General & Others Oda is a good or bad writer?

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
Every single time there is a subject like this people say the same - Oda is the best bcs his world is most fleshed out

Yeah man OP has 1000 chapters ofc his world is fleshed out and rich. Give that many chapters to any series and you will have the same.
Just look at HxH, so much happened and then we learn that everything happened in FUCKING 5% OF THE TOTAL WORLD. That's insane. If HxH had same chapters as OP it would dwarf OP

So IMO giving oda praise for world building is a bit unfair.

However, i think he is a good writer but nowhere near excellent. He is afraid to kill of characters, his main characters are too safe, his vilains are often dumb af, he doesn't care about powerscale, irelevant plot lines and characters and worst of all - low character growth.

He has good qualities i will give him that, but once you start reading OP with brain turned out you start to see all the bad shit. Best way to read OP is to turn off brain

Proof me wrong. What is the genius OP hidden idea you are talking about? What arc story or characters story that are brilliant? Oden? BM? Luffy? or who? I can't find any of these stories memorable compared with many movies, TV series, anime, manga, jRPG that I have watched/played.
A simple example
Flevance city incident
Presented the greed of the mankind and what it would lead them to
Then the genocide because of the disease , which happened in the reality
It was perfect
Many ideas in one piece like this

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I think the art style of WCI is perfect
The contrast between the art style and the dark reality of totto land was perfect
Big mom flashback and songs makes her a very well written characters
I watched WCI twice
I realised what i was missing and i listened to big mom songs and fount it important to understand her
The gluttony sin and the way that big mom rules her territory
For me i wolud gave it an easily 9/10
Well, there you go...it sounds like you watched the anime and I read the manga, so the avenue by which we consume this series for the first time already highlights why we feel differently. The former gives the canon a chance to breathe and expand on things Oda couldn’t necessarily fit on panel, whereas the latter (to me) is the purest, most distilled form of what he wants the story to be. Maybe it worked better on screen (I haven’t watched the anime in ten years), but in comic form, a lot was left to be desired.

his main characters are too safe
I disagree. Usopp used to turn off a lot of new readers because of his personality and pre Timeskip design(like seriously, why Didn't Sanji or Nami give the poor guy some fashion advice). Franky was seen as "too eccentric to be a Strawhat" in Water 7 by the fanbase. Robin wasn't even meant to be a Strawhat at first iirc, which makes sense as her powers are clearly meant for an antagonist.

Even stuff like Zoro using three swords is weird as fuck and would be seen as too goofy in most Modern Shounen.

Of course now people are used to their weird eccentricities, so they seem safe as outside of said eccentricities they are pretty one dimensional.

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
I disagree. Usopp used to turn off a lot of new readers because of his personality and pre Timeskip design(like seriously, why Didn't Sanji or Nami give the poor guy some fashion advice). Franky was seen as "too eccentric to be a Strawhat" in Water 7 by the fanbase. Robin wasn't even meant to be a Strawhat at first iirc, which makes sense as her powers are clearly meant for an antagonist.

Even stuff like Zoro using three swords is weird as fuck and would be seen as too goofy in most Modern Shounen.

Of course now people are used to their weird eccentricities, so they seem safe as outside of said eccentricities they are pretty one dimensional.
safe as in - they are nowhere near in death range

Oda has been fairly consistent when it comes to his storywriting, issues of course can kick in regardless of consistency but it's about minor content in my opinion, like for example Orochi's character just to pull a simple example; well, regardless from the notion his choice was very stylistic, I would of preferred a badass Orochi in Samurai styled armor but c'est la vie.

One piece is a good story, and oda does this story in the fairly tail style.
Even tho its good, its just feels kinda meh some times, if you take in account that Luffy defeated only 10-15 worthy pirates so far and he will defeat 3-4 more till he becomes pirate king feels kinda meh. I mean there are a lot of pirates in ops world, but 99.9% are fodders, it would have been cool if there were more enemies, and the things werent so easy, especially the power system, in just 2 fights(kata, kaido) Luffy evolved more than in all his existence, this just feels bad, but np. It is what it is. But this kinda shits on all luffys enemies prior, they become ants in comparation with him.
And it feels that its gonna become even more absurd in future.

