Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1st.
Luffy DOESN'T EVEN KNOW IF THE ONE PIECE IS REAL OR NOT, teeling him about its existece is a huge spoiler for him. More spoiler if he talks about how Roger reacted, wich is a huge spoiler for Luffy.

2nd.
Yamato fighting Kaido now doesn't mean a shit when we saw Yamato fighting against Ace (Who wanted to freed the citizens) Yamato was against that Wano Citizens 2 years ago, now he defends them because he want's to sail out, he doesn't give a fick about them to be considered Deity (FOR THE MOMENT)
Yamato can easily see how bad has left Kaido the country, and try to help the citizens... Being a new Oden and a Deity...

4th.
Every Mugi has been presented doing some stuff related to their rol, maybe Robin was the exception, but doesn't seems to be the case of Yamato, simply doesn't have nothing to do on the boat... This could change being Momo's protector or some stuff like that... But ... Now doesn't seems to be the case XD

And don't make me laugh, here the anime isn't even considered as an adaptation, Carrot has been potrayed with the mugis on the anime hundreds of times, yet people here doesn't want to admit that could mean something, buuut i'm sure that now that you've mentioned that """Symbolism""" people is going to use it XDXD
2: Yamato knew their fruit is a guardian spirit and spent the last 20 years trapped on Onigashima fighting for Wano. Oden gave up everything to go on his adventure, while Yamato did everything they could to protect Wano, despite wanting to leave. Despite this, Yamato still wants to leave once Kaido is defeated. If Wano needed a guardian, I think Yamato would be willing to do it, but it's more likely we'll find out that the power is better used elsewhere.

4. The first two things Yamato did while talking to Luffy were: share a journal and say they want to fight on their side. Logkeeper and combatant, easy. Throw in guardian spirit for guardian of the Sunny, if you want. I really think the role argument is just a total underestimation of Oda's writing ability... I mean, we didn't need a helmsman for the boat until Jimbei arrived, but now it's critical.

Toei know more than we do. They spoiled Kyoshiro as a Scabbard, after all. That very same scene I mentioned was anime exclusive, and could have included Carrot, but didn't. Oda even commented on that exact episode in his comments for 1021.

2: Yamato knew their fruit is a guardian spirit and spent the last 20 years trapped on Onigashima fighting for Wano. Oden gave up everything to go on his adventure, while Yamato did everything they could to protect Wano, despite wanting to leave. Despite this, Yamato still wants to leave once Kaido is defeated. If Wano needed a guardian, I think Yamato would be willing to do it, but it's more likely we'll find out that the power is better used elsewhere.
Yamao's done nothing to protect Wano up until the present day. Literally nothing. Kaido slapped on her handcuffs 20 years ago. For the majority of that time she'd been sitting in Onigashima twiddling her thumbs. She only decided to start to resist very recently when Ace came. And even then she accomplished nothing by consistently failing against Kaido whilst Wano's citizens were oppressed and slaughtered on the mainland by Orochi. There's not a single thing you can point which Yamao did that you can claim had a positive impact on the wellbeing of Wano.

That's the big difference between Yamao and the other straw hats who joined the crew after being freed of responsibility. Nami spent a decade working for the Arlong Pirates and collecting the necessary berries. Sanji spent a decade with the Baratie to repay his debt to Zeff, Chopper spent years treating the citizens of drum kingdom, a nation where all the doctors had been banned. Franky spent years providing a family for the delinquents of W7 and fighting off outsider pirates and thugs to atone for his guilt. Jinbe spent his entire life selflessly thinking of others.

You can see in each one of their cases they're extremely reluctant to leave at first. They all have to be persuaded really hard once they've seen their responsibility through to then move on. Yamao shows no such reluctance. And this is where we'll see the difference between what a character thinks they want and then ultimately realises what they need.

Yamao can't move on from a responsibility that she never truly carried out until now.
Logkeeper and combatant, easy. Throw in guardian spirit for guardian of the Sunny, if you want.
None of the straw hats' roles are as thoughtless as that though, so why should Yamao's be? Roles aren't just random add ons. They're part of what makes the straw hats who they are. Each of their roles will hold great meaning to their journey as a character and their dreams. They're not something as insignificant as their respective colour or number.

