Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I wish Carrot was joining the crew. But I really don't think it's plausible at this rate. If Yamato is a red herring, it's for Law. Yamato is a fan favorite who's a top tier fighter. No matter how popular Carrot is, the primary demographic for One Piece would have a lot of dissapointed people because the one that joined is so much weaker than the one that was teased. It doesn't matter to you, sure. But if Oda was going to make a red herring for a weaker member, I doubt he would have made her so strong. He could easilly have made Yamato weaker so the kids who want stronger fighters won't be dissapointed. Law is even more popular than Yamato, and just as strong, if not more so. Plus he checks off more strawhat boxes than Carrot and Yamato combined. Imo Law is Yamato's main competition, not Carrot.
If you want my actual opinion, I'd probably say Vivi.

1. She's already an established character who doesn't need to be developed any further, which is especially good for a story that's going into its final act
2. It's outright stated that she'll be considered a crewmate next time she runs into the crew
3. She's coming back into the story and is being set up for a major role alongside Sabo in the next arcs
4. Alabasta is likely threatened by the WG, so it would make sense for her to ally with the people who are going to topple it

The only real argument against her joining is her not being strong enough, but even then that could get handwaved by her getting stronger offscreen
What's this? A reasonable arguement against Yamato? In this thread?

I actually was genuinely curious, that wasn't supposed to be a smartass response. Thanks for taking it the right way.

While I see the argument for Vivi, I think people are making way too many assumptions to think she'll join the crew. We don't actually kbow what happened in Alabasta. Sure, maybe it's destroyed and she can't go back. But there's no indication of that. Vivi will definitely come back into the story, but the Vivi for nakama theory is a stretch at the moment. If Oda wanted Vivi to join the crew, why wait a decade to do it? Isn't that kind of a waste? I'll consider it more if things develop in favor of Vivi for nakama, but as it is, it's a theory based on very little evidence.

Hey, I wish Carrot was joining the crew. But I really don't think it's plausible at this rate. If Yamato is a red herring, it's for Law
:seriously: How can someone with such degree in storytelling can ignore what was setup for Carrot ? Really, you don't make any sence. You are falling into the same trap the other falt into: Thinking that because there is a huge gap of nothing between two "thing" the gap cancels the previous "thing"

I can understand your point of view concerning Yamato, but giving the actual elements present in the story, you should be the one screaming Carrot as a second choice.. it's just storytelling logic

.. I'm quite dissapointed here.

the one that joined is so much weaker than the one that was teased.
Only in the fan's mind, not in the storytelling.

Plus he checks off more strawhat boxes than Carrot
Wrong and you know it perfextly. I've already debunked that statement narratively.

Yes you are

you are the one been saying that Yamato is going to be momo's retainer
Yes, but that was not the subject here so your remark is out of subject.

C4n you just don't have any clue what you're talking about,
I have. But you are blinded by your bias and that's ok.. I'll just have to put my blog in the light for you guyz to really understand what you have been missing and why you are so surprised once Carrot joins.

Cause there will be a panic.

Idk why do you think Yamato is going to give up her dreams to be a retainer when it is something momo doesn't need but you are trying to create it 🙄
Post automatically merged:

I guess you didn't read Yamato's panels cause everything she said she always does.

Yamato doesn't have a dream, she has a desire and desires can change
It doesn't matter what you can call it those no way she is giving up on leaving wano just like Oden didn't give up not to mention the anime states that she dreams of going on adventures like Oden and of the sea
Post automatically merged:

Yeah I think we already know what's going to happen but you won't accept it.
Yamato at 8 years old “I am going to fight on the side of Wano” she did that
Yamato “I want to go out to the seas and have adventures like Oden”
Yamato “I want to live freely like Oden”

:seriously: How can someone with such degree in storytelling can ignore what was setup for Carrot ? Really, you don't make any sence. You are falling into the same trap the other falt into: Thinking that because there is a huge gap of nothing between two "thing" the gap cancels the previous "thing"

I can understand your point of view concerning Yamato, but giving the actual elements present in the story, you should be the one screaming Carrot as a second choice.. it's just storytelling logic

Wrong and you know it perfextly. I've already debunked that statement narratively.

Yes you are

I have. But you are blinded by your bias and that's ok.. I'll just have to put my blog in the light for you guyz to really understand what you have been missing and why you are so surprised once Carrot joins.

