Endeavor is Hori’s best character imo, easily lol. I’m surprised (but also not surprised) that he still has this many haters. Not calling you a hater but Endeavor hate online is quite strong.

The whole subplot of him building a home for his family to live in without him hits me right in the feels. I have more emotional investment in Endeavor alone than I do the entirety of post-timeskip One Piece lol.
Endeavor is the best character by far.

Someone should do Endeavor carrying MHA like Odens execution meme.

Endi, Bakugou, Hawks amongst few are pillars of MHA for me.
Hell even AFO and Twice work amazingly well
I agree with you. Other than developing students he should focus on this characters.

Endi is best because he has amazing development Bakugo has that too. Hawks is amazing from his introduction.
Twices story is a great too and he got an amazing closure.

But if it werent for Endi i would have dropped this series long ago.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Endeavor is Hori’s best character imo, easily lol. I’m surprised (but also not surprised) that he still has this many haters. Not calling you a hater but Endeavor hate online is quite strong.

The whole subplot of him building a home for his family to live in without him hits me right in the feels. I have more emotional investment in Endeavor alone than I do the entirety of post-timeskip One Piece lol.
Yeah I can admit he's a great character and has good development, I just can't bring myself to like him much. Maybe down the line that changes.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Someone should do Endeavor carrying MHA like Odens execution meme.
Horikoshi has written other awesome characters, I think Tomura’s development into the main series villain has been near flawless, and characters like AFO, ReDestro, Overhaul, etc. are actually quite fascinating. I can also see a lot of the students Hori has created becoming great.

But yeah, Endeavor is the champion of this manga lol. He does not deserve the hate he still gets online.

Yeah I can admit he's a great character and has good development, I just can't bring myself to like him much. Maybe down the line that changes.
It’s characters like Endeavor that make my brain short-circuit when people say MHA is not as good as One Piece lol. I was rereading the MLA/MVA Arc the other day, and my god this shit is so much better than Wano, it’s absolutely staggering.

MHA dialogue is like: “the current hero society, which resulted from a time where the existence of quirks themselves threatened to tear the world apart, reformed into one which inadvertently oppresses the very people that it claims to save and protect”

OP dialogue is like: “Luffy so strong, his punch hit so hard, what is this power”

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Horikoshi has written other awesome characters, I think Tomura’s development into the main series villain has been near flawless, and characters like AFO, ReDestro, Overhaul, etc. are actually quite fascinating. I can also see a lot of the students Hori has created becoming great.

But yeah, Endeavor is the champion of this manga lol. He does not deserve the hate he still gets online.

It’s characters like Endeavor that make my brain short-circuit when people say MHA is not as good as One Piece lol. I was rereading the MLA/MVA Arc the other day, and my god this shit is so much better than Wano, it’s absolutely staggering.

MHA dialogue is like: “the current hero society, which resulted from a time where the existence of quirks themselves threatened to tear the world apart, reformed into one which inadvertently oppresses the very people that it claims to save and protect”

OP dialogue is like: “Luffy so strong, his punch hit so hard, what is this power”
My Villain Academia is my favourite MHA arc. I feel this series is superb when it focuses on its villains and the adults. Amazingly written. Then after that Shiggy's awakening and Dabi's encounter with Endeavor. I legit couldn't stop reading when I got to the MVA arc. The flow was great.

One Piece sucks ass my man. Haven't peeped a chapter in months lol. Luffy is just horrible. One of the worst protagonists I ever saw.

My Villain Academia is my favourite MHA arc. I feel this series is superb when it focuses on its villains and the adults. Amazingly written. Then after that Shiggy's awakening and Dabi's encounter with Endeavor. I legit couldn't stop reading when I got to the MVA arc. The flow was great.

One Piece sucks ass my man. Haven't peeped a chapter in months lol. Luffy is just horrible. One of the worst protagonists I ever saw.

I'm going to be a little bit contrarian here and say that the villains are consistently my least favourite characters by a solid margin. This is not a smack at Hori's creative abilities, but for the most, I find them either incredibly dry, or at worst, borderline pretentious.