Last edited:
Oda even commented on that exact episode in his comments for 1021.
What did he say ?
Post automatically merged:

4. The first two things Yamato did while talking to Luffy were: share a journal and say they want to fight on their side. Logkeeper and combatant, easy. Throw in guardian spirit for guardian of the Sunny, if you want. I really think the role argument is just a total underestimation of Oda's writing ability... I mean, we didn't need a helmsman for the boat until Jimbei arrived, but now it's critical.

Toei know more than we do. They spoiled Kyoshiro as a Scabbard, after all. That very same scene I mentioned was anime exclusive, and could have included Carrot, but didn't. Oda even commented on that exact episode in his comments for 1021.
You just gonna ignore the multiple scene carrot has been portrayed with the strawhats in the anime.

Last edited:
How? What worse than yamato vs carrot? Especially if one joined
Once apon a time on a now forgotten island called orojackson, we thought it couldnt get worse than Caesar vs Rebecca vs Barto vs Canvendish vs Law vs Pudding

And then that royal rumble was out done by introducing Carrot alone and once we entered WCI and then Wano... my point is that it can always get worse... WAAAAAYYYY WORSE LOL

NO, Yamato wasn´t fighting for Wano. It's as stupid as saying Robin was fighting for Arabasta because she ended up joining.

Ohh yeah the whole dumb crew role nonsense:

Oda can make whatever position he wants for Yamato to join, what matters is forming and establishing a connection to Luffy.
So Carrot doesn't fit because Oda can't make a great relation between her and Luffy.... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT OFC we have to wait (because you want Yamato to Join) for a Magic role for Yamato? Interesting .

I never said anything about Carrot, your kinda a dipshit aren't you? @jmena

Oh who am I kidding you are
Once apon a time on a now forgotten island called orojackson, we thought it couldnt get worse than Caesar vs Rebecca vs Barto vs Canvendish vs Law vs Pudding

And then that royal rumble was out done by introducing Carrot alone and once we entered WCI and then Wano... my point is that it can always get worse... WAAAAAYYYY WORSE LOL
Nothing will be as bad as Monet, there are peopel here still denying facts about her trying to absolve her actions at Punk Hazard thinking she was the one who tossed Chopper the note when its clearly Law, then again one must never forget this insult to God & Logic:

Yamao's done nothing to protect Wano up until the present day. Literally nothing. Kaido slapped on her handcuffs 20 years ago. For the majority of that time she'd been sitting in Onigashima twiddling her thumbs. She only decided to start to resist very recently when Ace came. And even then she accomplished nothing by consistently failing against Kaido whilst Wano's citizens were oppressed and slaughtered on the mainland by Orochi. There's not a single thing you can point which Yamao did that you can claim had a positive impact on the wellbeing of Wano.

That's the big difference between Yamao and the other straw hats who joined the crew after being freed of responsibility. Nami spent a decade working for the Arlong Pirates and collecting the necessary berries. Sanji spent a decade with the Baratie to repay his debt to Zeff, Chopper spent years treating the citizens of drum kingdom, a nation where all the doctors had been banned. Franky spent years providing a family for the delinquents of W7 and fighting off outsider pirates and thugs to atone for his guilt. Jinbe spent his entire life selflessly thinking of others.

You can see in each one of their cases they're extremely reluctant to leave at first. They all have to be persuaded really hard once they've seen their responsibility through to then move on. Yamao shows no such reluctance. And this is where we'll see the difference between what a character thinks they want and then ultimately realises what they need.

Yamao can't move on from a responsibility that she never truly carried out until now.

None of the straw hats' roles are as thoughtless as that though, so why should Yamao's be? Roles aren't just random add ons. They're part of what makes the straw hats who they are. Each of their roles will hold great meaning to their journey as a character and their dreams. They're not something as insignificant as their respective colour or number.
Robin, Brook, and Jinbe were not reluctant to leave. Jinbe only didn't leave because he couldn't.

Yamato is the only one who even tried to resist Kaido. Even if it didn't amount to anything until now, they're about to be integral in liberating Wano.

If anyone has a thoughtless role, it's Usopp. What kind of critical role is "sniper" supposed to be? Who is the sniper on Roger, Big Mom, or Kaido's crew? Logkeeper, on the other hand, has been foreshadowed since the logbook in Baratie. Luffy didn't want someone else's logbook, but nobody has done what the Strawhats are currently doing, and someone should be writing their story.

