Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really about whether they're the single best person in the entire world at their job. It's that they're all masters of their craft. Franky for example probably isn't as good of a shipwright/engineer as, say, Vegapunk. But he's still REALLY good at what he does.
Even the "normal" Strawahts like Usopp and Nami are still extremely good at what they do.
Nami is easily the best navigator we've seen in the series

And Usopp is easily one of the best alongside guys like Yasopp and Augur

And while archeology doesn't get that much focus outside of the Poneglyphs, Robin's still been shown to be very good at it

Same goes for Sanji's cooking, Chopper's skill at medicine, etc.

Characters need to excel at a specific task to join the crew. They can't just be "the best fit" out of anyone on the crew
And how do you fit Zoro in that ? Hm? As a first mates or as a combattant.. it doesn't apply. Zoro is not yet a master.. he is just an aspirant. And Luffy is above him in term of fighting skills.

Roles are extension of the characters development of each Nakama. They "look" like they are the best because Oda is doing a great job creating those roles as extension of their character.. In other words.. they fit those roles perfectely.. but they are not the best or the masters of them.. It's an illusion.

It's all about characters. Always has been.

Last edited:
His adventure weren't finished on the seas buddy ;)

This doesn't change anything. Oden's desire did changed during his journey.

And be the only strawhat without a strong speciality. Odd.

No need to become toxic. The Carrot fanbase will do just well without your incel toxicity.. Thanks.

You guyz need to understand that a spot/post on the crew can't be as simple as saying "she will be this". A post is not just a simple "place" on the crew, it's the result of the accumulation of theme and actions in the character arc and personnality of the strawhats.

You guys surely know the term "milking" as an expression. But do you guyss really understand what it means in term of storytelling ?

In storytelling, "Milking" is before everything else.. a technique. Shortly, by recontextualizing the themes of the story in different aera of the storytelling, an author will help his readers understands more clearly his vision and will create an "echo chamber" of his own themes in his own narrative thus creating a more powerful story.

I created THIS article to talk about this technique on my blog:

Concerning the post and the strawhats, the "Milking" technique applies.

A post is not just a place. It's a continuation of the theme presented by the character arc and the characterization of the character. A post isn't only here to make good crewmate, it's also here to enhance the "power" behind the different characterization and stories of the strawhats. It's the "end point" of the character, the environment in which the character will realize themself.

Thus.. The actions related to the post are linked directly to the characters. The post is basically acting as a enhancer for the theme surrounding the character.

Let's see why with some the strawhats:

ZORO - You could argue that Zoro is just a "combattant", but narratively, Zoro is much more than that: he is the "first mate/Vice Captain". The vice captain is supposed to have enough leadership to take the role as captain if necessary. In theory, they are also here to question and keep the captain straight. The fact that Zoro is the one choosed by Oda and designed for that role is not innocent. Zoro is a man driven by honor. In the crew, he is the beacon of rightness, and everything from his story to his abilities are enhanced to reaffirme that characterization: The theme of the lone Ronin, the Sword, his backstory. Everything in the story is created to test Zoro's integrity. That's why Zoro is fit for the job of Vice-captain and the compass of Luffy.

SANJI - Sanji is the cook. But he is not "just" a cook. His entire characterization is designed to make him a great cook: Sanji is characterized as one of the nicest man there is. This trait of character is what permits him to understand that you must always feed the one who is hungry. Making him amazing for the job. But the post is not only enhanced through Sanji's cahracterization, it was enhance by the entire arc Sanji was in, the designs of the characters. The concept of "being a cook" was designed to be impactfull and the need for it to be urgent. All of that made the post very relevant in term of Narration.

