New Forum Rating System

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rhealuna

There is no real problem with the like system. Folk simply like what they like and don’t like what they don’t like. Pretty simple, am I right? As the saying goes, if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.

@Finalbeta you argue that folk can abuse the like system to be on top of some leaderboard or whatever, correct? Well here is the thing Beta.

Nobody cares.

That leaderboard is irrelevant. Folk are not considered to be quality posters because of some ranking system. They are considered to be quality posters because other users regularly look at their content and hold it in high regard.

At the end of the day, a user’s post content quality speaks for itself. It is as simple as that.

Attempting to implement some hypothetical system to limit how users show appreciation for posts is just going to be an overly complex, controversial, logistical headache with no benefits whatsoever regarding a subject that a solid majority of the forum simply does not care about.

At the end of the day, the like system is simply a system where users express their appreciation and fondness for posts/content that entertained them in some manner, with a simple click of a button. Nothing more.

As for copypasta, that is simply a squad of folk having some harmless fun on their own profiles. Folk should be free to do what they want on their own profiles as long as it is not grossly offensive.

One can say that copypasta serves no logical purpose. Perhaps that is true. :quest:

One could also say that creating an account on an online forum in order to have virtual head butting contests akin to stags during rutting season, over blobs of ink representing fictional individuals in a Japanese children’s comic also lacks any logical purpose. :watchout:

So why do we do it? Why do humans do logically pointless things? The answer is simple. Entertainment i.e. fun. We all do what we do because we find entertainment in it. Humans are not machines. We are not logic driven entities. We are all free to find fun in whatever dumb shite we find funny, including copypasta.

However, for any individual that is still grouchy over the fact that other individuals find fun in ways that they cannot understand then here are two simple bits of advice.

I) If any user posts shite that one has no interest in seeing then guess what? You can ignore them.

II) If any user posts shite that one does not want on one’s own profile then guess what? One can delete it.

It sure is convenient how simple problems often have simple solutions. :catsure:

:sweat:

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
There is no real problem with the like system. Folk simply like what they like and don’t like what they don’t like. Pretty simple, am I right? As the saying goes, if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it.

@Finalbeta you argue that folk can abuse the like system to be on top of some leaderboard or whatever, correct? Well here is the thing Beta.

Nobody cares.

That leaderboard is irrelevant. Folk are not considered to be quality posters because of some ranking system. They are considered to be quality posters because other users regularly look at their content and hold it in high regard.

At the end of the day, a user’s post content quality speaks for itself. It is as simple as that.

Attempting to implement some hypothetical system to limit how users show appreciation for posts is just going to be an overly complex, controversial, logistical headache with no benefits whatsoever regarding a subject that a solid majority of the forum simply does not care about.

At the end of the day, the like system is simply a system where users express their appreciation and fondness for posts/content that entertained them in some manner, with a simple click of a button. Nothing more.

As for copypasta, that is simply a squad of folk having some harmless fun on their own profiles. Folk should be free to do what they want on their own profiles as long as it is not grossly offensive.

One can say that copypasta serves no logical purpose. Perhaps that is true. :quest:

One could also say that creating an account on an online forum in order to have virtual head butting contests akin to stags during rutting season, over blobs of ink representing fictional individuals in a Japanese children’s comic also lacks any logical purpose. :watchout:

So why do we do it? Why do humans do logically pointless things? The answer is simple. Entertainment i.e. fun. We all do what we do because we find entertainment in it. Humans are not machines. We are not logic driven entities. We are all free to find fun in whatever dumb shite we find funny, including copypasta.

However, for any individual that is still grouchy over the fact that other individuals find fun in ways that they cannot understand then here are two simple bits of advice.

I) If any user posts shite that one has no interest in seeing then guess what? You can ignore them.

II) If any user posts shite that one does not want on one’s own profile then guess what? One can delete it.

It sure is convenient how simple problems often have simple solutions. :catsure:
:noo::noo:Wow owl ki 🦉:shocking::shocking:

You expressed it nicely.:amazing:

I don't think I need to say anything more after this though I have a full essay (Cinera style) prepared on it.

I have a better suggestion than what beta suggested - lock this thread :milaugh:

Let me get this straight. Instead of having a system that caters to individuals that actively participate in this forum, there should instead be a system that caters to individuals that either barely participate in this forum or do not participate at all? Is that what you are saying?

