Powers & Abilities Luffy's Awakening

I can assure you, there's no mistake.

I wrote about Awakening in 2016 with the exact principles I'm talking about.

I predicted Awakenings effect and it's been consistent.

For example. I said if an ability can control something within a 10 mile radius, Awakening might increase that to 50 mile radius.

And what happened? We saw Gild Tesoro whose ability is controlling gold and all that happened from Awakening was an increased range. Nothing new happened.

In fact, even Stampede's Awakening is consistent with what I said. His ability was to control a substance within a specific range and that range simply increased from Awakening.

Far too much consistency for a theory written long ago.

Theories are proven when they can predict things and my theory has.

If your ability is benching and it's 300 lbs, if you Awakening, that might shoot up to 600 lbs. That really all Awakening is.

This is not really relevant. Problem is people are far too infatuated with this idea.

The purpose of their Awakening is not to animate things.

The purpose of their Awakening is simply to increase the source of what they can produce and manipulate.

Awakening is not to change an ability, it's just increase what it already does.

In fact, I wrote it in 2015: It's still proven to be correct and consistent with all known Awakenings - https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/ability-affinity-with-armament-haki-awakening.3000510/

Luffy's ability is vastly different to Katakuri:
Luffy's ability isn't producing, so it WONT function like Katakuri's which produces things to manipulate/Joker's ability is also to produce things to manipulate. Since Luffy's ability doesn't produce anything to manipulate, it will only affect his body.
Yeah, I get where you are coming from. But you're still making the same mistake imo.
It's not about the purpose of awakening. It's about what awakening actually does or rather what happens if your fruit awakens and how it functions.
And the way things are, awakening unlocks a new ability. Is that ability still linked to the df's basic abilities in essence, in the sense of having the same "theme", like strings production or mochi production or remaining a rubber related body altering ability? Yes, of course. This still does not change the fact that it's a new ability/skill whatever you wanna call it.
The "how" makes the difference.
You make it sound like the fact that they suddenly become able to transform the environment into their substances is the natural progression of their base abilities, as the logical consequence of awakening="increase", bluntly said. Like it's a linear progression. Good->better, less->more.
W/o prior knowledge about their actual awakening and your way of thinking tho, you'd have to assume that they become able to produce larger quanities (which they do canonly), but that they would do so, the same way they did it when their fruits were still non awakened, simply by casting it out from their bodies, just "better" or rather in more greater quantities.
Where does that "transform and manipulate their environment" ability fits into this? The "how". Which is again, a totally new ability on it's own.
It doesn't. And that's where your approach imo fails.
Is it good enough to predict things like Tesoro's awakening or the awakening of let's say the Mera Mera no mi? Yep, probably. And it's prolly more reasonable than some" blue flames up to plasma" thing for example. But those are "relatively easier" to predict anyway.
It imo reaches its limit tho when it's about much more difficult calls.

It's not enough to say that Luffy will be able to do x and y, when he awakens. It's also about predicting the mechanism with which he will be able to do so. You've got to explain how he's able to do those things you think he will be able to do, if you are proposing a theory.
And at best it has to be visualizable, aswell as the trigger that finally leads to his awakening, has to be visualizable. It's a manga, a visual medium with pictures, afterall. We as the readers have to known what's going on. Like I said before, this aspect often gets completely ignored.

Awakening seems to be an ability concept which can be recognized as such when it's used, most likely also for Zoans aswell (Zoan spoiler tag). Similiar to how Doffy's "...-white" attacks can be idenfitied as awakening attacks and therefore can be differentiated from his otherwise "base ability"-moveset.
So in Luffy's case, something like an awakened super far reaching arm stretch is no solid concept tbh. Same for those potentially bigger G3 moves. G3 sizes already differ a lot in the manga. Everything would have to be communicated via prefixes, which would be the only reliable way to signalize, when an attack of higher magnitude is used. Which is imo again also not really the best concept for a visual medium.

In Luffy's case it will obviously be linked to his rubber ability in essence and it will remain a body altering ability. I btw never said he would become a producer type, in the sense that he casts rubber from out his body or that he starts to transform the environment into rubber. It would change his whole fighting style and doesn't make one bit of sense for me aswell.

And for that talk about your credibility. Thing is, I'm also very rarely wrong with my thoughts and I'm in general pretty good at analysing things. So this doesn't impress me much, absolutely no offense meant, mate. I respect you as a good poster nonetheless.

