General & Others Is there any better manga than One Piece?

Is there any better manga than One Piece?

• NOPE

• YES, it's... (comment pls)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ok, fair enough.

You said that "it has become repetitive, especially post-skip", so I thought you were implying that there was a time when it wasn't repetitive or that it was any different pre-skip. I don't really mind it because it's good to have a constant ongoing manga I'll always be interested in, but it's a fair complaint why it might not be the "best".
Ah ok, I see, that "it has become repetitive, especially post-skip" line is definitely misleading, you're right.

Let me rephrase it: We always knew that Oda sticks to his one oldschool formula, when it comes to arcs. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it's ok if at least the themes of the arcs differ from each other.

After the timeskip it became even more repetitive though. Dressrosa resembles Alabasta in an absurd amount of aspects (Shichibukai taking over kingdom, princess as damsel in distress, evil guy threatening to kill all the people of this kingdom in a timelimit etc.).

Same with WCI and Enies Lobby + Thriller Bark tbh (crewmember has to be brought back, land of weird living things, antagonist with a DF to control souls/shadows etc.).

After the timeskip it became even more repetitive though. Dressrosa resembles Alabasta in an absurd amount of aspects (Shichibukai taking over kingdom, princess as damsel in distress, evil guy threatening to kill all the people of this kingdom in a timelimit etc.).
I don't know, aside from the Rebecca princess bullshit, I thought Dressrosa was quite refreshing. Colosseum fights - never before seen in OP - and tbf who doesn't like tournament arcs. Best villain bar none, bird cage like an ultimate trouble. Interesting new characters in the mix - Law, Cavendish, Barto, Sabo, God Usopp, Fujitora etc. I was really pleasantly surprised.

Mind you, Alabasta was a million years ago for me, but other than a country being owned by a Shichibukai, having a princess and a marine actually siding with Luffy, it's not that similar, is it? Admittedly it's that but on a bigger scale.

Only because a manga is running for so long doesn't mean it's the best. One Piece has one of the best world buildings in all of manga, nobody denies that. Yet you already outlined one of the stories biggest problems: It has become repetitive, especially post-skip.

The formula for literally all OP arcs is the same: Sail to a new island, meet the nice guys (most of the times a lady), hear about their problems and the bad guys, flashback about the tragic past, defeat the bad guys, have a banquet, repeat.

Make no mistake, OP is still good and a fun read. I just can't put it anywhere near some of the mentioned mangas (HxH, Jojo, Berserk, Kingdom) when it comes to storywriting.
Yes but when you meet nice guys, island, their issues, bad guys, you need ideas. Yes most of their past are sad so cliché but still you need to give ideas.

OK let's compare to those mangas :

- Jojo : one tome has 4 or 5 chapters when OP has 10, the double. Jojo has 941 chapters i think (at least the last one i read) so just divide by 2, it means 60 tomes for jojo. Plus it's monthly release. And also, it follows lots of new characters and sometimes you have the old characters who are coming. Yes the manga is well drawn, good stories but i can't compare to OP.
First, the worldwide success of One Piece when Jojo is way behind. The pressure Oda has is not comparable to Araki.

Yes the lenght of the manga doesn't mean it's the best, but 24 years at the top, it's like day and night.
How could I compare one who has only one week to draw and need to give his ideas so he can't deepen his story to one who has a full month to think just for one chapter and draw the same amount of page that Oda is doing in one week ? Come on, it's like me who have 1 month for a project and you 1 week to do it and i take all the credits. And that's for 24 years at the top ...
And the main thing about Jojo, it follow new characters from another timelines. So the author has a complete new story with new characters everytime because he can't add anything more to the oldest when he finished their stories. While Oda is still carrying the same characters, he doesn't have that freedom.
If you watched Bakuman, you undestand very well that weekly mangaka needs to give their best if not they are kicked out.

- Berserk same, monthly. Less tomes and chapters and it follows mainly Guts. I love berserk but there is a reason why it's really underrated and not popular because first, not everyone like berserk's story, and second it's dark fantasy and a seinen. When One Piece covers lots of people, it's shonen. When you have more popularity, you need to follow the rules, can't really do what you want. Berserk too was really boring at many moments. But the author or Berserk has time, doesn't have too much pressure, follows only one character who is a calm, mature, serious. He doesn't even need to care about Guts because Guts grew up with his battle and experiences when the Straw Hats still need to grow up.

