Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But the thing is, Yamato telling the crew she was gonna join was played off as a minor gag that lasted a single panel and got immediately dropped as soon as it happened. Chopper didn't even give a shit
And then in the next two chapters, Yamato saying she wanted to join never got any kind of follow-up. She got a couple of minor gag panels with the Strawhats in the next few chapters, but again nothing substantial. Hell she wasn't even included in the big party spread in 1053. Yamato's big "meet the crew" moment was played off as a minor gag and was follow up by other minor gags.

If Yamato really does join the crew, this is actually terrible writing. None of the Strawhats were treated as afterthoughts in their own arcs. Yamato hasn't gotten any meaningful development at all. She (seemingly) doesn't have any personality beyond wanting to be Oden. Her backstory was shorter than Kawamatsu's. She's spent the entire arc with Momonosuke and only gets a couple of one-off minor gags with what are supposed to be her best friends for life. If Yamato's meant to just be a minor character then that's all fine. But if she's meant to be a main character then this is fucking inexcusable.

And the difference with Zoro is that being the "fight guy" of the crew behind Luffy is pretty much his whole thing. That's been his whole niche in the crew dynamic. A character like that works when he joins at the start of the series, but you can't do that with another character this late into the game. Plus, Zoro arguably has the role of "swordsman" since that's such a major part of his character.

I could go on and on about why neither Yamato or Carrot will likely join, but you get the idea. Neither of them offer anything unique to the table. There's nothing either of them can do that none of the other Strawhats can't do just as well if not better.
Why would Luffy refuse Yamato though?
After what they've been through together Luffy is hanging out with Yamato as if they were great friends already.

With Momo as the new Shogun with plenty of vassals and his sister all still alive there's no reason for Yama to stay and suddenly forgo the dream of going out to sea.

Roles at this point are just secondary, or do you really think Luffy wanted Jinbe on the crew specifically because they needed a helmsman?

But the thing is, Yamato telling the crew she was gonna join was played off as a minor gag that lasted a single panel and got immediately dropped as soon as it happened. Chopper didn't even give a shit
😭😭😭 So in the chapter where Momo also announced that he will be the Shogun of Wano and Yamato announced that she will be a part of Luffy's crew it serves as a gag moment 😭😭 also isn't chopper healing both luffy and Zoro?
Also to say that she joining the crew is going to be bad writing is one of the most delusional takes I have ever seen it has been shown to us that Yamato wants to join Luffy ever since her introduction 🤧 y'all calling it bad writing when we are reading a story where MC can recover by eating meat but Yamato being a SHs is where you draw the line? 🤣 GTFO with that crap

fascination and curiosity to meet the world, tomboy personality, similar transformation and now even minor interactions.
i said a few times carrot was a prototype of yamato. oda gave yamato everything he gave carrot so he could do it again but better because this time he added more dimensions to those characteristics giving yamato a real backstory while carrot backstory was just never left home. yamato brings every thing carrot brings and more

fascination and curiosity to meet the world, tomboy personality, similar transformation and now even minor interactions.
i said a few times carrot was a prototype of yamato. oda gave yamato everything he gave carrot so he could do it again but better because this time he added more dimensions to those characteristics giving yamato a real backstory while carrot backstory was just never left home. yamato brings every thing carrot brings and more

Nah man don't become a victim of "subversive affirmation" Oda's just messing with us.

Why would Luffy refuse Yamato though? After what they've been through together Luffy is hanging out with Yamato as if they were great friends already.
He doesn't need to. Everything that happens in a story is the author's decision. If Oda decides for Yamato not to join, then she won't join regardless of what she or Luffy wants.

With Momo as the new Shogun with plenty of vassals and his sister all still alive there's no reason for Yama to stay and suddenly forgo the dream of going out to sea.
Greenbull's marching on the capital right now. Yamato's fruit is the guardian deity of Wano, so that may end up having some deeper significance to it.

Roles at this point are just secondary, or do you really think Luffy wanted Jinbe on the crew specifically because they needed a helmsman?
Did you forget that we saw Jimbei as a helmsman as early as Impel Down?

