Questions & Mysteries "My audience will not be satisfied if Luffy defeats Kaido just because his punch is so strong"-Eichirro Oda [Paraphrased]

Did Oda Let Himself Down?

• Total voters
Of course Luffy will not even defeat Kaido in my opinion. It shall be Luffy + Zoro + etc etc. Zoro claimed he shall behead him.

Second perhaps this eventually implies he will show off awakening since he is still meant to be involved into the fight regardless.
Every time you Zoro fanboys say something or overstep your headcannon gets destroyed by Oda. Every single tine, never fails.

Anyone watched Castlevania on netflix? I would be ecstatic if Oda used a similar ending to s2. Amazing fights but ultimately Dracula proved too strong but a moment of weakness and humanity saw his end.

A punch out would be boring but I hope he doesn't go full on moral victory, talk no jutsu. That would be bad.

I take it as the most obvious way where Oda simply means Luffy winning ALONE just because he got a stronger punch, which is already not the case when you remember that he got 4 supernovas by his side now + the 9 Scabbards who already fought before and then we still might get Sanji and Jinbe as the crew other big fighters, Marco, Yamato, X-Drake to add another Supernova and maybe Scabbards return injuried.
So far Oda is being consistent with this statement and it's taking 10+ people to face him and he is yet to take a serious major damage.
Oda literally has 4 other pretty strong SNs helping Luffy, so it won't be just be Luffy's punching that will earn the win.
Again, this is FALSE. Oda said he didn't know how yet. The Supernova going on Wano was set since pre-time skip. Luffy/Law/Kid was already set in stone at that point.

This clearly referring to the penetration Haki. Kid's words confirmed. I don't know why people keep bsing.

"Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaidou is just because Luffy's punch is so strong. Luffy and I have to find a solution somehow."

Don't you think you might be jumping the gun here a little bit? Yes, Luffy trained to make his punches harder, that is a fact. He trained by trying to unlock barrier haki, but as a byproduct of that he unlocked a form of Haki that allows for a person to destroy people/objects from the inside out. I'm sure if it was just going to be a matter of stronger punches, then internal destruction would not have been put on the table.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Gear Four Tigerman by the end of the fight, and the end results from a combination of claw attacks and internal destruction Haki (Lucci fight anyone?). There is also speculation out there of Oda finally bringing Conqueror's Haki legit into the fold, as this is truly a fight amongst conquerors.

However Oda chooses to go about it, I wouldn't be putting too much stock into thinking this fights going to end by some variant of Luffy's King Kong attack, or any other technique derived from a strong punch.

Don't you think you might be jumping the gun here a little bit? Yes, Luffy trained to make his punches harder, that is a fact. He trained by trying to unlock barrier haki, but as a byproduct of that he unlocked a form of Haki that allows for a person to destroy people/objects from the inside out. I'm sure if it was just going to be a matter of stronger punches, then internal destruction would not have been put on the table.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Gear Four Tigerman by the end of the fight, the end results from a combination of claw attacks and internal destruction Haki. There is also speculation out there of Oda finally bringing Conqueror's Haki legit into the fold, as this is truly a fight amongst conquerors.

However Oda chooses to go about it, I wouldn't be putting too much stock into thinking this fights going to end by some variant of Luffy's King Kong attack, or any other technique derived from a strong punch.
People don't understand basic English. Idk what the original Japanese was but "just because" means it's one of many factors, not that he "won't punch" Kaido. That is fucking stupid. That's Luffy's fighting style.

People don't understand basic English. Idk what the original Japanese was but "just because" means it's one of many factors, not that he "won't punch" Kaido. That is fucking stupid. That's Luffy's fighting style.
Yeah, obviously Luffy is going to be causing damage to Kaido throughout this fight, and punching and kicking are going to play a pivotal role in that, but it doesn't mean it's how Oda intends to end the fight.

Again, this is FALSE. Oda said he didn't know how yet. The Supernova going on Wano was set since pre-time skip. Luffy/Law/Kid was already set in stone at that point.

This clearly referring to the penetration Haki. Kid's words confirmed. I don't know why people keep bsing.

"Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaidou is just because Luffy's punch is so strong. Luffy and I have to find a solution somehow."
What are you even trying to say?
What I said is that Oda is being consistent since Kaido is still an absolute threat that takes an upgraded Luffy and 10+ other fighters instead of Luffy just skyrocketing to Yonkou level in a 1v1 so how is this false when it's exactly what we have been reading since the Scabbards had their fight and now with the Supernovas' turn.

And Kid foreshadowed following Law´s steps to underling status under Luffy.
No he isn’t. In fact in chapter 950 Luffy already asked Kidd to join him and he said no. He’s on Onigashima for his own personal goals, not to help the Kozuki revolution. Him and Luffy simply have a common enemy right now. Watch, after this arc Kidd will not be an ally to Luffy until the final war where they will once again share a common enemy. The world nobles who Kidd hates.

