Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point wasn't just about the promise:
  1. Ace actually asked Yamato to join the crew.
    • Yamato had to decline due to the shackles restraining her, shackles that Luffy removed.
    • Ace never asked Tama to join his crew, and Tama has not yet become an enchanting Kunoichi. Trying to equate Ace's propositions to Yamato and Tama is disingenuous at best.
  2. Yamato in turn promised Ace that she will set out to sea once her handcuffs have been removed.

Given Yamato's promise to Ace, there's no reason to believe she'll remain in Wano after the arc ends.

No not really.

She only started protecting Momonosuke because Luffy asked her to:
Had Luffy not told her to, she wouldn't have done it. She wasn't even sure whether she was allowed to ("can I?").

Luffy told Shinobu to trust her:

She told Franky that Luffy left her in charge of them:

She abandoned Momonosuke without even guaranteeing his safety in order to fight Kaido:

Once she realised Luffy was in facing Kaido in a 1 vs 1, she decided that she had to hurry up:

Yamato's developments with Momonosuke are done, but more than that:
  • She only decided to protect him on Luffy's orders.
    • Once Kinemon was freed to protect Momonosuke, Oda had her immediately abandon him, without even verifying his safety.
  • Her interactions with Momonosuke were perfunctory to satisfy certain roles:
    • It helped develop her character, with her explaining why she so much adored the life of Oden, showing her resolve and proudly declaring that her name is Yamato.
    • It allowed us to witness her flashback with Ace. Yamato and Ace may have had more dialogue together than Yamato and Momonosuke.
    • It allowed her to hand Momonosuke his father's journal.

Yamato has completed her interactions with Ace. this is emphasised by the fact that — quite uncharacteristically I might add — she abandoned Momonosuke without verifying his safety so she could go and fight her father.

She can be:
  • The combatant.
  • The chronicler/log keeper.
  • The brewer.

I don't think fulfilling a role is important; the Strawhats made it as far as WCI without Jimbe. I don't think the lack of an apparent role is what will stop a Strawhat from joining; Jimbe was not asked to join Luffy's crew to become the Helmsman.

She still asked Luffy to join his crew.

Notably, Ace also asked her to join his crew.

I'm not — I have never actually — argued against Carrot's candidacy. I don't really think it's either or. I don't think Carrot joining precludes Yamato from joining.

"But Carrot did this to" is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. I'm discussing Yamato not Carrot.

Fair enough.

She was introduced at the very beginning of Onigashima, and has been built up as an ideal crew mate, both through her interactions with Luffy and her interactions with Ace.

So you completely missed my argument.

My argument was two fold:
  1. Yamato promised Ace that when her shackles are removed she'll set out to sea.
    • Therefore Yamato will leave Wano after the arc ends.
  2. Yamato has extensive build-up with Luffy — and exclusively with Luffy — to join his crew.
    • Therefore Yamato is leaving aboard Luffy's ship.

You didn't actually address the above argument — like at all — you never directly engaged with the core argument.
I believe there’s only one more SH, so all of my arguments are based on that assumption which is why I brought carrot up.

im not arguing that Yamato will stay on Wano. I think she’ll leave in some capacity whether temporarily or permanently, I just don’t believe it’ll be as a SH.

I don’t agree with the “momo wasn’t safe” argument. I think the panels make it pretty clear that they’re out of danger for the time being.

I think Yamato being concerned for luffy and wanting to join the fight goes back to the idea presented in Wano where someone said “in a 1 on 1 bet on kaido”. Yamato knows her father better than anyone so of course she would agree with that sentiment (and now we know she’s right because he lost). But if you look back at Sanji and zoro’s thoughts on luffy’s fight, their opinions are very different. They put their faith in luffy and Yamato has kind of done the opposite, so it doesn’t seem very SH like.

as I said before, to me ”let me board your ship” is very different from “let me join your crew”

You can say the role isnt important, but all SHs have one whether it was crucial or not; and they were all shown explicitly performing those roles early on. none of those proposed roles have explicitly been shown in the story. (We’ve never seen or heard about Yamato writing anything)
And combatant is zoro’s role

she may have been hinted at earlier but she didn’t physically appear in the narrative until the raid.

I agree Yamato has build up with luffy, thats indisputable. However I dont

Are there any substantial arguments for Carrot not tagging along?

She has factually not avenged Pedro yet to begin with. She is living a fantastic adventure as well.
Even after all that happened, I’m just not sure of Luffy has developed a particularly close friendship with Carrot. A major reason I feel that way is because Luffy didn’t defeat Jack at Zou and I’m unsure if he’ll be the one to defeat Perospero.

Carrot's not a leader. Every single member of the fleet bar none was already an established leader of some sorts or had clearly stated ambitions to lead others throughout the arc. Carrot's nothing like that at all.

Not to mention there are already multiple minks that outrank her.

