General & Others Oda is a good or bad writer?

I think he's both, good and bad writer at same time

- He's EXCELLENT in presenting new plots, it can be so creative, where he presents something completely new out of the ordinary that makes us discuss how it will pay off for YEARS to come, years of unstoppable discussions!

- He's bad imo in his payoffs for those plots, and he's even worse during the flow/momentum between presenting this plot and the payoff/execution.

So he's basically a human being with strong points and weak points as a writer

I think he's both, good and bad writer at same time

- He's EXCELLENT in presenting new plots, it can be so creative, where he presents something completely new out of the ordinary that makes us discuss how it will pay off for YEARS to come, years of unstoppable discussions!

- He's bad imo in his payoffs for those plots, and he's even worse during the flow/momentum between presenting this plot and the payoff/execution.

So he's basically a human being with strong points and weak points as a writer
Give an example

When it comes to world-building, creativity and foreshadowing he's the best in the biz.

But when it comes to pacing, battles, consistency, tension-building etc... He lacks behind other writers in my opinion.

A lot of time he'll waste time on excessive detail for minor plot points, then skip detail on the things we actually want to see. It's extremely annoying at times. But One Piece remains my favourite manga of all time.

Like who ?
state one
Man , oda is the best story writer
He is flaws is nearly not seen

Try these:
- Code Geass (anime)
- Stein's Gate (anime)
- Ravages of Time (manga/manhua)
- Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria)
- Bastard (Manhwa)

Since all of them are shorter than One Piece, they can write better and more focused about the twist and turns, revelations, clashes, strategies imo. One Piece is very long so the reaponsibility to solidify the plot is also heavier. Imo these four are examples of better-written stories.

When it comes to world-building, creativity and foreshadowing he's the best in the biz.

But when it comes to pacing, battles, consistency, tension-building etc... He lacks behind other writers in my opinion.

A lot of time he'll waste time on excessive detail for minor plot points, then skip detail on the things we actually want to see. It's extremely annoying at times. But One Piece remains my favourite manga of all time.
He never skip details
Post automatically merged:

Try these:
- Code Geass (anime)
- Stein's Gate (anime)
- Ravages of Time (manga/manhua)
- Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria (The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria)
- Bastard (Manhwa)

Since all of them are shorter than One Piece, they can write better and more focused about the twist and turns, revelations, clashes, strategies imo. One Piece is very long so the reaponsibility to solidify the plot is also heavier. Imo these four are examples of better-written stories.
I watched code geass and it is absolutely not better-written than one piece
A fool answer

He never skip details

I watched code geass and it is absolutely not better-written than one piece
A fool answer
Literally in the most recent chapter he skipped details on Zoro's Asura vs Kaido interaction lmfao. And in the chapter before that he skipped details on how everyone survived Hakai. It makes things incredibly unclear at times and when it's so frequent it's annoying.

- Good Plot introduced is Revs and Dragon in specific will create havoc in Reverie...

- Payoff:? Dragon stayed in Kamabakka and sweating over news about Sabo...that's one of the worst payoffs for the Dragon plot in Reverie.

Basically evryone was waiting for Dragon to make his move during that arc, and then? He's getting blowjobs by Ivankov hiding Lol

How so? I’m not saying everything he does is problematic or nonsensical, but that doesn’t mean his decisions are beyond reproach. He’s banked a lot of goodwill over the years thanks to the (previously) high quality of his work, and there have been points in this arc - the Oden flashback, the Udon arc, and Orochi’s machinations in general - where that same goodwill is the only reason I and several others were willing to give him a pass. I just don’t know how you could read, say, anywhere between Alabasta and the return to Sabaody, then put it side by side with anything since then and not notice the difference between how characters and events fit together.
Watch this video
this arc is really underrated
For me it is the best arc after timeskip
It is easily 9/10

Oda is very good at designing characters and places on a superficial level. His wordplay and cultural references are outstanding and he excels at creating iconic and memorable moments in his series.

Where he suffers, however, is in logical consistency and stringing his ideas together. He wanted Sanji to make a cake. He wanted to reveal Sanji’s family and extended backstory. Ultimately delivered in neither aspect with an unsatisfying ending to the Judge/Ichiji/Niji/Sora/Sanji familial bond and an utter failure of a cake plot line that underwhelmed fans and... I would say it underwhelmed Germa too except they never saw the damn thing. Oden carrying his retainers and marching to Orochi’s castle are beautifully drawn. However the reasoning behind the plot line is incredibly weak and there are too many confounding elements for the mature, critically minded reader to enjoy the story fully. Logic went out the window in WCI and seems that Wano is no different. Better to deliver the basics of Shonen (cool designs, cool moments and fights) and do it well than to attempt to be too creative and fail.
Watch this video and you will change your mind

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Watch this video
this arc is really underrated
For me it is the best arc after timeskip
It is easily 9/10

Watch this video and you will change your mind
Hahaha, DDM and I are probably the two least likely people to be swayed by some YouTuber with no review process or oversight...I already come here for the stupidest OP opinions on the Internet, never leave hungry for more :yearight:

Ehh, he's alright.
He turns out to be great a lotta times, but there are times where he ends up being totally retarded.