A gap is a void from point A to point B. Carrot has the void, now we only need a point A and point B

For Yamato to be a red herring, there has to be someone else joining instead. Who do you think that is? I honestly agree with some of the points against Yamato, it's just that there's no other character that has enough going for them to make sense as the real answer, except maybe Law.
Otama, just read Yamato backwards and it becomes obvious
Her connection with Ace
The "I'll never forget this food" line
Being blood related to one of the main villains of the arc
The main difference is that Yamato got introduced in the middle of Act 3 meanwhile Tama has been there since the first chapter of Act 1

Yes you are

Dude, I just disagree with your analysis. Have you noticed that all of your points kind of fit but don't quite fit perfectly? It's because you're looking for the kind of literary techniques that are not present in One Piece. You clearly know something about storytelling, but you're trying to fit a square block through a circle hole.

As far as Yamato being stronger than Carrot, surely you are not claiming that is headcannon. Tell me that you believe Carrot, as she is now, can tank Kaido's ACoC attacks, beat his thunder bagua, and make him bleed in a 1v1 or tell me that you know Yamato is stronger.

Also, you debunked nothing about Law. Almost all of the strawhat boxes for Carrot are checked off by exceptions and theories about why Carrot can do these things differently, while for Law, they are checked off in the exact same fashion as the rest of the crew. Law has literally not one thing missing. If you know anything about doctors and consider surgeon a different role than doctor, then he hit everything on the list as soon as he declared that he wants to find the meaning of the will of D. By your own admission, some of the boxes for Carrot will have to be adressed in the future.

Her connection with Ace
The main difference is that Yamato got introduced in the middle of Act 3 meanwhile Tama has been there since the first chapter of Act 1
I have to ask, are you joking when you keep saying that Yamato backwards being close to Otama is a hint? I can't tell if you're serious or not. If you're serious then I'm not going to bother responding to you again, because yikes.

Also, the fuck are you talking about with Tama being blood related to one of the main villains?

Last edited:
Her connection with Ace
Therefore, Tama is a red herring to Yamato...

On the topic of red herrings, I've seen King's name being brought up now as a potential Robin-type recruit. With the latest chapter, he's apparently been waiting for the return of Joyboy/Luffy. He's also targeted by the World Government and the story behind that, has a unique design that really stands out, as a Lunarian it would be fitting that Luffy would once again manage to do what Big Mom couldn't by recruiting one, etc. If Yamato's a red herring, King's an interesting option at the very least.

It doesn't matter what you can call it those no way she is giving up on leaving wano just like Oden didn't give up not to mention the anime states that she dreams of going on adventures like Oden and of the sea
Yes it matters, a dreams is a fix point, a desire is not.

Yeah I think we already know what's going to happen but you won't accept it.
Yamato at 8 years old “I am going to fight on the side of Wano” she did that
Yamato “I want to go out to the seas and have adventures like Oden”
Yamato “I want to live freely like Oden”
Like I said, we will see ;)

Dude, I just disagree with your analysis. Have you noticed that all of your points kind of fit but don't quite fit perfectly? It's because you're looking for the kind of literary techniques that are not present in One Piece.
Of course they are present. You are just refusing to see them.

Here are the concept favoring Carrot and against Yamato (with a sum up):

1. "Development 's inertia":

Carrot's inertia is directed at adventure, she witnessed actual wonders and loved that. THerefore such a teenager would need an equal opposite force (narratively) to go back to Zou or it would be a nonsence from a storytelling perspective. Basically, Carrot's need to be in Zou needs to be higher than her needs to sail the sea. Simple narrative logic.

2. "Subversion dialogue":

Yamato statement about her future "I figured that as Ace's brother, you should be taking me on your ship" is corrupted by the fact that her statetment is based on false logic. The statement is therefore a "subversion dialogue", a dialogue meant to divert the public's attention. That statement echoes on the two other statement of Yamato saying that she will join with Luffy. Making the potentiallity of Yamato sailing out with Luffy, a diversion to let place for another development.

3. "Plantings but more precisely: Shadowings":

To understand what I'm talking about :

(For more information about plantings - I'm talking to everyone here - Here is the article about plantings in my Blog )

In short, Shadowings here are very clear. Oda has put Carrot repeatedly in those situation:

- 40+ time on the look-out post
- As a strawhat Savior
- Acting in tandem with the strawhats
- Quirking with the strawhats
- Accepted fully by the strawhats
- Linked deeply to at least two strawhats

Those elements can only be explained either if Oda had no other reason that a whim OR if oda is preparing the character subtly to become a strawhat. The first one makes no sence from a narrative perspective and someone as busy as Oda. The only logical conclusion is therefore that those elements are Shadowings, preparing Carrot to join the crew.

Indeed, without those Shadowing, the integration of Carrot into the crew would feel undeserved.