Last edited:
Oda is a good writer. However, his greatest skill comes from world building and creating impactful villains.

His heroes sometimes fall flat in comparison to other shonen manga, black clover for example. And this is due to them lately being overshadowed by side characters where hopefully we won’t have this issue as seriously post wano.

Every single time there is a subject like this people say the same - Oda is the best bcs his world is most fleshed out

Yeah man OP has 1000 chapters ofc his world is fleshed out and rich. Give that many chapters to any series and you will have the same.
Just look at HxH, so much happened and then we learn that everything happened in FUCKING 5% OF THE TOTAL WORLD. That's insane. If HxH had same chapters as OP it would dwarf OP

So IMO giving oda praise for world building is a bit unfair.

However, i think he is a good writer but nowhere near excellent. He is afraid to kill of characters, his main characters are too safe, his vilains are often dumb af, he doesn't care about powerscale, irelevant plot lines and characters and worst of all - low character growth.

He has good qualities i will give him that, but once you start reading OP with brain turned out you start to see all the bad shit. Best way to read OP is to turn off brain
That is the fvking problem
You watch one piece with no brain so you dont understand any of its idea so you think it is like any other shonen
You just didnt understand it
He afraid to kill characters ? Lol he kills characters at least more than isyama
One piece is not for small minded person like you
If you dont see him as an excellent writer so you are just hater
Post automatically merged:

Oda is a good writer. However, his greatest skill comes from world building and creating impactful villains.

His heroes sometimes fall flat in comparison to other shonen manga, black clover for example. And this is due to them lately being overshadowed by side characters where hopefully we won’t have this issue as seriously post wano.
Wtf man
Fairy tail
And fall flat to black clover heroes
Are you serious? Of course not
Luffy is the best shonen hero of course

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
That is the fvking problem
You watch one piece with no brain so you dont understand any of its idea so you think it is like any other shonen
You just didnt understand it
He afraid to kill characters ? Lol he kills characters at least more than isyama
One piece is not for small minded person like you
If you dont see him as an excellent writer so you are just hater

Wtf man
Fairy tail
And fall flat to black clover heroes
Are you serious? Of course not
Luffy is the best shonen hero of course
You okay man?

One piece is a good story, and oda does this story in the fairly tail style.
Even tho its good, its just feels kinda meh some times, if you take in account that Luffy defeated only 10-15 worthy pirates so far and he will defeat 3-4 more till he becomes pirate king feels kinda meh. I mean there are a lot of pirates in ops world, but 99.9% are fodders, it would have been cool if there were more enemies, and the things werent so easy, especially the power system, in just 2 fights(kata, kaido) Luffy evolved more than in all his existence, this just feels bad, but np. It is what it is. But this kinda shits on all luffys enemies prior, they become ants in comaration with him.
And it feels that its gonna become even more absurd in future.
Luffy wont beat kaido
Blackbeard will be the pirate king

obviously not
Who can be good after reading these shit comments

To the average person One Piece is probably super enjoyable. Binging One Piece is a great experience.

The problem is that once you really dissect One Piece and close look at every character trait and plot point there are some inconsistencies which people here like to point out. One Piece isn’t the best weekly read.

Some series like Breaking Bad and ASOIAF get better the more you analyze it. But One Piece has to be released weekly and so Oda can’t perfect it. It’s taken George RR Martin 10+ years to try and make his next book perfect, Oda doesn’t have near that luxury

To the average person One Piece is probably super enjoyable. Binging One Piece is a great experience.

The problem is that once you really dissect One Piece and close look at every character trait and plot point there are some inconsistencies which people here like to point out. One Piece isn’t the best weekly read.