Last edited:
What is written below works as Luffy's Awakening. Especially since Luffy became his devil fruit. a literal Rubber man. His Devil fruit is on 24/7 permanently with no way of deactivating it. Found what someone online posted about Luffy's Awakening would be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Hanson Hsu Quora User

I really don’t think Luffy would turn his surroundings into rubber. We’ve only seen people manipulate surroundings who are able to emit their DF power. Doffy can make string while Katakuri can manifest mochi. The admirals create elements. Luffy just has rubber traits.

Luffy’s awakening would be an absolute maximization of all the traits of rubber. Enhanced elasticity, resilience, insulation (Red Hawk on steroids, anyone?), high tensile strength and abrasion resistance, stickiness or bonding to various items, vibration and blunt force dampening, enhanced hardness to even higher levels when imbued with haki, etc.

Naturally, his combat abilities would become insane. Luffy would become faster, immune to sonic attacks, resistant to heat, stronger, and practically impervious to most forms of damage. He would be able to hit harder than ever and he would eliminate his gear drawbacks and enhance his stamina with the naturally rebounding properties of rubber instead of having to waste energy moving his muscles. He might even start to resist cutting attacks, despite those being a weakness before awakening, as there are rubbers that are pretty resistant to cutting in our world.

Imagine gears 2, 3, and 4 all rolled into one with no drawbacks and better in all ways BEFORE Luffy even uses his haki. Maybe he can manifest Red Hawk’s flames over his entire body for an entire fight, too. To master his awakening, Luffy would need to master the control over these insane new powers. The awakening will be powerful but it will be Luffy’s lack of experience with it that demands work.

My theory is different kinds of powers have different awakenings. Zoans get buff, fruits that allow users to create something will allow them to turn their surroundings into that something, and fruits that only work on the user themselves will become more powerful and versatile by giving the user added traits. In a way, zoans are fruits that give the user special added traits, so the way zoan awakenings work would be consistent with how fruits such as the Gomu Gomu and Bara Bara might work when awakened. Focusing the power inward rather than outward.

Examples:

X has a fruit that gives his body the properties of rock. Awakening builds on that power by amplifying those rock powers and traits instead of turning things into rock. X becomes harder, heavier, more abrasive, more durable, more resistant to heat and pressure, etc. The Stone fruit is a “characteristics” fruit.

Y has a fruit that allows him to create and control paper. His awakening would enable turning the surroundings or even other people into paper. The Paper fruit is an “emission” fruit.

Z has a zoan that allows him to turn into a gorilla. Awakening builds on that power by amplifying his strength and speed even more and making him able to go berserk like an enraged gorilla. This is similar to how X’s rock fruit works. The Gorilla is a zoan, which is most similar to a “characteristics” fruit. The Gorilla fruit doesn’t enable Z to turn his surroundings into gorillas.

There are also those weird fruits that don’t emit things or give the user traits, such as the Art Art Fruit and Pudding’s fruit, so I don’t have any working theories about those.

https://www.quora.com/What-will-Luffys-awakening-be

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luffy’s awakening would be an absolute maximization of all the traits of rubber. Enhanced elasticity, resilience, insulation (Red Hawk on steroids, anyone?), high tensile strength and abrasion resistance, stickiness or bonding to various items, vibration and blunt force dampening, enhanced hardness to even higher levels when imbued with haki, etc.

Naturally, his combat abilities would become insane. Luffy would become faster, immune to sonic attacks, resistant to heat, stronger, and practically impervious to most forms of damage. He would be able to hit harder than ever and he would eliminate his gear drawbacks and enhance his stamina with the naturally rebounding properties of rubber instead of having to waste energy moving his muscles. He might even start to resist cutting attacks, despite those being a weakness before awakening, as there are rubbers that are pretty resistant to cutting in our world.

Imagine gears 2, 3, and 4 all rolled into one with no drawbacks and better in all ways BEFORE Luffy even uses his haki. Maybe he can manifest Red Hawk’s flames over his entire body for an entire fight, too. To master his awakening, Luffy would need to master the control over these insane new powers. The awakening will be powerful but it will be Luffy’s lack of experience with it that demands work.
These power up can be explained by luffy getting better with his DF power.

