General & Others Oda is a good or bad writer?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
If big mom is dead katakuri will become the captain of big mom pirates
Just like marco
It is obvious
No mestry
I’m getting the impression that you’re one of those folks who thinks Oda can do no wrong, so there’s no use in pointing out any criticisms because you’ll be able to wave them away without any deeper examination. I have said many times on this forum that art is meant to be subjective and elicit different opinions on the same thing; we can both love One Piece equally while one focuses on the ways in which it’s already great and the other focuses on the ways it can still be improved.

Yep Oda by using Shinobu and the Scabbards tried to make us believe that Oden wasn't in the wrong about his choices, but him cowering to Kaido and Orochi so dumbly and easely and humiliating himself, while costing himself and his people their chance of saving Wano was just too stupid for me to feel respect or any hint of approval about his reasonning.

Kaido was completely right to call Oden a foolish lord (and even he's being too nice to him) and to point out how he could have sparred his country and people from so much suffering and death if he had chosen to keep fighting instead of cowering and humiliating himself.
Oden is the reason for destroying wano
Like whitebeard is the reason for destroying wb pirates , no one is perfect that is the reality
Post automatically merged:

I’m getting the impression that you’re one of those folks who thinks Oda can do no wrong, so there’s no use in pointing out any criticisms because you’ll be able to wave them away without any deeper examination. I have said many times on this forum that art is meant to be subjective and elicit different opinions on the same thing; we can both love One Piece equally while one focuses on the ways in which it’s already great and the other focuses on the ways it can still be improved.
Everybody have issues of course
But your are calling obvious things that we can not call it ab issue

What exactly does the poverty aspect have to do with anything, other than give Luffy additional motivation to beat a character he’d been targeting since Punk Hazard? You’re equating the word “aimless” with meaning there’s no clear goal; defeating Kaido is the aim, anyone can see that...but the war swelling around them, with its many disparate parts failing to coalesce (we see brief snatches of Franky and Sasaki or Usopp/Nami with Ulti/P1 with no resolution or fleshing out) and more players than the author seems to realize, is just meandering outside of the rooftop. You can’t sit here and say that this is anything like Marineford, the arc this one has been and will always be judged by, because the stakes were emphasized way more back then. We know that the winner of the battle in Onigashima will be the front runner for the position of Pirate King, but I’m not the only one who feels like the ends won’t necessarily justify these means.
Oda told us that wano will revail most of the secrets
After killing kaido they will take us to kuzoki clan hidden temples
Representing the reality is what one piece about
You cant just ignore it

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Everybody have issues of course
But your are calling obvious things that we can not call it ab issue
How so? I’m not saying everything he does is problematic or nonsensical, but that doesn’t mean his decisions are beyond reproach. He’s banked a lot of goodwill over the years thanks to the (previously) high quality of his work, and there have been points in this arc - the Oden flashback, the Udon arc, and Orochi’s machinations in general - where that same goodwill is the only reason I and several others were willing to give him a pass. I just don’t know how you could read, say, anywhere between Alabasta and the return to Sabaody, then put it side by side with anything since then and not notice the difference between how characters and events fit together.

Oda is a good writer, one piece is just extremely long so his flaws become more apparent the longer it goes on
What flaws ?

How so? I’m not saying everything he does is problematic or nonsensical, but that doesn’t mean his decisions are beyond reproach. He’s banked a lot of goodwill over the years thanks to the (previously) high quality of his work, and there have been points in this arc - the Oden flashback, the Udon arc, and Orochi’s machinations in general - where that same goodwill is the only reason I and several others were willing to give him a pass. I just don’t know how you could read, say, anywhere between Alabasta and the return to Sabaody, then put it side by side with anything since then and not notice the difference between how characters and events fit together.
I think that dreasrosa and WCI are masterpieces
With their stories and references and their dark realities
Some people hate the WCI because of big mom nose 😂 and ignore its character writing
Dressrosa is long yes but it was great

Yes if target readers are kids or youths. Oda creates a great fantasy world but with very simple story line, and it keeps repeating:

- the chosen one arrives new island
- citizen has hardship due to overwhelming villian
- princess is introduced
- MC is overwhelmed by Villian
- MC got power up, beat villian, become hero (oh and most justification reader made is because "Luffy is the MC". This indicates something...)
- repeat step 1

For me, OP story is no where near HxH, which dares to change the story pattern but surprisingly make it very consistent. There is no argument like "because Gon is the MC". Ironically, the best emotional chapter for me has only text and black panel, which indicates the writing genius (not in drawing aspect though).