JINBE - Jinbe is the helmsman. At first sight, the milking of the relationship between his characterization and that post is not obvious, but a closer look is helpfull. In reality, the post is also an extension of Jinbe's characterization and narrative. Jinbe is one of the "guide" of the crew (they are 4, Zoro(Honor)/Nami(Direction)/Robin(Cap)/Jinbe(Moral)), he acts as a moral support. In a sence, Jinbe is very similar to Zoro but when Zoro's thematic is focused around Honor and Sacrifice, Jinbe's thematic is more focused around abnegation and moral and responsibilities. He is the one that will keep you in the light and in reality. This is why Jinbe is not only a helmsman litterally but also figuratively. Jinbe is the ones who observe and guide. He is the wise one and the one you can really rely on when everything is burning around you. All of this thematic is extented by the fact that Jinbe is from the abyss, he directely witnessed oppression and is guided by one thing: to help his owns.You can also add to that that the role of the helmsman was primordial during the escape of whole cake.. and you got here the perfect job for Jinbe. Making sence both narratively and in term of characterization.

Carrot is ALSO following that principle:

CARROT: Carrot is a Sentry (LookOut+Sentinel): The thematic surrounding Carrot is all about Wonder in front of the sea. In that sence everything from Carrot's design through Carrot's story arc to her characterization and her post is designed to enhance that specific theme. From the start, Oda designed Carrot as a cheerful character then went his way to make her the voice of the "new innocence" in front of the seas. Carrot is the one who is amazed by things that usually terrifies everyone, she has a vision of the sea completely restricted by her lack of knowledge, making her the best character to discover it. She is the one who will rush into the unknown, she is the one that will laugh at danger, she will always wonder about new things. Basically.. Carrot is the character that is the most fit to see the world in a new way. Carrot's vision of the sea is also the one who is the most challenged. Everything in her story is created to make her struggle and question that wonder.. but just like every strawhat.. Carrot is also build as a hero. She isn't meant to succomb to those struggles. That thematic of "wonder" is not only enhanced by her story, but also and mostly by her design and her specificity: Carrot is mink. So, during the full moon, Carrot transforms, not only as a sulong beast, but a litteral moon goddess. Her design in Sulong is meant to evoque Wonder, magic and the mystical. Carrot is Sulong, becomes the impersonnification of Wonder. Once she transforms, she is not the one who watches, she is the one who is being watched.

And like every strawhats.. her post on the crew is an extension of that theme. The duality of Carrot around the thematic of Wonder is also enhanced by the dynamic of her post. In base form, Carrot is the lookout. Passive in front of the world, she witnesses.. she wonders, she admires with Joy and cheers. But once she becomes a Sulong, Carrot becomes active, cold and playfull, she becomes the warrior, the ones the other watches, the one that creates wonders.

Carrot might not be a strong warrior, or have capacities like Viola to see beyond kilometers.. but she is definitely the character with the best qualification to be up their and be the eyes of the crew.

As you can see.. This can be done for every strawhats and their respective thematics AND with Carrot. Each strawhats's post/roles are extensions of a specific thematic.. for a good reason: Oda designed his crew to be a bunch of missfits repreenting strong values:

Honor / Pride / Kindness / Courage / Intelligence etc.. All of this does not only serv the characters, it serv the entire story of One Piece. The strawhats are representing the core values of the characters and their post are here to enhance those values.

So...

Do you guys are starting to understand why I'm always saying that to have a post on the Sunny is VERY important in term of storytelling and you can't just "throw" a character into a role?

A role must be impactfull. It must be relevant in relationship to the characterization of the character. It must enhance the theme surrounding the character and his story.

So.. does it make sence for Yamato to become a Sake Brewer or even a combattant ? In the narration.. no.

Combattant:

Yamato has never been characterized as a combattant at hearth, she only fought and became strong because of circounstance. Fighting is not one of the main value of Yamato.. In fact.. fighting is not a value at all.. it does tell us anything. Being a "combattant" on the ship would be meaningless both in term of characterization and storytelling. What does it add to the story ? Nothing. It just the defaut state of a strong character in One Piece, it's nothing worth developping.

