Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Bonney not being planned ahead of time shouldn't disqualify her anymore than it did Franky or Robin. Who weren't early concepts either. Or how Ussop, Brook and Chopper are vastly different than their original concepts. Zoro was originally apart of Buggy's crew, and maybe the plan was to always have him switch sides, who knows except Oda. But from the old sketches we know who was always meant to be strawhats.

The original 4 from East Blue. Brook, Chopper and Jinbe. Everyone else was either merged into existing characters or cast to the void of Oda's imagination.
Franky, and Robin especially were early concepts. Oda originally planned for the timeskip to end with 10 SHs, Jinbe being the last one. Robin was revealed in 1999 were concept art dating back to 1998, and took the concept of a plant lover from Oda's draft. There was a tall dude with a flashy design in those early concepts that became Franky, and Franky was a cyborg and shipwright, two things also present in Oda's drafts.

Bonney on the other hand never crossed Oda's mind until an editor's comment in 2009, and was created within a week with 8 others. Without that comment, Bonney probably wouldn't even exist.

Her personal story arc has echoes of Franky, Sanji, and Robin. Her arc holds emotional weight and has ties to the wider issues plaguing the story.

These facts shouldn't be ignored.
This describes so many other characters though. This doesn't make Bonney special.

I never said "deep connections" is the only reason for Bonney to join, that's just the only point in her favor that you objected to. Vivi has way deeper connections to the crew than Bonney, obviously.

As for the rest, I won't complain if you don't want to respond, I was just responding to you claiming I was somehow playing a victim and saying you're right about this because of Yamato. But hey, if you want to say you and CarrotforNakama are both smart for the same reason, more power to you. I guess he must be right about a giant named Thor joining in Elbaf since he also said Yamato wouldn't join.
I repeat: don't drag me into your Carrot for Nakama ptsd. Write him a DM and solve your issues or something.

Franky, and Robin especially were early concepts. Oda originally planned for the timeskip to end with 10 SHs, Jinbe being the last one. Robin was revealed in 1999 were concept art dating back to 1998, and took the concept of a plant lover from Oda's draft. There was a tall dude with a flashy design in those early concepts that became Franky, and Franky was a cyborg and shipwright, two things also present in Oda's drafts.

Bonney on the other hand never crossed Oda's mind until an editor's comment in 2009, and was created within a week with 8 others. Without that comment, Bonney probably wouldn't even exist.

This describes so many other characters though. This doesn't make Bonney special.

Aren't you conflating several concepts at once?

The lanky cyborg was the botanist. If that guy was a prototype it was for both Franky and Robin and in which case he ended up visually nor occupationally matching either

The shipwright became the spirit of the Merry.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Aren't you conflating several concepts at once?

The lanky cyborg was the botanist. If that guy was a prototype it was for both Franky and Robin and in which case he ended up visually nor occupationally matching either

The shipwright became the spirit of the Merry.
Franky is the shipwright.

And no and I'm conflating anything. The tall lanky botanist with the Hawaiian shirt...the plant part was given to Robin while the design concept became Franky. Nami was originally gonna have a cybernetic arm but the cyber element was given to Franky.

There was also a small Fishman shipwright in Oda's SH drafts. The small size was given to Chopper, the ship role given to Franky, and the Fishman part obviously given to Jinbe.

This shows that Oda doesn't abandon his SH concepts and constantly finds a way to bring it to the offical crew. I don't see any old concept that was given to Bonney.

Franky is the shipwright.

And no and I'm conflating anything. The tall lanky botanist with the Hawaiian shirt...the plant part was given to Robin while the design concept became Franky. Nami was originally gonna have a cybernetic arm but the cyber element was given to Franky.

There was also a small Fishman shipwright in Oda's SH drafts. The small size was given to Chopper, the ship role given to Franky, and the Fishman part obviously given to Jinbe.