What did he say ?

You just gonna ignore the multiple scene carrot has been portrayed with the strawhats in the anime.
Being portrayed with the crew is not relevant. What I believe is relevant is having an entire scene crafted around you, paired with a scene specifically foreshadowing a change in the crew.

Last edited:
Robin, Brook, and Jinbe were not reluctant to leave. Jinbe only didn't leave because he couldn't.
Robin and Brook were alone with no group to leave behind to go on their travels. And Jinbe was reluctant. He declined the offer the first time round and his crew had to encourage him to live for himself.
Yamato is the only one who even tried to resist Kaido. Even if it didn't amount to anything until now, they're about to be integral in liberating Wano.
Everyone's fighting Kaido. Even little village girls. There was no reason for Oda to explicitly give her the guardian of Wano fruit if the full extent of her role in actually guarding Wano will only end up being the same as everyone else in the raid. Yamao may be playing a big role in the battle but as are many other characters. All of whom are not the mythological guardians of Wano.

Take Nami for example. Ultimately her plan to buy back her village didn't work out. But there's absolutely no doubt that Nami sacrificed everything for Cocoyashi. We saw her story, recognised that she prevented things from getting worse and saw that her efforts were deeply appreciated by all the villagers.

That's just not the case with Yamao. She made literally no impact. Now that she's finally freed, she has the potential to make actual change and do her job.
If anyone has a thoughtless role, it's Usopp. What kind of critical role is "sniper" supposed to be?
Usopp's role makes sense given his personality and his relationship with his Dad. It holds meaning for his character. Thought clearly went into it.
Luffy didn't want someone else's logbook, but nobody has done what they Strawhats are currently doing, and someone should be writing their story.
Robin is a scholar and Nami is navigator. Between them that role would be covered. And then there's still the big issue of how it makes zero sense for the person with the role of recording their journey to join at the end of their journey. If the log is to be of any use then it would need to record from when the journey began. Besides, the straw hats are going to change the world, their activities will be no secret. And then there's the other issue that Yamao has shown absolutely zero hints of knowing how to properly keep a log. She read Oden's journal, not an actual travel log. His was just a retelling of their adventures, which is different from the role you're suggesting.

I never said anything about Carrot, your kinda a dipshit aren't you? @jmena

Oh who am I kidding you are

Nothing will be as bad as Monet, there are peopel here still denying facts about her trying to absolve her actions at Punk Hazard thinking she was the one who tossed Chopper the note when its clearly Law, then again one must never forget this insult to God & Logic:
I wasn't really talking about you, just choose your quote xD

Robin and Brook were alone with no group to leave behind to go on their travels. And Jinbe was reluctant. He declined the offer the first time round and his crew had to encourage him to live for himself.
Yamato will also be alone. The only people that know Yamato are Luffy, Momo, and the beast pirates. What is Yamato staying behind in Wano actually going to protect Wano from? Should we expect that Yamato can solo a WG invasion, or an attack from Blackbeard?

Everyone's fighting Kaido. Even little village girls. There was no reason for Oda to explicitly give her the guardian of Wano fruit if the full extent of her role in actually guarding Wano will only end up being the same as everyone else in the raid. Yamao may be playing a big role in the battle but as are many other characters. All of whom are not the mythological guardians of Wano.
How do you envision this going? After the battle, Yamato will go "well, I was planning on leaving, and even though I already knew that my fruit was a guardian spirit of Wano, I guess I should actually stay." Or do you think someone will guilt them into giving up their dream? These things are very contrary to Oda's writing style.

Take Nami for example. Ultimately her plan to buy back her village didn't work out. But there's absolutely no doubt that Nami sacrificed everything for Cocoyashi. We saw her story, recognised that she prevented things from getting worse and saw that her efforts were deeply appreciated by all the villagers.

That's just not the case with Yamao. She made literally no impact. Now that she's finally freed, she has the potential to make actual change and do her job.
So you're saying that Yamato didn't sacrifice anything, or that their efforts won't be appreciated? You list Nami as an example, but what about Robin? Robin was integral to Crocodiles takeover of Alabasta, purely for a selfish goal of learning the true history. At least Yamato has been trying to do the right thing.

