Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
Queston for all the people who insist no one else will join, what will you say when someone joins?

Strawhat candidates: Kuma, King, Hancock, Elbaf Giant, lunarian or skypeian character.

Following the old alphabet pattern: GH, OP, and WX are left

Hancock, PX-0 (Kuma), Wildfire (King)

or maybe it stands for : Girl (G), Perv (P), Warrior (W)

Leaving it so the last 3 strawhats don't follow the same pattern

Vivi/Bonney (G), Momo (P), Yamato/or whoever (W)
My serious vote is "+1" to the crew, if Luffy can count right and 11 is indeed the final number. However, I'm leaning to "no one joins" mostly because there's so little story left. I'm fine with both options, as long as the last nakama makes sense (or there's none and it also makes sense, looking at you, Baitmato and Baitrot).

I used to be a big proponent of the goroawase theories. Problem is they're not very strong as only supported by circumstancial "evidence".

For instance:
A
Brook (2nd letter)
Chopper (3rd letter)
D
E
Franky (6th letter)
G
H
I
Jinbe (10th letter)
K
Luffy (12th letter)
M
Nami (14th letter)
O
P
Q
Robin (18th letter)
Sanji (19th letter)
T
Usopp (21st letter)
V
W
X
Y
Zoro (26th letter)

So again, where is the actual pattern? Ik the letters get paired but this is completely arbitrary and there is no reason to assume it actually works other than that it has so far, because the entire theory was proposed around the time of the Dressrosa arc. The reason I say this is because this is when I wrote up said theory to determine whether Kyros would join the crew or not. I can tell you first hand the methodology was as simple as seeing the letters could be split into pairs and at the time it was consisent which makes sense given 17 of the goddamn letters were not related to Strawhat names at the time!

The other goroawase theory I recall coming from an SBS and related to crewmate devilfruits. IIrc the only numbers left are 2 and 9 and these can make (of known devil fruits) Kin'emon, Caribou and Kumas fruits. It also works for the Toki Toki no Mi (if this is what Bonney's fruit is).

As for GPW, what's that about? Why do you insist the crew needs to recruit a Lunarian?

I'm still leaning towards Bonney but the possibility that nobody new joins is very high. Baring in mind Luffy said 10 crewmates and there's now 10 strawhats (still unclear if Luffy counted himself or not. Either way, SH no. 10 or no. 11 is the last strawhat), you can see why people think that way. If someone else joins, what do you expect them to say? They were wrong? Well duh.

There's a really good theory for gorowase where it spells SANIGO JUSANKO which means the sunny 13, that requires pre and pos time skip candidates to join if you had NIKYU as 29 with the current straw hats you get :

325 - SA NI GO ( pre time skip - GOMU , HITO, HANA, YOMI, NIKYU)
and
139 - JU SAN KO ( post time skip - INU, NIKYU, TOWA)

Vivi would get the Nikyu fruit and she would join and the gorowase would read the Sunny 13, which makes sense since there's a lot of evidence for 13 SHs, like the fact they're called mugiwara ichimi, which means 13.

But Oda is a dumbass so :few:

There's a really good theory for gorowase where it spells SANIGO JUSANKO which means the sunny 13, that requires pre and pos time skip candidates to join if you had NIKYU as 29 with the current straw hats you get :

325 - SA NI GO ( pre time skip - GOMU , HITO, HANA, YOMI, NIKYU)
and
139 - JU SAN KO ( post time skip - INU, NIKYU, TOWA)

Vivi would get the Nikyu fruit and she would join and the gorowase would read the Sunny 13, which makes sense since there's a lot of evidence for 13 SHs, like the fact they're called mugiwara ichimi, which means 13.

But Oda is a dumbass so :few:
Yeah I'm well aware. Way back when OroJackson was a young forum I was one of the first proponents to discuss goroawase. But I am telling you now it's very flawed and can be interpreted numerous ways. Everyone, including myself, throwing the theory about was simply posting about the interpretation that fits their narrative at the time, rather than a more comprehensive view of the possibilities.

First issue here with your post:
1. 325 SAN NI GO is lifted directly from an SBS and/or was actually pointed out to Oda. It is quite possible this is by chance/a fluke, although hard to prove either way.
2. Ju San Ko doesn't work. Ju is 10. If it was 1039 then it would work. 1 is Hito, Hi, Ichi, I or Wan only.

Additionally, the goroawase of the number combination 2 and 9, ASSUMING the DF goroawase theory actually holds any meaning (again, rather than merely an observation that currently suits the narrative of fans and who they want to join), there is a total of 47 different syllabic combinations from either the Kun'yomi, On'yomi or Katakana alphabets. In any case, Nikyu is just one. We also have Fuku (Kin'emon). Also, Niji is a possible combination. Does that mean he's a Strawhat candidate? Toki works too. Baku Baku no Mi works too so I guess the Strawhats are recruiting Wapol too, right? Numa Numa no Mi works as well so may as well chuck Caribou in there too.