Let me break it down for you:
Vivi had no role -> Vivi didn't join (Honorary member but still)
Conis and Wyper had no role -> Conis and Wyper didn't join
Rebecca had no role -> Rebecca didn't join
Carrot had no role -> Carrot didn't join
Reiju and Pudding had no role -> Reiju and Pudding didn't join
Momo and Kinemon had no role -> Momo and Kinemon didn't join
Yamato has no role -> ????????

😭😭😭 So in the chapter where Momo also announced that he will be the Shogun of Wano and Yamato announced that she will be a part of Luffy's crew it serves as a gag moment 😭😭 also isn't chopper healing both luffy and Zoro?
Also to say that she joining the crew is going to be bad writing is one of the most delusional takes I have ever seen it has been shown to us that Yamato wants to join Luffy ever since her introduction 🤧 y'all calling it bad writing when we are reading a story where MC can recover by eating meat but Yamato being a SHs is where you draw the line? 🤣 GTFO with that crap
Yes because Yamato is (supposedly) meant to be a main character. A main character in their own arc shouldn't be treated as an afterthought like Yamato is right now.
Are you seriously telling me that keeping Yamato separated from the crew for the entire arc for the sake of building up a one panel gag isn't shit writing if she's supposed to join the crew? Arc characters like Momo or Tama have been getting far, far better treatment than what is supposed to be a future Strawhat.

Red herrings aren't an uncommon narrative device by any means. Oda's even done it before with Vivi. What makes you think that Yamato couldn't be one?

Shocking footage of Carrot being dragged out of the story. #BunnyLivesKindOfMatter
Also depicted here: C4N relentlessly dragging Carrot back into the thread to force his own dream for her, when she's had enough adventure and would rather go back to Zou with her family and eat some grass.

And then in the next two chapters, Yamato saying she wanted to join never got any kind of follow-up. She got a couple of minor gag panels with the Strawhats in the next few chapters, but again nothing substantial. Hell she wasn't even included in the big party spread in 1053. Yamato's big "meet the crew" moment was played off as a minor gag and was follow up by other minor gags.
Except it has gotten follow up. Yamato showed true dedication to Luffy that swayed even Jinbei. Nami went from freaked out to wanting to bathe together, gender topic aside. And Yamato literally being glued to Luffy's side (instead of Momo's) since he woke up is pretty evident. As for not being in the huge spread, neither was Chopper (who is with Yamato ffs). Neither is Robin or Brook. And Jinbei is just chilling like a boss far away from everyone else and not in the spread. This is just the pregame for the crew. The toast is still coming later. Unless people think Jinbei is going to miss his own "welcome to the crew!" toast?

If Yamato really does join the crew, this is actually terrible writing. None of the Strawhats were treated as afterthoughts in their own arcs. Yamato hasn't gotten any meaningful development at all. She (seemingly) doesn't have any personality beyond wanting to be Oden. Her backstory was shorter than Kawamatsu's. She's spent the entire arc with Momonosuke and only gets a couple of one-off minor gags with what are supposed to be her best friends for life. If Yamato's meant to just be a minor character then that's all fine. But if she's meant to be a main character then this is fucking inexcusable.
Is this the same "terrible writing" that ZKK-stans keep talking about that Wano is the worst arc ever because Zoro didn't kill the big baddie? If you don't like something Oda did, fine, but to call it bad writing is a pretty biased take. Did Yamato live up to the impossibly high standards for a new nakama built up by the community for over 10 years? Debatable, but the same is true for Jinbei (who still doesn't have a proper flashback, btw. It was all about Fisher Tiger and Queen Otohime). Was Yamato joining told in a believable way that convinced most readers of the possibility? Yes, in the most obvious case since Brook.

All a main character (whatever that means) needs to do is carry the narrative without Luffy. Yamato did that when stalling Kaido and during the flashback. And I know it's a touchy subject, but I'm excited for someone on Elbaf to go around screaming to the giants "I'm Oden!" while also being a huge ice wolf. Ragnarok incoming.

Except it has gotten follow up. Yamato showed true dedication to Luffy that swayed even Jinbei. Nami went from freaked out to wanting to bathe together, gender topic aside. And Yamato literally being glued to Luffy's side (instead of Momo's) since he woke up is pretty evident. As for not being in the huge spread, neither was Chopper (who is with Yamato ffs). Neither is Robin or Brooke. And Jinbei is just chilling like a boss far away from everyone else and not in the spread. This is just the pregame for the crew. The toast is still coming later.
Yamato's """"follow up"""" was a minor fanservice gag. Her saying she wanted to join didn't get brought up at all. You realize that's what I was talking about, right?

