Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We back to Carrot? She has many glaring issues when it comes to being a SH.

1) She completely lacks a backstory. All of the SHs didn't have an easy past and their struggles shaped them into who they are today, along with being a big part of the themes of their recruitment arc. Carrot seems to have been completely happy with Zou with the biggest conflict among the Minks being the Dukes' bickering.

2) Each SH was a major part of their recruitment arcs in both execution wise and thematically. They contrasted the main villain and needed Luffy and the SHs to solve their problems. Carrot's biggest role was in WCI and she was a supporting character at best, having little to do with the overarching themes. In Wano, she has even less to do with the themes and was completely separated from the main conflict along with getting off paneled. The 2 closest things she had to an arc villain, being Jack and Perospero, were supporting villains who got beaten by other characters.

Carrot so far lacks the biggest things that all the other SHs share, and the best arguments for Carrot so far is that either Carrot is so special that she'll be the first SH who doesn't need them, or that Oda might do something later to swerve the reader.
she has a story if you think about it. Carrot has been on Zou all her life, she is currently 15 years old. His "emotional backstory" develops in real time.
Usually this is conveyed with a backstory. However it can be conveyed in the actual story itself. Why not? Oda has been breaking patterns with how Straw Hats join since Robin. Robin, Franky and Jinbe were all very unconventional compared to the first six (and arguably Brook). Carrot would be breaking another convention. Why show us the backstory of why they want to travel with the crew when you can have that backstory become part of the current events of the series, actually have this character be uniquely tied to the crew.
Pedro as a character always dreamed of travelling with Roger. Pedro cared deeply about the Dawn and thought Roger would be the one to bring it. When he didn't bring the Dawn, Pedro decided he himself would have a go. That's why he stated the Nox Expedition Party. Because after the night comes the Dawn (Nox means night). He failed and suffered greatly because of it. Then he saw Luffy and realised this would be the kid to bring the Dawn. That's why he went with Luffy, he was never able to go with Roger and wanted to help Luffy in any way he could. Pedro cared about the Dawn more than any other character in all of One Piece. He devoted his life to it and even gave his life from it. In doing so he passed his will on to Carrot.
One of One Piece's biggest themes is inherited will. Practically all of the main cast have inherited their wills from other people. Pedro had one of the strongest wills in the series. So much so that he gave his life for it. And who does that leave to inherit his will? His protégé Carrot. Hence his final words to her "You gara, must go onwards". Pedro dreamed of being with the Pirate King when he brought the Dawn to the world. He couldn't.
However his apprentice certainly can be there. Carrot has even shown that she has inherited this will. Before she goes Sulong, she exclaims that she is doing it for Pedro. To honour his wishes and make his dream a reality. She goes out expecting to die. She doesn't, she is saved by the crew.

as I said before WCI was a set up arc for Carrot not a resolution and I don't think Oda is done with his character
Are you saying that Oda doesn't owe me a satisfying conclusion to a character given the setup he gave her that has nothing to do with ruling Zou?
Satisfaction doesn't have to be a good ending for the character. It has to be justified and logical ending for the character. It's not logical or satisfying if Carrot just forgets all so her grief and humiliation just because Oda is bored with her. And make her Quenn of Zou dam this is so out of nowhere. Carrot has to have a satisfying resolution to her character that fits with what we know of her and the story. Hell she could even just die so long as it's due to a logical progression. He owes me a reason to have invested in the character. Flat out giving up on her would be ridiculous. If he as an author intentionally chooses to set-up a character, he must then follow through with it for those who were invested.

Carrot was not developped to become ruler of Zou. Momo was because his goal was to become Shogun.
as I said before if Carrot had simply said good bye to the
crew we could have least concluded she felt
her journey was done. It would have been a
poor ending to her story IMO but it would
have at least gotten closure from her.
Suddenly making her king of Zou is so out
of nowhere and makes so little sense that it
feels like a forced solution to something
that wasn't even really a problem. And its
especially bad considering they brought up
Pedro's will again, which has nothing to do
with ruling Zou,

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
she has a story if you think about it. Carrot has been on Zou all her life, she is currently 15 years old. His "emotional backstory" develops in real time.
Usually this is conveyed with a backstory. However it can be conveyed in the actual story itself. Why not? Oda has been breaking patterns with how Straw Hats join since Robin. Robin, Franky and Jinbe were all very unconventional compared to the first six (and arguably Brook). Carrot would be breaking another convention. Why show us the backstory of why they want to travel with the crew when you can have that backstory become part of the current events of the series, actually have this character be uniquely tied to the crew.
Oda never really broke conventions with SH recruitment. None of the SHs had the exact same recruitment but all of them, including Jinbe, shared the formula of having:
-a backstory
-a main villain tied to them
-having Luffy defeat the big bad for them
-being one of the most important parts of the arc
-strong thematic ties to the arc

Carrot has none of those so I don't see the reason why Oda would break something so major for the first time ever, especially just for Carrot.