That would mean that Carrot would be of less significance than Orlumbus as he would be a division commander whilst she'd just be a foot soldier. That makes no sense. Not to mention no minks other than Carrot have shown any interest in sailing. Furthermore, why would she even leave the straw hats and their adventure in the first place? Characters like Vivi, Kin e'mon and Law all only travelled with the straw hats because they had a very specific purpose. Carrot joined for adventure. But the crew's adventure isn't over...So why would she just hop off mid way to go join a random bunch of unnamed minks for a totally unknown purpose?
Well I was just pointing the possibilities of what she will become after Wano aside of joining the crew. And even with those minks outranking her, she can just potentially grow stronger than them (with the dukes as exception maybe) as she is still very young and already that strong. And even if she is just a member of the Noxx pirate, she can be more significant than some of the grandfleet captains. It is just a matter of how she will be written later in the future. I mean look as Tasighi, she is just a captain in the navy but she is more significant in the story than Vice admiral Dobberman for example.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I’m pretty sure he called Chopper reindeer multiple times after learning his name.
Do you have any panels?

I believe there’s only one more SH, so all of my arguments are based on that assumption which is why I brought carrot up.
That's fair, but it still doesn't address my argument. My argument was:
  1. Yamato is going to leave Wano
    1. She promised Ace that she would
  2. Yamato can only leave Wano with Luffy
"But Carrot" has no bearing on the above. Even if you think Carrot is the last member, it doesn't actually address the above.

im not arguing that Yamato will stay on Wano. I think she’ll leave in some capacity whether temporarily or permanently, I just don’t believe it’ll be as a SH.
She can only leave Wano as a Strawhat. That's the point of the below post (that you didn't actually address):
Now, as for who Yamato would leave Wano with.

Could it be the Pirate she's been eagerly awaiting for years?

Or maybe it's the Pirate with whom she shared her life story?
It could also be the Pirate she asked for permission to fight alongside?

Or perhaps, the Pirate that reminds her of Ace:

Or is it the Pirate that she asked to let her board his ship?

Or the Pirate who removed the shackles that Ace could not remove?

Shackles that had imprisoned her for 20 years?

It could simply be the Pirate she's taken orders from?

Nay it must be the Pirate that Ace told her of:

Perhaps the Pirate whose very meeting she considers fate?

Or the Pirate she believes to be the prophesied saviour?

No, it must be the only Pirate she's actually shown worry and concern for?

I don’t agree with the “momo wasn’t safe” argument. I think the panels make it pretty clear that they’re out of danger for the time being.
She had not personally verified Momo's safety. They weren't in current danger, but it's not like she knew Momo would never be in danger again during the Raid.

But that isn't my point. You claim that she's personally devoted to Momo, but she only protected Momo because Luffy told her too, and once Momo was out of danger, she abandoned him to go and fight Kaido and help Luffy.

Even while protecting Momo, Yamato's priority was helping Luffy. The argument that she's personally devoted to Momo thus fails.

But if you look back at Sanji and zoro’s thoughts on luffy’s fight, their opinions are very different. They put their faith in luffy and Yamato has kind of done the opposite, so it doesn’t seem very SH like.
This cannot be an argument against her. Unless you think Yamato is going to defeat Kaido herself, she'll actually put her faith in Luffy towards the end of the fight.

as I said before, to me ”let me board your ship” is very different from “let me join your crew”
Are you actually hearing yourself? You're literally arguing that Yamato asking Luffy to let her board his ship is not a request to join the Strawhat Pirates?

Oden asked Whitebeard to let him ride on his ship:

I guess that Oden never really asked to join the Whitebeard Pirates.
:seriously:

And combatant is zoro’s role
Zoro could (and actually should) become the first mate/vice captain.

You can say the role isnt important, but all SHs have one whether it was crucial or not; and they were all shown explicitly performing those roles early on. none of those proposed roles have explicitly been shown in the story. (We’ve never seen or heard about Yamato writing anything)
Yamato did read Oden's journal. We haven't seen Yamato writing anything because Yamato had nothing to write; she's been a prisoner for the last 20 years.

Anyway, I expect "combatant" to become Yamato's role, and I don't actually think role matters.

she may have been hinted at earlier but she didn’t physically appear in the narrative until the raid.
She appeared since the beginning of Onigashima, and I don't think this is any sort of argument against her.

I agree Yamato has build up with luffy, thats indisputable. However I dont
I think you didn't complete this sentence.

Do you have any panels?

"But Carrot" has no bearing on the above. Even if you think Carrot is the last member, it doesn't actually address the above.

She can only leave Wano as a Strawhat. That's the point of the below post (that you didn't actually address):

She had not personally verified Momo's safety. They weren't in current danger, but it's not like she knew Momo would never be in danger again during the Raid.

But that isn't my point. You claim that she's personally devoted to Momo, but she only protected Momo because Luffy told her too, and once Momo was out of danger, she abandoned him to go and fight Kaido and help Luffy.

Even while protecting Momo, Yamato's priority was helping Luffy. The argument that she's personally devoted to Momo thus fails.

This cannot be an argument against her. Unless you think Yamato is going to defeat Kaido herself, she'll actually put her faith in Luffy towards the end of the fight.