Log Keeper:

Did you ever see Yamato write or having a strong relationship to writing ? No really huh? Well that's logical, Yamato is a reader, she experiences she doesn't create. Becoming a Log keeper/storyteller COULD mean something if that aspect of Yamato was developped. If she tried - for example - to imitate Oden's log book as a child.. that would have been pretty telling.. no ?

Plus let's not forget that keeping the Log is Nami's job as a navigator. So I would love this to be the way Oda is going for.. but there are not enough evidences in the story to support that hypothesis.

Sake brewer:

Same... let's pass on the fact that being a Sake Brewer would help in NO WAY the strawhat during their journey, what would it tell us in term of storytelling ? That alhcool is important ? That yamato is somehow the bringer of Alcoohol ? Sake plays indeed a part in the story as a link between brotherly characters, but the actual stories of the strawhats, in the actual characterization of Yamato in her actual story ? Nothing... it's purelly and utterly irrelevant.

Yamato's thematic revolves around self discovery, freedom and responsibilities. In a sence, Yamato is an extension of LUFFY's thematic and right now, nothing is enhancing those themaric as a speciality for Yamato.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for Yamato to discover a passion for Ropes or Ship maintenance.. but let's be real here.. All the strong roles on the ship are being taken care of. And until further evidence and characterization of Yamato around the theme of writings.. I can't take the Log Keeper hypothesis into account.
See, while I do agree with your point that many of the Strawhat's roles reflect their characterization (The part on Jimbei doesn't seem as though it's supported by much since we haven't really seen how he would play off the rest of the crew), it does feel rather reductive to say that Carrot's desire for adventure would somehow carry over into being a sentry.

1. The Strawhats at the end of the day are very good at what they do. Yes, it often does reflect a greater part of their character. But that doesn't somehow mean that they aren't written to be extremely skilled at what they do. I don't see how Carrot could somehow fit better at being a sentry than someone like Usopp, who is explicitly shown to be excellent at observing things.

2. The role of each Strawhat doesn't usually reflect their entire character or even their main theme. For example, Chopper's main theme is inherited will (Which is present for most Strawhats but especially Chopper), and he's a doctor. Yes, it's true that it reflects his caring nature, but that's not all there is to his character or even what his character is mainly about. I don't see why that would be the case for Carrot

3. There are already Strawhats who want to see the world. That's a key part of Nami's dream and Luffy already gushes over all the crazy things he comes across, even beetles
Plus we've already got Chopper as the "naive little guy" of the crew.

But anyway, I don't see Yamato becoming a log keeper since Usopp being the resident storyteller is already a huge part of his character.

And how do you fit Zoro in that ? Hm? As a first mates or as a combattant.. it doesn't apply. Zoro is not yet a master.. he is just an aspirant. And Luffy is above him in term of fighting skills.

Roles are extension of the characters development of each Nakama. They "look" like they are the best because Oda is doing a great job creating those roles as extension of their character.. In other words.. they fit those roles perfectely.. but they are not the best or the masters of them.. It's an illusion.

It's all about characters. Always has been.
My guy they don't just "look" like the best, they ARE among the best. Robin earned a PhD at the age of 8 with a perfect score on her doctoral exam. Franky was pumping out highly advanced battleships at the age of 12. Sanji cooked such a good cake that it knocked Big Mom out. Nami has a borderline supernatural ability to detect the weather and was making better maps than professional cartographers at the age of ten (This was an actual plot point since it's the reason Arlong wanted to keep her around so badly)
Yes often their talents reflect other parts of their character. But that doesn't mean they aren't masters of their crafts because they absolutely are.
Meanwhile Carrot just jumps really high and that somehow means she'd be a better lookout than Usopp?

This was the moment we all knew Carrot was Straw Hat material. Her close friend Pedro was slaughtered before her eyes, leaving her with nothing but sadness, anger, and grief.

We see Carrot at her lowest. We have experienced her trials and tribulations. She couldn't save Pedro, but she had her nakama to fall back on. She had Nami, Chopper, Luffy, Jimbei, and Sanji to support her and help her recover from Pedro's loss.This moment deserves to be as iconic as Nami’s cry for Luffy’s help in Arlong Park, Usopp vs Luffy, and Robin’s I want to live.

