Character Discussion Is Yamato a male or female?

Is Yamato a male or female?

• Total voters
She has split personality disorder..
She had abusive past (abusive father who tried to kill all her life was locked up with explosive) and then she read journel left by a warrior , now she pretend being him and ideolize him..
She never denied being girl at same time she claim being Oden . And since Oden was man she called herself man too..
Its completly diffrent than being trans..anyone here called themeselve Lgbt supporter yet call Yamato Trans then they should ashamed off not knowing what trans means .
Trans is Kiku who admitted being having heart of women , and Viver card also mention it...if you compare Kiku and Yamto past and Oda was pretty straight forward with Kiku being trans...but thats not the case with Yamato..
If u dont wana read articals or book...watch movies their r lots about movies related to split personality disorder

B

Ballel

She has split personality disorder..
She had abusive past (abusive father who tried to kill all her life was locked up with explosive) and then she read journel left by a warrior , now she pretend being him and ideolize him..
She never denied being girl at same time she claim being Oden . And since Oden was man she called herself man too..
Its completly diffrent than being trans..anyone here called themeselve Lgbt supporter yet call Yamato Trans then they should ashamed off not knowing what trans means .
Trans is Kiku who admitted being having heart of women , and Viver card also mention it...if you compare Kiku and Yamto past and Oda was pretty straight forward with Kiku being trans...but thats not the case with Yamato..
If u dont wana read articals or book...watch movies their r lots about movies related to split personality disorder
💯/10 post

According to some people here you can magicaly change your gender.
Can you also magicaly change your race (skin colour)? Can you magicaly change your age? Can you identify as a bird?
I guess most people here would say no, but why not? What is the difference here?
Trans people don't "magically change" anything as their condition isn't something they just decide on a whim. This is quite a fascinating approach to me because apparently some people believe trans choose a "lifestyle" that will significantly decrease their quality of life in pretty much every aspect. I can assure you that if they could choose most if not all trans people would rather not to be trans.

"Race" (not even a scientific concept that can be applied to humans) depends on phenotypic traits. Age is a manmade concept that relies on whatever system each culture has to measure time plus some relatively vague developmental milestones (hence why some people's brains don't fully develop until the mid twenties); in fact, you will find richer approaches that define adulthood not only in terms of physical development but also according to social, economic, legal... standards. And "bird" is a whole class that obviously can't turn into a mammal just because, starting by the fact that there's no "bird identity" nor "mammal identity" as they're just taxons based on indisputable traits that aren't shared (e.g. no bird will ever have mammary glands and they are required to be put in the mammal category).

What's the difference, you ask? Well, I don't know, let's give it a thought: what defines a man and a woman? Chromosomes? Hormones? Brain areas that have been linked to gender identity like the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis? Gender roles? Genitalia? I mean, you obviously don't make a distinction between "gender" and "sex", and since you're speaking with such authority here I assume you've dedicated your life to study an issue that not even now is clear for the experts on the field. So let's start by establishing which of these factors is The Factor, the one that indisputably defines your manhood/womanhood and why it holds more weight than any other discrepant variable that may elicit a person identifying as trans.

Last edited:
B

Ballel

Not at all, dissociative identity disorder isn't something like what Yamato does. The fact that he pretty much states "I'm Oden but I also go by Yamato" is alien to how this disorder works, plus tons of other symptoms for its diagnosis that Yamato is lacking.
Yes it's not dissociative identity disorder/split personality but rather dissociative disorder/depersonalization.
It's similar yet different. But still closer to the truth than Yamato being trans.

And uhm, it's not necessarily alien to how it works. There are degrees to this. There are people who, while one of their personalities/alters is in charge, the other personalities are aware of this.

Not at all, dissociative identity disorder isn't something like what Yamato does. The fact that he pretty much states "I'm Oden but I also go by Yamato" is alien to how this disorder works, plus tons of other symptoms for its diagnosis that Yamato is lacking.
She's one thing: A character with a quirk that Oda solely uses for gags.

Problem is that the western world (especially most activists) don't understand that Japanese people have a completely different relationship with this whole gender topic: They are way less serious about it.

That's why Oda also once again uses her Oden shtick to create a comedy moment with her boobs, Sanji's nosebleeding, Brook blushing and Momo getting his first boner this chapter.

Oda would never do that if it was a serious or even important topic for him, bc he's the last one that wants to offend someone.

His treatment of Kiku shows how he treats characters that should really represent the LGTBQ community and it's night and day compared to a gag character (in that regard) like Yamato.

B

Ballel

Trans people don't "magically change" anything as their condition isn't something they just decide on a whim. This is quite a fascinating approach to me because apparently some people believe trans choose a "lifestyle" that will significantly decrease their quality of life in pretty much every aspect. I can assure you that if they could choose most if not all trans people would rather not to be trans.
This!!!
If only it were so easy.:kobeha: How many people do you think would rather want to be cis gender and straight so they can be "normal".

Being trans or gay or lesbian or whatever is NOT a choice. It's how the person IS, not what they want to be.

This Chapter Make Me Like Yamato Even More. Yamabro looked so fine in chapter, him and kiku are now my special fav character. Also Love Luffy for being such a great captain I feel bad for hating him now.

B

Ballel

Problem is that the western world (especially most activists) don't understand that Japanese people have a completely different relationship with this whole gender topic
This is an actual problem and I find it kinda amusing.
People who claim to be open minded and inclusive and outwardly support equal rights for everyone in reality being extremely culturally insensitive and unknowledgeable but instead of trying to improve they are so damn entitled and self righteous that's it's painful to look at.

@Charlotte Horchata
What approach did i had towards you? I didn’t even quote you lol

Nobody is talking about ''lifestyle's'' here or whatever. With ''magicaly'' changeing your gender i refer to people here saying, that Kiku for example is a Woman, because he is a woman at heart. He was born a man, what he thinks or feels he is in his heart doesn't magicaly change his gender. He is a man.

"Race" (not even a scientific concept that can be applied to humans) depends on phenotypic traits.
That doesn't answer my question...
Why can't i identify as Black? (I am white btw)

And "bird" is a whole class that obviously can't turn into a mammal just because, starting by the fact that there's no "bird identity" nor "mammal identity" as they're just taxons based on indisputable traits that aren't shared (e.g. no bird will ever have mammary glands and they are required to be put in the mammal category).
I am a Bird at heart, why can't i be a bird?

What's the difference, you ask? Well, I don't know, let's give it a thought: what defines a man and a woman? Chromosomes? Hormones? Brain areas that have been linked to gender identity like the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis? Gender roles? Genitalia? I mean, you obviously don't make a distinction between "gender" and "sex", and since you're speaking with such authority here I assume you've dedicated your life to study an issue that not even now is clear for the experts on the field. So let's start by establishing which of these factors is The Factor, the one that indisputably defines your manhood/womanhood and why it holds more weight than any other discrepant variable that may elicit a person identifying as trans.
You seem to be an expert, so may i ask a question.
What makes a man - that identifies as a woman - a woman? Since it has nothing to do with biology, genitals etc. but is a mental thing. What defines mentaly a woman then? If it is enough to be ''a woman/man at heart'' to change your gender, then there must be some clear definitions, right? Or is it just because the person doesn't feel happy in their body and wish they were in a different body? Which there are many of those cases. But i don't know.