Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keeping in mind that Iwasaki also confirmed in a recent youtube stream that he knows whether Yamao joins the crew or not (as you'd expect from a manga editor).

If Yamao's joining, do you really think that one of Oda's editors would even be considering the possibility that she was a last minute creation??:choppawhat:

And so it all comes crashing down, lmfao.
She's obviously a late addition. I always had this feeling about her. I'm ready to bet Oda got an idea when he read Rose of Versaille manga about a woman raised like a man (he said he read it in the weekly comments around the chapter 950)
As for "Oda saying his characters sometimes act as if they have their own will" part I doubt that's the case with her and Oda wasn't surprised like with Law for example. Why? Because Oda introduced yamato with such a big guns like Ace and "let me on your ship, please" teasing he was obviously aiming for her to be very popular, intentionally. Also yes the editor questioning how recent she is tells me quite a thing or two too. Oda can be unpredictable ofc but I'm sure he decided on the final crew like 10 years ago or earlier and
Oda's editors know too

No, he said he doesn't understand the full picture. By that, he meant Oden's goal.

He's torn up on if Oden would still want to open up Wano in the present. He says this verbatim.

He just questioned if he's a coward for worrying about the danger that might come after the borders are opened. There's no admittance anywhere there.

The whole point of that scene is to be a direct conflict with what Luffy said to him. He's not supposed to be scared of anything in the world yet he's worried about what danger might come in after Wano opens up. In line with his development, the answer to that is facing his fears despite any risk, not repeating Oden's journey because of his own insecurities.

Regardless, I can tell you're not gonna budge on this so I'll leave it there.
1. He doesn’t understand the importance he holds. He doesn’t mention his fathers goal here but that he cannot die. You’re making a bit of a reach here.

2. “What did father and Roger see on that final island. I don’t understand what the goal is.” Is the exact quote. He doesn’t understand the goal because he doesn’t understand what they saw.

3. The point of the scene is arguable but it does:
1. Establish a goal for Momo
2. Give Momo a reason to continue his journey
3. Establish a character arc going forward for Momo

These are three things it does do. You can say it’s for some parallel but that seems more forced

She is an odd choice since Vivi, a SH, didn't make it and Law, a more popular character also loved by the staff, wasn't featured either.

She's there bc the is popular that's all. There is no hidden meaning behind it. I don't think they forgot about Law, him not being here is just going to upset fans, especially the Japanese ones and the editors know how they love Law, who is more popular than Sabo, Ace and Yamato remind you. I'm pretty sure they simply started counting with November birthdays (probably bc that's the month in which new birthday merch line up was released) and it ends with October. Wait for Law and Hancock to be there soon lol.

You literally pissed me off!

Why are you so obsessed with their skills in combat?? Most straw hats aren’t combat focused.
Then why TF gather a crew if they're not combat focused? How TF are you gonna defeat your enemies? Leave everything to Luffy, Zoro and Sanji? In a world where superhumans exist, where one race is stronger than the other, you're telling me that the rest of SHs shouldn't be combat focused? Get off!

“Usopp hasn’t done anything useful” did you skip Dressrosa? Wano isn’t even done and usopps on his own right now. Of course he’ll get a moment
No! What did Usopp do in Dressrosa except for being known as God Usopp by luck and lying and defeating Sugar with a facial expression of his? Usopp's sling shot is a massive drawback for a ranged combatant and his character hasn't changed post time skip. It worked pre time skip, because all of the crew (except Robin, Franky and Brook) were childish. Usopp would be more likeable if Oda had given him a Sniper rifle that utilizes his plant seeds or whatever the fuck he uses and being a less of a coward. Him and Nami were running against Ulty and Page One because they're inferior in terms of strength and power.

“Choppers nowhere to be seen in action” because he’s a doctor he literally saved the entire floor of samurai earlier this raid
Are you high? Then Law and Chopper should not fight AT ALL. Chopper saved the Samurai because Oda writes unnecessary bullshit plots instead of giving him time to shine.