WE WILL SEE HER CHARACTER ARC CONCLUDE AFTER KAIDO'S DEFEAT. WE WILL SEE HER JOIN THE STRAWHATS SO SHE CAN CARRY ON HER DREAMS OF EXPLORING THE WORLD

Carrot haters will try to downplay this but WE ALL KNOW LUFFY WILL ALWAYS HAVE ROOM ON HIS CREW FOR HER

See, while I do agree with your point that many of the Strawhat's roles reflect their characterization (The part on Jimbei doesn't seem as though it's supported by much since we haven't really seen how he would play off the rest of the crew), it does feel rather reductive to say that Carrot's desire for adventure would somehow carry over into being a sentry.

1. The Strawhats at the end of the day are very good at what they do. Yes, it often does reflect a greater part of their character. But that doesn't somehow mean that they aren't written to be extremely skilled at what they do. I don't see how Carrot could somehow fit better at being a sentry than someone like Usopp, who is explicitly shown to be excellent at observing things.
Of course they are but.. like many thing in One Piece.. Oda has his own vision of what it means to be "good" at something. Carrot is skilled as F. as a sentry.. it's undeniable. And as I always say: a job is only relevant in a specific situation not everything: that's that specific situation where the character shine the most. For Carrot it was 888. No strawhat could've done what she did in that SPECIFIC context. (I won't debate on that anymore)

2. The role of each Strawhat doesn't usually reflect their entire character or even their main theme. For example, Chopper's main theme is inherited will (Which is present for most Strawhats but especially Chopper), and he's a doctor. Yes, it's true that it reflects his caring nature, but that's not all there is to his character or even what his character is mainly about. I don't see why that would be the case for Carrot
They do. Chopper is not about the inherited will. It's about confidence and the will to be good enough for someone. Trust me on that. EVERY strawhat's post are an extension of their specific character arc. I could make a essay on each of them easily.. but.. I'm too tired right now.. maybe later.

3. There are already Strawhats who want to see the world. That's a key part of Nami's dream and Luffy already gushes over all the crazy things he comes across, even beetles
Like you said, seeing the world is all about the journey. But that will not be Carrot's "desire". Carrot's desire will most likely revolves around PEdro's will. But here we are not talking about the desire.. but the characterization. And in that speicific theme. Carrot is the one strawhat that will be linked to discovery of the wonders of the world. (not necessarrally seeing the world)

My guy they don't just "look" like the best, they ARE among the best. Robin earned a PhD at the age of 8 with a perfect score on her doctoral exam. Franky was pumping out highly advanced battleships at the age of 12. Sanji cooked such a good cake that it knocked Big Mom out. Nami has a borderline supernatural ability to detect the weather and was making better maps than professional cartographers at the age of ten (This was an actual plot point since it's the reason Arlong wanted to keep her around so badly)
Yes often their talents reflect other parts of their character. But that doesn't mean they aren't masters of their crafts because they absolutely are.
Meanwhile Carrot just jumps really high and that somehow means she'd be a better lookout than Usopp?
Not all of them. ZOro is the counter example. Carrot is not a better look out. SHe is the best look out FOR the strawhats. As I explain earlier. Please read what I write.

Of course they are but.. like many thing in One Piece.. Oda has his own vision of what it means to be "good" at something. Carrot is skilled as F. as a sentry.. it's undeniable. And as I always say: a job is only relevant in a specific situation not everything: that's that specific situation where the character shine the most. For Carrot it was 888. No strawhat could've done what she did in that SPECIFIC context. (I won't debate on that anymore)
Since being a sentry's all about sneaking into places and acting as a lookout, then surely Oda must have shown Carrot doing these things and not some other Strawhat, right?
Surely Carrot wasn't just standing around doing nothing, right?