Usopp's role makes sense given his personality and his relationship with his Dad. It holds meaning for his character. Thought clearly went into it.
Just as writing a log has a deep meaning to Yamato's character.

Robin is a scholar and Nami is navigator. Between them that role would be covered. And then there's still the big issue of how it makes zero sense for the person with the role of recording their journey to join at the end of their journey. If the log is to be of any use then it would need to record from when the journey began. Besides, the straw hats are going to change the world, their activities will be no secret. And then there's the other issue that Yamao has shown absolutely zero hints of knowing how to properly keep a log. She read Oden's journal, not an actual travel log. His was just a retelling of their adventures, which is different from the role you're suggesting.
This is just how you're interpreting the story. What interest has Nami shown in writing history? Robin has also only read history, she hasn't shown any interest or capability in writing a log. While I would argue that the rest of the journey is the most important, so what if Yamato wasn't around until now? It would be as easy as showing Luffy&co recounting their adventures for Yamato to record. That's how Biographies are written.

To be clear: I could very well see Yamato not joining the Strawhats. I just think most of the reasons that people list are things that "feel good", but aren't real reasons.

Yamato will also be alone. The only people that know Yamato are Luffy, Momo, and the beast pirates. What is Yamato staying behind in Wano actually going to protect Wano from? Should we expect that Yamato can solo a WG invasion, or an attack from Blackbeard?
She won't be alone since Oda had her develop a close relationship with Momo and Shinobu. Again, using Robin and Brook who did they have a positive relationship with on Alabasta and Thriller Bark respectively that they left behind after just getting to know them?

And I personally don't think she's staying in Wano. She'll accompany and protect Momo as they open the borders of Wano.
How do you envision this going? After the battle, Yamato will go "well, I was planning on leaving, and even though I already knew that my fruit was a guardian spirit of Wano, I guess I should actually stay." Or do you think someone will guilt them into giving up their dream? These things are very contrary to Oda's writing style.
The importance of Yamao's devil fruit is more an external thing to the story. There's congruence between a fruit's powers and the character of its owner. Doflamingo the manipulative puppet master has string powers. Kaido the rookie who dared to keep climbing to the very top has a dragon fruit. Marco who appears in the story at the birth of new ages and the changing of eras has a phoenix fruit.

Yamao's devil fruit is explicitly tied directly to Wano as its guardian figure. It's an obscure myth so you can tell Oda made a conscious decision to give her a guardian transformation that also matches with Momotaro.

When people state what Yamao desires, they always try and ignore one of them. Yes, Yamao wants to go out to sea, but she also wants to protect Momo with her life. Fortunately she doesn't necessarily have to choose between the two. She can both go out to sea and also protect Momo if she goes with him.
So you're saying that Yamato didn't sacrifice anything, or that their efforts won't be appreciated? You list Nami as an example, but what about Robin? Robin was integral to Crocodiles takeover of Alabasta, purely for a selfish goal of learning the true history. At least Yamato has been trying to do the right thing.
I'm saying there's a difference between Nami endangering herself for a decade doing something she absolutely does not want to do, all for the sake of the village and Yamao fighting Kaido because he smacked her for calling herself Oden. If you've supposedly been protecting a place, yet haven't actually accomplished anything, and the people you're supposed to be protecting have no idea you even exist, then were you even doing your job?
Just as writing a log has a deep meaning to Yamato's character.
And yet Usopp's role also has a useful function in the crew that was highlighted multiple times with him being able to accomplish things that Sanji highlighted no one else could do back at Enies Lobby. How will Yamao help the crew by keeping a log that misses 85% of their journey?
This is just how you're interpreting the story. What interest has Nami shown in writing history? Robin has also only read history, she hasn't shown any interest or capability in writing a log.
This is what a logbook is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logbook It's a navigator's tool.
A logbook (a ship's logs or simply log) is a record of important events in the management, operation, and navigation of a ship. It is essential to traditional navigation, and must be filled in at least daily.
While I would argue that the rest of the journey is the most important, so what if Yamato wasn't around until now? It would be as easy as showing Luffy&co recounting their adventures for Yamato to record. That's how Biographies are written.
So if the straw hats can just retell their adventures to others, why should they have a designated logkeeper on the ship with them? Seems like a waste of space, no?
To be clear: I could very well see Yamato not joining the Strawhats. I just think most of the reasons that people list are things that "feel good", but aren't real reasons.
No worries at all.

