Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets have some fun, fill out the alphabet pattern with your favorite characters:
AB Brook CD Chopper EF Franky GH ????? IJ Jinbe KL Luffy
MN Nami OP ????? QR Robin ST Sanji UV Usopp WX ????? YZ Zoro

Known characters with those starting letters
G Gaimon, Garp, Gaburu, Galdino, Gem, Genbo, Gerd, Goldberg, Gilteo, Giberson, Ginrummy, Gina, Gambia, Gatz, Gedatsu, Gazelleman, Giovanni, Giolla, Gladius, Gion, Gotti, Gyro, Gyaro, Goki, Galette, Gala
H Homing, Hawkins, Hitetsu, Hiyori, Hancock, Hatcha, Hamlet, Hammond, Hack, Hajrudin, Hamburg, Hangan, Hanji, Hannyabal, Hanzo, Happygun, Harisenbon, Haredas, Haruta, Heat, Hatchan, Hina, Helmeppo, Heppoko, Hera, Heracles, Hewitt, Hiramera, Hogback, Holdem, Hotei, Hyogoro, Hotori, Hyouzou, Hyoutaurus, Hyota, Hachee, Harumeg

O Opera, Oven, Orochi, Oars Jr, Ohm, Octopako, Oimo, Okame, Okome, Omasa, Onigumo
P Pez, Pizarro, Peclo, Packy, Pagaya, Palms, Pekoms, Pedro, Pansy, Paulie, Pound, Porche, Pell, Pappag, Pascia, Patty, Pearl, Pavlik, Pekkori, Perona, Pica, Peppoko, Penguin, Peterman, Pickles, Piiman, Pisaro, Poppoko, Poppy, Puppu, Perospero, Praline, Panna, Poire, Prim, Pudding

W Water Law, Weevil, Wadatsumi, Wire, Wyper, Wanda, Wanze, Wapol, Wallem, Warashi, Wica, Wafers, Wiro
X Drake
Galdino, Perona, Wyper.

:cheers:

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
@Davidsuxx, @dizzy2341, @Luffy is the mc.

Ace was Yamato's beloved friend:

Ace helped her remove the shackles Kaido placed on her heart:

He later offered her a position aboard his ship but she couldn't go with him because of her shackles.

She swore to him that if she ever got those shackles off, she'll set out to sea too:

Giving her promise to Ace, I don't see Yamato remaining on Wano.

Now, as for who Yamato would leave Wano with.

Could it be the Pirate she's been eagerly awaiting for years?

Or maybe it's the Pirate with whom she shared her life story?

It could also be the Pirate she asked for permission to fight alongside?

Or perhaps, the Pirate that reminds her of Ace:

Or is it the Pirate that she asked to let her board his ship?

Or the Pirate who removed the shackles that Ace could not remove?

Shackles that had imprisoned her for 20 years?

Or is it the Pirate who gave her a pet nickname?

It could simply be the Pirate she's taken orders from?

Nay it must be the Pirate that Ace told her of:

Perhaps the Pirate whose very meeting she considers fate?

Or the Pirate she believes to be the prophesied saviour?

No, it must be the only Pirate she's actually shown worry and concern for?

Last edited:
@Davidsuxx, @dizzy2341, @Luffy is the mc.

Ace was Yamato's beloved friend:

Ace helped her remove the shackles Kaido placed on her heart:

He later offered her a position aboard his ship but she couldn't go with him because of her shackles.

She swore to him that if she ever got those shackles off, she'll set out to sea too:

Giving her promise to Ace, I don't see Yamato remaining on Wano.

(Please don’t tag me in the future I don’t care enough to argue about it all the time)

1. Ace made a similar promise to Tama

2.Yamato has shown devotion to Momo as well, as I showed in a previous post

3. Yamato still has not been shown to fulfill any specific role, meanwhile carrot has
4. luffy ignored her request and mocked her for pretending to be Oden (ch 985)

5. carrot has also taken orders from luffy

6. “Yamao”
Quote from oda: "Well, Luffy is the kind of guy who doesn't want to remember any names because he doesn't care, so he makes up a name based on the respective person's look. But when someone joins his crew, he makes sure to remember their name properly,"

7. Carrot has also shown concern for luffy, here’s just one example

Also, Yamato was introduced halfway through an arc and had all that info basically done in a speed run. I still think she’s a red herring and my mind probably won’t change until we see more of her story unfold. If she joins I’ll take my L but as of right now I don’t believe it

Last edited:
6. “Yamao”
Quote from oda: "Well, Luffy is the kind of guy who doesn't want to remember any names because he doesn't care, so he makes up a name based on the respective person's look.

Just about this part, how does "Yamao" fit this description? Im not a japanese speaker so maybe someone explain.
But when someone joins his crew, he makes sure to remember their name properly,"
And this part basically means it doesent matter anyway

Just about this part, how does "Yamao" fit this description? Im not a japanese speaker so maybe someone explain.

