General & Others Oda is a good or bad writer?

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
What I feel is that Oda has a checklist of things he needs to show and messes up trying to showcase all of them, leading to some weird ass pacing.
Among other little things.
In general, I still think One Piece is above many other stories in its genre, but thats it.

What I feel is that Oda has a checklist of things he needs to show and messes up trying to showcase all of them, leading to some weird ass pacing.
Among other little things.
In general, I still think One Piece is above many other stories in its genre, but thats it.
This is just no real at all
Oda doesnt mess up
And there is no weird ass pacing. If you say something like that you must give examples

Well, there you go...it sounds like you watched the anime and I read the manga, so the avenue by which we consume this series for the first time already highlights why we feel differently. The former gives the canon a chance to breathe and expand on things Oda couldn’t necessarily fit on panel, whereas the latter (to me) is the purest, most distilled form of what he wants the story to be. Maybe it worked better on screen (I haven’t watched the anime in ten years), but in comic form, a lot was left to be desired.
Jew you just watch a episode like 2 weeks ago stop that fake claim LOL

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
This is just no real at all
Oda doesnt mess up
And there is no weird ass pacing. If you say something like that you must give examples
Actually I dont.
Why?
Because on several other threads I've said my mind on things I don't like on Oda's writing, decisions he make that serves no purpose, etc.
I'm not gonna repeat myself each time someone asks me to do it.
You think I'm your high school teacher or something?
:pepecafe:
Want an example?
The scabbards fight against Kaido is completely useless.
It builds up to Zoro scarring Kaido only to be reduced to a middle of chapter thing that immediately gets overshadowed by Luffy mastering CoC coating 1 page later.
More?
The "stairs climb" that lasted multiple chapters for the sole reason of dragging the story enough so we would get Luffy's chapter at the 1000 milestone.

I believe he's a good writer... But that doesn't mean that he's perfect... I myself is not a literary writer nor someone who feeds him/put him in that position so I can't really point out what's wrong... But it's safe to assume that his health problems contributed greatly to most of it...

Dressrosa is far better in retrospect (or taken all at once instead of week-to-week) than I felt while it was being published, so I agree on that. By contrast, WCI is the worst arc in the series to me; the whole thing was a needless side journey that accomplished little other than Brook stealing copies of Linlin’s Poneglyphs and liberating Jinbe from her service so he could join the SHP. It extended the separation of the Straw Hats (still my biggest complaint about this whole series) by several years, turned Sanji into a completely indefensible asshole, provided little to no growth in terms of power OR worldview for anyone but the main character, and didn’t resolve shit since all the players in that arc are still very much active other than Katakuri. I get that he wanted to tell a totally different kind of story than he had before, but 2002 Oda would have done wonders with that arc, whereas 2017 Oda shat in his hand and threw it at us.
Spittin, especially with the WCI slander which too many ppl are scared to criticize for some reason

He is a good world-builder who perseveres in continuing his story and translates them into manga. But storywriting-wise, there's quite an amount who are better than him imo
Like who ?
state one
Man , oda is the best story writer
He is flaws is nearly not seen
Post automatically merged:

Spittin, especially with the WCI slander which too many ppl are scared to criticize for some reason
انت مفروض عربى
بالعكس ارك الكعكة اكتر ارك اندرريتد
و فعلا ارك عظيم بس الناس بتكرهه عشان اسباب تافهة

Actually I dont.
Why?
Because on several other threads I've said my mind on things I don't like on Oda's writing, decisions he make that serves no purpose, etc.
I'm not gonna repeat myself each time someone asks me to do it.
You think I'm your high school teacher or something?
:pepecafe:
Want an example?
The scabbards fight against Kaido is completely useless.
It builds up to Zoro scarring Kaido only to be reduced to a middle of chapter thing that immediately gets overshadowed by Luffy mastering CoC coating 1 page later.
More?
The "stairs climb" that lasted multiple chapters for the sole reason of dragging the story enough so we would get Luffy's chapter at the 1000 milestone.
Lol they are waiting for this moment to revenge but they just lost , and it was the first time we saw kaido fight seriously
By your logic you can say that marineford is useless 😂

Hahaha, you got me...I have watched one episode in the last ten years, which means I’m a Toei Slut™️ just like the rest of you cocksuckers :laughmoji:
Why separating the streahats is bad?
it eas a sneaking mission
It is not a war , so they dont have to take full squad

I wonder how it is a one piece blogger and only two knowa that oda ia a genius 😂

Last edited:
The answer to that question would require actual knowledge on what constitutes a "good writer". Most people usually don't have that and are just gonna make judgements based on stuff they liked/disliked. Which they don't understand is entirely separate.

However one thing that should be pointed out is that I keep seeing the mention of "flaws" as if that were relevant to the discussion. EVERYTHING has flaws. A story/writer doesn't have to be flawless to be considered good. It'd be insane to expect every story or author to be perfect because nothing is. Having flaws doesn't mean a story isn't good. Having flaws doesn't mean an author isn't good at his craft. In the same way that a castle having a few cracks in it doesn't mean it's not a well built castle.

Good writers are good writers not because their flaws don't exist but because their good points outweighs all of that. Theres plenty of issues to take with Togashi, Araki, Kentaro Miura etc. Doesn't mean they're not all excellent at what they do.

To think that Oda of all people isn't up there with the best is nothing short of crazy talk.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Oda, like every writer, has his strengths and weaknesses. His strengths are being able to create a vibrant setting with well established rules, as well as creating instantly likeable characters even on the fly.

His weaknesses, imo, is his sometimes messy arc finishes due to his pension on creating so many characters, and sometimes neglecting to develop them after their initial appearance, instead just regurgitating their same schtick.

overall, I think his pros outweigh his cons.

Neutral for now. Used to place him higher before but his presentation pacing is declining. He need to really work on what is more important to plot and what is not , need to work on his emotions to crop unwanted panels etc.
In short good long term story writer , but an average on weekly basis.

Neutral for now. Used to place him higher before but his presentation pacing is declining. He need to really work on what is more important to plot and what is not , need to work on his emotions to crop unwanted panels etc.
In short good long term story writer , but an average on weekly basis.
Of course he focus on what is important