4. "The shining Nakama action" :

This is an action with a unique type of treatment, only Carrot (not even Law or Yamato) had the privilege to be depicted with.

---

Etc..

As you can see those concepts are clear. I understand that they are new and therefore debatable. After all I conceptualized them. But they are describing REAL patterns in the narration.

So no, i'm not just trying to fit a box in a circle hole, I have actual bases and knowledge to support my claims.

but you're trying to fit a square block through a circle hole.
No, I'm just uncovering very subtle details.
In fact no... most of the thing I talk about with Carrot are not even that subtle.

- Carrot has a unique treatment, do you take that into account ? No.
- Carrot is the only protagonist of the story who worked as an active post, alone repeatedly beside the strawhats. Do you take that into account ? No.
- Carrot is unique in term of relationship with the strawhat, this is the first time there is such a bond between a non main character and the strawhat. Do you take that into account ? No.

Etc. etc. I have dozens of exemple.

And NO, Law is not closer to the flag, one look at how he is characterized is enough. I mean come on. You are supposed to be the voice of reason here. Instead of that you are completely ignoring the points in favor of Carrot.

As far as Yamato being stronger than Carrot, surely you are not claiming that is headcannon. Tell me that you believe Carrot, as she is now, can tank Kaido's ACoC attacks, beat his thunder bagua, and make him bleed in a 1v1 or tell me that you know Yamato is stronger.
Why are you talking about Yamato's strenght ? That's out of subject

Almost all of the strawhat boxes for Carrot are checked off by exceptions and theories about why Carrot can do these things differently, while for Law, they are checked off in the exact same fashion as the rest of the crew
Also, you debunked nothing about Law.
Yes I have. Here:

Law could indeed be a perfect candidate but two points are entering in conflict against that proposition:

1. Law's post would act as a doublon of Chopper's. Making Chopper quasi irrelevant.
2. Law has been characterized as someone who don't like to follow Luffy's order and as a captain!

I want to be clear: If Law wasn't a captain, he would be above Carrot. But there is NO WORLDS where Law, despite his good points, would willingly abandon his friends and crew to sail the seas with Luffy. That's a FAN wish, not a story driven expectation.

If you know anything about doctors and consider surgeon a different role than doctor
For you maybe, for the overall audience no. Chopper acts as a surgeon already, he is supposed to be the ultimate doctor. So, adding Law would negate that even if - technically - those two roles are not really the same.

It's all about efficiency and clarity in the narration. There must be only one of them per ship.

Law might be with Luffy at the end, but only as a ally, not at all as a part of his crew, it makes no sence from a narrative perspective with what we know from him.

Last edited:
If Yamato is a red herring there needs to be a lot more in the story for her to change her mind
All of you must remember that this mystery reaction of Yamato to Momo asking for guidance on the future of Wano..

... hasn't been resolved yet!

This reaction.. in storytelling logic, stands on the fine line between indirect foreshadowing and Shadowing that I talked about earlier.

Yamato is thinking about something on that specific panel, it's not just the exclamation point, there is also a "snap" symbol. Meaning that something was triggered when Yamato heard Momo ask her if he was a coward.

My conclusion: This reaction is preparing a switch in Yamato's mind, to change her own course of action and/or desire. That specific problematic MUST be approached again and resolved or it will leave a very little "narrative hole".

All of that to say : "Not really". What Yamato lived with Momo was enough to trigger a change of mind. Now, we just need to know what Yamato was thinking at that specific moment.

All of you must remember that this mystery reaction of Yamato to Momo asking for guidance on the future of Wano..

This reaction.. in storytelling logic, stands on the fine line between indirect foreshadowing and Shadowing that I talked about earlier.

This reaction is preparing a switch in Yamato's mind, to change her own course of action and/or desire. That specific problematic MUST be approached again and resolved or it will leave a very little "narrative hole".

All of that to say : "Not really". What Yamato lived with Momo was enough to trigger a change of mind. Now, we just need to know what Yamato was thinking at that specific moment.
that wasn't a mystery reaction, she was just shocked to see Momo still indecisive this late into the story

This was what followed that interaction

Yamato is thinking about something on that specific panel, it's not just the exclamation point, there is also a "snap" symbol. Meaning that something was triggered when Yamato heard Momo ask her if he was a coward.

My conclusion: This reaction is preparing a switch in Yamato's mind, to change her own course of action and/or desire. That specific problematic MUST be approached again and resolved or it will leave a very little "narrative hole".

That's not written in the scrolls... You just made those up...

Status
Not open for further replies.