Some series like Breaking Bad and ASOIAF get better the more you analyze it. But One Piece has to be released weekly and so Oda can’t perfect it. It’s taken George RR Martin 10+ years to try and make his next book perfect, Oda doesn’t have near that luxury
The opposite
One piece gets better when you analyze it
It is all about the details
The more you analyze it the more you know how great is it
Oda is a genius so he can perfect it

one piece is about the details
You must focus on the details to know its greatness

The opposite
One piece gets better when you analyze it
It is all about the details
The more you analyze it the more you know how great is it
Oda is a genius so he can perfect it

one piece is about the details
You must focus on the details to know its greatness
I’m not saying that One piece is good to analyze. There’s a lot of good stuff to connect. I’m saying that peoples critique of Oda’s writing comes from looking closely at his writing. And that Oda is at a disadvantage to writing something weekly rather than having as much time as he needs to perfect the plot.

A simple example
Flevance city incident
Presented the greed of the mankind and what it would lead them to
Then the genocide because of the disease , which happened in the reality
It was perfect
Many ideas in one piece like this
I dont know. I dont think it is enough to make OP story genius. You can find this kind of plot elsewhere... And even that story is good, it just 0.01% of one piece as a whole. What about 99.99% left. Wano, FI, Dressrosa, WCI, etc. People have different taste, for me it just meh. I now mostly follow OP because of the community and my favorite character.

I’m not saying that One piece is good to analyze. There’s a lot of good stuff to connect. I’m saying that peoples critique of Oda’s writing comes from looking closely at his writing. And that Oda is at a disadvantage to writing something weekly rather than having as much time as he needs to perfect the plot.
I think that peoples critics comes from not looking clolsely at his writing so they cqnt know how perfect is it
Of course he has issues but less than any other mangaka

I dont know. I dont think it is enough to make OP story genius. You can find this kind of plot elsewhere... And even that story is good, it just 0.01% of one piece as a whole. What about 99.99% left. Wano, FI, Dressrosa, WCI, etc. People have different taste, for me it just meh. I now mostly follow OP because of the community and my favorite character.
It is just a simple example
One piece have many ideas like that if you just concentrated on it
And you see that you can find a story like flevance in any other work ?
it is a lie of course

He is obviously an excellent writer. I do have some issues when he focuses on side characters like dwarves or giant kids. He also sometimes likes to follow the same formula. That said, I don't think any other manga artist could write a story with such scope that even on Chapter 1000, people are entertained and engaged. He is clearly a creative genius.

I've read that writers can be grouped into gardeners and architects. Gardeners find their story by just writing, while architects have nearly every important detail mapped out. Oda seems to be the best of both worlds. Foreshadowing things hundreds of chapters before, while also making changes as he goes along.

Oda is a good writer but has many flaws. That’s okay for me but I don’t understand how people defend him like he’s untouchable?!
I love the world of One piece, the message, the adventure and the variety of fractions and characters.
From the SHs I only really like Zoro, Robin and Jinbe, the rest is okay or I don’t like them.
Luffy is a mid~bad MC but that are the most Shonen MCs in my eyes.
The biggest flaw for me is the lack of tension. I know that everything is gonna be alright and that nobody is gonna die.

Honestly, I feel ASOIAF will age poorly once the Post Modern Obsession with Hyperrealism dies off

Oda is a good writer but has many flaws. That’s okay for me but I don’t understand how people defend him like he’s untouchable?!
I love the world of One piece, the message, the adventure and the variety of fractions and characters.
From the SHs I only really like Zoro, Robin and Jinbe, the rest is okay or I don’t like them.
Luffy is a mid~bad MC but that are the most Shonen MCs in my eyes.
The biggest flaw for me is the lack of tension. I know that everything is gonna be alright and that nobody is gonna die.
How is this ? Pedro died to make the strawhats live
And more than one chracter will die in wano
And the marineford arc
Tell me about a manga in which the MC lose a war