WCI was the pinnacle of that.

He never skip details
Never.. skip.. details??

:kriwhat:

Mate.. I'm here still fucking salty that Oda made Reverie a 2 fucking chapter arc because the guy couldn't wait to get back to wanking Luffy for 2 damn seconds.. It was literally an arc a lotta people were hyped for back then, and he fucking skipped it.

"Welcome to the Reverie" and then next chapter went back to Luffy.
Smdh. The guy threw out all that plot of Reverie outta the fucking window.

Well, One Piece is the only manga to surpass Dragon Ball for me. I never thought another series would pass it.

Togashi is much more precise, and pays WAY more attention to detail. But let's be real. The HxH worldbuilding is not as great as the One Piece worldbuilding. And I just don't care about the HxH characters as much as I do about One Piece characters. OP has much more soul.

Ehh, he's alright.
He turns out to be great a lotta times, but there are times where he ends up being totally retarded.

Never.. skip.. details??

:kriwhat:

Mate.. I'm here still fucking salty that Oda made Reverie a 2 fucking chapter arc because the guy couldn't wait to get back to wanking Luffy for 2 damn seconds.. It was literally an arc a lotta people were hyped for back then, and he fucking skipped it.

"Welcome to the Reverie" and then next chapter went back to Luffy.
Smdh. The guy threw out all that plot of Reverie outta the fucking window.
To be fair, that happened because of Japanese fans

To mention three huge problems that I have with his writing:

1) He can't make up his mind (wants Pell to sacrifice but won't let him die, wants Pound both dead and alive and writes both plots with obvious inconsistency, etc.).

2) He is too much of an improviser, to the point of publicly commenting on how he may make up the plot of an arc as it's being published already (last time he mentioned this was in Whole Cake, if I recall).

3) He likes to surprise his fans so they don't predict the plot with their theories, to a point that it may harm the overall outcome as fans predicted the best yet most predictable plot (precisely because it was the safest yet best option).

Well, One Piece is the only manga to surpass Dragon Ball for me. I never thought another series would pass it.

Togashi is much more precise, and pays WAY more attention to detail. But let's be real. The HxH worldbuilding is not as great as the One Piece worldbuilding. And I just don't care about the HxH characters as much as I do about One Piece characters. OP has much more soul.
how about reading something that is really good? if for you one piece is all that, your taste is completely horrible and you are satisfied with little. You should explore this world of mangas more, with so many good stories. At the end of the day, you waste time reading one piece and dbz, average manga in the shounen class.

is one piece good and can it be fun? Yes. it's just about. Treating this manga in another way is stupid.

This is very disrespectful. Oda has been one of the best in the business for more than 20 years, I repeat, more than 20 years. This man has been releasing weekly chapters without taking long breaks which is an incredible feat. That said, he has been very average post-timeskip. Even then, he is a very great writer if we consider the overall package.

Last edited:
Oda is a great writer but he's losing his touch in recent years because he's rushing the story.
I think he is afraid to die or maybe he wants to travel the world or something.

how about reading something that is really good? if for you one piece is all that, your taste is completely horrible and you are satisfied with little. You should explore this world of mangas more, with so many good stories. At the end of the day, you waste time reading one piece and dbz, average manga in the shounen class.

is one piece good and can it be fun? Yes. it's just about. Treating this manga in another way is stupid.
This is the stupidest opinion i have ever read
One piece manga is the best manga out there
You cant change this
It is obviously you are naruto fan and too sad that naruto cant be compared to one piece ? Poor boy
Go get a life man . Dont hate a certain manga
It is just manga

Hahaha, DDM and I are probably the two least likely people to be swayed by some YouTuber with no review process or oversight...I already come here for the stupidest OP opinions on the Internet, never leave hungry for more :yearight:
You say that without even watching the video
You are just hating the arc for stupid reasons

No , oda pays more attention to detail than togashi

To mention three huge problems that I have with his writing:

1) He can't make up his mind (wants Pell to sacrifice but won't let him die, wants Pound both dead and alive and writes both plots with obvious inconsistency, etc.).

2) He is too much of an improviser, to the point of publicly commenting on how he may make up the plot of an arc as it's being published already (last time he mentioned this was in Whole Cake, if I recall).

3) He likes to surprise his fans so they don't predict the plot with their theories, to a point that it may harm the overall outcome as fans predicted the best yet most predictable plot (precisely because it was the safest yet best option).
WCI is a masterpiece
When you see how much attention on details you will know that it is impossible to be improvising

Ehh, he's alright.

WCI was great arc

Last edited:
Oda is a great writer. He has some shortcomings that some people have already mentioned but I just want to praise one thing and mention one shortcoming:

- He is one of the best at writing emotional scenes and giving them great build up and impact.

- He gets too lost in details sometimes which leads to dragging some things out when better focus could be placed elsewhere.