New Forum Rating System

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SinOfGreed

Lmfao

Keep it going guys. This is some top quality banter.

Honestly tho, the people who have the most likes genuinely do deserve it cus they do do some quality posts.

Just look at threads from users such as Admiral, Cinera or Lamberouge. Well thought out, and great content.

The others who get high likes are users who provide good takes, funny reads or are nice to share a conversation with.

With an exception of one or two spammers, most users deserve all their likes and more.

The system is fine as it is. No need for a change.
Facts bro. When I saw Lee's Meme Depository for the first time, it's probably the hardest I've laughed on this site.

I don't see a problem with the current system at all.

Like, rep or posts counts are empty values. Indeed the like system is the most used around, giant like facebook use it, but its primary purpose is not to indicate or even worse "reward"(reward with what?) the best users. Its true motive is to keep people lured to the platform giving these empty rewards (if you want to look at this a bit deeper go search for dopamine and the liking systems).

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
An option could be straighforwardly abolish the likes system

The forum wouldn't die out if that occurs

There will be less profile posts spam however, that's for granted, but it will feel natural and no one would complain about likes to have gone

There is no real problem with the like system. Folk simply like what they like and don’t like what they don’t like. Pretty simple, am I right? As the saying goes, if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.

@Finalbeta you argue that folk can abuse the like system to be on top of some leaderboard or whatever, correct? Well here is the thing Beta.

Nobody cares.

That leaderboard is irrelevant. Folk are not considered to be quality posters because of some ranking system. They are considered to be quality posters because other users regularly look at their content and hold it in high regard.

At the end of the day, a user’s post content quality speaks for itself. It is as simple as that.

Attempting to implement some hypothetical system to limit how users show appreciation for posts is just going to be an overly complex, controversial, logistical headache with no benefits whatsoever regarding a subject that a solid majority of the forum simply does not care about.

At the end of the day, the like system is simply a system where users express their appreciation and fondness for posts/content that entertained them in some manner, with a simple click of a button. Nothing more.

As for copypasta, that is simply a squad of folk having some harmless fun on their own profiles. Folk should be free to do what they want on their own profiles as long as it is not grossly offensive.

One can say that copypasta serves no logical purpose. Perhaps that is true. :quest:

One could also say that creating an account on an online forum in order to have virtual head butting contests akin to stags during rutting season, over blobs of ink representing fictional individuals in a Japanese children’s comic also lacks any logical purpose. :watchout:

So why do we do it? Why do humans do logically pointless things? The answer is simple. Entertainment i.e. fun. We all do what we do because we find entertainment in it. Humans are not machines. We are not logic driven entities. We are all free to find fun in whatever dumb shite we find funny, including copypasta.

However, for any individual that is still grouchy over the fact that other individuals find fun in ways that they cannot understand then here are two simple bits of advice.

I) If any user posts shite that one has no interest in seeing then guess what? You can ignore them.

II) If any user posts shite that one does not want on one’s own profile then guess what? One can delete it.

It sure is convenient how simple problems often have simple solutions. :catsure:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
That leaderboard is irrelevant. Folk are not considered to be quality posters because of some ranking system. They are considered to be quality posters because other users regularly look at their content and hold it in high regard.

At the end of the day, a user’s post content quality speaks for itself. It is as simple as that.
Well it still stands as misleading for guests and users that don't follow this forum properly and are not adequately informed about how the system works.

I laugh my butt off at how many OP fans in the world were misled by the leaderboard and legit thought I was some kind of One Piece Guru, considering how much my content was overall liked ultimately.

Moreover this system is the epitome of controversy either one cares about it or not. Even then, abolishing would be a fitting aestethical manouver. :)

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
There is no real problem with the like system. Folk simply like what they like and don’t like what they don’t like. Pretty simple, am I right? As the saying goes, if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.

@Finalbeta you argue that folk can abuse the like system to be on top of some leaderboard or whatever, correct? Well here is the thing Beta.

Nobody cares.

Attempting to implement some hypothetical system to limit how users show appreciation for posts is just going to be an overly complex, controversial, logistical headache with no benefits whatsoever regarding a subject that a solid majority of the forum simply does not care about.

At the end of the day, the like system is simply a system where users express their appreciation and fondness for posts/content that entertained them in some manner, with a simple click of a button. Nothing more.

As for copypasta, that is simply a squad of folk having some harmless fun on their own profiles. Folk should be free to do what they want on their own profiles as long as it is not grossly offensive.

One can say that copypasta serves no logical purpose. Perhaps that is true. :quest:

One could also say that creating an account on an online forum in order to have virtual head butting contests akin to stags during rutting season, over blobs of ink representing fictional individuals in a Japanese children’s comic also lacks any logical purpose. :watchout:

So why do we do it? Why do humans do logically pointless things? The answer is simple. Entertainment i.e. fun. We all do what we do because we find entertainment in it. Humans are not machines. We are not logic driven entities. We are all free to find fun in whatever dumb shite we find funny, including copypasta.

However, for any individual that is still grouchy over the fact that other individuals find fun in ways that they cannot understand then here are two simple bits of advice.

I) If any user posts shite that one has no interest in seeing then guess what? You can ignore them.

II) If any user posts shite that one does not want on one’s own profile then guess what? One can delete it.

It sure is convenient how simple problems often have simple solutions. :catsure:

Well it still stands as misleading for guests and users that don't follow this forum properly and are not adequately informed about how the system works.
Let me get this straight. Instead of having a system that caters to individuals that actively participate in this forum, there should instead be a system that caters to individuals that either barely participate in this forum or do not participate at all? Is that what you are saying?

These hypothetical low participation individuals are also presumably capable of reading, hence why they visit an online forum, so they can still read posts and see which users produce quality content and which do not.
I laugh my butt off at how many OP fans in the world were misled by the leaderboard and legit thought I was some kind of One Piece Guru, considering how much my content was overall liked ultimately.
These hypothetical individuals are entitled to whatever opinion they believe regardless of how faulty their logic is and their apparent inability or refusal to actually read posts. That does not necessitate a full forum overhaul that affects users who actually participate in this forum.
Moreover this system is the epitome of controversy either one cares about it or not. Even then, abolishing would be a fitting aestethical manouver. :)
It is not. You are claiming controversy where none exists.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
There's no need for metrics to identify the best users on the forum. We're all human beings, we are capable of discerning the quality of someone's content.

Who has the most likes is inconsequential, Beta. Likes are simply a form of positive expression towards a post/content. Maybe you agree with the post on a topic, maybe you find it amusing in some fashion, maybe they liked because they can. There's no way of verifying the intentions of every like on this forum.

This isn't a competition. I can't speak for everybody, but I can say I don't feel a shred of insecurity over users having higher like counts than me. Nor do I care in the content they are liking. It's their prerogative.

Besides, there are other means of disclosing feedback here. A simple comment in response probably says more than any one like can.

Beta if you want to be rewarded so much ask Bogard and Pantheos to make you a new tag or something.

Literally no one cares about this kind of stuff besides you.

You definitely love the leaderboards and etc but it doesn't matter for anyone else.

This is not an online game competitive forum.
exactly i don’t think anyone gives a shit who is on it

even if some users wanted to be on the leaderboards once they make it they realize it’s doesn’t matter

Status
Not open for further replies.