I don't see Marco, Jozu, and Buggy doing the heavylifting to be seen as a Yonkou crew, it's still just an assumption. The reality is Buggy had a strong enough crew to the point where he never proved himself and yet held the title of Warlord just by virtue of having underlings that strong. You add Mihawk and Crocodile to that and it's hardly a shock he became a Yonkou.

Now Buggy's own power level is perceived even higher than Mihawk and Crocodile.

So you got Buggy a peak top tier able to command the WSS, Mihawk the WSS, and Crocodile a former warlord, + Buggy's old crew and w.e Crocodile has with him.

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
True but they’re significantly more popular than Reddit or worstgen and if the average fan there thinks this chapter is bad for Mihawk then it’s safe to say his portrayal got fucked. Since portrayal is literally just “how it’s portrayed” to the audience.
I don’t really care what ransoms I’m the internet think

True but they’re significantly more popular than Reddit or worstgen and if the average fan there thinks this chapter is bad for Mihawk then it’s safe to say his portrayal got fucked. Since portrayal is literally just “how it’s portrayed” to the audience.
The odd part is that even if you try to bring up feats to wank Mihawk given the situation he is in right now (feats that come basically from Marineford), it'ss possible to say Crocodile looks just as good as him

So its just like Oda is either downgrading Mihawk to be compared to Crocodile, or wanking Crocodile so he can be paired with Mihawk

Even then, i guess this is not what people were expecting

I'd buy Crocodile having become a comparable threat to Mihawk in a heartbeat.

It's One Piece.

Oda doesn't give a fuck about powerscaling or the dorks crying over it.

The only priority an author has is to the story, and a story has to be interesting first and foremost, otherwise, including the author, why should anyone care?

Regardless of where they rank in terms of strength, if you don't find it interesting both Crocodile and Mihawk have aligned with Buggy, that is a you problem, not an Oda problem.

He actually cares a lot about powerscaling, he is just not that good at it, and leave the fanbase with questions and doubts very often

He can care a lot about powerscaling but still have a poor writing at some moments
What evidence would you suggest indicates Oda cares?

Do you realise it's only been a couple weeks since Dressrosa? Since then, Luffy has clashed with Big Mom and beaten Kaidou, and his "wings" defeated two 1.3bn+ Yonkou Commanders with higher bounties than Katakuri.

Crocodile was imprisoned early on in the manga, yet months later in real time he was fighting and clashing with individuals like Mihawk and Doflamingo, among others.

Those are just some prominent examples on the top of my mind.

There is no consistency to the power rankings in One Piece because Oda doesn't care about them. I consider that a good thing.

Well no that's not exactly what's happening here. The world sees Buggy as a top tier.

This isn't 2 men making an East blue character a Yonkou. This is Buggy the top tier validating himself by having people as strong as Mihawk and Crocodile under him, and together they effectively qualify as a Yonkou crew (let's also not ignore Buggy has plenty of manpower, enough to become a warlord despite never showing his own strength).
You are not wrong, but you are not entirely right either.

If Buggy was perceived as top tier and he also had a strong crew, why couldnt he become a yonko? He definitely needed Mihawk and Crocodile to get over the hump. Many here are underestimating how hard it is to become a yonko from a shichibukai. As I said in a previous post =>
Its not easy to become a yonko from shichibukai.

Blackbeard had to.........
(1) recruit the strongest level 6 prisoners in his crew,
(2) kill Whitebeard and steal his devil fruit,
(3) conquer Whitebeard's territory and
(4) destroy Whitbeard remnants
.........to be a yonko from shichibukai

Luffy had to......
(1) invade Big Mom territory and beat his top commanders (which gave him the fake yonko title)
(2) beat the WSC at Wano
(3) awaken the power of Joyboy (its in his new bounty poster) that WG was scared of
......to be a yonko

Law and Kidd, despite bringing down Big Mom, couldnt become yonkos. Kidd even has a WG supernova under his wing.

But Buggy the clown, who had a crew of weaklings (Harjudin was his S-class mercenary) became a yonko when Mihawk joined him.
The bigger problem for me is Crocodile and Mihawk being grouped together. There is no distinction between them and thats bothering me.

ZenZu

You are not wrong, but you are not entirely right either.

If Buggy was perceived as top tier and he also had a strong crew, why couldnt he become a yonko? He definitely needed Mihawk and Crocodile to get over the hump. Many here are underestimating how hard it is to become a yonko from a shichibukai. As I said in a previous post =>

The bigger problem for me is Crocodile and Mihawk being grouped together. There is no distinction between them and thats bothering me.
You more or less agreed with everything I said.