These hypothetical low participation individuals are also presumably capable of reading, hence why they visit an online forum, so they can still read posts and see which users produce quality content and which do not.

These hypothetical individuals are entitled to whatever opinion they believe regardless of how faulty their logic is and their apparent inability or refusal to actually read posts. That does not necessitate a full forum overhaul that affects users who actually participate in this forum.

It is not. You are claiming controversy where none exists.
I'm wholly aware how even users that don't actively participate have a brain and can read, same goes with guests. Sorrowfully, they don't always happen to discern the quality of a poster by a few posts they read and so if they look at the leaderboards they can be misled and stick with the idea that I'm some sort of One Piece Guru.

Abolishing likes could prove a brainy solution, and the induction of a new system would be a nice way to substitute for.

At the end of the day this forum wouldn't die out if likes disappeared and fresh air was drawn up and introduced.

This is not an online game competitive forum.
Fight me off, Jiren.

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
:feelscryingman: Can't we all just get along? I don't like reading the stuff people post about Beta. He's a cool guy even if he spams. Never seen him throw an insult to anyone in all his posts so I don't think being passive aggressive and talking around him is a nice thing to do. There are worst things to be than a spammer. :pepehands:

@Finalbeta You do you man. If likes are what you like getting out of this forum, then seek out likes. Theres nothing wrong with any of this shit. I have no problem giving them to you (Just don't trash Linlin :pepestrike:)

:feelscryingman: Can't we all just get along? I don't like reading the stuff people post about Beta. He's a cool guy even if he spams. Never seen him throw an insult to anyone in all his posts so I don't think being passive aggressive and talking around him is a nice thing to do. There are worst things to be than a spammer. :pepehands:

@Finalbeta You do you man. If likes are what you like getting out of this forum, then seek out likes. Theres nothing wrong with any of this shit. I have no problem giving them to you (Just don't trash Linlin :pepestrike:)
I've been bred to get used to negative comments, but this thread is not about me. I ain't the subject matter.

I'm civilly presenting an idea on how to augment the quality of the leaderboards and abolish a rusty system that represents nothing but a circlejerk and a model that entices spam.

What's the point of likes if they are not expressing the quality skills of an user member. They have 0 logic ultimately, except for controversial entertainment. The controversy stems from what the word "likes" means. An user should be liked because their content is good. The abuse generates controversy.

Then why don't we rename them "Reaction Score" or something, at least they would sound less misleading.

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
I've been bred to get used to negative comments, but this thread is not about me. I ain't the subject matter.

I'm civilly presenting an idea on how to augment the quality of the leaderboards and abolish a rusty system that represents nothing but a circlejerk and a model that entices spam.

What's the point of likes if they are not expressing the quality skills of an user member. They have 0 logic ultimately, except for controversial entertainment. The controversy stems from what the word "likes" means. An user should be liked because his content is good.

Then why don't we rename them "Reaction Score" or something, at least they would sound less misleading.
I don't have much stake in the matter but I just thought I would speak out because much of the thread turned into passive attacks against you which I can't stand for.

As for the topic of the thread, I feel the likes system works well enough because it lacks complexity and the user giving the like can give it through their own interpretation. Heres what I will say though. Maybe a system with a bit more complexity and nuance but not extremely so would be just fine but like all systems in online forums or in general, it will soon become popularity contests. There are very few ways to avoid such outcomes.

I don't have much stake in the matter but I just thought I would speak out because much of the thread turned into passive attacks against you which I can't stand for.

As for the topic of the thread, I feel the likes system works well enough because it lacks complexity and the user giving the like can give it through their own interpretation. Heres what I will say though. Maybe a system with a bit more complexity and nuance but not extremely so would be just fine but like all systems in online forums or in general, it will soon become popularity contests. There are very few ways to avoid such outcomes.
It works of course, I would be surprised if a XenForo feature didn't work out.

But is it a good one? Legit? Polite?

This is the hamletic query my friend.

Perhaps we got too plunged into it and we don't realize how silly this system is.

I say viva the meritocracy.

And long live staying in the leaderboards because you actually well-earned it and not because some users pushed you on top for your mediocre and futile content.