“Brooks sword style or DF powers have been absent” everything Brook does is through his devil fruit. And he literally one shot a number and gifters with his sword style. And don’t make me get into everything he did in WCI
Literally Brook does not do anything in terms of being a goof. I've rarely seen Oda use his DF powers in combat instead of "I'm a ghost". Brook carried the WCI arc because it was trash, and yeah I dare you go on start.

“Cyborg getting 0 combat” this is just weird since Franky literally has been dropping bodies since entering the new world besides
Franky hasn't dropped bodies post time skip except screeching autistically "SUPPEEERRRRRR".

It would worry your teachers more that you think of this as a maths problem instead of interpreting a sentence.

“I need ten more people” would mean the person was not including themselves. “I need ten people” is ambigious as to whether the person making the statement is including himself.

Also important, nitpicking over the specific meaning of a sentence when neither of us is fluent in Japanese is foolish to begin with.

And considering Greg’s employed by Jump in some capacity there’s not much lost by listening to his stories about what he knows about the series.
I know it's hard sometimes to translate from Japanese but still that's how I understood the meaning of the sentence back then and even today. I would blame the writer himself for not specifying important stuff.

She's obviously a late addition. I always had this feeling about her. I'm ready to bet Oda got an idea when he read Rose of Versaille manga about a woman raised like a man (he said he read it in the weekly comments around the chapter 950)
As for "Oda saying his characters sometimes act as if they have their own will" part I doubt that's the case with her and Oda wasn't surprised like with Law for example. Why? Because Oda introduced yamato with such a big guns like Ace and "let me on your ship, please" teasing he was obviously aiming for her to be very popular, intentionally. Also yes the editor questioning how recent she is tells me quite a thing or two too. Oda can be unpredictable ofc but I'm sure he decided on the final crew like 10 years ago or earlier and
Oda's editors know too
Completely agree. Everything about her character seemed unplanned and last minute. Heck, you even have Oda attempting to retcon her into being at Oden's execution:
We know from her flashback that although she was much bigger than she should've been for her age, even so she was still only as big as the average grunt. Certainly not tall enough at 8 years old to be the towering figure from the original execution scene.

Not to mention no face reveal or special focus.
Also yes the editor questioning how recent she is tells me quite a thing or two too. Oda can be unpredictable ofc but I'm sure he decided on the final crew like 10 years ago or earlier and
Oda's editors know too
Yep. This is the real kicker.

Dressrosa arc is where he alluded to an 11th BB pirate. So it would make sense that he also had an 11th straw hat in mind by that point. Yet here we are, with everything pointing towards Yamao being first thought up midway through Wano. There's simply no reasonable explanation for why she wasn't foreshadowed at all, unless she truly didn't exist yet.

Not to mention it makes no sense to begin with for an editor to think Yamao could be a last second addition if she is truly going to become a straw hat. Even if he may have thought it originally, merely knowing that she's going to join the main cast would all but confirm that Oda must've planned her at the very, very least before the Wano arc started. His statement is incredibly interesting, but also reiterates what all of us were thinking anyway. She was made up on the spot.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Franky hasn't dropped bodies post time skip except screeching autistically "SUPPEEERRRRRR".
Sorry bro, but Ikaros Much, Baby 5, Buffalo, Senor Pink, Machvise, fucking Big Mom, and Sasaki would all like a word with you…I know the bulk of those came between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa, but if he’d been in WCI, I bet you the BMP would have been down one more fighter when they showed up in Wano :fransuper:
Post automatically merged:

Eww, I hate when my posts are this close to the pervert bitch :whitepress:

Sorry bro, but Ikaros Much, Baby 5, Buffalo, Senor Pink, Machvise, fucking Big Mom, and Sasaki would all like a word with you…I know the bulk of those came between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa, but if he’d been in WCI, I bet you the BMP would have been down one more fighter when they showed up in Wano :fransuper:
Except for Senior Pink, I don't remember any fight post time skip with Franky. The only memorable fights were against CP9 because they were serious fights.