Buggy wasn't confirmed as a top tier and even if he was perceived as a top tier, his crew was missing some pieces to compete with the Yonkou.

The assumption for Buggy becoming a Warlord was that he had to be incredibly strong to command a group as strong as he did. But now adding the WSS and another former Warlord did 2 things.

1.confirmed to everyone that Buggy is at the apex of the verse
2.Gave Buggy a strong enough crew to be seen as a Yonkou

Now ofcourse Mihawk and Crocodile did all the heavy lifting for this to come into fruition, this is where tons of respect is due to them. But like we keep repeating Mihawk and Crocodile. There was no separation made, and that's where the real problem lies for Mihawk.

Buggy wasn't confirmed as a top tier and even if he was perceived as a top tier, his crew was missing some pieces to compete with the Yonkou.

The assumption for Buggy becoming a Warlord was that he had to be incredibly strong to command a group as strong as he did. But now adding the WSS and another former Warlord did 2 things.

Now ofcourse Mihawk and Crocodile did all the heavy lifting for this to come into fruition, this is where tons of respect is due to them. But like we keep repeating Mihawk and Crocodile. There was no separation made, and that's where the real problem lies for Mihawk.
What separation? They are fucking Warlords. Of course they are going to be compared.

The difference lies in that Crocodile was crushed by a Yonko, while Mihawk was called legendary by that very same Yonko.

My point was Blackbeard or Luffy needed hella a lot of achievements to be a yonko, killing Whitbeard and taking his power and land or defeating Kaido. Buggy just needed those 2 joining him, thats seen as big of an achievement as inheriting Whitebeard's abilities or defeating Kaido. As you said, the problem is I am unable to give all the credit to Mihawk here as the poster and Law grouped them together and nobody separated them.

Perhaps Oda implied it => "Crocodile is a fodder, so Mihawk did all the heavy lifting. Use your brain boys" :pepecafe:

ZenZu

What separation? They are fucking Warlords. Of course they are going to be compared.

The difference lies in that Crocodile was crushed by a Yonko, while Mihawk was called legendary by that very same Yonko.
I'm not shocked by this if that's what you're saying. This is just more of the same of what was happening in MF. But it doesn't help Mihawk that he's constantly grouped with the Crocodiles of the world (being that Alabasta Luffy defeated him).
Post automatically merged:

Perhaps Oda implied it => "Crocodile is a fodder, so Mihawk did all the heavy lifting. Use your brain boys" :pepecafe:
:jackcopium:

ZenZu

Oda aint gonna spoonfed you everything :feelsokeman:
Oda needs to start spoonfeeding us some Mihawk hype asap. Before I start believing in the Shiryu kills Mihawk theory.

Let's be honest though Mihawk when he shows feats is gonna be capable of neg diffing Crocodile, Oda just keeps this charade up of making the rest of the warlords relevant.

My point was Blackbeard or Luffy needed hella a lot of achievements to be a yonko, killing Whitbeard and taking his power and land or defeating Kaido. Buggy just needed those 2 joining him, thats seen as big of an achievement as inheriting Whitebeard's abilities or defeating Kaido. As you said, the problem is I am unable to give all the credit to Mihawk here as the poster and Law grouped them together and nobody separated them.

Yonkou is not a title reflecting strength, it's a title reflecting power.

Power can be achieved through a multitude of ways, including through the collection of powerful assets.

Thus far, all the Yonkou possessed strength, territory and assets. What he lacks in strength, Buggy compensates for with extremely powerful assets. As for territory, one should readily accept that Buggy has amassed plenty by now, especially if he's wealthy enough to put bounties on marines.

What evidence would you suggest indicates Oda cares?

Do you realise it's only been a couple weeks since Dressrosa? Since then, Luffy has clashed with Big Mom and beaten Kaidou, and his "wings" defeated two 1.3bn+ Yonkou Commanders with higher bounties than Katakuri.

Crocodile was imprisoned early on in the manga, yet months later in real time he was fighting and clashing with individuals like Mihawk and Doflamingo, among others.

Those are just some prominent examples on the top of my mind.

There is no consistency to the power rankings in One Piece because Oda doesn't care about them. I consider that a good thing.
I suggest you see this video because the entire series is based on power levels and scaling.

He always goes in his way into showing power structures and by default levels during the entirety of the series, not to mention Luffy is going for the TOP of that ladder, to become pirate king.