But Yamato not appearing in the spread is not a good sign for her considering that this is supposed to be her arc. Imagine if Brook didn't appear in the party at the end of Thriller Bark

Is this the same "terrible writing" that ZKK-stans keep talking about that Wano is the worst arc ever because Zoro didn't kill the big baddie? If you don't like something Oda did, fine, but to call it bad writing is a pretty biased take. Did Yamato live up to the impossibly high standards for a new nakama built up by the community for over 10 years? Debatable, but the same is true for Jinbei (who still doesn't have a proper flashback, btw. It was all about Fisher Tiger and Queen Otohime). Was Yamato joining told in a believable way that convinced most readers of the possibility? Yes, in the most obvious case since Brooke.
It's shit because Yamato
1. Is painfully underdeveloped
2. Was clearly not something the author had in mind until Act 3 started
3. Had a backstory shorter than Kawamatsu's
4. Has no meaningful relationship with Luffy or the Strawhats
5. Has nothing she can do better than the rest of the crew
You bring up Brook, yet he had a full chapter of interacting with the crew at the start of the arc before he joined for real at the end
And Jimbei did have a proper flashback. Tiger and Otohime showed how Jimbei developed the ideals he currently has by learning from both of them

You wanna know why the most discussed thing about Yamato is her pronouns/gender? It's because there's nothing else there besides her Oden larp.

All a main character (whatever that means) needs to do is carry the narrative without Luffy. Yamato did that when stalling Kaido and during the flashback. And I know it's a touchy subject, but I'm excited for someone on Elbaf to go around screaming to the giants "I'm Oden!" while also being a huge ice wolf. Ragnarok incoming.
A main character needs to actually have some kind of importance, especially in what is supposed to be their arc.
Compare these two scenes side-by-side to understand what I'm talking about here
Yamato's treatment isn't even on the same level as a character like Rebecca
Kaido is Yamato's father who imprisoned her for 20 years, yet we aren't given any kind of indication how she was emotionally affected by Luffy defeating him.
In these last couple chapters, Oda's done a good job at writing conclusions for characters like Momo or Kinemon or Tama. But he couldn't do this for Yamato, who is supposed to be a main character.

I'm sorry but if Yamato joins this is shit writing. You can't seriously tell me that Oda did such a good job at making each Strawhat feel like great and well-rounded characters who deserved their spot on the crew only to have this shallow Oden fangirl join even though she offers nothing new to the table

Like Luffy has
- The world's best shipwright
- The world's best navigator
- (Soon to be) The world's best sniper
- (Soon to be) The world's best swordsman
- One of the world's best archeologists
- (Soon to be) The world's best doctor
- A world renowned rockstar
- One of the world's best helmsmen
- The world’s best chef
And you mean to tell me that it's totally fine that Yamato has nothing unique or interesting about her?

Yamato isn't joining. She's the most obvious red herring ever. She's staying in Wano as its guardian deity after Greenbull's power makes her realize how fucked Wano is without someone strong to stay and protect it. The lack of a role alone is enough to kill the possibility of her joining.

Yamato's """"follow up"""" was a minor fanservice gag. Her saying she wanted to join didn't get brought up at all. You realize that's what I was talking about, right?

But Yamato not appearing in the spread is not a good sign for her considering that this is supposed to be her arc. Imagine if Brook didn't appear in the party at the end of Thriller Bark

It's shit because Yamato
1. Is painfully underdeveloped
2. Was clearly not something the author had in mind until Act 3 started
3. Had a backstory shorter than Kawamatsu's
4. Has no meaningful relationship with Luffy or the Strawhats
5. Has nothing she can do better than the rest of the crew
You bring up Brook, yet he had a full chapter of interacting with the crew at the start of the arc before he joined for real at the end
And Jimbei did have a proper flashback. Tiger and Otohime showed how Jimbei developed the ideals he currently has by learning from both of them

You wanna know why the most discussed thing about Yamato is her pronouns/gender? It's because there's nothing else there besides her Oden larp.