This shows that Oda doesn't abandon his SH concepts and constantly finds a way to bring it to the offical crew. I don't see any old concept that was given to Bonney.
This is nonsense. Just because early concepts were later used for parts of new characters doesn't make the new characters early concepts, unless you really want to argue that Nami with an axe was an early design of Franky. His character, his story his personality, his abilities, all were invented during skypeia, just one arc before he was introduced, purely to bring back Mr. 2's voice actor in the anime. The shipwright was going to be the spirit of Merry instead, and you can see that in the early concept art. Franky was 100% a last minute character according to Oda. And Jinbei was not supposed to join the crew. He was supposed to be the big boss of the fishman island arc, and Oda later combined him with the fishman he planned for the crew. It's totally possible that Oda always planned for Kuma's daughter to join the crew and later decided to make her one of the supernova, or something along those lines.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
This is nonsense. Just because early concepts were later used for parts of new characters doesn't make the new characters early concepts, unless you really want to argue that Nami with an axe was an early design of Franky. His character, his story his personality, his abilities, all were invented during skypeia, just one arc before he was introduced, purely to bring back Mr. 2's voice actor in the anime. The shipwright was going to be the spirit of Merry instead, and you can see that in the early concept art. Franky was 100% a last minute character according to Oda. And Jinbei was not supposed to join the crew. He was supposed to be the big boss of the fishman island arc, and Oda later combined him with the fishman he planned for the crew. It's totally possible that Oda always planned for Kuma's daughter to join the crew and later decided to make her one of the supernova, or something along those lines.
This only matters if it was only the concept of the Supernovas that was a last minute idea, and that Oda already had a rough idea of them and decided to speed up their introduction.

All we know is that an editor passed the idea of Luffy having rivals and started their journey simultaneously with Oda, and Oda came up with the Supernova within a week. Could this mean Oda some of them already thought up in his drafts and used that opportunity to introduce them? Absolutely.

This only matters if it was only the concept of the Supernovas that was a last minute idea, and that Oda already had a rough idea of them and decided to speed up their introduction.

All we know is that an editor passed the idea of Luffy having rivals and started their journey simultaneously with Oda, and Oda came up with the Supernova within a week. Could this mean Oda some of them already thought up in his drafts and used that opportunity to introduce them? Absolutely.
True, but given how oda had erased Jinbei from the concept art of the crew and only released the version with him after he joined, there's no reason to assume there aren't early concepts of Bonney as well.

I never said "deep connections" is the only reason for Bonney to join, that's just the only point in her favor that you objected to. Vivi has way deeper connections to the crew than Bonney, obviously.

As for the rest, I won't complain if you don't want to respond, I was just responding to you claiming I was somehow playing a victim and saying you're right about this because of Yamato. But hey, if you want to say you and CarrotforNakama are both smart for the same reason, more power to you. I guess he must be right about a giant named Thor joining in Elbaf since he also said Yamato wouldn't join.
I did not say that Thor will join, I said that there will be a ThorForNakama train during or after Elbaf :shocking:
We can't escape Nakama trains

Kizaruber Eats

Life's coin always has two sides; flip it wisely.
:milaugh::milaugh::milaugh::milaugh::cheers:

Would you be Agent B for Backstab or T for Traitor?

:catblush::catblush::catblush::catblush::catblush::catblush:

Men in Black had a future traitor storylines too....

Now I think about it too....wouldnt an alien make a great new nakama for the crew? Given how much Oda loves space and sci-fi, we've seen alien life on the moon and the SHs have some great diversity on the crew, so an alien would add to that too greatly?

I used to wish Vegapunk would be an alien and thus maybe an alien connected to him could join the crew? Like his satellites if they were aliens too? Or an assistant? An Alient Ant Assistant/Farmer maybe? (Bonney are you ok, are you ok Bonnie, Saturn came in through the portal, there was a sound of "let my daddy go!...."

Seriously though after all these recently developments for Bonney id love to have her on the crew and ironically despite Tama and Momo not joining and the issue of a child on the crew, if she joined, there would be a child on the crew anyway then lol. But given all the controversies with Bonney, thats probably not a good idea she does join then ofc...I really want another female SH on the crew and a logia too....I dont know why Oda couldnt just have given us that with Monet and she had the astronomy so it would tie into a space arc, into space travel perfectly! Also a role for the crew, lookout/astronomer?

Oda did Carrot and Yamato so unforgivably dirty and although I am genuinely, seriously, deeply for Kizaru 4 Nakama too, i am praying if we dont get anymore SHs this arc especially a female one, that we get one in Elbaf FINALLY and hopefully a female one and a Logia too! *Prays for a female giant with a Logia, maybe the wind or oil fruit to join lmfao*