Pedro as a character always dreamed of travelling with Roger. Pedro cared deeply about the Dawn and thought Roger would be the one to bring it. When he didn't bring the Dawn, Pedro decided he himself would have a go. That's why he stated the Nox Expedition Party. Because after the night comes the Dawn (Nox means night). He failed and suffered greatly because of it. Then he saw Luffy and realised this would be the kid to bring the Dawn.
That's why he went with Luffy, he was never able to go with Roger and wanted to help Luffy in any way he could. Pedro cared about the Dawn more than any other character in all of One Piece. He devoted his life to it and even gave his life from it. In doing so he passed his will on to Carrot.
These 2 sections can be addressed at once.

Pedro wanted to go with Roger and see the dawn, but was rejected for being too young. Roger told him "everyone has their time to shine" so Pedro was waiting for his. Pedro flat out begged for his life saying that he must live to see the dawn, and did everything he could such as hunt Poneglyphs, to support the ones who would bring the dawn.

Pedro left with Luffy simply cause he wanted to repay Sanji, the being with the SHs convinced him that they will be the ones to bring the dawn, and told Carrot that someday she will learn the importance of the SHs finishing their voyage. With that, he finally got his time to shine by sacrificing himself and becoming the pillar for the SHs brining the down.

One of One Piece's biggest themes is inherited will. Practically all of the main cast have inherited their wills from other people. Pedro had one of the strongest wills in the series. So much so that he gave his life for it. And who does that leave to inherit his will? His protégé Carrot. Hence his final words to her "You gara, must go onwards". Pedro dreamed of being with the Pirate King when he brought the Dawn to the world. He couldn't.
However his apprentice certainly can be there. Carrot has even shown that she has inherited this will. Before she goes Sulong, she exclaims that she is doing it for Pedro. To honour his wishes and make his dream a reality. She goes out expecting to die. She doesn't, she is saved by the crew.
Inheriting will doesn't have to involve becoming a SH though. We've seen plenty of characters, including ones who traveled with the SHs, inherit the wills of those from the past and never joined.

Pedro's wish was for the dawn to come, and his will is being a support for those who will bring the dawn.
as I said before WCI was a set up arc for Carrot not a resolution and I don't think Oda is done with his character
Are you saying that Oda doesn't owe me a satisfying conclusion to a character given the setup he gave her that has nothing to do with ruling Zou?
Nothing really suggests WCI was a set up for Carrot given how she played no big role in the arc. She was a supporting character at best. Her best contribution to the arc was delaying the BMP, just like Jinbe, Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Brooke and the Fishman Pirates did, not to mention that she was used as a hype tool and expedition drop for Sulong.

Your idea of a satisfying conclusion for Carrot is entirely subjective, as is mine. Many characters were given conclusions deemed unsatisfactory by the fanbase, and Carrot doesn't need to be a SH to have a proper conclusion.

So yeah. Pedro never really thought he had to join the ones who will bring the dawn. He just needed his moment to shine in supporting them.

Satisfaction doesn't have to be a good ending for the character. It has to be justified and logical ending for the character. It's not logical or satisfying if Carrot just forgets all so her grief and humiliation just because Oda is bored with her. And make her Quenn of Zou dam this is so out of nowhere. Carrot has to have a satisfying resolution to her character that fits with what we know of her and the story. Hell she could even just die so long as it's due to a logical progression. He owes me a reason to have invested in the character. Flat out giving up on her would be ridiculous. If he as an author intentionally chooses to set-up a character, he must then follow through with it for those who were invested.
Pedro told Carrot to keep moving forward and that everyone has their time to shine, something Carrot repeatedly fumbled over. His words played in her head with Katakuri, Daifuku and Pero, and all 3 times she failed. It wasn't hee time to shine but the Dukes presented her with her moment, poor writing n' all. As seen with Pedro's will, you only need to support those who will bring the dawn. Just by seeing the dawn after the SHs bring it is she completing Pedro's will.

Carrot was not developped to become ruler of Zou. Momo was because his goal was to become Shogun.
as I said before if Carrot had simply said good bye to the
crew we could have least concluded she felt
her journey was done. It would have been a
poor ending to her story IMO but it would
have at least gotten closure from her.
Suddenly making her king of Zou is so out
of nowhere and makes so little sense that it
feels like a forced solution to something
that wasn't even really a problem. And its
especially bad considering they brought up
Pedro's will again, which has nothing to do
with ruling Zou,
Yes Carrot wasn't developed at all at being a leader and it still a shitty resolution if it is, but that wouldn't be the first time Oda has done that. Many plot points in Wano didn't even get a resolution.

If I missed some things then apologies cause typing this out was pretty tedious for me.