Last edited:
I dont totally understand you last sentence
But all the arcs after timeskip was intended
And for me i knew it was coming of course because ot was foreshadowed

Yes if target readers are kids or youths. Oda creates a great fantasy world but with very simple story line, and it keeps repeating:

- the chosen one arrives new island
- citizen has hardship due to overwhelming villian
- princess is introduced
- MC is overwhelmed by Villian
- MC got power up, beat villian, become hero (oh and most justification reader made is because "Luffy is the MC"...)
- repeat step 1

For me, OP story is no where near HxH, which dares to change the story pattern but surprisingly make it very consistent. There is no argument like "because Gon is the MC". Ironically, the best emotional chapter for me has only text and black panel, which indicates the writing genius (not in drawing aspect though).
Lollll
Simple storyline
You are shurely kidding
You just didnt understand what is one piece about
You didnt understand the characters or the ideas
One piece is for adults
Kids wont understand one piece ideas ( i think thats why you didnt understanded it )
You focus on the princess and defeating the villain and you ignore the arc story and the characters story
Meeting the princess and defeating the villain is the crust of the arc
If you think that this is all the arc so you are just not qualified to watch one piece

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
What flaws ?

I think that dreasrosa and WCI are masterpieces
With their stories and references and their dark realities
Some people hate the WCI because of big mom nose 😂 and ignore its character writing
Dressrosa is long yes but it was great
Dressrosa is far better in retrospect (or taken all at once instead of week-to-week) than I felt while it was being published, so I agree on that. By contrast, WCI is the worst arc in the series to me; the whole thing was a needless side journey that accomplished little other than Brook stealing copies of Linlin’s Poneglyphs and liberating Jinbe from her service so he could join the SHP. It extended the separation of the Straw Hats (still my biggest complaint about this whole series) by several years, turned Sanji into a completely indefensible asshole, provided little to no growth in terms of power OR worldview for anyone but the main character, and didn’t resolve shit since all the players in that arc are still very much active other than Katakuri. I get that he wanted to tell a totally different kind of story than he had before, but 2002 Oda would have done wonders with that arc, whereas 2017 Oda shat in his hand and threw it at us.

The 3 major ones for me would be the repetitiveness of his writing in some arcs, PIS of characters when it’s convenient, and the refusal to kill characters even after putting them into situations where they obviously should have died.
Also sabo’s existence
Refusal to kill them how
After time skip
Vergo , monet , pedro , poppin , opera , absalom , yasui are you kidding ?

He is good, I feel if he had written one piece more like a adventure story rather than trying to make it more battle shounen oriented, it would have been great.
Pre Timeskip One Piece
"Zany abilities interacting with each other in a wild sea"
Post Timeskip One Piece
"The Chosen One training his Haki"

I don't know how anyone can defend this.

Lollll
Simple storyline
You are shurely kidding
You just didnt understand what is one piece about
You didnt understand the characters or the ideas
One piece is for adults
Kids wont understand one piece ideas ( i think thats why you didnt understanded it )
You focus on the princess and defeating the villain and you ignore the arc story and the characters story
Meeting the princess and defeating the villain is the crust of the arc
If you think that this is all the arc so you are just not qualified to watch one piece
Proof me wrong. What is the genius OP hidden idea you are talking about? What arc story or characters story that are brilliant? Oden? BM? Luffy? or who? I can't find any of these stories memorable compared with many movies, TV series, anime, manga, jRPG that I have watched/played.

Dressrosa is far better in retrospect (or taken all at once instead of week-to-week) than I felt while it was being published, so I agree on that. By contrast, WCI is the worst arc in the series to me; the whole thing was a needless side journey that accomplished little other than Brook stealing copies of Linlin’s Poneglyphs and liberating Jinbe from her service so he could join the SHP. It extended the separation of the Straw Hats (still my biggest complaint about this whole series) by several years, turned Sanji into a completely indefensible asshole, provided little to no growth in terms of power OR worldview for anyone but the main character, and didn’t resolve shit since all the players in that arc are still very much active other than Katakuri. I get that he wanted to tell a totally different kind of story than he had before, but 2002 Oda would have done wonders with that arc, whereas 2017 Oda shat in his hand and threw it at us.
I think the art style of WCI is perfect
The contrast between the art style and the dark reality of totto land was perfect
Big mom flashback and songs makes her a very well written characters
I watched WCI twice
I realised what i was missing and i listened to big mom songs and fount it important to understand her
The gluttony sin and the way that big mom rules her territory
For me i wolud gave it an easily 9/10