If only we had the perfect opportunity to show her sneaking into places. Like when the crew was entering an enemy base or something. That would really be the arc where Carrot gets to shine

They do. Chopper is not about the inherited will. It's about confidence and the will to be good enough for someone. Trust me on that. EVERY strawhat's post are an extension of their specific character arc. I could make a essay on each of them easily.. but.. I'm too tired right now.. maybe later.
Volume 16 was titled "Inherited Will." Take a wild guess which character it was about. Obviously it can't be someone like Chopper because after all that's not what he's about
When Hiriluk had his big and memorable speech at the end of Chopper's flashback, it was about having confidence, right? There's nothing else it could possibly be about.
Dang, would you look at Chopper here at his single most defining moment. He totally lacks confidence and determination!
And of course we see characters like Kureha tell Chopper to have more confidence. They never talk to him about anything else
And wow just look at Chopper second-guessing himself when he needs to protect his friends. He really needs more confidence

Like you said, seeing the world is all about the journey. But that will not be Carrot's "desire". Carrot's desire will most likely revolves around PEdro's will. But here we are not talking about the desire.. but the characterization. And in that speicific theme. Carrot is the one strawhat that will be linked to discovery of the wonders of the world. (not necessarrally seeing the world)
Discovering unexplored places and mapping them out is Nami's whole dream. Is she a lookout?

Not all of them. ZOro is the counter example. Carrot is not a better look out. SHe is the best look out FOR the strawhats. As I explain earlier. Please read what I write.
Zoro's the crew swordsman and he wants to be the best swordsman. His role directly ties into his character.
I know Viz lists him as a "combatant" but come on it's pretty clear what he's supposed to be

Carrot is not and will never be the most skilled personn to be at the look out post. But the post is not about being the most skilled. It's about being the most "wonderful".

THe look out is all about the notion of sight and wonders. The best look out FOR THE STRAWHATS, will never be the one who can see the farthest it's the one who will always see the world like it's the first time !

Remember, Oda wrote it out himself through Luffy and Usopp: You must be excited to be a good look out.

And there is no better personn to transport us through wonders, either by being seen.. or seeing the world.. than Carrot.
Wow you explained her vision with such diligence and elegance even though we wont be seeing it :p

Anyway so on the topic of Strawhats and their main themes, I'd say it's something like

Luffy: Freedom (Obviously)
Zoro: Determination
Nami: Trust
Usopp: Lies
Sanji: Selflessness
Chopper: Inherited Will
Robin: Belonging
Franky: Responsibility
Brook: Loneliness
Jimbei: Honor
Inherited Will is more a motif for the series theme of "Dreams/Ideas never die" which applies to basically everyone. Even belonging/acceptance applies to most, with Zoro and Nami being the only ones it doesn't really apply to. As far as character themes, I'd also say:
Usopp: Bravery
Chopper: Self-Esteem
Robin: Truth/Knowledge
Brook: Patience

As far as dreams go, the only people who don't achieve their dreams are the villains. The good guys either see their dreams achieved or they pass them on in the case they die, in which the inheritor acknowledges that they will follow through on that dream. We've had characters not follow up on things they would have liked to do (Vivi going with the Straw Hats, Sanji eating Absalom's fruit, Rebecca fighting instead of Kyros, etc.) but these are not the main goals and are usually addressed in-story as better off not being fulfilled. Not once has a good guy changed their main dream. So, I'm still waiting on a satisfactory reason why Yamato will be the sole exception as the only good guy who changes their dream and/or why Momo would accept someone giving up their dream for him.

The problem is that Oda made people think that each Nakama were the best at there job in the world. That's is not true. They are just the best fit to do there jobs IN the crew. Some people are better than them, or have better capacities.

Being "the best" at a post was never an option. It's a missconception. They are just the best FIT in that specific crew for specific reasons I explained earlier.