Oda never really broke conventions with SH recruitment. None of the SHs had the exact same recruitment but all of them, including Jinbe, shared the formula of having:
-a backstory

Post automatically merged:

Pedro wanted to go with Roger and see the dawn, but was rejected for being too young. Roger told him "everyone has their time to shine" so Pedro was waiting for his. Pedro flat out begged for his life saying that he must live to see the dawn, and did everything he could such as hunt Poneglyphs, to support the ones who would bring the dawn.
Roger rejected Pedro because he knew he was going to die soon

if Roger was against kids on the ship, please explain why 9-year-olds Buggy and Shanks were already "going off"

Last edited:
J

Joygirl1

nah in barrel we trust the next chapter comes out during the festival which inaugurates the moon and the rabbit is the mascot of this festival ik it's kinda copium but I want to believe
This could be Oda even more trolling.

The moon and a mascot with long ears aren´t hints for Carrot becoming nakama, instead it´s hints for Enel coming back :kata:

-a backstory
I get the feeling Momo pretty much sideswiped any extra attention for characters that would have otherwise been appreciated since Chapters 1050-1057 seemed mainly dedicated to him.

We back to Carrot? She has many glaring issues when it comes to being a SH.

1) She completely lacks a backstory. All of the SHs didn't have an easy past and their struggles shaped them into who they are today, along with being a big part of the themes of their recruitment arc. Carrot seems to have been completely happy with Zou with the biggest conflict among the Minks being the Dukes' bickering.

2) Each SH was a major part of their recruitment arcs in both execution wise and thematically. They contrasted the main villain and needed Luffy and the SHs to solve their problems. Carrot's biggest role was in WCI and she was a supporting character at best, having little to do with the overarching themes. In Wano, she has even less to do with the themes and was completely separated from the main conflict along with getting off paneled. The 2 closest things she had to an arc villain, being Jack and Perospero, were supporting villains who got beaten by other characters.

Carrot so far lacks the biggest things that all the other SHs share, and the best arguments for Carrot so far is that either Carrot is so special that she'll be the first SH who doesn't need them, or that Oda might do something later to swerve the reader.
:cheers:

But yeah, either Oda downgrades the crew by adding 2 useless members in Carrot and Caribou or no one is joining until the upcoming arc...

I don't understand why is this thread still so active ? Wano ended already and we saw all the strawhats on the sunny getting their new bounties, wasn't that commonly recognized as the last possible deadline for someone to join ?
Why are you still arguing about characters that are now out of the story ? It's over

Seatonnes

is probably playing Overwatch 2
I don't understand why is this thread still so active ? Wano ended already and we saw all the strawhats on the sunny getting their new bounties, wasn't that commonly recognized as the last possible deadline for someone to join ?
Why are you still arguing about characters that are now out of the story ? It's over
AHAHAHAHAHA, they havent shown caribou yet, just wait

Some are fans of other candidates, some thinks that Oda is not in full sanity in writing the story moving on so there's a possibility that there would be some useless characters joining, and some are living from their headcanons...

The Tama fans are basically arguing that we're coming back to Wano because the boarders aren't open, to resolve that plot point. And Tama will somehow get a huge power boost to justify joining Luffy right now instead of the epilogue.

We then have the barrel hopium because of how much of a mess Carrot's "conclusion" was.

I hope carrot fans get to be a little happy. Even in victory there are those who desire our skulls on a pike before they will feel joy.... metaphorically speaking of course. Just know they want us to lose but we want to win harder than that desire!!! We want to live!!!

Its not over until its over. What did Oda say he was going to do? He said he was going to show all the world's secrets. There is an island size exposition machine wandering the sea. We are not done with the Minks yet. Carrot is not done, not even close. The queen needs to lead the people to the dawn anyway she can. There are many ways to do this. do not give into sorrow so easily. If this is an L take it with pride. The vile commenters wishing everyday for carrot to die, wishing us pain and humiliation. Do not let them have the joy of breaking your spirit. Stand strong even in victory/defeat.

I still think that Carrot gonna join the Strawhats crew, she has lot of potencial and with some training in haki she would be very powerfull.
Also the fit to the crew, she came alongside with the strawhats to Whole Cake island, her friend die(like the strawhats having someone who die in their past), she was a really good part and add something to the strawhats, I hope Carrot joining them.
I don't think,carrot is gonna join but i think someone new character or may be yamato but her character development is not good ...Tama had good potential to become an straw hat member cause she had good bond with nami and ussop...she was also liked with Luffy and Zoro ...and she has also a unique ability to control animal if she could perform ninjutsu then there was the chance ...caribou is good character but he is not meterial of straw hat cause of his cruelty
Post automatically merged:

I'm telling you. Caribou is gonna be the next member. He is a logia and we know Luffy always wanted a logia in his crew. We know that Ceasar won't join anymore so Caribou is perfect.
No caribou caribou can't become straw hats cause of his cruelty

Status
Not open for further replies.