Look I'm not hating on the SHs, but the problem is Oda's bullshit writing. And I'll call it bullshit as many times I want because the guy doesn't or gives little screen time for the SHs, but other unimportant characters get much more screen time.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Except for Senior Pink, I don't remember any fight post time skip with Franky. The only memorable fights were against CP9 because they were serious fights.

Look I'm not hating on the SHs, but the problem is Oda's bullshit writing. And I'll call it bullshit as many times I want because the guy doesn't or gives little screen time for the SHs, but other unimportant characters get much more screen time.
No argument on the second part, the only drawback to Yamato joining is that Oda’s gonna sideline her with the rest of them before too long…as long as we get some sweet fight scenes and humorous interactions with the crew before she becomes the second (tenth?) fiddle in favor of the sentient dildo, I’ll be satisfied :luffydab:

Now, about that first part… :getnappaed:

and being a less of a coward.
Ah you see, that's exactly what Usopp is intended to be: weak and a coward, trying to overcome it. Oda said himself he's never going to change and that's actually great. Demanding from Usopp to be on a brave side means you don't understand his character. He'll stay a coward but it doesn't mean he won't do brave things.

Ah you see, that's exactly what Usopp is intended to be: weak and a coward, trying to overcome it. Oda said himself he's never going to change and that's actually great. Demanding from Usopp to be on a brave side means you don't understand his character. He'll stay a coward but it doesn't mean he won't do brave things.
That's boring. No wonder I can't sympathize or relate to Usopp, a loser to the end.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
If Usopp is as much of a coward at the end of One Piece as he was at the beginning, Oda will have failed him harder than anyone else…what’s the point of his entire journey with Luffy if he isn’t one degree braver after toppling the most powerful institutions in the world? I’m not saying he has to take his captain’s place in a fight, but he should not still be trembling in front of fodder like he did when they rolled up to Onigashima, he has to know even he can handle them by now.

No argument on the second part, the only drawback to Yamato joining is that Oda’s gonna sideline her with the rest of them before too long…as long as we get some sweet fight scenes and humorous interactions with the crew before she becomes the second (tenth?) fiddle in favor of the sentient dildo, I’ll be satisfied :luffydab:

Now, about that first part… :getnappaed:
I don't doubt that he's gonna shove Yamato aside like the rest of the SHs after she joins. Yeah this is thing, post time skip, there's no interaction between the crew members, Oda focuses on unimportant stuff. I miss the old pre time skip interactions between the crew memebers.

How is he gonna "overcome" it when he doesn't? How am I misunderstanding the character when that's literally the point of the character, by the end of the series to become the bravest warrior of the. Oh yeah I forgot he's gonna magically become the bravest warrior in the last episode thanks to bullshit writing.

@Rushwheel

Take Pudding, also the daughter of a yonko. She played a significant role in WCI and was foreshadowed all the way back at FMI. Close to 200 chapters ahead of her relevance. Oda knew she'd be a key figure of the arc and so he set her up in advance. He even gave away the 3rd eye reveal.

Meanwhile:
- Yamao gets no mention at Punk Hazard. (Could've had her watching Luffy during Ceasar's experiment along with Jack's men).
-No mention at Dressrosa in Kaido's intro
-No mention at Zou when we saw Kid bloodied and defeated (Could've had Yamao sharing the cell with him, to set up an early meeting with Luffy in Udon)
-Not a single mention throughout the first 75 chapters of the Wano arc itself. Despite the fact that she's an infamously rebellious daughter whom all the beast pirates knew about

@Rushwheel

Take Pudding, also the daughter of a yonko. She played a significant role in WCI and was foreshadowed all the way back at FMI. Close to 200 chapters ahead of her relevance. Oda knew she'd be a key figure of the arc and so he set her up in advance. He even gave away the 3rd eye reveal.