- HxH, this one is very good but again the manga is more famous because the author takes so many breaks : many!! If not, the manga since 2004 has released 10 or 12 chapters in 1 year when Oda was releasing 50 chapters per year but only due to health issue, he takes 1 week in 1 month. You know why Togashi took so many breaks ? Because he couldn't follow the rythm of weekly release and had a burnout.
That's what i am trying to explain to you. Being at the top for so many years with a rythm of mammooth, how could we compare to others mangas ?

- Kingdom has 58 volumes and a good amount of chapters. Weekly release so we can compare One Piece with this one.
The difference between them are One Piece is 10 years older than Kingdom so we have an extension of weekly release for One Piece for 10 more years. We don't know if the author of Kingdom could do that, maybe or maybe not. He works with less pressure than Oda which was directly put in the first ranks. The manga Kingdom was edited just a few years ago by western editors, why so late ? because it's less popular and interesting than One Piece. Good story yes but why it lacks in sales, popularity or notoriety ? because One Piece is more connected and loved by readers because the manga is better. That's a fact.
Even the pages, the latest chapter of Kingdom has 6 or 7 pages where most of them are empty beside the characters, and the backgrounds are mostly white. When for One Piece, the amount of details in every pages are astonishing.
One Piece is completely different, millions people follow that. We could say popularity doesn't mean = better manga. But the fact One Piece is leading all others manga for this amount of time and sales that the history of manga has never seen, it's revealing how One Piece is above Kingdom.

Conclusion as I said : One Piece is not the best manga but no manga/mangaka is better than One Piece and Oda.
The perfect manga doesn't exist but if we remove the flaws and some boring moment of OP, it could be the best.

Last edited:
Yes but when you meet nice guys, island, their issues, bad guys, you need ideas. Yes most of their past are sad so cliché but still you need to give ideas.

OK let's compare to those mangas :

- Jojo : one tome has 4 or 5 chapters when OP has 10, the double. Jojo has 941 chapters i think (at least the last one i read) so just divide by 2, it means 60 tomes for jojo. Plus it's monthly release. And also, it follows lots of new characters and sometimes you have the old characters who are coming. Yes the manga is well drawn, good stories but i can't compare to OP.
First, the worldwide success of One Piece when Jojo is way behind. The pressure Oda has is not comparable to Araki.

Yes the lenght of the manga doesn't mean it's the best, but 24 years at the top, it's like day and night.
How could I compare one who has only one week to draw and need to give his ideas so he can't deepen his story to one who has a full month to think just for one chapter and draw the same amount of page that Oda is doing in one week ? Come on, it's like me who have 1 month for a project and you 1 week to do it and i take all the credits. And that's for 24 years at the top ...
And the main thing about Jojo, it follow new characters from another timelines. So the author has a complete new story with new characters everytime because he can't add anything more to the oldest when he finished their stories. While Oda is still carrying the same characters, he doesn't have that freedom.
If you watched Bakuman, you undestand very well that weekly mangaka needs to give their best if not they are kicked out.

- Berserk same, monthly. Less tomes and chapters and it follows mainly Guts. I love berserk but there is a reason why it's really underrated and not popular because first, not everyone like berserk's story, and second it's dark fantasy and a seinen. When One Piece covers lots of people, it's shonen. When you have more popularity, you need to follow the rules, can't really do what you want. Berserk too was really boring at many moments. But the author or Berserk has time, doesn't have too much pressure, follows only one character who is a calm, mature, serious. He doesn't even need to care about Guts because Guts grew up with his battle and experiences when the Straw Hats still need to grow up.

- HxH, this one is very good but again the manga is more famous because the author takes so many breaks : many!! If not, the manga since 2004 has releasing 10 or 12 chapters in 1 year when Oda was releasing 50 chapters per year but only due to health issue, he takes 1 week in 1 month. You know why Togashi took so many breaks ? Because he couldn't follow the rythm of weekly release and had a burnout.
That's what i am trying to explain to you. Being at the top for so many years with a rythm of mammooth, how could we compare to others mangas ?