The best of the villains was Twice, a guy with the most comparatively shonen motivation out of any of the villains.

And also, they just aren't terribly effective antagonists.

They kind of suck at antagonising the heroes.

Shigaraki in particular is kind of hilariously inept at being an antagonist force for the protagonist beyond "generic force of nature" character. AFO, the fucking meme lord generic shonen overlord villain, has a dynamic and interesting relationship with the protagonists(namely Deku), than Shiggy has. Shigaraki has a "nuanced" villain flashback, but that doesn't make him a more interesting person to me. His ambition is still not interesting to me(and I understand his issue with society). Hell, I still have no idea why Horikoshi made Shigaraki a gamer if that is not going to be relevant to anything about his character beside making him look like a total nerd.

Dabi is fun...but is also completely inept as a character.

MHA has interesting and specific themes with a fair bit of nuance to it, but that doesn't make it necessarily good. Its a series that tries to grapple with big idea, but doesn't have the scope or understanding to really flesh out an interesting opposition beyond rather dumbed down nihilism.

Like, usually, I really really villain characters, but holy shit, I really really don't care about the villains in MHA. Yes, they're fleshed out characters, but they're one of the lamest groups of villains I've had the misfortune of reading about. Them being so focused on generally hasn't really improved them much in my eyes beside one or two of them(Twice is still the goat).

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
MHA has interesting and specific themes with a fair bit of nuance to it, but that doesn't make it necessarily good. Its a series that tries to grapple with big idea, but doesn't have the scope or understanding to really flesh out an interesting opposition beyond rather dumbed down nihilism.
I guess it depends on what you’re talking about specifically but I could not disagree more, and I can’t think of a single MHA villain aside from Tomura who has this mindset. Even AFO isn’t nihilistic, he has a very specific vision of the world he is trying to create.

The existence of the MLA and their ideals is a pretty targeted and specific criticism of society that extends beyond just “destroy the whole thing” (that is Tomura’s job). MHA has also made plenty of criticisms about how no hero aside from All Might really fit the definition of being an idealistic hero, as the other heroes either possesses secret cruelty (Endeavor), were image obsessed (Mt. Lady and co.), did not care about saving villains so much as simply stopping them (Hawks), etc…This series has been pretty pointed in its criticisms of society Jazz lol.

If you think Tomura is generic, I’d ask you which other Shonen villains resemble him as a character as he is very much a one-of-a-kind villain in this genre and in this manga lol. But if by generic you mean “one-note”, as in “all he wants is destruction..” well yeah, he’s supposed to be the opposite to Deku who only wants to save everyone. Deku and Tomura represent the purest hero and villain ideals respectively.

I guess it depends on what you’re talking about specifically but I could not disagree more, and I can’t think of a single MHA villain aside from Tomura who has this mindset. Even AFO isn’t nihilistic, he has a very specific vision of the world he is trying to create.
Tomura has this very specific understanding of society, but most of the villains, or at least the ones who gain praise, are "we live in a society" type villains.
The existence of the MLA and their ideals is a pretty targeted and specific criticism of society that extends beyond just “destroy the whole thing” (that is Tomura’s job).
The thing is the meta liberation armies ideals are not a monolith. Shigaraki does not have any long term goals beyond "destroying everyhing", but the rest of the MLA, especially the remnants of the PLF, have a very specific vision for society. Namely a kratocratic society where position in society is determined by the usefulness of ones quirk. This is evidenced by guys like Geten and Trumpet, who both have an emphasis on the society they want to create being one that values the type of quirk an individual possesses.
MHA has also made plenty of criticisms about how no hero aside from All Might really fit the definition of being an idealistic hero,
All Might doesn't even meet that standard, and is actively criticized in the story for his role in contributing to the current situation.(admittedly, this is recuperated by Stain, but Stain is a fucking crazy murderer)

as the other heroes either possesses secret cruelty (Endeavor), were image obsessed (Mt. Lady and co.), did not care about saving villains so much as simply stopping them (Hawks),
Endeavour is right, but the funny thing is that as soon as All Might left the scene, heroes like Mt Lady who were initially obsessed with image actually began to change for the better to become true heroes. Hell, that was also true for Endeavour himself, who is beginning the journey of trying to atone for his past deeds.