My point is it's so arbitrary in how you can interpret it to the point where it ultimately means nothing because it doesn't narrow down any possibilities and there is no empirical evidence to prove outright that the theory is correct and applicable in the first place other than the fact it's worked so far.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm well aware. Way back when OroJackson was a young forum I was one of the first proponents to discuss goroawase. But I am telling you now it's very flawed and can be interpreted numerous ways. Everyone, including myself, throwing the theory about was simply posting about the interpretation that fits their narrative at the time, rather than a more comprehensive view of the possibilities.

First issue here with your post:
1. 325 SAN NI GO is lifted directly from an SBS and/or was actually pointed out to Oda. It is quite possible this is by chance/a fluke, although hard to prove either way.
2. Ju San Ko doesn't work. Ju is 10. If it was 1039 then it would work. 1 is Hito, Hi, Ichi, I or Wan only.

Additionally, the goroawase of the number combination 2 and 9, ASSUMING the DF goroawase theory actually holds any meaning (again, rather than merely an observation that currently suits the narrative of fans and who they want to join), there is a total of 47 different syllabic combinations from either the Kun'yomi, On'yomi or Katakana alphabets. In any case, Nikyu is just one. We also have Fuku (Kin'emon). Also, Niji is a possible combination. Does that mean he's a Strawhat candidate? Toki works too. Baku Baku no Mi works too so I guess the Strawhats are recruiting Wapol too, right? Numa Numa no Mi works as well so may as well chuck Caribou in there too.

My point is it's so arbitrary in how you can interpret it to the point where it ultimately means nothing because it doesn't narrow down any possibilities and there is no empirical evidence to prove outright that the theory is correct and applicable in the first place other than the fact it's worked so far.

I mean you don't have to discard the concept just because a lot of candidates can exist like Wapol, people here made arguments about what a strawhat should have to the point where sometimes Kiku would fit the mold. Either it's story or sad backstory or focus or role or whatever, gorowase is just another tool in the toolbox.

Also gorowase is extremlly important, it's present in bounties to make puns, it's how we know with some almost guarantee that luffy bounty will be around 5.6 B or Zoro will be 3.6B. (EOS or at some point). Because Roger and Mihawk have bounties which are slighty below that amount and so:

Roger : 5,564,800,000 - 6=Ro 4=ji 8=ya (Roger)
Luffy: ~ 5.6B - 5=Go 6=Mu

Other yonkos also have it puns in their bounties. Oda does this constantly from making Zoro 1cm above Sanji to making Luffy's dad be 256 cm.

There's other evidence that it would 13 SH aswell it's not just gorowase.

I mean you don't have to discard the concept just because a lot of candidates can exist like Wapol, people here made arguments about what a strawhat should have to the point where sometimes Kiku would fit the mold. Either it's story or sad backstory or focus or role or whatever, gorowase is just another tool in the toolbox.

Also gorowase is extremlly important, it's present in bounties to make puns, it's how we know with some almost guarantee that luffy bounty will be around 5.6 B or Zoro will be 3.6B. (EOS or at some point). Because Roger and Mihawk have bounties which are slighty below that amount and so:

Roger : 5,564,800,000 - 6=Ro 4=ji 8=ya (Roger)
Luffy: ~ 5.6B - 5=Go 6=Mu

Other yonkos also have it puns in their bounties. Oda does this constantly from making Zoro 1cm above Sanji to making Luffy's dad be 256 cm.

There's other evidence that it would 13 SH aswell it's not just gorowase.
Not sure how you haven't clocked this yet. But i've mentioned it 3x in my last 3 posts now.
I. KNOW. ABOUT. GOROAWASE. AND. ITS. IMPORTANCE.
I will say this for you, again: when OroJackson (the predecessor to this forum) was young, we are talking about 10 years ago, I was one of the active members frequently assessing and reviewing goroawase and its implications. Practically anything you bring up I've already heard before. The point is you don't need to explain anything to me. At all. So I would appreciate if you stopped trying to patronise me about something I know very well.

Bounties and Goroawase mean nothing when it comes to people joining the crew. Furthermore it proves nothing of significance?
Goroawase does not serve as evidence for who will join the crew. It's not 'another tool in the toolbox', it's a near baseless observation which works sometimes and doesn't work other times and the success rate for predictions based on Goroawase in the 14ish years since I've been reading One Piece weekly has been very, very low. This is because of Oda's arbitrary use of goroawase. He designs character traits based on the name-puns rather than the other way around.