And the way things are, awakening unlocks a new ability.
Nope.

Go read Tesoro and Bullet's Awakening.

There was no new ability.

Only thing that happened was they had increased range of effect.

In fact, if you were correct, the Tesoro would be able to turn his surroundings to gold, but he can't, he can only control more gold and the same thing is with Bullet.

Logic is pretty simple.

Joker produces strings to do what? To Control.

Common logic, 2 strings are better than 1 string.

1 million strings is better than 100,000 strings.

What is the purpose of turning buildings into strings? For More Strings to Control. Buildings turning into strings is irrelevant because the purpose is simple to have more things to manipulate.

If buildings just turn into strings, what exactly does that do? Nothing, it only has a purpose if it can be manipulated and that's basically what's happening with both Katakuri and Joker. Just more of what they produce to manipulate.

Luffy is not the same. His ability is simply stretch. Not production.

My theory is different kinds of powers have different awakenings. Zoans get buff, fruits that allow users to create something will allow them to turn their surroundings into that something
Incorrect.

Zoans in Impel Down didn't turn their surroundings into anything.

Read what Crocodile said about them. He said:

He said they have recovery and toughness amplified.

What do Zoan abilities naturally do? They increase recovery and toughness and strength.

What did Awaken do? Simply amplified what they already had.

Awakening is simple, there's nothing to it.

If you know how an ability works fundamentally, you can predict how any character will Awaken.

More so, there are likely 100s and 100s of Awakened character. Look at Marco for example, does he affect surroundings? No, his Awakening is probably just enhanced recovery, strength, etc.

Jozu is Diamond, Diamond is hard. Awakening is probably harder than he was before he Awakened. Did we see Jozu turn his surroundings into Diamond? No, he's likely awakened.

The most powerful characters with DFs are likely all awakened already.

Nope.

Go read Tesoro and Bullet's Awakening.

There was no new ability.

Only thing that happened was they had increased range of effect.

In fact, if you were correct, the Tesoro would be able to turn his surroundings to gold, but he can't, he can only control more gold and the same thing is with Bullet.

Logic is pretty simple.

Joker produces strings to do what? To Control.

Common logic, 2 strings are better than 1 string.

1 million strings is better than 100,000 strings.

What is the purpose of turning buildings into strings? For More Strings to Control. Buildings turning into strings is irrelevant because the purpose is simple to have more things to manipulate.

If buildings just turn into strings, what exactly does that do? Nothing, it only has a purpose if it can be manipulated and that's basically what's happening with both Katakuri and Joker. Just more of what they produce to manipulate.

Luffy is not the same. His ability is simply stretch. Not production.
Tesoro couldn't produce gold. He could only control it, that's why his awakening differs from Doffy's fundamentaly.
And you're actually wrong with those movie examples aswell.
Tesoro was only able to control the Gold that he touched. After awakening he could control any gold within his awakening range, no need to touch it anymore.
Bullet could only assemble metallic objects within his base ability. With awakening he could assemble every random non living object for his island sized masterpiece.
Why do you ignore that their ability fundamentally changes?

Again the "how" does matter.
Going by your theory, Tesoro's next logical step would be, that he becomes able to control more gold that he touched, than he was orgininally able to control. Like instead of x amount, he can now control y(>>x) amount, but he still would have to touch it.
Same way Bullet would still be limited to metallic objects only.
Again you wouldn't be able to predict the extra quirk their awakenings get, with your approach.

It's again not about the "purpose". I get that. This is no rocketscience. I'm even talking about meta thoughts like visualization that needs to fit and such, I'm prolly one of the last guys that needs to be taught about the basics.
It's simply no "counter" to my argument. And the reason why, is that there is no actual counter to that argument. It's evident that they unlock a new ability to achieve those results. You just like to ignore it for some reason.
Your theory is too imprecise. W/o any for me comprehensible reason it limits the potential of df awakenings.

And for Luffy. His whole body is altered into rubber already. If the rubber devil inside of him awakenes, why shouldn't he be able to produce additional rubber body mass, if guys randomly transform whole cities into mochi and strings?
His rubber is solid, so it would still be attached to his body. He wouldn't shoot/cast it around.
He basically would just be able to do what Kuri does within his "own G3 concept", just pumping up his body. This way he would get rid of the need of blowing air into his muscles/bones. Which would then lead to instantaneous usages of G3 and instantaneous partial G4.
If he learns to compress his rubber via full control over his elasticity beforehand, he could also compress those, in order to create one incredibly durable and powerful rubber body, that can freely use all of his gears however he wants.