Also, your just blatantly wrong about Hawks. Yes, Hawks did end up killing Twice and regrets being unable to save him, but he actually did try to "save" Twice to begin with. His initial efforts were mainly centered around trying to help Twice rehabilitate, not just stop him like your suggesting.

If you think Tomura is generic, I’d ask you which other Shonen villains resemble him as a character as he is very much a one-of-a-kind villain in this genre and in this manga lol.
Eh, he is a villain that is cut from the same sort of cloth as tons of other villains(Doflamingo is a character with the same sort of endgame, and also possessing in a tragic pathos filled past, even though they are distinctly different in other areas, they actually do have similar character beats in their backstory, even have the freaking "groomed from a young age to be the pinnacle of evil"). I wouldn't exactly say he is generic, as much as he is painfully dry, uncharismatic, and totally lacking in chemistry with any character he interacts with. Its that total lack of chemistry that allows someone incredibly generic like AFO to be a better antagonising force in the story.
But if by generic you mean “one-note”, as in “all he wants is destruction..” well yeah, he’s supposed to be the opposite to Deku who only wants to save everyone. Deku and Tomura represent the purest hero and villain ideals respectively.
The only villain I've called generic is AFO, and he is by far, the best antagonist force in the manga by a gigantic margin.

Shigaraki is not really the opposite of Deku though. I know people like to say he is, but he is similar to Deku in key area's, and that is reflected in his relationships with other characters. Both Shigaraki and Deku highly value their comrades. That is a major point of similiarity that makes comparisons slightly redundant. Shigaraki is not a pure villain by any metric.

AFO actually does a better job of "inverting" Deku's values than Shigaraki. AFO is a perfect inversion of the concept of heroism. He is a smiling, maniacal, petty villain, who uses his comrades and subordinates to his own ends, all for the sake of pursuing personal power. Even AFO's name is a total inversion of Deku's power of OFA.

He also has developed a better relationship with Deku than Shigaraki. While Shigaraki just has zero chemistry with Deku as a person, AFO actually is a good villain because he is someone perfectly understands who Deku is, and views the character traits that convinced All Might that Deku was worthy of OFA as "useless". There is an actual clash of values there which facilitates there to be real interpersonal conflict between AFO and Deku, something that does not exist between Deku and Shigaraki.

So in summary, AFO, the most generic evil overlord shonen villain in MHA, is a better villain than Shigaraki, and does the shit that Shigaraki is supposed to do as a villain better than Shigaraki. AFO as a villain is just a better foil for Deku than Shigaraki, who is just kind of shit.

I'd also say that Gentle was a better foil as an antagonist for Deku than Shigaraki, and that guy was fucking youtuber.

Last edited:

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
Villain wise :

- Tomura is the most original lead villain in MHA : its concept is nice, seeing a noob villain trying to learn how to be one and how to build his own crime empire etc.

@JazzMazz you said that tomura wasn't a great antagonist for Deku during the story, and you're not that wrong, because during most of the story the main enemies of Tomura weren't the heroes but the other villains and how Tomura interacted with them.

Tomura fought other villains lot more than he fought heroes.

We had :

- Tomura vs Stain ideaology
- Tomura vs Overhaul gang
- Tomura vs MLF and Destro.
- And now Tomura vs AFO
- and we even had Tomura vs Gigantomachia

Each time Tomura was challenged in his evil views and how to be his own bad guys, to define his own way, to grew etc.

Villain wise :

- Tomura is the most original lead villain in MHA : its concept is nice, seeing a noob villain trying to learn how to be one and how to build his own crime empire etc.

