New One Piece Editor: Iwasaki Yuuji

If you publish any work, be it a novel, manga or comic, it doesn't matter, it will always go through the hands of editors first. That's normal. Only the fact, that Oda has four of them by now raises the question if that's a good thing.
I think multiple brains can be a great thing, if they work together well. Every artist needs an editor to bring out the best in them.

I hope this works out for Goda.

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
I think multiple brains can be a great thing, if they work together well. Every artist needs an editor to bring out the best in them.

There are two sides to this coin. They will either bring the best out of him together or drag him down because every single one will look differently at some things.

Yeah, I'm afraid of One Piece turning into an history love, Naruto thing, Bleach...
I don't think that will happen. Oda made it clear from the beginning that love etc will not play a big role and after over 20 years he's still at it. Sure there are hype moments and a lot of ships that could be reasonable but so far alle of the Strawhats are still working towards their primary goals. So at least that won't happen.

Of course. But the more opinion the more changes and possibilities. It isn't only good, it can also be bad. But we will see how it turns out storywise. Iwasaki is unknown to us and I doubt we'll ever see much influence from the editors since we only get to know the end products, the drawn story.

I'm not sure what's the matter with this editors thing...

Can someone explain what will happen with One Piece?
Not much. Oda is in charge or story direction, but the editor may or may not suggest things that people like or dislike. Someone brought up that without editor at the time that did Sabaody/Marineford, the Supernova wouldn't have existed, and I think they are some of the most interesting characters in the series.

But other things on a much smaller scale could been changed by an editor or suggested, mainly pacing and asking Oda to spend more time on other things (like Udon) vs. Things fans would want (battles with side characters). This we aren't 100% sure exist, but it's a possibility.

Basically new editor may help Oda refocus on some aspects of an arc to make it more entertaining or less controversial. Or they might make it worse. We won't know for a long time as we see how the next 20-40 chapters pan out.

That being said, I don't think there is much to worry about anyway. The story will still be the same now until the end, but "some" parts of the execution might be better or worse. Oda's had multiple editors for years, having 4 right now is not new.

T

The Penguin

I don't think that will happen. Oda made it clear from the beginning that love etc will not play a big role and after over 20 years he's still at it. Sure there are hype moments and a lot of ships that could be reasonable but so far alle of the Strawhats are still working towards their primary goals. So at least that won't happen.

Of course. But the more opinion the more changes and possibilities. It isn't only good, it can also be bad. But we will see how it turns out storywise. Iwasaki is unknown to us and I doubt we'll ever see much influence from the editors since we only get to know the end products, the drawn story.
I mean... Fairy Tail Style.
Post automatically merged:

Not much. Oda is in charge or story direction, but the editor may or may not suggest things that people like or dislike. Someone brought up that without editor at the time that did Sabaody/Marineford, the Supernova wouldn't have existed, and I think they are some of the most interesting characters in the series.

But other things on a much smaller scale could been changed by an editor or suggested, mainly pacing and asking Oda to spend more time on other things (like Udon) vs. Things fans would want (battles with side characters). This we aren't 100% sure exist, but it's a possibility.

Basically new editor may help Oda refocus on some aspects of an arc to make it more entertaining or less controversial. Or they might make it worse. We won't know for a long time as we see how the next 20-40 chapters pan out.

That being said, I don't think there is much to worry about anyway. The story will still be the same now until the end, but "some" parts of the execution might be better or worse. Oda's had multiple editors for years, having 4 right now is not new.
Hmm... Better be on alert.

T

The Penguin

Bold of you to assume that One Piece will be like Fairy Tail. And even in terms of romance the ships were clear throughout the story. And Oda won't do such asspulls and destroy the potential of his story. His world building and connections in OP are already too set. Of course things can go wrong but we'll see
We have seen a lot of mess in Wano actually so it's not too far.

An editor can be a double edged sword, and massively improve areas, miss important gaps and mess things up, or he can cause a mixture of both.
An editor pushed for Shanks to lose his arm to dial up the stakes at the beginning of the story, which was great for the time and theme of the manga and attributed to it's early success but now we know how strong Shanks is it makes a lot less sense.
But I guess he either truly "bet his arm" on the era to improve Luffy's resolve (which seems manipulative if he didn't need to lose it but caused Luffy to incur a massive mental debt), or he got really sloppy and paid for it.

Iwasaki "Manga Editor", Naito - Habuta - Takano are Media Editors.

Takahiro Habuta right?
I read somewhere that Habuta come back, he is a veteran and a old editor of Oda who work from 2001-2005:

Even if he is probably a media editor, he still beeing together with Oda and can help the others, we have two vets Naito and Habuta himself and two new rookies who could be good aswell. Im sure Takano will work more for the media with Naito while Habuta and Iwasaki helping up Oda.

In that case they not just add one new editor but two at once.
Before Oda just had two editors, one for Media and one who help Oda, they add two more editors so they can help Oda even more.
And im sure in Habuta case he get called back to help Oda, he is a veteran and work 4years together with Oda in the past.

Let hope Oda together with Iwasaki and Habuta can make the war even far better.