Last edited:
I hear everything you're saying, but for me these are all things that could go either way, which is why I have the urge to play devil's advocate. In the end, it just comes down to what Oda wants. If he wants Yamato to go with Momonosuke, that relationship will get developed, otherwise others will. One thing you said that I want to directly mention, though:
The importance of Yamao's devil fruit is more an external thing to the story. There's congruence between a fruit's powers and the character of its owner. Doflamingo the manipulative puppet master has string powers. Kaido the rookie who dared to keep climbing to the very top has a dragon fruit. Marco who appears in the story at the birth of new ages and the changing of eras has a phoenix fruit.

Yamao's devil fruit is explicitly tied directly to Wano as its guardian figure. It's such an obscure myth that you can tell Oda made a conscious decision to give her a guardian transformation that also matches with Momotaro.
I think we're lacking too much info to make a judgement here. If Kaido's fruit is related to daring to climb, why did Oda give Momonosuke the same fruit? His story has almost no (apparent) parallels to Kaido's. We also don't know that Yamato's fruit is the only guardian of Wano; I personally think Yamata-No-Orochi and Seiryu are also guardians. Orochi needed Yamata-No-Orochi to be Shogun, Kaido needed Okuchi-No-Makami to make a new Shogun, and the real new Shogun (Momonosuke) will be protector as Seiryu. But of course, this is speculation. We need more info.

To me, the interesting question is: why did Oda put in the lines "you should give me a ride on your ship" and "I'm going to sea with Luffy!"? Putting these lines in just to surprise us when it doesn't happen doesn't really make sense, especially when they're immediately followed by line about being a guardian. If you think showing desire to leave makes it less likely, then the guardian thing should make it more likely, right? If these are just red herrings, then that means Oda wants us talking about whether Yamato can join the crew, when really we should be talking about... what? If Yamato just going lose to Kaido until Luffy gets there, then stay in Wano/work with Momonosuka as a protector, that will be a massive amount of buildup for basically nothing. The scabbards could have done both of those things. It doesn't make sense to make Yamato one of the most persistent characters in the last 40 chapters and put them on the cover of two volumes (one of which is 100, a milestone) just to do something so replaceable.

Another interesting thing that I think gets ignored: we interpret these lines as becoming a Strawhat, but Yamato is literally just asking for a ride on the ship. Robin, the only Strawhat to ask to join, asked to join the crew; the difference is not subtle, and it could point at Yamato having a specific reason or destination that we're not yet aware of.

I hear everything you're saying, but for me these are all things that could go either way, which is why I have the urge to play devil's advocate. In the end, it just comes down to what Oda wants. If he wants Yamato to go with Momonosuke, that relationship will get developed, otherwise others will. One thing you said that I want to directly mention, though:
Thanks, I appreciate your comments and encouragement of a good discussion. Whilst I myself feel fairly confident about the general direction of certain things, I can of course be wrong. Won't be the first or last time.

I think we're lacking too much info to make a judgement here. If Kaido's fruit is related to daring to climb, why did Oda give Momonosuke the same fruit? His story has almost no (apparent) parallels to Kaido's.
They don't quite have the same fruit. Momo's was created from Kaido but there are notable differences that work specifically for Momo's character. His fruit ties into his story of living in the shadow of a legend.

-Momo's fruit was created from something great but was ultimately deemed a failure by Vegapunk, just like Momo was deemed a failure as Oden's heir by Kaido
-Momo's fruit doesn't live up to the legend of a dragon and people say it looks like an eel instead of a mighty dragon, like Momo is a crying child and not a powerful samurai like Oden
-It's not blue like the mythological eastern guardian Seiryu, instead it's pink, a colour that fits Momo the peach boy better.
We also don't know that Yamato's fruit is the only guardian of Wano; I personally think Yamata-No-Orochi and Seiryu are also guardians. Orochi needed Yamata-No-Orochi to be Shogun, Kaido needed Okuchi-No-Makami to make a new Shogun, and the real new Shogun (Momonosuke) will be protector as Seiryu. But of course, this is speculation. We need more info.
I don't think it was stated that Kaido wanted Orochi because of his df. More so that Orochi was convenient at producing weapons. The reason the Makami is stated to be the guardian of Wano specifically is possibly because the legend it's based on is about a guardian wolf whose defining trait is that it became a guardian figure of a specific area.