There is no evidence from goroawase that there will be 13 strawhats. All that Goroawase imposes is that they will hire a new member that has a devil fruit that is one of 47 different syllabic combinations from 2 and 9, of which there are five already known in-verse. It's a guessing game. There is no evidence to even prove that the San Ni Go Goroawase even matters anymore post-skip.

"139 - JU SAN KO ( post time skip - INU, NIKYU, TOWA)" is something you've completely made up and it doesn't fit. Ju San Ko is 10 3 9. You're missing a digit. Additionally, Inu and Towa both do not in any way fit into goroawase pairings. ToWan works, but that's not your argument. INu only somewhat works but it crosses two alphabets (which is also something not done with the other devil fruits), but that isn't the name of a devil fruit unless you think we're gonna see the Strawhats recruit Jabra or Mr 4. Which again, are ridiculous suggestions.

Not sure how you haven't clocked this yet. But i've mentioned it 3x in my last 3 posts now.
I will say this for you, again: when OroJackson (the predecessor to this forum) was young, we are talking about 10 years ago, I was one of the active members frequently assessing and reviewing goroawase and its implications. Practically anything you bring up I've already heard before. The point is you don't need to explain anything to me. At all. So I would appreciate if you stopped trying to patronise me about something I know very well.

Bounties and Goroawase mean nothing when it comes to people joining the crew. Furthermore it proves nothing of significance?
Goroawase does not serve as evidence for who will join the crew. It's not 'another tool in the toolbox', it's a near baseless observation which works sometimes and doesn't work other times and the success rate for predictions based on Goroawase in the 14ish years since I've been reading One Piece weekly has been very, very low. This is because of Oda's arbitrary use of goroawase. He designs character traits based on the name-puns rather than the other way around.

There is no evidence from goroawase that there will be 13 strawhats. All that Goroawase imposes is that they will hire a new member that has a devil fruit that is one of 47 different syllabic combinations from 2 and 9, of which there are five already known in-verse. It's a guessing game. There is no evidence to even prove that the San Ni Go Goroawase even matters anymore post-skip.

"139 - JU SAN KO ( post time skip - INU, NIKYU, TOWA)" is something you've completely made up and it doesn't fit. Ju San Ko is 10 3 9. You're missing a digit. Additionally, Inu and Towa both do not in any way fit into goroawase pairings. ToWan works, but that's not your argument. INu only somewhat works but it crosses two alphabets (which is also something not done with the other devil fruits), but that isn't the name of a devil fruit unless you think we're gonna see the Strawhats recruit Jabra or Mr 4. Which again, are ridiculous suggestions.
to me all those nakama theories seem fun but not binding at all, especially with Luffy’s actual fruit name breaking the pattern :)
remember color wheel theory? Then we get Jinbe with gold as his official colour (if I am not mistaken).

so it’s all fine and games until we get a real nakama (which at this point seems less and less probable)

I mean again i literally said gorowase is a tool in a toolbox, you ignored that and you completly missunderstood the point about the bounties but i'm used to people on this website arguing for the sake of it so ye.

I mean again i literally said gorowase is a tool in a toolbox, you ignored that and you completly missunderstood the point about the bounties but i'm used to people on this website arguing for the sake of it so ye.
I literally addressed that point.

So please enlighten me on why characters names potentially or actually (in the case of the Yonko) reflecting in their bounties helps us determine who could join as a Strawhat?

If that wasn't your point, then your point is moot to begin with.
Post automatically merged:

to me all those nakama theories seem fun but not binding at all, especially with Luffy’s actual fruit name breaking the pattern :)
remember color wheel theory? Then we get Jinbe with gold as his official colour (if I am not mistaken).

so it’s all fine and games until we get a real nakama (which at this point seems less and less probable)
I found it really fun way back when I actually had time for it, and so got really into it! Was constantly wrong though. Tried to use Goroawase to work out Mihawk's bounty, didn't work. Tried to use goroawase to prove that Monet would join the crew, then Viola, then Pudding; all of which could be done (because funnily enough the 2-9 thing isn't the only final two digits as there's some crossover between 2 and 4, so could be 4-9). Also people were using goroawase to determine that Caesar could join the crew which also was potentially provable.

Point is, there's numerous interpretations and 2-9 for the last SH is just one of them. There's also 4-9, 9-2 and 9-4. Basically, it's too vague to have any meaning at all, so I have little respect for any opinions that derive their "credibility" from goroawase.

Like, if these people cottoned on to every goroawase opportunity they'd be raging right now that they haven't seen Aramaki getting a blowjob or something since Ryokugyu can be re-written as 69 (Roku - 6, kyu - 9) when changing the syllables from the Kun'yomi alphabet to the On'yomi alphabet.

