Rate this chapter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gorosei Informer

Btw I'm late the conversation (got errands to do lol) but I wouldn't be too opposed to Nami seriously developing a "Charm" stat like in a RPG like what she pulled off in the Seducing Woods against BM's homies...
But then again I'm talking about something that happened like 300 chapters ago and since then, Oda made clear again and again that the "charming" part of Nami is other people looking at her tits when she doesn't want to...
Aye haha, we do have it already with Boa ofc but it would be very fitting for Nami too as you said. Oda just loves sexploiting Nami though instead. I wouldn't be so bothered about it if at least he made her much stronger, more competent and thus a lot less fragile/helpless/cowardy and such, a more Yamato-like figure.

Smoothie should have been amazing in this regard but she's been shown to be so incompetent and it makes me sad for her as she has amazing potential and given what Katakuri and Cracker are like, the fact she couldn't get the same focus and shine they did makes me furious. What was honestly the point of bringing Smoothie and the others to Wano Oda? Sigh.

But yeah, I'm just dreading Nami vs Devon now for the reasons we've discussed here and before too. For both character's sakes too. Or whoever Nami faces including in other arcs/places too.

No worries anyway haha, errands take priority ofc!

Aye haha, we do have it already with Boa ofc but it would be very fitting for Nami too as you said. Oda just loves sexploiting Nami though instead. I wouldn't be so bothered about it if at least he made her much stronger, more competent and thus a lot less fragile/helpless/cowardy and such, a more Yamato-like figure.
THIS! SO MUCH THIS!
I hate to repeat myself but pre TS Oda managed to find the perfect balance between sexy and strong for Nami. I know it sounds like I hate fanservice in general but that's not true, I loved Nami specifically because Oda managed to write a competent yet beautiful figure like her... Remember Alabasta? We got Nami in a sexy dancing outfit AND HER FIRST BATTLE THAT SHE WON TOO! Not only that but Oda also used the bath chapter during Alabasta ending to further develop her relationship with Vivi... Post TS it's like day and night... I already had in mind a bunch of random thoughts for specific arcs on how to fix Nami there but I dunno if anyone is interested enough to read them lol
Post automatically merged:

It's the old school Japanese male way of thinking I think.
He's even said he writes for 15 year olds.
How utterly boring and terrible strategy.
Nami's treatment post TS really shows Oda's old age both physically and mentally, really sad stuff to witness

G

Gorosei Informer

I hate to repeat myself but pre TS Oda managed to find the perfect balance between sexy and strong for Nami. I know it sounds like I hate fanservice in general but that's not true, I loved Nami specifically because Oda managed to write a competent yet beautiful figure like her... Remember Alabasta? We got Nami in a sexy dancing outfit AND HER FIRST BATTLE THAT SHE WON TOO! Not only that but Oda also used the bath chapter during Alabasta ending to further develop her relationship with Vivi... Post TS it's like day and night... I already had in mind a bunch of random thoughts for specific arcs on how to fix Nami there but I dunno if anyone is interested enough to read them lol
Thats exactly it, it felt like a much finer, more careful and thus respectful balance pre TS. Now like many other things its flanderised/dumbed down/exaggerated to the point of self parody.

I loved Nami's relationship with Vivi and it kinda feels like Oda tried to replicate it with Carrot too, I kept seeing people insist Carrot is the new Vivi and won't join permanently due to this either. Vivi kinda felt like another sister for Nami, maybe another Nojiko but definitely a BFF?

I'd definitely be interested but even talking about this kind of topic is so controversial to a lot of OP fans and on here especially. Honestly, Yamato feels like how Nami could and should have been. I have similar hopes for Gerd but given Smoothie, it could go either way ofc.

Alabasta is one of my fave arcs for many reasons including what you mentioned. I love the Doublefinger fight so much. I became an even much bigger fan of Nami after it than I already was tbh.