You guys need to see the post as an extension of the character. If you don't, you won't understand why Yamato won't join the strawhats.
Kinda true, but I think you are missing something. To me the strawhats were not the best in the world at their respective position. But it always looked like that at the end of the series they would be.
A few examples.
Nami: great navigator in east blue, had no clue how to navigate in the grand line, became very fast really good at it. In the new world, because of the training of 2 years she was right away good.
Usopp: great sniper but no where near his father or Van augur(shot birds from such a distance Usopp thought it impossible). Clearly he will surpass both of them.
Zoro: not the greatest swordsman but soon to be
Sanji: great chef improved to the point that he far outclassed the chefs of bigmom who specialized in deserts and that by his own.
Franky: great shipwright will surpass even Tom

I think I made my point. The strawhats might not be yet the best at their respective positions but will be soon. Some of them might already be. Sanji, franky, Robin, Nami, Chopper, and jinbe for example.

The thing is that they are already experts, not masters... They have great potential, not just because they can...

And as the story progresses, just like power-wise, the recruits are getting more and more qualified than what the previous recruit was in the ship roles they're getting...

The problem is that Oda made people think that each Nakama were the best at there job in the world. That's is not true. They are just the best fit to do there jobs IN the crew. Some people are better than them, or have better capacities.

Being "the best" at a post was never an option. It's a missconception. They are just the best FIT in that specific crew for specific reasons I explained earlier.

You guys need to see the post as an extension of the character. If you don't, you won't understand why Yamato won't join the strawhats.
luffy best captain - will be when become pirate king
zoro best combatant - will be when become strongest swordsman
nami best navigator - already shown to have navigation skills that no navigator we saw have like being able to predict the weather in the grand line and able to navigate the knock up stream. even people like rayleigh and inuarashi are amazed by her skills.
usopp best sniper - questionable becaue his dream does not require that but it seems obvious he is on the way
sanji best cook - wci proved sanji is already superior to any cook. big mom will agree and she is the leader of the organization that probably has the best cooks in the world.
chopper best doctor - his dream is to heal every disease. that will already make him the best doctor when he fulfills the dream.
robin best archeologist - literally the only left in the world, or at least the only left with knowledge that already places her above any other. will be even more when she learns the void story
franky best shipwright - his ship will conquer the grand line making him the best in the craft
brook best musician - on thriller bark was already stated he can play every instrument in the world and after that his music even gained magical properties
jimbe best helmsman - questionable but wci showed he is a master helmsman because of his fishman skills and he is arguably the most skilled fishman in the world

they are all on the way to be the best in their job if not already are. no mugiwara is simply a good fit in the job there is no room for mediocrity in the crew and oda always make that clear by showing the mugiwara have or develop skills that exceed anything others could expect.

i am also not convinced yamato will join i am arguing against carrot chances not in favor of yamato.

Since being a sentry's all about sneaking into places and acting as a lookout, then surely Oda must h..
Surely Carrot wasn't just standing around doing nothing, right?
This is not the job of a Sentry. A look/out sentinel will go into ennemy territory. That's basically what she has done on chapter 888.

Volume 16 was titled "Inherited Will." Take a wild guess which character it was about. Obviously it can't be someone like Chopper because after all that's not what he's about
When Hiriluk had his big and memorable speech at the end of Chopper's flashback, it was about having confidence, right? There's nothing else it could possibly be about.
Dang, would you look at Chopper here at his single most defining moment. He totally lacks confidence and determination!
And of course we see characters like Kureha tell Chopper to have more confidence. They never talk to him about anything else
And wow just look at Chopper second-guessing himself when he needs to protect his friends. He really needs more confidence
You will have to trust me on this. The inherited will is NOT Chopper's theme of predilection. The inherited will is the theme of ALL the strawhats. Chopper's theme, or rather, Chopper's character arc, revolves around the notion of self confidence.

Truly.. if you don't see this.. We could argue for hours and you won't understand what I'm telling you about the themes of the character.