Rosella.Fiamingo

Peerless In History
It works of course, I would be surprised if a XenForo feature didn't work out.

But is it a good one? Legit? Polite?

This is the hamletic query my friend.

Perhaps we got too plunged into it and we don't realize how silly this system is.

I say viva the meritocracy.

And long live staying in the leaderboards because you actually well-earned it and not because some users pushed you on top for your mediocre and futile content.

It's neither good nor bad. it is what it is.

Whats XenoFero

I don't think of the system at all so I don't think it's all that silly.

And I think a meritocracy is impossible. No such thing exists even in the most egalitarian societies.

By far place one on all 3 ladderboards

Yet,i doubt anybody rly cares about this board,as its just a forum and not a Online Multiplayergame
I agree for what it concerns post count.

The number of posts doesn't equate quality and this is something everyone should discern.

But what about likes? A few users and many guests can be misled by this ranking and imo, regardless whether one is capable of discerning its true nature or not, it's hilarious how I'm the most liked user in the forum when this is not true at all. The controversy is evident, but no one seems to care. 🤔 yet why not fixing it.

Even switching "Likes" with a new appellation "Reaction Score" could be a decent progress, which would be less misleading.

Last edited:

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
This thread’s an absolute joke. The worst user we’ve had since True God Moe was banned is trying to suggest forum improvements. The big twist? He wants likes removed, the shit he’s spammed nonstop to farm.

No one besides yourself and two other users cares about their culminated likes. It’s a fun forum statistic in the best of cases. If you really want the forum to improve, work on your posts.

I'm wholly aware how even users that don't actively participate have a brain and can read, same goes with guests. Sorrowfully, they don't always happen to discern the quality of a poster by a few posts they read and so if they look at the leaderboards they can be misled
By a few posts? So you are saying that a system needs to be created to cater to individuals that basically don’t read posts?

Beta, if these hypothetical users cannot discern post quality by reading posts then a meritocratic leaderboard is going to mean nothing to them.
and stick with the idea that I'm some sort of One Piece Guru.
Beta, I am going to be blunt. Absolutely no one who has ever read a single one of your posts has this idea about you. Using yourself as an example does not work.
At the end of the day this forum wouldn't die out if likes disappeared and fresh air was drawn up and introduced.
At the end of the day, this forum is not going to die out if things are simply just left as they are. :goatasure:

Oh really. Alright. Here is a link to the Top 20 leaderboard of most liked users.

https://worstgen.alwaysdata.net/forum/members/?key=most_likes

Which ones are, in your opinion, blatant low quality spammers?
What's the point of likes if they are not expressing the quality skills of an user member. They have 0 logic ultimately, except for controversial entertainment. The controversy stems from what the word "likes" means. An user should be liked because their content is good. The abuse generates controversy.
Beta, there is no controversy over what the definition of “like” is or what a like system is meant to represent.
Tis pretty simple and self explanatory.
This suggestion is basically saying we should go from this.
To this.
Calling it by a different name does not change what it is.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Sorrowfully, they don't always happen to discern the quality of a poster by a few posts they read and so if they look at the leaderboards they can be misled and stick with the idea that I'm some sort of One Piece Guru.
Owl already covered this ably enough, but I wanna add that nobody comes to an OP forum, intentionally and immediately goes for the like/post leaderboards, and assumes that the guy at the top knows the most about the series and it goes on in descending order. I cannot imagine how many competing learning disabilities someone has to have for any of the above to make sense. Speaking as someone in the top 5 of one of those lists, I feel like MANY users below me know this series far better than I do, and I’m not convinced that everyone above me could say the same. This is one of the craziest fucking things I’ve ever seen on this site, and that’s saying A LOT.

@Owl Ki

There have to be some wandering souls who happened to turn their attention on the leaderboards at least one time, looking at my name on top and saying to themselves: "this man must be special".

It's not ordinary to change your mind after you see a few one liners, guests that fail to acknowledge me properly may live under a delusional glass bell-jar.

The wikipedia definition for "like" is straightforwardly semantical but it doesn't cancel out the controversy of this system.