- Kingdom has 58 volumes and a good amount of chapters. Weekly release so we can compare One Piece with this one.
The difference between them are One Piece is 10 years older than Kingdom so we have an extension of weekly release for One Piece for 10 more years. We don't know if the author of Kingdom could do that, maybe or maybe not. He works with less pressure than Oda which was directly put in the first ranks. The manga Kingdom was edited just a few years ago by western editors, why so late ? because it's less popular and interesting than One Piece. Good story yes but why it lacks in sales, popularity or notoriety ? because One Piece is more connected and loved by readers because the manga is better. That's a fact.
Even the pages, the latest chapter of Kingdom has 6 or 7 pages where most of them are empty beside the characters, and the backgrounds are mostly white. When for One Piece, the amount of details in every pages are astonishing.
One Piece is completely different, millions people follow that. We could say popularity doesn't mean = better manga. But the fact One Piece is leading all others manga for this amount of time and sales that the history of manga has never seen, it's revealing how One Piece is above Kingdom.

Conclusion as I said : One Piece is not the best manga but no manga/mangaka is better than One Piece and Oda.
The perfect manga doesn't exist but if we remove the flaws and some boring moment of OP, it could be the best.
We're moving in a circle here.

Trust me, Aknolagon, I fully understand your points and I respect them.

It's fair to see OP as the best manga, because it's released weekly since 1999 and the quality is always good. Nothing wrong with that opinion.

I simply have other standards I judge a manga on. I for one just doesn't judge, if it is released weekly or monthly. Couldn't care less about that. I only look at the overall work we actually have and then try to rate storywriting, character development, themes, inner manga logic etc.

The only thing I really disagree with is the popularity argument. There are so many movies or books that are straight bs from a story standpoint and still are insanely popular for whatever reason. OP certainly isn't one of them, but you can't just judge by overall popularity/sales numbers.

Not in this genre or target audience with the exception of Hunter x Hunter being very close competition.
But for more mature audiences there's a few and it's not even subjective. There are Manga with literally perfect storytelling, much better art etc. all rolled into one.

Kingdom is near perfect - it is almost a masterpiece with the exception of one asspull the writer pulled during the siege of Sai.

Then there's two definitive masterpieces:
Vagabond
Berserk

Other than hiatus, there are no flaws in these manga at all. Yet we can definitely point out a few in One Piece e.g. inconsistent art, plot armour, things happen "because plot" rather than plot happens "because things" etc.

I also consider One Punch Man to be perfect for its genre. There is also Monster with arguably the best character writing in the entire medium and lastly there is the Bastard webtoon which is a masterpiece for the thriller genre (yes, better than Death Note) .

I also hold Vinland Saga in slightly higher regard than One Piece now - Gosu is a beautiful manhwa too so, worth mentioning.

Imo:

1. Vagabond
2. Berserk
3. Kingdom
4. One Punch Man
5. Vinland Saga
6. One Piece
7. Hunter x Hunter
8. Gosu (The Master)
9. Tower of God
10. Monster
Other than Vinland Saga being on the list, this is kinda good list for me. Also Gosu and ToG should be higher in my opinion. wdyt?

I'm watching this and Kingdom atm and I'm definitely favouring Kingdom more but we'll see. Though I gotta ask, I'm only on like season 1 episode 9 but is every fight gonna be Shin magically getting stronger as the fight goes on to end up winning lmao
I love Kingdom and all but the Kingdom anime is a contender for the most God awful, completely unwatchable anime adaptation ever made. I would not touch that shite with a 77 foot pole.

The manga is a 10/10 masterpiece, the anime is a complete shit show.

Shin does not get magically stronger in the manga either. His victories are well earned.

It all depends on your own individual tastes.

For instance, I noticed that women would prefer One Piece over Dragon Ball :wonderland:
They are obviously not as fond of hardcore battles and prefer things like adventure, romance, and friendship.

For me, I would put Slam Dunk slightly above because It encompasses the qualities of DB and Op with incredible action, friendship, growth , humor, and teamwork.

Kaede Rukawa is :amazing:

I'm a seinen meathead so Naoki Urasawa's works are above One Piece in story for me.

It all depends on your own individual tastes.

For instance, I noticed that women would prefer One Piece over Dragon Ball :wonderland:
They are obviously not as fond of hardcore battles and prefer things like adventure, romance, and friendship.

For me, I would put Slam Dunk slightly above because It encompasses the qualities of DB and Op with incredible action, friendship, growth , humor, and teamwork.

Kaede Rukawa is :amazing:

Slam dunk is the best sports manga ever. Inoue's other work, Real, is up there as well.

In the Shounen genre? Not a chance. Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, Samurai X, Slam Dunk, and My Hero Academia had the potential to rival One Piece, but we all know what went wrong with the first 3 titles, while the last 4 are great yet I see no reason to rank any of them above One Piece.

