MLB Discussion Thread

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Glad Phillies lost. Can't buy your way to a championship.
Interesting take about a team that spent the real money four years before they got any good (remember that they won the pennant as the lowest possible seed and could have easily missed these playoffs entirely)…also, should a big market team NOT act like one? If the Rays and Guardians had the same amount of money as the Yankees, I promise they’d be spending like them too, they just lean into the sabermetrics so heavily because it’s the only option they have to realistically contend.

Last edited:
Interesting take about a team that spent the real money four years before they got any good (remember that they won the pennant as the lowest possible seed and could have easily missed these playoffs entirely)…also, should a big market team NOT act like one? If the Rays and Guardians had the same amount of money as the Yankees, I promise they’d be spending like them too, they just lean into the sabermetrics so heavily because it’s the only option they have to realistically contend.
Braves won last year with farm talent. Rays were in the world series two years ago with the lowest pay roll. Astros have been in the world series 4 times in the past 6 years with a bottom 10 payroll. I just hate teams that just try and buy their rings. That is totally unfair to the teams that actually develop and are able to scout. I think it is unfair all the hate Astros are getting for cheating since they still made it to the world series with a new manger staff and more than half their players missing from the cheating scandal. Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, and Padres can all kick rocks for trying to buy a ring.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Braves won last year with farm talent. Rays were in the world series two years ago with the lowest pay roll. Astros have been in the world series 4 times in the past 6 years with a bottom 10 payroll. I just hate teams that just try and buy their rings. That is totally unfair to the teams that actually develop and are able to scout. I think it is unfair all the hate Astros are getting for cheating since they still made it to the world series with a new manger staff and more than half their players missing from the cheating scandal. Phillies, Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, and Padres can all kick rocks for trying to buy a ring.
I didn’t say a pennant run is impossible on a shoestring budget, I said that every team would still choose to spend money trying to get there if they could, and that bears out every time we hear a smaller market team didn’t sign a high-priced free agent because of payroll constraints (PLEASE do not accuse me of defending owners because that is the last thing I want). I don’t hate the Astros and acknowledge that they are an extremely talented team even without the cheating, and I think a truly successful franchise is one that pays attention to advanced stats AND still opens their wallet for big names when possible, but the game has fully become a business and the teams that can throw money around like batting practice pitches will do that until the Sun burns out.

I didn’t say a pennant run is impossible on a shoestring budget, I said that every team would still choose to spend money trying to get there if they could, and that bears out every time we hear a smaller market team didn’t sign a high-priced free agent because of payroll constraints (PLEASE do not accuse me of defending owners because that is the last thing I want). I don’t hate the Astros and acknowledge that they are an extremely talented team even without the cheating, and I think a truly successful franchise is one that pays attention to advanced stats AND still opens their wallet for big names when possible, but the game has fully become a business and the teams that can throw money around like batting practice pitches will do that until the Sun burns out.
I agree with this but I still hate the Phillies lol.