This system is like a spatial wormhole, in that it grants you shortcuts, but the aftermath could be horrible, and unpredictable, and in fact, I'm experiencing the sorrow firsthand.
Post automatically merged:

Owl already covered this ably enough, but I wanna add that nobody comes to an OP forum, intentionally and immediately goes for the like/post leaderboards, and assumes that the guy at the top knows the most about the series and it goes on in descending order. I cannot imagine how many competing learning disabilities someone has to have for any of the above to make sense. Speaking as someone in the top 5 of one of those lists, I feel like MANY users below me know this series far better than I do, and I’m not convinced that everyone above me could say the same. This is one of the craziest fucking things I’ve ever seen on this site, and that’s saying A LOT.

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
@Owl Ki

There have to be some wandering souls who happened to turn their attention on the leaderboards at least one time, looking at my name on top and saying to themselves: "this man must be special".

It's not ordinary to change your mind after you see a few one liners, guests that fail to acknowledge me properly may live under a delusional glass bell-jar.

The wikipedia definition for "like" is straightforwardly semantical but it doesn't cancel out the controversy of this system.

This system is like a spatial wormhole, in that it grants you shortcuts, but the aftermath could be horrible, and unpredictable, and in fact, I'm experiencing the sorrow firsthand.
This is one of the craziest fucking things I’ve ever seen on this site, and that’s saying A LOT.
Guess I fired that bullet too soon...Final, please, just let this go. You know none of this is true, and nobody else has claimed anything along those lines. Just be on the site and try to have a good time without spamming everything; you said on my wall that you wanted to be better, but you’ve only increased your efforts since then, I see you posting literally EVERYWHERE with the same insubstantial stuff. You gotta show people you’ll be different, not tell them you will but then turn around and keep doing the same shit.

Right. So a system needs to be created for hypothetical individuals who are assumed to be in existence and folk that you admit are “delusional”?

Why would anyone ever create anything to cater to those who are delusional?

The demographic that you suggest the site caters to progressively gets worse with each suggestion.
Good thing I took a screen shot of a dictionary definition instead of a Wikipedia definition then. :goatasure:

Beta, what are you on about? What possible legitimate “sorrow” can you experience from an online thumbs up system?

Beta, if you want something to be done about your bloated post/like count then you yourself can do something about.

Any user can delete their own content. You think you got some bad posts with too many likes? Go on a self deleting spree to your hearts content.

Also, you consistently claim that this thread is not about you...
This is not about me, so don't derail the attention.
but then you keep using yourself as the sole example of why the system is flawed and just generally talk about yourself.
and stick with the idea that I'm some sort of One Piece Guru.
it's hilarious how I'm the most liked user in the forum when this is not true at all.
I've been bred to get used to negative comments.
OP is Finalbeta

You should have expected a warzone

I laugh my butt off at how many OP fans in the world were misled by the leaderboard and legit thought I was some kind of One Piece Guru, considering how much my content was overall liked ultimately.
I'm humble enough to admit I belong to the category of spammers and my content isn't qualitatively appealing.

I usually post for quantity, I don't put much effort in my posts. I don't belong to the realm of "you are the most liked user on WG".
I'm repent for my mistakes
What I'm sorry about is to witness the controversy of this system that currently has me as numerically the best member on WorstGen, however I would be lucky to rank in the hundreds.

It's something quite unsightly and bothering to me
I'm apparently the most liked, and yet I'm parsecs away to be warranted such position, which is the hilarious controversy of the liking system.
I'm sick of being recognized for something I shouldn't have.
And I don't want to be the user recognized as "most liked" when my content lacks that much quality.
As you are the sole example that you yourself give of a spammer, what your are basically saying is that an entire system overhaul is needed because a single individual that makes up 5% of a Top 20 Leaderboard that practically nobody ever looks at, is unworthy of his spot on the aforementioned leaderboard that no one cares about.

Beta, no one was forced to give you likes. They gave you likes because they wanted to. It is as simple as that.

If you still feel unworthy about occupying a top spot that no one cares about then either get good or just stop. No one is forcing you to post anything. There is no point in doing anything if one does not get entertainment out of it.

Last edited:
Whoever have the authority over this section\Thread ... please give your decision and lock it down ...
I think everyone said what he/she wanted to say .... dragging this longer will only mean this place is gonna turn into a flame-bait exhibition\gallery.
I think everyone agree this is a dead end for this thread, let's get over it and enjoy other aspects of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.