HxH is a weird case, though. I think the manga is inferior to One Piece, but the anime is obviously above One Piece (thanks to TOEI and their shitty treatment of OP). Sigh, if only OP were a seasonal anime.

I rank only 3 Mangas above One Piece, and interestingly, they are all, I believe, the best Seinen genre has to offer. Namely: Fullmetal Alchemist, Monster, and Ichi the Killer.

I have never read or watched JoJo, Kingdom, and Berserk, so I cannot comment on whether they are above One Piece.

I used to think MPD Psycho was above One Piece, too, but as time went by, One Piece overtook MPDP. Naturally, this means depending on how Wano and the final arcs of OP play out, there's always a chance I consider OP to be the best Manga ever in any genre.

HxH is a weird case, though. I think the manga is inferior to One Piece, but the anime is obviously above One Piece (thanks to TOEI and their shitty treatment of OP). Sigh, if only OP were a seasonal anime.
I've recently aquired all the HxH volumes. Interestingly enough the artwork is really good in them. Vastly superior to the chapters you find online (posted when they came out in Shonen Jump). I was surprised too, but they seemingly did a lot of remastering in the volumes.

In terms of storytelling HxH is superior to OP, that isn't even a matter of taste imho.

You simply don't find that insane amount of plot conveniences OP recently had in HxH. Not even close.

One Piece has one of the best world buildings out of all mangas though. Here is where Oda excels.

I've recently aquired all the HxH volumes. Interestingly enough the artwork is really good in them. Vastly superior to the chapters you find online (posted when they came out in Shonen Jump). I was surprised too, but they seemingly did a lot of remastering in the volumes.

In terms of storytelling HxH is superior to OP, that isn't even a matter of taste imho.

You simply don't find that insane amount of plot conveniences OP recently had in HxH. Not even close.

One Piece has one of the best world buildings out of all mangas though. Here is where Oda excels.
I don't know if I prefer HxH's storytelling to OP's, but I'll concede that HxH's character development > OP's. Especially Meruem & Komugi's character arc, which may well be unrivaled in the Shonen genre as a whole, imo. It would take Seinen's best offers to equal something like that (and right now I cannot really think of anything off the top of my head, lol). Even in popular culture, the only modern character arc I could think of that would give it a run for its money is probably only Tony Stark's character arc in the MCU.

Also, a comment on Youtube claimed their character arc is perhaps the best love story in the Shounen genre and it's pretty difficult to argue with that claim, tbh.

I don't know if I prefer HxH's storytelling to OP's, but I'll concede that HxH's character development > OP's. Especially Meruem & Komugi's character arc, which may well be unrivaled in the Shonen genre as a whole, imo. It would take Seinen's best offers to equal something like that (and right now I cannot really think of anything off the top of my head, lol). Even in popular culture, the only modern character arc I could think of that would give it a run for its money is probably only Tony Stark's character arc in the MCU.

Also, a comment on Youtube claimed their character arc is perhaps the best love story in the Shounen genre and it's pretty difficult to argue with that claim, tbh.
Meruem surviving the way he did was pretty trash, but for that Komugi/Meruem scene, it was absolutely worth it.

F

Fallen Prince

Let's not forget about One Punch Man shall we?:kayneshrug:
Its boring , its all fight and no plot. Beginning chapters were cool then it fell off cliff.
Post automatically merged:

I watched/read all of them except Vagabond lol. A lot of people said that Vagabond is very good lol. Is it worth it?
Its based on real life samurai , i would recommend .
Post automatically merged:

Oda is good storywriter but at times i feel villains jn op are tad boring.

I love Kingdom and all but the Kingdom anime is a contender for the most God awful, completely unwatchable anime adaptation ever made. I would not touch that shite with a 77 foot pole.

The manga is a 10/10 masterpiece, the anime is a complete shit show.

Shin does not get magically stronger in the manga either. His victories are well earned.
I'm on season 3 of the anime which only has about 4 eps atm and honestly I've found it to be really enjoyable lol; the art in season 1 was dead but season 2 was better and my goodness, season 3 absolutely stunning - I literally couldn't even recognise certain characters. The animation in season 3 is also ridiculous and they haven't even gotten into any real fights yet

I'm pretty lazy atm so I'mma just watch the anime but I think Kingdom's been excellent so far. And yeah there was a period of time at the start of season 1 where Xin was beating everyone and I was getting put off, but once the powerscale was established his wins have indeed been well earned