Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
I appreciate the trust! My point is that while a shipwright was planned, Franky is a completely different character that replaced the original shipwright at the last moment. I think it's a very reasonable argument that Oda had planned for a character like Bonney, maybe the same role, maybe specifically Kuma's daughter, to join the crew, and he simply made Bonney later and put her in that role, just like Franky.
Afaik, when Oda was showing the original draft of the SH he hid that a fishman was part of the original draft, so it's possible he's hiding another crewmate.

Also some of the members are weird or were all altered like RObin.

Afaik, when Oda was showing the original draft of the SH he hid that a fishman was part of the original draft, so it's possible he's hiding another crewmate.

Also some of the members are weird or were all altered like RObin.

Yeah, plus Robin isn't even in the original plan and the guy on the left got scrapped entirely. The original plan for the crew basically means nothing at this point.

Unrelated, but I think this chapter completely throws out the argument that it makes more sense for Bonney to join the revos. If Kuma believed the hope of the world was Nika, not the revos, then joining Luffy makes WAY more sense.

Questions:

What would be the dream of Bonney ?
What would be the post of Bonney ?
Depending on how the rest of the flashback goes, I would make the case that Bonney might inherit her father's dream, much the same way that Kuma inherited it from his father Klap as a child. I don't think it's a coincidence that we have two separate memories in the same chapter about a parent telling their child about the Sun God Nika and how he would liberate people and bring laughter wherever he went.

As for post, others made the case of Bonney being a lookout. I could also see her being a Gunner or Chief Steward.

Questions:

What would be the dream of Bonney ?
What would be the post of Bonney ?
People worry too much about either of these things, Luffy is not a man who looks at a crew member with a checklist in mind. Ussop has a vague dream of being a brave warrior of the sea, and his role as "sniper" is tenuous at best. Musician is in no way mandatory, but Luffy just wanted one for the hell of it. Jinbie doesn't even have a deadset dream other than generally wanting humans and fishmen to be equal.

If these are required, becoming a hero like Nika (inherited from Kuma) is an obvious dream, and she can slot in as the lookout/spy. Though I can see her just joining the rest of the Grand Fleet.

Depending on how the rest of the flashback goes, I would make the case that Bonney might inherit her father's dream, much the same way that Kuma inherited it from his father Klap as a child. I don't think it's a coincidence that we have two separate memories in the same chapter about a parent telling their child about the Sun God Nika and how he would liberate people and bring laughter wherever he went.
Okay, but what would be the dream ?

As for post, others made the case of Bonney being a lookout. I could also see her being a Gunner or Chief Steward.
Are there any occurences of those in the manga for Bonney ?

People worry too much about either of these things
Dream (or you can also call it deep desire) is central to One Piece, each mugiwara without exception has one. This is what separate them from other crew. In the sence that while being under Luffy's order, each protagonist has his own desire, wishes and path.

Same for the post, this is central to the mugiwara and each mugiwara has one. Their are all linked to the thematic of the characters.

So again, what is the dreams/strong desire that Bonney will have toward the end of the story and what will be her post ?

If these are required, becoming a hero like Nika (inherited from Kuma) is an obvious dream, and she can slot in as the lookout/spy. Though I can see her just joining the rest of the Grand Fleet.
Has any of this been already depicted by Oda for Bonney ?

Okay, but what would be the dream ?

Are there any occurences of those in the manga for Bonney ?

Dream (or you can also call it deep desire) is central to One Piece, each mugiwara without exception has one. This is what separate them from other crew. In the sence that while being under Luffy's order, each protagonist has his own desire, wishes and path.

Same for the post, this is central to the mugiwara and each mugiwara has one. Their are all linked to the thematic of the characters.

So again, what is the dreams/strong desire that Bonney will have toward the end of the story and what will be her post ?

Has any of this been already depicted by Oda for Bonney ?
I mostly agree with this, but the Nika dream isn't any more vague than Ussop or Jinbei's dreams, so if she does inherit that from Kuma, it fits perfectly. The role is my biggest hangup. I agree she definitely needs one. That said, one can be introduced later like Jinbei. Off the top of my head, I think spy works well given her ability to disguise herself, to the point of even being able to infiltrate Mariejoic during the reverie without being discovered. This is probably the most impressive spy or reconnaisance feat in the series, far surpassing any of the cipher pols. It's not an established role, but it's an important job that she has incredible skill at. That could easily be her role.

Edit: now that I think about it, she also used her power to save Zoro from the Celestial dragon in sabaody by turning into a child and pretending to be his little sister, and again when she changed her age to walk right past the marines that were searching for her. Spy is actually a perfect role for her and it's been shown since her introduction.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with this, but the Nika dream isn't any more vague than Ussop or Jinbei's dreams, so if she does inherit that from Kuma, it fits perfectly.
It mostly rely on "one day Nika will take you to the sea". Okay. But after that ?

This is probably the most impressive spy or reconnaisance feat in the series, far surpassing any of the cipher pols. It's not an established role, but it's an important job that she has incredible skill at. That could easily be her role.
Why not but I don't really see how this support the strawhats on the sea tho

I mostly agree with this, but the Nika dream isn't any more vague than Ussop or Jinbei's dreams, so if she does inherit that from Kuma, it fits perfectly. The role is my biggest hangup. I agree she definitely needs one. That said, one can be introduced later like Jinbei. Off the top of my head, I think spy works well given her ability to disguise herself, to the point of even being able to infiltrate Mariejoic during the reverie without being discovered. This is probably the most impressive spy or reconnaisance feat in the series, far surpassing any of the cipher pols. It's not an established role, but it's an important job that she has incredible skill at. That could easily be her role.
Meeting Nika and only learning you were with Nika all this time at Laughtale?..

Role: Police Officer :chopoff::queenhear::usosmug:

It mostly rely on "one day Nika will take you to the sea". Okay. But after that ?

Why not but I don't really see how this support the strawhats on the sea tho
Kuma said he wanted to be a hero like Nika, which presumably means freeing the slaves first and formost. And the strawhats have used some form of espionage in almost every major arc, not sure how you could possibly say it doesn't help them. She also did this twice in sabaody when she saved Zoro from the celestial dragon by turning into a child and pretending to be his little sister, and when she escaped from the marines by turning into an old lady.

Kuma said he wanted to be a hero like Nika, which presumably means freeing the slaves first and formost. And the strawhats have used some form of espionage in almost every major arc, not sure how you could possibly say it doesn't help them. She also did this twice in sabaody when she saved Zoro from the celestial dragon by turning into a child and pretending to be his little sister, and when she escaped from the marines by turning into an old lady.
Yes but this is something related to ground level stuff. It has no link to the life at sea or to attain an objectif at sea.

Granted, Bonney could inherit the dream of Kuma

Yes but this is something related to ground level stuff. It has no link to the life at sea or to attain an objectif at sea.

Granted, Bonney could inherit the dream of Kuma
I mean, it's not a boat specific job, but neither are Zoro or Robin's. If you really want a boat specific scenario, she could easily infiltrate an attacking marine ship by pretending to be a kidnapped child, or act like she did with Zoro in Sabaody to make the strawhats look innocent to passing ships. A spy is actually one of the positions the strawhats need most. In alabasta, Sanji acted as the spy because they never got a picture of him, but Bonney could have done the same role even if they had her picture. In Sabaody she did fill this role for them, and they would have been screwed without her. In Dressrosa it was Kinemon's job, and he got discovered almost immediately, illustrating the need for an actual skilled spy.