@JazzMazz you said that tomura wasn't a great antagonist for Deku during the story, and you're not that wrong, because during most of the story the main enemies of Tomura weren't the heroes but the other villains and how Tomura interacted with them.

Tomura fought other villains lot more than he fought heroes.

We had :

- Tomura vs Stain ideaology
- Tomura vs Overhaul gang
- Tomura vs MLF and Destro.
- And now Tomura vs AFO
- and we even had Tomura vs Gigantomachia

Each time Tomura was challenged in his evil views and how to be his own bad guys, to define his own way, to grew etc.
Yeah, the thing is, aside for AFO(which hasn't been resolved), its always been pretty obvious that Tomura is going to remain the main bad guy, and most of the villains previously mentioned really haven't had much in the way of staying power as an antagonist.

Aside from AFO, after their defeat, they either joined Tomura, or ceased being a significant antagonistic presence(or both).

Villain politics is usually really interesting, but I can't say that any of the villains aside from AFO himself really broke away to become a true antagonistic force in their own right. Its usually pretty interesting to have different factions within an evil organization competing for status and power after a power vacuum, but I don't think MHA has handled it terribly well, or at least not in a way in which any of the competition ever convincingly looked like they would become the main antagonist.

Overhaul was probably the biggest attempt at that, but Overhaul was small time, and he was stopped before he could accomplish anything worthwhile or notable as a main antagonist, and by the end of his arc he was rendered unable to be a significant threat again.

Redestro never fought any heroes before his conflict with Tomura, and then became subservient, before being unduly disposed of.

Gigantomachia was a monster, but was mainly just a giant beast.

Stain had an ideology, but he wasn't really cut out to be a main villain.

I think a bit of a problem is that the heroes in MHA are kind of incredibly competent, and so they often catch major antagonists before they have the chance to accomplish anything, or they somehow manage to turn around a situation which a main antagonist has created with little effort.

For example, Overhaul had big plans, but he wasn't caught in a major operation of his own creation. He was raided by the heroes, and was caught trying to make his getaway as his entire organisation was completely destroyed. He wasn't setting a trap for the heroes to fall in or anything like that, he was just a cornered mouse trying to make a desperate getaway.

If it hasn't become obvious, I feel like the villains in MHA aren't as active as I would like them to be. They do some cool stuff here and there, but often times, this is followed by the heroes responding with even greater more devastating force.

The forest training arc and Kamino comes to mind. The villains succeeded in step 1 of their plan to kidnap Bakugo, but they failed to convert him to their cause, and they were nearly taken down instantly in a hero raid, and were only saved thanks to AFO stepping in.

I feel like the villains are constantly on the backfoot, and even in their victories, they often suffer massive drawbacks that cripple their ability to do future stuff.

Even in the war, they got a massive win in the destruction they caused, but their army was fractured, and they lost a huge number of their key members, who are either missing, arrested, or dead. As such, despite "winning", they still feel like they've been crippled.

Panel getting thrown around, seems real but hasn't been confirmed though

"In USJ"
"As well as in the training camp" "
I was the one leaking the information"
"Midoriya..." "I'm... ...a filthy villain"
(In the cheese: I'm a villain)

If Aoyama is really the traitor I hope he doesn't get redeemed/forgiven

Last edited:
Panel getting thrown around, seems real but hasn't been confirmed though

"In USJ"
"As well as in the training camp" "
I was the one leaking the information"
"Midoriya..." "I'm... ...a filthy villain"
(In the cheese: I'm a villain)

If Aoyama is really the traitor I hope he doesn't get redeemed/forgiven
I hope this isnt true. Why is he telling it why its Aoyama.

Hagakure is not the traitor, she saw Aoyama being persuaded by his parents and then she went to call someone since she found out Aoyama was the traitor. She came back with Deku and the last page of the chapter is that.

As to why i know this, there is a person that posted the spoiler with a riddle(also the popularity results) in 5ch like 10 hours ago. I didn't understand the riddle at first but seeing the picture it's all clear now.