He's basically going to become more like Katakuri, Plastic Man(DC Comics), and Kid Buu(DBZ).

In addition to changing the environment we should be getting Giant/Titan Luffy when he Awakens this Arc.

I think awakening will be like the other 2 paramecia awakenings we've seen so far:

The ability to manipulate the users surroundings with their power. Basically everything around Luffy would turn into rubber and he could manipulate it that way.

Think about it, Doflamingo and Katakuri had the exact same type of awakening. Chances are Luffy would too.

It would change his whole fighting style and doesn't make one bit of sense for me aswell.
I agree with most of what you said except for this is it more intersting see what oda can do with a abilty that lets luffy control the surrounding area and for making sence, we talking about a magical fruit that gives charaters crazy powers there is nothing stopping oda giving luffy any kind of awakening.

Tesoro couldn't produce gold. He could only control it, that's why his awakening differs from Doffy's fundamentaly.
And you're actually wrong with those movie examples aswell.
Tesoro was only able to control the Gold that he touched. After awakening he could control any gold within his awakening range, no need to touch it anymore.
Bullet could only assemble metallic objects within his base ability. With awakening he could assemble every random non living object for his island sized masterpiece.
Why do you ignore that their ability fundamentally changes?

Again the "how" does matter.
Going by your theory, Tesoro's next logical step would be, that he becomes able to control more gold that he touched, than he was orgininally able to control. Like instead of x amount, he can now control y(>>x) amount, but he still would have to touch it.
Same way Bullet would still be limited to metallic objects only.
Again you wouldn't be able to predict the extra quirk their awakenings get, with your approach.

It's again not about the "purpose". I get that. This is no rocketscience. I'm even talking about meta thoughts like visualization that needs to fit and such, I'm prolly one of the last guys that needs to be taught about the basics.
It's simply no "counter" to my argument. And the reason why, is that there is no actual counter to that argument. It's evident that they unlock a new ability to achieve those results. You just like to ignore it for some reason.
Your theory is too imprecise. W/o any for me comprehensible reason it limits the potential of df awakenings.

And for Luffy. His whole body is altered into rubber already. If the rubber devil inside of him awakenes, why shouldn't he be able to produce additional rubber body mass, if guys randomly transform whole cities into mochi and strings?
His rubber is solid, so it would still be attached to his body. He wouldn't shoot/cast it around.
He basically would just be able to do what Kuri does within his "own G3 concept", just pumping up his body. This way he would get rid of the need of blowing air into his muscles/bones. Which would then lead to instantaneous usages of G3 and instantaneous partial G4.
If he learns to compress his rubber via full control over his elasticity beforehand, he could also compress those, in order to create one incredibly durable and powerful rubber body, that can freely use all of his gears however he wants.
Of course Tesoro's Awakening differs from Joker, that is just common sense. Of course his Awakening would be different.

That's exactly why it's absurd to claim Luffy's Awakening would be similar to Katakuri or Joker's when their abilities function fundamentally different.

Actually false.

This isn't mentioned anywhere. Only gold he's been in contact with.

Also, you're wrong about Tesoro. He can only control gold he'd been in contact with. The gold on his ship, he'd been in contact with before, thus why he could control it. All Awakening did was increase the range of his control.

You understand the theory incorrectly.

Bullet combines with objects around a certain range and Awakening simply allowed that distance to increase which is why he had a gigantic form in the end.

Luffy's ability is simply to stretch, therefore, it's only common sense (not rocket science) that his progression would simply be to stretch further.

Awakening doesn't add additional abilities, it simple amplifies what's already existing. Luffy will never produce Rubber. His ability and Katakuri's are different: Katakuri produces things to manipulate and Luffy doesn't, simple logic.

In fact, if you even read what Oda said about Awakening, he said it's rare when it affects things other than the user meaning not many people will have Awakenings like Joker and katakuri. Meaning most DF user's Awakening only affects their bodies.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
My prediction for Luffy's awakening is that he will be able to combine all gears - increased blood flow, increased bone size, increased muscle size. That is going to be very taxing on his body and will probably have a very short duration.