And this part basically means it doesent matter anyway
it doesn’t, but I was mainly referring to the first half of the quote. Yamato’s situation is similar to Hancock (hammock), where luffy has been explicitly told her name but still calls her something else and doesn’t bother to correct it. Correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know he hasn’t done this to any of the straw hats. He’s only called them other things before he knows their actual name

and the point isn’t that the nickname is solid proof of Yamato not joining, I’m just saying it isn’t a “pet name” or a point in her favor

I think this is a good argument. It's a plausible scenario and one I can see happening. The possibility of a scenario like this has made me slightly revise down my confidence in Yamato leaving aboard Luffy's ship.

I don't have any arguments against the scenario itself, I just don't think it's that likely.
In light of this, what's your response to Carrot's role post Wano? You acknowledge my argument for Yamao as a plausible scenario and although obviously considering it unlikely, you can't actually fault anything about it.

So in turn what do you think Carrot will do after Wano if she doesn't join the straw hats? I find this to be yet another point in support of Carrot joining, since unlike Yamao who has different outcomes, there's only one outcome that makes sense for Carrot's character. And that's of course joining the straw hats.

it doesn’t, but I was mainly referring to the first half of the quote. Yamato’s situation is similar to Hancock (hammock), where luffy has been explicitly told her name but still calls her something else and doesn’t bother to correct it. Correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know he hasn’t done this to any of the straw hats. He’s only called them other things before he knows their actual name

and the point isn’t that the nickname is solid proof of Yamato not joining, I’m just saying it isn’t a “pet name” or a point in her favor
I’m pretty sure he called Chopper reindeer multiple times after learning his name.

In light of this, what's your response to Carrot's role post Wano? You acknowledge my argument for Yamao as a plausible scenario and although obviously considering it unlikely, you can't actually fault anything about it.

So in turn what do you think Carrot will do after Wano if she doesn't join the straw hats? I find this to be yet another point in support of Carrot joining, since unlike Yamao who has different outcomes, there's only one outcome that makes sense for Carrot's character. And that's of course joining the straw hats.
Only one way for Carrot? To join the Strawhats? What a load of shit. No point ever debating with you because everything you add is caked in bias.

Carrot can be the new Captain of the Noxx Pirate and sails under sh's flag as a member of the grandfleet. Or maybe there will be another new captain of the Noxx pirate such as Wanda or Sicillian and Carrot is a part of Noxx pirate crew.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
1. Ace made a similar promise to Tama

My point wasn't just about the promise:
  1. Ace actually asked Yamato to join the crew.
    • Yamato had to decline due to the shackles restraining her, shackles that Luffy removed.
    • Ace never asked Tama to join his crew, and Tama has not yet become an enchanting Kunoichi. Trying to equate Ace's propositions to Yamato and Tama is disingenuous at best.
  2. Yamato in turn promised Ace that she will set out to sea once her handcuffs have been removed.

Given Yamato's promise to Ace, there's no reason to believe she'll remain in Wano after the arc ends.

2.Yamato has shown devotion to Momo as well, as I showed in a previous post

No, not really.

She only started protecting Momonosuke because Luffy asked her to:
Had Luffy not told her to, she wouldn't have done it. She wasn't even sure whether she was allowed to ("can I?").

Luffy told Shinobu to trust her:

She told Franky that Luffy left her in charge of them:

She abandoned Momonosuke without even guaranteeing his safety in order to fight Kaido:

Once she realised Luffy was in facing Kaido in a 1 vs 1, she decided that she had to hurry up:

Yamato's developments with Momonosuke are done, but more than that:
  • She only decided to protect him on Luffy's orders.
    • Once Kinemon was freed to protect Momonosuke, Oda had her immediately abandon him, without even verifying his safety.
  • Her interactions with Momonosuke were perfunctory to satisfy certain roles:
    • It helped develop her character, with her explaining why she so much adored the life of Oden, showing her resolve and proudly declaring that her name is Yamato.
    • It allowed us to witness her flashback with Ace. Yamato and Ace may have had more dialogue together than Yamato and Momonosuke.
    • It allowed her to hand Momonosuke his father's journal.

Yamato has completed her interactions with Momonosuke. This is emphasised by the fact that — quite uncharacteristically I might add — she abandoned Momonosuke without verifying his safety so she could go and fight her father.

3. Yamato still has not been shown to fulfill any specific role, meanwhile carrot has
She can be:
  • The combatant.
  • The chronicler/log keeper.
  • The brewer.

I don't think fulfilling a role is important; the Strawhats made it as far as WCI without Jimbe. I don't think the lack of an apparent role is what will stop a Strawhat from joining; Jimbe was not asked to join Luffy's crew to become the Helmsman.

4. Luffy ignored her request and mocked her for pretending to be Oden (ch 985)
She still asked Luffy to join his crew.

Notably, Ace also asked her to join his crew.

5. carrot has also taken orders from luffy

7. Carrot has also shown concern for luffy, here’s just one example
A
I'm not — I have never actually — argued against Carrot's candidacy. I don't really think it's either-or. I don't think Carrot joining precludes Yamato from joining.