I will try briefly: In a few words:

Basically, the theme of the character is the theme that revolves around the STRUGGLE of the character in question. It's what they will face and what they struggle against during their specific arcs:

For Sanji, for example, it's Kindness. His open kindness is what puts him in the most complicated situation possible. It's what he has to face in order to stay true to himself..

For another one like Brook for exemple, it's his Joy.. Will his Joy resist the passage of time ? Will his Joy resist the lost of his camrad ? etc.

Zoro .. Honor / Franky .. Pride etc. .etc..

Those theme are the core values of the character. And with Chopper it's Confidence. Chopper is someone who question himself a LOT. His ENTIRE ARC revolves around that notion.

So no, it's not inherited will.

Luffy: Freedom (Obviously)
Zoro: Determination
Usopp: Lies
Sanji: Selflessness
Chopper: Inherited Will
Franky: Responsibility
Brook: Loneliness
Jimbei: Honor
More like:

Luffy: Freedom
Zoro: Honor but yeah Determination is also a close one
Usopp: Courage
Sanji: Kindness
Chopper: Confidence
Franky: Pride
Brook: Joy
Jinbe: Abnegation.

And Carrot would be Wonder.
Post automatically merged:

luffy best captain - will be when become pirate king
zoro best combatant - will be when become strongest swordsman
nami best navigator - already shown to have navigation skills that no navigator we saw have like being able to predict the weather in the grand line and able to navigate the knock up stream. even people like rayleigh and inuarashi are amazed by her skills.
usopp best sniper - questionable becaue his dream does not require that but it seems obvious he is on the way
sanji best cook - wci proved sanji is already superior to any cook. big mom will agree and she is the leader of the organization that probably has the best cooks in the world.
chopper best doctor - his dream is to heal every disease. that will already make him the best doctor when he fulfills the dream.
robin best archeologist - literally the only left in the world, or at least the only left with knowledge that already places her above any other. will be even more when she learns the void story
franky best shipwright - his ship will conquer the grand line making him the best in the craft
brook best musician - on thriller bark was already stated he can play every instrument in the world and after that his music even gained magical properties
jimbe best helmsman - questionable but wci showed he is a master helmsman because of his fishman skills and he is arguably the most skilled fishman in the world

they are all on the way to be the best in their job if not already are. no mugiwara is simply a good fit in the job there is no room for mediocrity in the crew and oda always make that clear by showing the mugiwara have or develop skills that exceed anything others could expect.

i am also not convinced yamato will join i am arguing against carrot chances not in favor of yamato.
And Carrot is not mediocre. 888 proved it. Her place at that post is well earned. If you think Usopp doing a l ook out Job once negates that, it's problematic.

This is not the job of a Sentry. A look/out sentinel will go into ennemy territory. That's basically what she has done on chapter 888.

And Carrot is not mediocre. 888 proved it. Her place at that post is well earned. If you think Usopp doing a l ook out Job once negates that, it's problematic.
Right, because she *checks notes* can hover one night a month assuming the moon is completely visible to her and can only do so for a few minutes, otherwise she risks killing herself or becomes a liability by forcing someone else to rescue her. It certainly isn't like we have Luffy, Sanji, Brook, or Jinbe who could also go over to enemy ships and wreck them at literally any time without the incredibly small time limit, or have Nami, Usopp, Robin, or Franky disable/destroy ships from a distance, also whenever they want without a time limit. It's perfectly logical to send someone who can handle fodder for a few minutes but then requires rescue, rather than any of the others who can either fight longer or can fight safely from a distance, while also being able to handle officer level threats. It's also not like we have had the current crew successfully infiltrate enemy territories multiple times and none of them have functioning eyes, so we definitely need someone new to do that. I guess Carrot really is the only one who can handle all of that.

Too bad Jinbei had to resurface in WCl he ruined Carrots chances to ever be essential to the plot or her lookout prospects with his Tsunami surfing on a very mundain role like helmsman it really set the bar too high for an ordinary bunny..
Not really tho. 888 and 889 completely overshadowed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.