General & Others Is One Piece Overrated, Underrated or Fairly Rated

Thoughts on One Piece?

• Total voters
So McDonald's is now the best food in town according to your logic? Or that Hitler was the best leader for Germany during his time, right? The popularity of something doesn't correlate to what is simply factual about that thing. We're talking about grading a product for what it is, not how high something's trending. Anyone can like something, but it's something else to articulate the why, and it's a completely different thing altogether to withhold said reasoning of liking something under scrutiny. I've seen people make up reasoning for liking a thing out of thin air, and seen such false notions spread.

Popularity doesn't answer the why of how One Piece is rated. We have to understand the actual details why people rate One Piece as they do, and a simple number isn't able to answer this enigma as a sale number alone can't be used to rate anything other than it's marketability.

It's your perogative to use marketability as a determination of how good something is, but that alone only tells us about it's popularity, and absolutely nothing else. It can't even tell us why it is popular, only that it is popular, which is in a way circular reasoning on your part as your not explaining why is popular.
Popularity ( sales ) is pretty much only factual indicator when comparing something like mangas. There is no actual way to test quality of 2 mangas except using majority rule which is based on personal likings / opinions of people. So stop with crap.

Popularity ( sales ) is pretty much only factual indicator when comparing something like mangas. There is no actual way to test quality of 2 mangas except using majority rule which is based on personal likings / opinions of people. So stop with crap.
And what does the popularity say about the work itself? Your circular logic is not sufficient, and until you overcome this fallacy, this argument is pretty much over.

And what does the popularity say about the work itself? Your circular logic is not sufficient, and until you overcome this fallacy, this argument is pretty much over.
When you come out with actual parameters that are factual and/or measurement methods that would allow us to compare quality of mangas then we can discuss this topic in detail , until then fareewell.

When you come out with actual parameters that are factual and/or measurement methods that would allow us to compare quality of mangas then we can discuss this topic in detail , until then fareewell.
Sadly you didn't even attempt to establish or discuss what makes One Piece popular as if it's a total mystery when it isn't, and simply kept repeating that simple fact of sales like a parrot. I was even willing to converse with you about the ins and out on what makes One Piece popular, but I see you're not open for such a topic. Maybe something of value will come from you in another convo.

Until then, bon voyage.

Sadly you didn't even attempt to establish or discuss what makes One Piece popular as if it's a total mystery when it isn't, and simply kept repeating that simple fact of sales like a parrot. I was even willing to converse with you about the ins and out on what makes One Piece popular, but I see you're not open for such a topic. Maybe something of value will come from you in another convo.

Until then, bon voyage.
BON VOYAGE

Until then, bon voyage.
You are the one that needs to establish why one piece sales don't equal to it being quality manga not me because I never argued about that.I at least have factual data while you have nothing factual .

You are the one that needs to establish why one piece sales don't equal to it being quality manga not me because I never argued about that.I at least have factual data while you have nothing factual .
The burden of proof is on you to prove how sale numbers correlate to how One Piece is rated as popularity alone doesn't explain why One Piece is rated as it is. Just saying something is popular doesn't even explain why it is popular. You're just using circular reasoning, which isn't apt to properly explain the phenomenon of how One Piece is rated.

The burden of proof is on you to prove how sale numbers correlate to how One Piece is rated as popularity alone doesn't explain why One Piece is rated as it is. Just saying something is popular doesn't even explain why it is popular. You're just using circular reasoning, which isn't apt to properly explain the phenomenon of how One Piece is rated.
Prove what , you are the one who started quoting me in first place , I asked you to bring factual data or measurement methods for your claims , something you ignored .

Prove what , you are the one who started quoting me in first place , I asked you to bring factual data or measurement methods for your claims , something you ignored .
Prove why popularity = rating, which you still haven't done. Don't try to spin the burden on proof on me as you're the one that has the positive claim to prove to be true, not me.

Post a scan where I claimed popularity = rating .
"Let the sales speak and you will find your answer there."

This is your quote where you indicate sales = ratings. So not exactly popularity, but even then sale numbers alone doesn't tell the whole story of how something is rated as they don't explain why One Piece sold so well, but rather it simply did, and it especially doesn't tell us how One Piece is rated. So the burden of proof's still on you.

"Let the sales speak and you will find your answer there."

This is your quote where you indicate sales = ratings. So not exactly popularity, but even then sale numbers alone doesn't tell the whole story of how something is rated as they don't explain why One Piece sold so well, but rather it simply did, and it especially doesn't tell us how One Piece is rated. So the burden of proof's still on you.
I never indicated sales = rating I only indicated you cant be best selling manga by far without some quality content. Stop putting words into my mouth . Seeing how I never said that there is no any burden of proof on me .

I never indicated sales = rating I only indicated you cant be best selling manga by far without some quality content. Stop putting words into my mouth . Seeing how I never said that there is no any burden of proof on me .
But you haven't even explained how that correlates to how it's rated. Simply conjecture without evidence. Many things have been popular and sold extremely well under falsehoods and even solely faith in an unproven product. So no. Such a statement still doesn't suffice.

And even then, your quote doesn't even answer the topic at hand as there's no indication in your statement on how One Piece is rated, nor what qualities are being rated. Only that it sold well for unspecified reasons.

But you haven't even explained how that correlates to how it's rated. Simply conjecture without evidence. Many things have been popular and sold extremely well under falsehoods and even solely faith in an unproven product. So no. Such a statement still doesn't suffice.

And even then, your quote doesn't even answer the topic at hand as there's no indication in your statement on how One Piece is rated, nor what qualities are being rated. Only that it sold well for unspecified reasons.
Sales and its popularity are all explanations needed for me , if you disagree thats kinda your issue not mine. There isnt actual way to compare quality of manga without including personal preferences and with this being said every comparison is kinda pointless for me because I dont argue about that.

Sales and its popularity are all explanations needed for me , if you disagree thats kinda your issue not mine. There isnt actual way to compare quality of manga without including personal preferences and with this being said every comparison is kinda pointless for me because I dont argue about that.
Eh... Your statement doesn't even come close to answering the topic opener at hand, but you do you.

I don't know... something about GEAR 5 made the one piece fans act up. I've only noticed the belittling of other anime when GEAR 5 became a thing. It's usually just the echo chambers of twitter/reddit. Where fans call everything Iconic and the greatest of all time/space.

Everytime I see a Gear 5 profile pic now, I assume it's someone who thinks one piece is the greatest human creation, and Oda is the second coming of Shakespeare.

I wouldn't put one piece in a top 10 of anime/manga I personally enjoy. I've never felt the need to rewatch/re-read it, and there are some arcs that I personally find un-watchable.

I think One Piece is overrated...

But only because the amount of people who read it is WAY MORE than I ever expected.

I mean, it's good, but it's just one story among a small selection of similar titles in the genre.

It's as weird as playing Crash Bandicoot for the first time thinking okay yeah this is a cool game and I guess some people like it - but you find out like 200 million people are playing it religiously and you're like wow... I didn't know that many people liked the lil Bandicoot guy.

"... I didn't know that many people liked the lil rubber dude." - Me