A main character needs to actually have some kind of importance, especially in what is supposed to be their arc.
Compare these two scenes side-by-side to understand what I'm talking about here
Yamato's treatment isn't even on the same level as a character like Rebecca
Kaido is Yamato's father who imprisoned her for 20 years, yet we aren't given any kind of indication how she was emotionally affected by Luffy defeating him.
In these last couple chapters, Oda's done a good job at writing conclusions for characters like Momo or Kinemon or Tama. But he couldn't do this for Yamato, who is supposed to be a main character.

I'm sorry but if Yamato joins this is shit writing. You can't seriously tell me that Oda did such a good job at making each Strawhat feel like great and well-rounded characters who deserved their spot on the crew only to have this shallow Oden fangirl join even though she offers nothing new to the table

Like Luffy has
- The world's best shipwright
- The world's best navigator
- (Soon to be) The world's best sniper
- (Soon to be) The world's best swordsman
- One of the world's best archeologists
- (Soon to be) The world's best doctor
- A world renowned rockstar
- One of the world's best helmsmen
- The world’s best chef
And you mean to tell me that it's totally fine that Yamato has nothing unique or interesting about her?

Yamato isn't joining. She's the most obvious red herring ever. She's staying in Wano as its guardian deity after Greenbull's power makes her realize how fucked Wano is without someone strong to stay and protect it. The lack of a role alone is enough to kill the possibility of her joining.
Okay So you want Yamato to cry and say “Thank You luffy for defeating my father something I already know you can do that's why I've been waiting for you 🤧,” She and Rebecca isn't the same type of character so what do you want Yamato to do cry like Rebecca?
You guys love to use the Guardian Deity something because u don't have anything else to offer than the devil fruit also why is Yamato should be the one to face green bull when everyone is there and healthy

Okay So you want Yamato to cry and say “Thank You luffy for defeating my father something I already know you can do that's why I've been waiting for you 🤧,” She and Rebecca isn't the same type of character so what do you want Yamato to do cry like Rebecca?
You guys love to use the Guardian Deity something because u don't have anything else to offer than the devil fruit also why is Yamato should be the one to face green bull when everyone is there and healthy
I think Yamato soms kind of emotion other than just smiling and giggling yes

I don’t think she’ll fight Greenbull though. I’m saying that he’ll make her realize the power of the WG and she’ll decide not to recreate Oden’s biggest mistake by choosing to stay in Wano as its guardian
Post automatically merged:

I see @Peenix is still a dumb dumb
Wow nice job addressing my arguments

I think Yamato soms kind of emotion other than just smiling and giggling yes

I don’t think she’ll fight Greenbull though. I’m saying that he’ll make her realize the power of the WG and she’ll decide not to recreate Oden’s biggest mistake by choosing to stay in Wano as its guardian
Post automatically merged:

Wow nice job addressing my arguments
Oden‘s biggest mistake was not just that. But it was not willing not ask others to help him liberate his country for him. Remember the Roger Pirates did offer their assistance to help him but he refused their help. He felt like he should do this on his own it’s kozuki clan problem

Last edited:
think Yamato soms kind of emotion other than just smiling and giggling yes

She was literally crying in her backstory 🤧, and also she knows the Power of WG since her father wants to go to war with them 🤣, Then why do you think Momo is the Shogun? Oden's biggest mistake was he left Wano and make Orochi and Kaido take control of the country now that both of them are gone and Wano remains closed Yamato can leave Wano without any problem not to mention the minks are in wano too but Yamato leaving is a bigger problem

She was literally crying in her backstory 🤧, and also she knows the Power of WG since her father wants to go to war with them 🤣, Then why do you think Momo is the Shogun? Oden's biggest mistake was he left Wano and make Orochi and Kaido take control of the country now that both of them are gone and Wano remains closed Yamato can leave Wano without any problem not to mention the minks are in wano too but Yamato leaving is a bigger problem
She was crying in her backstory sure, but it doesn’t change what I’m saying

What about if/when Greenbull decides to come back? You don’t think he could easily destroy the samurai and minks? Wano needs a guardian

She was crying in her backstory sure, but it doesn’t change what I’m saying

What about if/when Greenbull decides to come back? You don’t think he could easily destroy the samurai and minks? Wano needs a guardian
He isn't here for Wano dummy.

See this is why on one should argue with you, if you can even read One Piece or talk honestly why deal with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.