"But Carrot did this too" is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. I'm discussing Yamato not Carrot.

6. “Yamao”
Quote from oda: "Well, Luffy is the kind of guy who doesn't want to remember any names because he doesn't care, so he makes up a name based on the respective person's look. But when someone joins his crew, he makes sure to remember their name properly,"
Fair enough.

Yamato was introduced halfway through an arc and had all that info basically done in a speed run.
She was introduced at the very beginning of Onigashima, and has been built up as an ideal crew mate, both through her interactions with Luffy and her interactions with Ace.

I still think she’s a red herring and my mind probably won’t change until we see more of her story unfold. If she joins I’ll take my L but as of right now I don’t believe it
So you completely missed my argument.

My argument was twofold:
  1. Yamato promised Ace that when her shackles are removed she'll set out to sea.
    • Therefore Yamato will leave Wano after the arc ends.
  2. Yamato has extensive build-up with Luffy — and exclusively with Luffy — to join his crew.
    • Therefore Yamato is leaving aboard Luffy's ship.

You didn't actually address the above argument — like at all — you never directly engaged with the core argument.

Last edited:
Carrot can be the new Captain of the Noxx Pirate and sails under sh's flag as a member of the grandfleet.
Carrot's not a leader. Every single member of the fleet bar none was already an established leader of some sorts or had clearly stated ambitions to lead others throughout the arc. Carrot's nothing like that at all.

Not to mention there are already multiple minks that outrank her.
Or maybe there will be another new captain of the Noxx pirate such as Wanda or Sicillian and Carrot is a part of Noxx pirate crew.
That would mean that Carrot would be of less significance than Orlumbus as he would be a division commander whilst she'd just be a foot soldier. That makes no sense. Not to mention no minks other than Carrot have shown any interest in sailing. Furthermore, why would she even leave the straw hats and their adventure in the first place? Characters like Vivi, Kin e'mon and Law all only travelled with the straw hats because they had a very specific purpose. Carrot joined for adventure. But the crew's adventure isn't over...So why would she just hop off mid way to go join a random bunch of unnamed minks for a totally unknown purpose?

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
In light of this, what's your response to Carrot's role post Wano?
I'm not — I have never actually — argued against Carrot's candidacy. I don't really think it's either-or. I don't think Carrot joining precludes Yamato from joining.
To be frank, I'm only in this thread to discuss Yamato (and sometimes Law's) candidacy. I'm not even informed enough on Carrot to have a useful debate/discussion on her candidacy.

I wouldn't care if Carrot joined the crew, but I wouldn't care if she didn't either.

I'm not the right person to discuss Carrot's candidacy with. I don't care for her character and don't have an informed take on it. I'm also not arguing against her candidacy.

Carrot saving Luffy will make me think Carrot joining is more likely — because that's the kind of development I can see for a next nakama — but it's not exactly the kind of thing I put any thought into.

I know some people here are debating Carrot vs Yamato, but I'm not a part of that debate. I only want to discuss "Yamato: Yay or Nay?".

I don't consider myself to have an informed opinion on Carrot, and it's not like I would care if Carrot joined the crew. The only case would be if you asked me if I had to choose between Carrot or Yamato I would choose Carrot, but that goes without saying as she's my second favourite character in the series (and by far my favourite female character).

You acknowledge my argument for Yamao as a plausible scenario and although obviously considering it unlikely, you can't actually fault anything about it.
Well, I don't agree that I can't fault things with it. The issues I have with it are why I think it's unlikely.

I don't think Yamato's developments with Momonosuke are anywhere near as extensive as her developments with Luffy:
No, not really.

She only started protecting Momonosuke because Luffy asked her to:
Had Luffy not told her to, she wouldn't have done it. She wasn't even sure whether she was allowed to ("can I?").

Luffy told Shinobu to trust her:
She told Franky that Luffy left her in charge of them:
She abandoned Momonosuke without even guaranteeing his safety in order to fight Kaido:
Once she realised Luffy was in facing Kaido in a 1 vs 1, she decided that she had to hurry up:
Yamato's developments with Momonosuke are done, but more than that:
  • She only decided to protect him on Luffy's orders.
    • Once Kinemon was freed to protect Momonosuke, Oda had her immediately abandon him, without even verifying his safety.
  • Her interactions with Momonosuke were perfunctory to satisfy certain roles:
    • It helped develop her character, with her explaining why she so much adored the life of Oden, showing her resolve and proudly declaring that her name is Yamato.
    • It allowed us to witness her flashback with Ace. Yamato and Ace may have had more dialogue together than Yamato and Momonosuke.
    • It allowed her to hand Momonosuke his father's journal.

Yamato has completed her interactions with Momonosuke. This is emphasised by the fact that — quite uncharacteristically I might add — she abandoned Momonosuke without verifying his safety so she could go and fight her father.
And by God, her developments to leave Wano with Luffy are pretty extensive:

If it's a question of Yamato leaving Wano with Luffy vs Yamato leaving Wano with Momonosuke, I think the former is a lot more likely. The latter can happen, but it's less likely than the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.