G

Gorosei Informer

Yup it's about respecting your character that's all
I don't mind Nami being the center of a gag moment once or twice but what Oda's been doing too much
Yeah thats exactly it. It makes me think how he constantly clowns on and disrespects Big Mom compared to the other Yonkos and she is the only female one too. Doesn't help Oda said mothers are the "death of all adventures" or at least the opposite of them? Oda really has an issue with mothers and I can say that from immense, overwhelming actual experience too ofc.

Both her and Sanji have been so over the top post TS, along with Franky and Usopp imo. I died inside when I saw Monster Chopper doing the fucking Chopper dance too. Imagine Chopper "Fortnite dancing" for the OP equivalent of Tiktok?... Oh no...what have I done!? QUICK, GET THE BUSTER CALL! (Joking ofc)

:kuzanope::lawsigh::kidwat::sanjimeh:

Yeah thats exactly it. It makes me think how he constantly clowns on and disrespects Big Mom compared to the other Yonkos and she is the only female one too. Doesn't help Oda said mothers are the "death of all adventures" or at least the opposite of them? Oda really has an issue with mothers and I can say that from immense, overwhelming actual experience too ofc.

Both her and Sanji have been so over the top post TS, along with Franky and Usopp imo. I died inside when I saw Monster Chopper doing the fucking Chopper dance too. Imagine Chopper "Fortnite dancing" for the OP equivalent of Tiktok?... Oh no...what have I done!? QUICK, GET THE BUSTER CALL! (Joking ofc)

:kuzanope::lawsigh::kidwat::sanjimeh:
I know I rant about specifically post TS but I feel like Nami and Sanji's mistreatment actually started in pre TS after EL, with the whole Thriller Bark and Absalom plot...
Post automatically merged:

Well It matters to oda:kayneshrug:
:handsup::handsup::handsup:

G

Gorosei Informer

I know I rant about specifically post TS but I feel like Nami and Sanji's mistreatment actually started in pre TS after EL, with the whole Thriller Bark and Absalom plot...
100%. That Absalom plot deeply disturbed me a lot, especially someone who has experienced similar behaviours from other people in the past various times. In fact it was happening to me not long before that aired too lol.

I really felt Oda was going too far with the Nami shower scene and Absalom molesting her in there or at least trying to. I actually became an even bigger Sanji fan because of his sheer outrage over that despite being a pervert himself (but a gentlemanly one) and practically turning Super Saiyan and kicking Absalom's ass so hard. Watching Sanji beat down on Absalom was so cathartic.

Kinda ironic that TB is my favourite arc to think of it too then. I may have to change that stance/viewpoint lmao. Kalifa also proper hard kicked Sanji in the balls back then at Enies ofc and it was brutal.

100%. That Absalom plot deeply disturbed me a lot, especially someone who has experienced similar behaviours from other people in the past various times. In fact it was happening to me not long before that aired too lol.

I really felt Oda was going too far with the Nami shower scene and Absalom molesting her in there or at least trying to. I actually became an even bigger Sanji fan because of his sheer outrage over that despite being a pervert himself (but a gentlemanly one) and practically turning Super Saiyan and kicking Absalom's ass so hard. Watching Sanji beat down on Absalom was so cathartic.

Kinda ironic that TB is my favourite arc to think of it too then. I may have to change that stance/viewpoint lmao. Kalifa also proper hard kicked Sanji in the balls back then at Enies ofc and it was brutal.
I'll go out on a limb and say that shower scene with Nami and Absalom was """fine""" in the context of Oda presenting Nami's villain for TB (and even that had dumb shit like Usopp thanking Nami for the free view lol Come on Oda...)
What was actually weird to me was the response after that happened in the crew... Usopp and Chopper both treat Nami almost being molested as nothing too serious, they didn't really seem to be bothered by it. Even Nami's reaction is so weird, when she meets Absalom again she treats him like a normal peeping tom and there's really no mention whatsoever of Absalom actually being physical with Nami. Of course at the end Oda still has Nami deliver the final blow on Absalom which was nice but still... Oda didn't really know how to develop such a heavy scene in retrospect IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.