Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Editors don't matter.

What an simplistic way to view storytelling. That's not how authors work mate.

No, because it's irrelevant for the story, that's all.
Editors do matter though?
Off the top of my head Zoro and Nami were originally going to join in the same arc. Nami would join first and Zoro would be one of Buggy's crewmates who ditches him and joins Luffy partway through.

It's so funny to see how you don't address the fact that Naito, the editor at that time, is a furry that has mentioned multiple times he's very interested in Carrot.

And you can't see how that would play in how he asked for Oda to highlight her more? And then the new editor comes in and suddenly Wano has NO CARROT DEVELOPMENT AT ALL.

Multiple people have pointed out this, showing quotes of Naito fantasizing about marrying Carrot and such. But you don't address it because, oh what a surprise, you'd have to accept that maybe he had a part to play when it comes to the treatment Carrot received in WCI.
This... If there's someone to blame why Carrot is even viewed as a candidate, it is probably Naito...

I'm sorry but they do matter, at least with some literary works such as One Piece... Oda is very easy to be influenced and pressured by his peers to insert or remove stuffs in the story that won't hurt his main storyline... Naito with the Carrot extra panels in WCI is the most recent known example... Another one is that, correct me if I'm wrong, WSJ pressured Oda with the 11 Supernovas thing in Sabaody...

You may think that editors don't matter but they actually do unfortunately...

What an simplistic way to view storytelling. That's not how authors work mate.
Sorry, you're not an authority or a governing/sanctioning body with how each authors work...

About Editors, Oda himself said Senor Pink's backstory wasn't supposed to be in the manga but his editor at the time made him do it. Editors do have influence over what goes into the manga.
This... Editors aren't placed there for nothing, it's just that they heavily influence Oda at times...

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Where did I say that exactly?

Spoiler: Nowhere.

You can dislike Carrot if you want (even if the concept of disliking a character for no reason is inerantly problematic but okay..) the problem (and racist stuff) is when you use her mink attribute to spread your hate.

I targeted no one here, but the fact is: It happened, a LOT.

That's why I think that tweet was on to something and not half wrong.

Not really no. The fact that Oda decided to focus on fishmen doesn't negate the fact that Minks are being targeted for the same reasons.

You missed a panel mate.

Yamato joining seemed pretty apparent for a while. Hopefully she has nice, enjoyable moments with the crew from here on out, as is she's already fitting in well.

Personally, I already stopped holding my breathe for Carrot to join but I still like the character and her joining would've been something I appreciated. Regardless, what happens happens and no need to be bitter about the outcome like if she doesn't join. Wano's wrapping up, we'll see what Carrot does, whether she heads back to Zou, follows in Pedro's footsteps and sails with a crew allied with Luffy or joins the crew but with so little foucs on her this arc, I doubt it (I'd still enjoy it).

I don't really care much for speculating on editors messing with the story since it requires a lot of assuming about stuff we'll never actually know about it.

I don't think either Carrot or Yamato are joining. Neither of them have roles even though Oda made such a big deal about each Strawhat's role when they joined the crew

I don't think either Carrot or Yamato are joining. Neither of them have roles even though Oda made such a big deal about each Strawhat's role when they joined the crew
Yawn after seeing Yamato announced that she is joining the crew in chapter 1051 u still think she going to magically stay in Wano 😭😭, Also with the role something she can be like Zoro(who is a fighter and apart time lookout)

Yawn after seeing Yamato announced that she is joining the crew in chapter 1051 u still think she going to magically stay in Wano 😭😭, Also with the role something she can be like Zoro(who is a fighter and apart time lookout)
But the thing is, Yamato telling the crew she was gonna join was played off as a minor gag that lasted a single panel and got immediately dropped as soon as it happened. Chopper didn't even give a shit
And then in the next two chapters, Yamato saying she wanted to join never got any kind of follow-up. She got a couple of minor gag panels with the Strawhats in the next few chapters, but again nothing substantial. Hell she wasn't even included in the big party spread in 1053. Yamato's big "meet the crew" moment was played off as a minor gag and was follow up by other minor gags.

If Yamato really does join the crew, this is actually terrible writing. None of the Strawhats were treated as afterthoughts in their own arcs. Yamato hasn't gotten any meaningful development at all. She (seemingly) doesn't have any personality beyond wanting to be Oden. Her backstory was shorter than Kawamatsu's. She's spent the entire arc with Momonosuke and only gets a couple of one-off minor gags with what are supposed to be her best friends for life. If Yamato's meant to just be a minor character then that's all fine. But if she's meant to be a main character then this is fucking inexcusable.

And the difference with Zoro is that being the "fight guy" of the crew behind Luffy is pretty much his whole thing. That's been his whole niche in the crew dynamic. A character like that works when he joins at the start of the series, but you can't do that with another character this late into the game. Plus, Zoro arguably has the role of "swordsman" since that's such a major part of his character.

I could go on and on about why neither Yamato or Carrot will likely join, but you get the idea. Neither of them offer anything unique to the table. There's nothing either of them can do that none of the other Strawhats can't do just as well if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.