There has been one chapter of fighting:crazwhat:
Post automatically merged:

:milaugh:the battle started
Zoro is yet to outperform Killer
That's not a good sign.

Next chapter will be the same :
Killer and Zoro keep doing combo attacks
While kidd , law and Luffy do their solo attacks after one another

1003- 1004 they all lose.

Zoro should pray that he doesn't get to reopen the scar with Killer
What are you talking Zoro has outshone every one last chapter other than Luffy

Last edited:
Here is the actual quote:

Oda "When Kaidou appeared for the first time, I said that Luffy can't defeat such a strong character yet. And I'm yet to know how Luffy would defeat Kaidou. Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaidou is just because Luffy's punch is so strong. Luffy and I have to find a solution somehow."

Source 1

And Source 2

This needs to be talked about. Luffy's entire character-arc in Wano was just him powering up his punches. The only reason he's going to defeat Kaido, literally, is because he powered up his attacks to be able to injure Kaido. Metaphorically, Luffy is only defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger.

Which Oda explicitly said would be a disappointing way to write the Kaido fight.

Some might say "Oh well, Luffy isn't defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger, he's defeating Kaido because his Haki got stronger"

Which is a nonsense argument. You may as well say "Luffy isn't defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger, he's defeating Kaido because his kicks got stronger"

It completely misses the point of the criticism, that Luffy vs Kaido is not going to be different from any other fight that Luffy has had in the manga. Now Luffy has earned an invisible powerup which has turned Kaido into a generic "let me punch him as hard as I can over and over again until he gives up" fight which Luffy is notorious for.

When Oda first gave the above quote, it's hard not to imagine that he was trying to wrack his brain to make Luffy vs Kaido different and more memorable. But it looks like this fight is going to be the same as any other Luffy fight both artistically and narratively. Just Luffy spamming punch attacks over and over again until Kaido gives up.

I pitty those who actually thought Luffy learning advanced Haki was actually going to make the Kaido fight different from every other Luffy fight in some way, and that includes myself lol.

Did Oda let himself down here? Is this a disappointing way to carry out this fight?

@Light D Lamperouge @Owl Ki @Blackbeard @LuthonTheDragDown @Jiihad @Haoshoku @Van @Bogard @Cinera @ShishioIsBack @Jo_Ndule @Chrono etc etc etc
Imo, that means Kaido will be defeated through other means. Could be BM turning on him(which was foreshadowed), could be marine intervention, could be bb+ Luffy and co ofc.

I don't think Oda llet himself down. I think he has something planned.

Sorry mate, I disagree with you here.
I don't really have time to make an argument, and since others have said it before me, I'll just go tl;dr.

1. Internal destruction haki... It's not about hitting Kaido so stronk, or even having stronger haki... it's about utilizing haki in a different way to damage your opponent internally rather than using it conventionally to inflict superficial damage, which the latter couldn't do to Kaido.

Kaido's skin is as thick as pigshit, so the only way to damage him is internally. It makes sense. And it's already been asserted that Roger, WB, Shanks, Rox etc have used it, so it makes more sense.

2. It's Luffy's fighting style. Like, what do you expect the guy to do? Whip his dick out and start doinking Kaido's butthole until he suddenly explodes or something?

I don't really have time to make an argument, and since others have said it before me, I'll just go tl;dr.

1. Internal destruction haki... It's not about hitting Kaido so stronk, or even having stronger haki... it's about utilizing haki in a different way to damage your opponent internally rather than using it conventionally to inflict superficial damage, which the latter couldn't do to Kaido.

Kaido's skin is as thick as pigshit, so the only way to damage him is internally. It makes sense. And it's already been asserted that Roger, WB, Shanks, Rox etc have used it, so it makes more sense.

2. It's Luffy's fighting style. Like, what do you expect the guy to do? Whip his dick out and start doinking Kaido's butthole until he suddenly explodes or something?
Luffy is gonna take a dump on Kaido's scar. Better get some spicy Taco Bell to give it that extra "boost".

am I the only one reading this differently or this isnt really about powerscaling?

if luffy defeats kaydo with just oonga bonga punch punch punch ofc its boring

I expect a climax with symbolic metaphore (like when enel/crocodile/doffy's defeat) when luffy eventually finish off kaido.

we just have to wait and see until wano is done. at this point thematicly its just inferior to other climactic battle, but thats to be expected.

I agree, Oda meant he doesn't want Luffy to win conventionally by doing what he usually does, which is just using powerful attacks to punch them in the face as hard as possible. Hence he came up with the idea of internal destruction. That's an unconventional way of fighting because it's a totally new way of hurting opponents. Saying Oda contradicts himself amounts to engage in a pointless semantic argument, I think.