Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Law had a connection to Doffy from the start, their Jolly Roger is basically the same. Oda mentioned every character he brings to the story (no matter how minor their role is) already has a backstory in his mind/drafts.
No sure what your point is with this. Law was still a last minute creation meaning Oda came up with the Mingo and D connections on the fly.

Yes this Bonney/Kuma connection was added later to Bonney I believe, because trough the entire Sabaody she didn't react to pacifistas even once or was put near them (it was the SHs, Law and Kid instead). If Oda created Bonney being Kuma's daughter from the beginning he'd definitely wouldn't skip the opportunity to show some crumbs of connection during the arc. But it were Law and Kid busy with pacifista instead.
Bonney was created last minute and was given the Kuma connection from the get go. She never saw Kuma on Sabody but cried upon seeing the Pacifistas in MF. After MF, Akainu said a cold chill went down his spine when he heard Bonney escaped the WG.

I'm curious about the original plans for Kuma.

Actually, I wish Oda never shared the information about what he planned or didn't plan with the reader. It destroys all the "magic" lol. I didn't have to know Ace being Roger's son or Miss Wednesday being a princess is a retcon, etc.
I love them personally lol. Knowing Oda makes things up on the fly and writes battles solely for the purpose of being dramatic and telling a story helps one stay mellow.

No sure what your point is with this. Law was still a last minute creation meaning Oda came up with the Mingo and D connections on the fly.
The point is made on the fly or not unlike with Bonney and Kuma Oda didn't add Doflamingo's connection to Law years later. It was already there when Law first appeared in 2008 with smiley jolly roger plastered all over Heart Pirates.
was given the Kuma connection from the get go.
From the get go? Based on what evidence? There is none.
I'm curious about the original plans for Kuma.
I don't think besides him having Bonney for a daughter much changed. If I had to guess there was probably only "Ginny" character originally whom Kuma loved and who needed to be cured. We could've met her on Egghead in VP's laboratories instead of Bonney or something like that.
She never saw Kuma on Sabody but cried upon seeing the Pacifistas in MF.
Yes Oda never made her meet Pacifistas or Kuma on Sabaody because back then he didn't plan for her to be his daughter yet, so there was no point. And Marineford happened two years after Sabaody ---> he added that Kuma connection to her after Sabaody but before Marineford. Just like he decided Law is going to be a D after Sabaody but before Marineford because Law got all cryptic about "Ds bringing storms" in Marineford (after saving Luffy). Not like any of that matters now, Law is with us for a decade involved with the main plot and Bonney got a backstory with Kuma who is an important character.
I love them personally lol.
I personally don't because when you know where to look you'll notice "imperfections" in Oda's story like with Ace's mother being pregnant with him for two years turned out was not for the silly dramatic effect but simply for the timeline to work so Ace could be Roger's son (we knew for a while already Roger died two years before Ace was born, he couldn't be his father). I'd rather not to know where exactly to dig to find a "retcon" lol.

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
The guy who said that Bonney is getting carried by Kuma story, is having a big true moment. Shes just the emotional backdrop to Kumas story, its a rebecca, a carrot, a shiraoshi, a vivi, but on steroids

Beware of the arc princess archtype, shes just there to pull on your heartstrings, Oda has been doing this since the time skip
I've wisened up enough to not trust any potential "hints" in the story of a new character joining specifically because of Oda's habits. It would be cool, of course, Bonney is a really fun character, but until it happens and it's FULLY confirmed, I don't trust it one bit :kayneshrug:

The guy who said that Bonney is getting carried by Kuma story, is having a big true moment. Shes just the emotional backdrop to Kumas story, its a rebecca, a carrot, a shiraoshi, a vivi, but on steroids

Beware of the arc princess archtype, shes just there to pull on your heartstrings, Oda has been doing this since the time skip
Ya'll call anyone the "arc princess" if people think they'll join just to gatekeep. Yamato wasn't an arc princess and neither is Bonney. She may well not join the crew, but the arc princess is there to be Luffy's connection to the current conflict, not just the villain themselves. That's why Momo was the arc princess role in Wano rather than Yamato, and Bonney is more like Law's role in Dressrosa. She has absolutely nothing to do with Kizaru and Saturn showing up to kill Vegapunk, just like Law had nothing to do with the situation in dressrosa. She's here just for revenge, a completely seperate goal from Luffy and the rest