And again, Momo isn't a Seiryu. He's a dragon, but he's not the azure dragon and therefore he isn't the eastern guardian. Fascinatingly, the Seiryu is also apparently known as the "blue-green dragon". What are the colours in Yamao's hair?
To me, the interesting question is: why did Oda put in the lines "you should give me a ride on your ship" and "I'm going to sea with Luffy!"? Putting these lines in just to surprise us when it doesn't happen doesn't really make sense, especially when they're immediately followed by line about being a guardian. If you think showing desire to leave makes it less likely, then the guardian thing should make it more likely, right? If these are just red herrings, then that means Oda wants us talking about whether Yamato can join the crew, when really we should be talking about... what? If Yamato just going lose to Kaido until Luffy gets there, then stay in Wano/work with Momonosuka as a protector, that will be a massive amount of buildup for basically nothing. The scabbards could have done both of those things. It doesn't make sense to make Yamato one of the most persistent characters in the last 40 chapters and put them on the cover of two volumes (one of which is 100, a milestone) just to do something so replaceable.
Oda's included many things with the purpose of throwing people off on their speculations. He absolutely loves to be unpredictable.

We could also question why Oda would have Vivi ponder over a chapter of whether she'll stay or go with the straw hats. Even so much as naming a time and place for her to be if she were to leave. Only to subvert that by having her arrive at the place simply to say she can't leave.

Or why Oda had Luffy invite a zombie tree to join the crew after having just invited Brook. The most reasonable answer being that he wanted us to question Brook's invitation seeing as Luffy was willing to also invite random trees.

Oda wants you to think Yamao's joining and whilst the idea of guarding Wano has been posed and Yamao agreeing that's what she wants to do, it's never been plainly stated that her character will go in that direction after the arc unlike how she clearly said that she expects to sail away with Luffy. In the background Oda's been setting up all of these connections with her and protecting, but on the surface level he's intentionally distracting readers with claims that she's going to join.

It's like the reverse of Sanji's joining. He said repeatedly that he wouldn't join the crew. But all the while he was slowly being built up to become a member. "Subverting expectations" as they say.
Another interesting thing that I think gets ignored: we interpret these lines as becoming a Strawhat, but Yamato is literally just asking for a ride on the ship. Robin, the only Strawhat to ask to join, asked to join the crew; the difference is not subtle, and it could point at Yamato having a specific reason or destination that we're not yet aware of.
Yeah, it's a good distinction you made that others ignore. Caribou asked for (and was granted) the same thing, yet no one seems to support him. But I don't think there's any specific reason based on her words when she asked. She just wants to adventure and sail to different places. But who knows.

Last edited:
I don't think it was stated that Kaido wanted Orochi because of his df. More so that Orochi was convenient at producing weapons. The reason the Makami is stated to be the guardian of Wano specifically is possibly because the legend it's based on is about a guardian wolf whose defining trait is that it became a guardian figure of a specific area.
For this, I was referring to Oden's flashback. Higurashi referred to Yamata-No-Orochi as giving Orochi the power to be Shogun, but it was never followed up on:

So my speculation is that this fruit is in the same class as Okuchi-No-Makami.

Oda wants you to think Yamao's joining and whilst the idea of guarding Wano has been posed and Yamao agreeing that's what she wants to do, it's never been plainly stated that her character will go in that direction after the arc unlike how she clearly said that she expects to sail away with Luffy. In the background Oda's been setting up all of these connections with her and protecting, but on the surface level he's intentionally distracting readers with claims that she's going to join.
This also bothers me, because if he wants people to think Yamato is joining, he's not doing a very good job. The non-Japanese community is already pretty split on the chances, but the Japanese community matters much more, and the general consensus there is that Yamato won't join. It was mixed before the last few chapters, but the guardian role hits close to home for Japanese people. The Inu-Inu fruit also violates the 2929 rule, which most people took to be a flag that Yamato can't be a Strawhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.