Are you actually hearing yourself? You're literally arguing that Yamato asking Luffy to let her board his ship is not a request to join the Strawhat Pirates?

Yamato did read Oden's journal. We haven't seen Yamato writing anything because Yamato had nothing to write; she's been a prisoner for the last 20 years.

Anyway, I expect "combatant" to become Yamato's role, and I don't actually think role matters.

She appeared since the beginning of Onigashima, and I don't think this is any sort of argument against her.

Literally while he’s asking him, chapter 152 luffys running around chasing him yelling “Hey Reindeer”

Then in front of the castle he yells, “Hey Reindeer! Let’s be pirates together!”

He never calls him chopper till the party on the ship.

Do you have any panels?

Ugh I hate doing this on my phone I always end up with typos... the end was supposed to say” I don’t think that necessarily means she’s going to be a straw hat”

there’s no indication that luffy even wants Yamato on his crew? He seems more annoyed with her and her Oden gag than anything... You’ve proven that she’s connected to him, sure, but so are many other non-SHs. Luffy seems to be everyone’s “savior” post-time skip

my point about the momo thing is that luffy’s order is not the only reason she protected momo, otherwise she wouldn’t have said she would die for him or that he would bring the dawn of the new world. You keep trying to disregard that but you can’t, it’s has gone beyond just “following orders”. It’s literally a declaration of devotion... she even says in your panels that she chooses to open wano, so she cares about wano, momonosuke, and the dawn she believes he will bring. So again, I don’t think being a SH is the only path oda is presenting for Yamato

The faith thing remains to be seen, but of course I’ll rethink my position depending on what happens when Yamato gets to the roof.

I’m not saying Yamato doesn’t want to join, I’m saying oda has intentionally changed the phrase and made luffy not acknowledge it to make the possible outcome vague (which is part of the reason I think she’s a red herring)
She is literally imitating Oden, and it’s clear that luffy doesn’t like that. She’s not being her own person with her own individual feelings and desires, she’s trying to mimic someone else.

Also if you remember Whitebeard denied Oden’s request to board..

Onigaishima is still part of the wano arc. thus her appearing halfway almost through the arc. All straw hats have appeared very early on in the arc (or saga) of their introduction (Franky being the only exception but we still heard his name two chapters into the arc) which is why I count this against Yamato.
But to be fair the more you respond the more I have to rethink my positions lmao

Last edited:
I'm more and more convinced that Carrot will presumably join and not just for those two points I highlighted regarding avenging Pedro and her living a flagrant experience, but also the notion that she's doing well in the crew overall, she doesn't look to be disliked at least seemingly, and even if she was, unless too broadly, knowing Luffy he would most likely make her stay given the garguantuan amount of time she spent with them, unless she chose to go away.

Literally while he’s asking him, chapter 152 luffys running around chasing him yelling “Hey Reindeer”

Then in front of the castle he yells, “Hey Reindeer! Let’s be pirates together!”

He never calls him chopper till the party on the ship.
Luffy is called-
Nami-master theif-chapter 20
Sanji-cook-chapter 44
Robin-you 180, 217 and 218
Franky-Speedo guy-335
Brook-corbuckle-443
Jinbei-whoever you are 540
I do agree with you nickname don’t really matter unless you earn Luffy’s respect that is or part of his crew.

Last edited:
it doesn’t, but I was mainly referring to the first half of the quote. Yamato’s situation is similar to Hancock (hammock), where luffy has been explicitly told her name but still calls her something else and doesn’t bother to correct it. Correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know he hasn’t done this to any of the straw hats. He’s only called them other things before he knows their actual name

and the point isn’t that the nickname is solid proof of Yamato not joining, I’m just saying it isn’t a “pet name” or a point in her favor
Didnt he call Robin "you" even after she left with them, and Chopper Reindeer and Monster before he said yes? Lets see with Yamato, its still early/far from her eventual joining

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
As silly as this sounds, it kinda fits. Pirates sing and dance and drink, so they need to have alcohol, just as they need musicians (and dancers?)

But we just met her, its early to tell what she will do
I was just giving random guesses that might fit based on what we know of her.

I don't think the role matters anyway. Jimbe didn't have a presumptive role when Luffy asked him to join.

Yamato is going to leave wano for sure... BUUUT, we haven't ever seen how VC are done...AANND Guess who did Ace's VC???
Yamato...

On of his/her outcomes could be to shown us how VC's are done, and start his/her own adventure (and this way surpasing Oden, and getting his/her own name)
I do really like this outcome for the character...
Post automatically merged:

Luffy is called-
Nami-master theif-chapter 20
Sanji-cook-chapter 44
Robin-you 180, 217 and 218
Franky-Speedo guy-335
Brook-corbuckle-443
Jinbei-whoever you are 540
I do agree with you nickname don’t really matter unless you earn Luffy’s respect that is or part of his crew.
Here's the difference...
Luffy never called Sanji "Sanjao" or Jinbei "Jinbao", but has called Law as Torao, and Yamato as Yamao...I don't think it's relevant btw, but there are some differences XD

Status
Not open for further replies.