See my point? It's completely arbitrary. It's cool, but it's inconsistent, and ultimately Oda can fuck around with people however he wants and since he knows fans use goroawase for speculative purposes, he does the same to subvert expectations. Case in point he made Kin'emons fruit fit the 2-9 syllables which was pointed out to him in a SBS during the PH arc when he was asked if this meant Kuma or another df user would join the crew. There were also 4 DFs in the space of 3 arcs introduced that also fit 2-9 or 4-9. He knows what he's doing!

Last edited:
Well, as for honorary nakama - unlike Vivi (and even Kinemon with Momo) Yamato only had a few scenes with Luffy and then spent a week on lonely rooftop without interacting much with the rest of SHP.

And regarding Yamato actually sailing with the crew, I see way too many obstacles right now:
1) SHP already left Wano and they usually don't come back to any island.
2) Whenever SHP are, Yamato would need a ride to reach them, and Wano is still a closed country. Technically, it could get visited by someone from Great Fleet, but then we have another reason
3) which is Yamato wanting to protect Wano and Momo. Sadly, Momo ain't Oden's level yet and while I'm still salty about Yamato staying there, she's kinda right in that regard - without Kaido, Wano needs more protection than ever.

So yeah, I rooted for Yamato, but got baited by Oda and now I believe she's going to re-appear in the last part of the story. Oh well.

Well, as for honorary nakama - unlike Vivi (and even Kinemon with Momo) Yamato only had a few scenes with Luffy and then spent a week on lonely rooftop without interacting much with the rest of SHP.

And regarding Yamato actually sailing with the crew, I see way too many obstacles right now:
1) SHP already left Wano and they usually don't come back to any island.
2) Whenever SHP are, Yamato would need a ride to reach them, and Wano is still a closed country. Technically, it could get visited by someone from Great Fleet, but then we have another reason
3) which is Yamato wanting to protect Wano and Momo. Sadly, Momo ain't Oden's level yet and while I'm still salty about Yamato staying there, she's kinda right in that regard - without Kaido, Wano needs more protection than ever.

So yeah, I rooted for Yamato, but got baited by Oda and now I believe she's going to re-appear in the last part of the story. Oh well.
I don’t think that matters since Robin didn’t spend much time with Luffy before Vivi left, so the fact Robin left when she did while Yamato stayed for a time in Wano tells me that Yamato is there to get crucial development, because otherwise Oda could have brought in Jozu, Vista, or a new character to give Yamato more excuse to go out earlier.

Given how fast Koby learned his skills and Momo learning Bolo Breath, Flame clouds, and gaining Oden’s durable skin, I suspect he’d be able to impress Yamato enough to convince her to sail out in less than a year if he really pushes himself.

So my main point is is that if it was really impossible for Yamato to finish business with Momo early and get back to Straw Hats, then Oda wouldn’t have put in Momo lamenting over Yamato not getting to leave to be free while proving himself as Wano defender. So for better or worse, I expect closure from that.

I’ve actually gone to suspect Yamato may leave with Cross Guild, since Buggy was friends with Oden, and Mihawk might stay there since he’d prob see Wano as peaceful and interesting enough to stay in, since he’s interested in swordsmen, so we’ll have to see.

I don’t think that matters since Robin didn’t spend much time with Luffy before Vivi left, so the fact Robin left when she did while Yamato stayed for a time in Wano tells me that Yamato is there to get crucial development, because otherwise Oda could have brought in Jozu, Vista, or a new character to give Yamato more excuse to go out earlier.

Given how fast Koby learned his skills and Momo learning Bolo Breath, Flame clouds, and gaining Oden’s durable skin, I suspect he’d be able to impress Yamato enough to convince her to sail out in less than a year if he really pushes himself.

So my main point is is that if it was really impossible for Yamato to finish business with Momo early and get back to Straw Hats, then Oda wouldn’t have put in Momo lamenting over Yamato not getting to leave to be free while proving himself as Wano defender. So for better or worse, I expect closure from that.

I’ve actually gone to suspect Yamato may leave with Cross Guild, since Buggy was friends with Oden, and Mihawk might stay there since he’d prob see Wano as peaceful and interesting enough to stay in, since he’s interested in swordsmen, so we’ll have to see.
Interesting idea about Cross Guild, it hasn't crossed my mind 😄

But to get confirmation for your "Momo gets stronger real fast" theory, we need some action on Wano first and it doesn't seem that we're getting there any time soon... unless we get a cover story or something. Plus I think we will get the whole Wano nakama package for the end war.

In short, I don't rule out the possibility of Yamato becoming a real nakama, but it's extremely slim at this moment.