Meanwhile:
- Yamao gets no mention at Punk Hazard. (Could've had her watching Luffy during Ceasar's experiment along with Jack's men).
-No mention at Zou when we saw Kid bloodied and defeated (Could've had Yamao sharing the cell with him, to set up an early meeting with Luffy in Udon)
-Not a single mention throughout the first 75 chapters of the Wano arc itself. Despite the fact that she's an infamously rebellious daughter whom all the beast pirates knew about
Lmao, yeah tag the one person in the thread who agrees with you so he can come jerk you off:gokulaugh:

@Rushwheel

Meanwhile:
Dude that's not even a "foreshadow" he literally reveals the character.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
To his credit, the pervert bitch has to come up with a bunch of dumb bullshit every chapter that he didn’t have planned out months in advance because his arguments keep getting obliterated by the canon, so he’s just flying by the seat of his soiled and crusty pants to be more like his favorite author and the cartoon character that defines his entire personality :christindeed:

Dude that's not even a "foreshadow" he literally reveals the character.
No introduction, no name reveal, no dialogue. It was really just a taster for what's to come. Yet in those two panels he built more than enough intrigue, and that's all that matters. The oni Nami could only wish.

None of this is any surprise though.
Romance Dawn - Chapters 1-7
Zoro - Name dropped chapter 2, Introduced chapter 3

Orange Town - Chapters 8-21
Nami - First appearance chapter 1 colour spread, Introduced chapter 8

Syrup Village - Chapters 23-41
Usopp - Introduced chapter 23

Baratie - Chapters 42-68
Sanji - Introduced chapter 43

Drum Kingdom - Chapters 130-154
Chopper - Introduced chapter 134

Alabasta - Chapters 155-217
Robin - Introduced chapter 114, multiple arcs in advance

Water 7 - Chapters 322-374
Franky - Name dropped chapter 327, Half intro chapter 329, Full intro chapter 335

Thriller Bark - Chapters 442-489
Brook - Introduced Chapter 442

WCI - Chapters 825-902
Jinbe - Name dropped chapter 69, Introduced chapter 528, waaaay in advance
Oda knows who the actual straw hats are, hence they are planned in advance. Not randomly introduced at the 11th hour to babysit more important characters.

Heck, you even have Oda attempting to retcon her into being at Oden's execution:
We know from her flashback that although she was much bigger than she should've been for her age, even so she was still only as big as the average grunt. Certainly not tall enough at 8 years old to be the towering figure from the original execution scene.
I can't say whether or not the silhouette at the execution was later used for retconing. By that time Oda might already came up with the idea that Kaido is going to have a kid, but the design was still in development. I don't think it matters anyway, 20-30 chapters between the execution scene and the actual yamato introduction don't make much a difference because we already in the middle of Wano by that time anyway and at the end of Oden flashback, a relatively recent chapters (around 945 I think?). I think if Oda planned her earlier than that he'd most likely made her interact with Oden, it only makes sense. Yet she never met with her idol but has Ace as a friend instead. Who also never mentioned her in his life, but again how could he if yamato didn't exist when he was alive in the plot.

Speaking about design,
I think people already know that initially Yamato looked like onigiri-shaped funny guy and her name was Ninigi. I don't think that dude was supposed to be Kaido's child or Ace's friend lol, so yeah quite a transformation happened.
Post automatically merged:

If Usopp is as much of a coward at the end of One Piece as he was at the beginning, Oda will have failed him harder than anyone else…what’s the point of his entire journey with Luffy if he isn’t one degree braver after toppling the most powerful institutions in the world? I’m not saying he has to take his captain’s place in a fight, but he should not still be trembling in front of fodder like he did when they rolled up to Onigashima, he has to know even he can handle them by now.
Think what you wish. Usopp will always be like that: scared yet doing brave things. That's the definition of bravery, actually. How the heck can you be brave if you're fearless to begin with? He'll never be like Sanji, or Robin, or Zoro. That's the point. Or you want for him not to show that he is scared? Well that's actually asking of Oda to shape up Usopp into something he isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.