Ya'll call anyone the "arc princess" if people think they'll join just to gatekeep. Yamato wasn't an arc princess and neither is Bonney. She may well not join the crew, but the arc princess is there to be Luffy's connection to the current conflict, not just the villain themselves. That's why Momo was the arc princess role in Wano rather than Yamato, and Bonney is more like Law's role in Dressrosa. She has absolutely nothing to do with Kizaru and Saturn showing up to kill Vegapunk, just like Law had nothing to do with the situation in dressrosa. She's here just for revenge, a completely seperate goal from Luffy and the rest
That I can totally underline! 👍

CoC: Color of Clowns

Rest in Peace and Shine in Light
I think it's hilarious that Kizaru for nakama is unironically more likely than half the candidates we talk about here. It's not happening, but at least it's less crazy than Lucci, Caribou, Carrot, Pedro, or the theoretical giant Carrot4nakama made up.:milaugh:
#AncientGiantRobot4Nakama

I can't believe it got so bad people are pushing characters that don't even exist. Wano ruined us.

I wouldn't go as far as to include Vivi in this list lol (while being a literal princess Vivi's also the Straw Hat's friend and shares a deep bond with them and Oda keeps reminding us of that even decades already passed. I'm saying this when I'm not even in the Vivi for the final nakama camp. I don't want it but I can see it) but yeah if to simplify Bonney is an "arc princess" to add an emotional weight to Kuma's story. The flashback only solidified that to me because it was undeniable Kuma's flashback/story with Bonney playing a supportive role in it not the other way around.
It is still soon to say yet and I might change my mind as more chapters are out but as things look now I think we'll part ways with Bonney after Egghead ends/Kuma situation resolves/the SHs help her to escape. It is not like with Law during Punk Hazard for example where it was obvious the arc is just a prelude to the next one and we got only more questions about him (and Doffy) but no answers yet. And Oda isn't tryharding to nakama bait you this time either took a break from the last time :suresure:.

Post and sad backstory?

Backstory: was turned into a robot in the past by Saturn, like Kuma, and was a member of Joy Boy's crew.

Also, I think you can be an arc princess without it harming your chances of joining. Vivi and Yamato both have princess titles, and have crew invites they haven't accepted due to personal circumstances regarding their homelands. Then you've got characters like Rebecca who never made sense joining at any point.

The character needs to have that sense of adventure.

God damn it I hate when I start coughing and I sound like a Seagull.

Backstory: was turned into a robot in the past by Saturn, like Kuma, and was a member of Joy Boy's crew.

Also, I think you can be an arc princess without it harming your chances of joining. Vivi and Yamato both have princess titles, and have crew invites they haven't accepted due to personal circumstances regarding their homelands. Then you've got characters like Rebecca who never made sense joining at any point.

Nami, Robin, and arguably Zoro and Brook were arc princess types as well but they still joined. It's a dumb argument to begin with.

What about it's dream? You forgot the dream!!!

.. is it a he or a she ... forget it - it must be a she. She is definitely sleeping with Robin and Nami.

Just take it as your ring-tone. I laugh like a guinea-pig, which makes people loose their composure.

I'm just relaying a pattern i noticed with Oda with female emotional background characters in One Piece, i'm starting to believe that having protagonism in an arc, is relevant but not that important, i don't feel like Jimbei was the relevant part of "his" arc or even that he had an arc about him.

I'm not going to theorycraft anything, my standards are role and dream ( and even the dream can be anything), if she joins whatever, but i edging my bets on not, but if anything the odds are stacked agaisnt me since people think protagonism in an arc is important /flashback etc, we'll see.

Nami, Robin, and arguably Zoro and Brook were arc princess types as well but they still joined. It's a dumb argument to begin with.
Even Franky, lol.

"Once upon a time there was a beautiful swordsman named Princess Zoro. Princess Zoro was so beautiful, that when the Prince Sanji saw Princess Zoro, he died. The end."

"Bone White and the Eight Pirates."

I'm just relaying a pattern i noticed with Oda with female emotional background characters in One Piece, i'm starting to believe that having protagonism in an arc, is relevant but not that important, i don't feel like Jimbei was the relevant part of "his" arc or even that he had an arc about him.

I'm not going to theorycraft anything, my standards are role and dream ( and even the dream can be anything), if she joins whatever, but i edging my bets on not, but if anything the odds are stacked agaisnt me since people think protagonism in an arc is important /flashback etc, we'll see.
What do you think about Marineford and Jinbe. How do your feel about Jinbe's relevance there?

To me, Fishman island does not feel that much like a Jinbe arc. But Marineford somehow does. And I think this just gets overlooked because of Luffy having so much focus in it as well... .:kayneshrug: