Rate this chapter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feel like this chapter is a huge mixed bag. The main problem is Luffy's fruit being a Mythical Zoan really breaks the power-system of One Piece, because Mythical Zoans can be anything now. Before this chapter Mythical Zoans were based off of myths we were already familiar with (Phoenix, Dragon, Buddha), in other words, they're myths from the real world. The problem with Nika is that Nika is a myth in context of the One Piece world only. Oda's worldbuilding is nice, but its not so detailed in the sense that we know of the various myths that exist along the civilizations that exist in the North, West, East, and South Blue. This causes two problems, the first is that this essentially allows Oda the possibility of just making up a god, and then ten chapters later being like "Oh, here's the fruit for it, its a mythical zoan.". And because he doesn't get into that lore in One Piece, and they're also not based on myths in real life, Oda can just make the power be whatever. Like seriously, why would a SUN-god have a RUBBER body? What is the logical connection there other than Oda thinking its a cool idea? The second issue is that all of the fruits that we have seen can actually be mythical zoans as well. For example, Akainu's fruit, instead of being the Magma-Magma logia, can really just being another human-human fruit model Hephaetus or Vulcan from Greek/Roman mythology and you'd get the exact same powers.
When you factor in that Oda is normally REALLY good at foreshadowing, with the fact that we didn't even know who Nika was or that there was something special about Luffy's fruit until THIS arc makes me think this really is just a big retcon. I feel like if it happened in any other series (Naruto *cough*) people would be quick to call out the issues here, but its One Piece so people are trying to make sense out of something that might just be incoherent.

Original meme by yours truly 😤
Oda's greatest parallel to the corruption in our world to date! :P
Post automatically merged:

I feel like this chapter is a huge mixed bag. The main problem is Luffy's fruit being a Mythical Zoan really breaks the power-system of One Piece, because Mythical Zoans can be anything now. Before this chapter Mythical Zoans were based off of myths we were already familiar with (Phoenix, Dragon, Buddha), in other words, they're myths from the real world. The problem with Nika is that Nika is a myth in context of the One Piece world only. Oda's worldbuilding is nice, but its not so detailed in the sense that we know of the various myths that exist along the civilizations that exist in the North, West, East, and South Blue. This causes two problems, the first is that this essentially allows Oda the possibility of just making up a god, and then ten chapters later being like "Oh, here's the fruit for it, its a mythical zoan.". And because he doesn't get into that lore in One Piece, and they're also not based on myths in real life, Oda can just make the power be whatever. Like seriously, why would a SUN-god have a RUBBER body? What is the logical connection there other than Oda thinking its a cool idea? The second issue is that all of the fruits that we have seen can actually be mythical zoans as well. For example, Akainu's fruit, instead of being the Magma-Magma logia, can really just being another human-human fruit model Hephaetus or Vulcan from Greek/Roman mythology and you'd get the exact same powers.
When you factor in that Oda is normally REALLY good at foreshadowing, with the fact that we didn't even know who Nika was or that there was something special about Luffy's fruit until THIS arc makes me think this really is just a big retcon. I feel like if it happened in any other series (Naruto *cough*) people would be quick to call out the issues here, but its One Piece so people are trying to make sense out of something that might just be incoherent.
I'm waiting for someone to get a fruit of a guy who got stoned & ate so much taco bell, it was legendary.

Zoro fans mad Luffy isn't possessed by a 800 year old ghost and have to deal with the fact that Zoro can only barely beat the weakest YC1 with Oden's Haki blade that only saved him from losing because it heard Oden's favorite song played by Hiyori

:kobeha:

yeah you might be dude. you might be extremely stupid because theyve been trying to assassinate him since enies lobby. the only time they werent sending shichibukai or cipher pol or admirals to kill him personally are the times hes been in yonko territory. you cant fucking read.
Except he's not stupid, he can read. They weren't hunting him down since Enies Lobby cuz of his devil fruit, they hunted him down cuz he was the son of dragon and was becoming a problem and had Nico Robin.

the legendary df or toon powers? I like the toon powers but I can see why people are turned off by the DF
just a lot of dumb shit tbqh.

Disclaimer: Thoughts of 2 friends of mine *and* myself. I agree with what is written here.

- Luffy not earning this powerup, he already got adv. CoC without putting in any effort. Previous battles he always learned something new our figured out weaknesses or simply was strong enough already. This also kills the entire tension that started to build up last Chapter. For the first time in Onigashima all hope felt really lost and i thought we'd finally get "the darkest moment" like we get every major one piece arc. It was a good chapter, but not enough for what wano is needing. They aren't struggling for their victory. Literally next Chapter Luffy is up again. These defeats Luffy received aren't meaningful if they can't create a lasting impact. There are no consequences that result for the alliance out of him losing. And the worst of all imo is that he actually gets rewarded for losing by getting his DF Awakening all of a sudden. And also...it can restart Luffy's heartbeat apparently? How can we take any fight in the future seriously when Nika's ability can just restart Luffy's heartbeat?

If Luffy was going to get something like this I would want it to be something with training and some kind of realization. I dunno anything but him literally losing and then it suddenly activating.

- World Govt being absolutely incompetent. Ordering to Capture Robin, but then suddenly oh wait, Rubber fruit which they forgot to chase even if they were trying to for the past 800 years.

- Generally the Page layout was dumb this Chapter twice. Like Page 4-5 it would be a lot more impactful if you would flip the page and read "NIKA" with Luffy in front of the moon.
Or in the end, where the "Gear 5 form" gets revealed.
Could've perfectly make them single pages. Flipping the page and seeing "Bam, Gear 5" hits a lot harder. The way it's laid out in a double spread kills the momentum.

(Also, Gears should be clever ways of using the properties of his body not a thing that every fruit can do imo)

- I'm not sure there's any reason for it to be a zoan fruit when what it does seems like something you could just call "the rubber fruit awakening." It's not total bullshit in the sense that like... you could call Marco's fruit the bird-fire-regeneration fruit and that's not really any different from it being the phoenix fruit. It's just a creature that has that power, so it's just a creature that has rubber powers.
- It is, however, bullshit in that the story just never set this up until really recently with the Nika stuff. It just didn't need this.

The point of introducing Nika is just to explain that there's a mythical zoan of the concept
Like when there is a phoenix fruit Oda doesn't have to explain the phoenix myth too much because we know the myth irl
But for a fictional myth he has to establish that the myth exists
There isn't like a single phoenix actually in the setting in any relevant way just so we can have someone with the phoenix fruit

- It creates massive plot holes that the world government never acted upon this. Maybe you can explain it with it being a secret only even the Gorosei know and they didn't want to make it public, idk. But it feels bullshit.
- Luffy vs. Katakuri is unironically kind of ruined.
Luffy vs. Katakuri is about Luffy overcoming someone qualitatively better than him. 57 to 56. Literally his fruit but better doing the same things but more powerfully.
Now it turns out Luffy had the better fruit all along.
- The fruit being one of the most special and wanted fruits ever feels unnecessary

- Even if Luffy isn't explicitly chosen or fated, I think it feels unnecessary for him to probably have the same fruit as Joyboy. This essentially changes the narrative from Luffy just being some guy with a fruit to Luffy being a random kid who by dumb stupid luck happened to get an important fruit and master it due to his creativit.
- But it also changes the narrative so instead of Luffy being able to reach becoming Joyboy like anyone could try to, Luffy kind of is the only one who could have, if he had the fruit. Though it will probably play it as Luffy having the same fruit isn't like, an actual requirement for what Joyboy needs to do.
- It's not him being an actual chosen one but it does weaken the existing narrative's ideas of Luffy working hard for it and Joyboy being a role to fulfill.

The problem is just what this implies about the overall narrative. It's not as bad as if he was literally chosen but him having a more powerful fruit than we realized and probably the same fruit as Joyboy makes it feel like Luffy's overall journey is a result of something external to him rather than internal.

---------------------------------------------------
What I hoped vs what we found out.

The WG probably only learnt it was special just now -->they've been hunting this DF for 800 years

Luffy awakened completely on his own accord --> Luffys DF literally has a mind of its own because it is a Zoan, i.e. if Luffy was a paramecia this wouldn't have happened

Luffy will need to adapt to his new power-->Luffy instantly, instinctually knows what to do

Luffy is just LIKE Joyboy, or "earned" the Joyboy status-->Luffy literally ate the Savior God Joyboy Nika DF in the first chapter of the series, Nikas spirit literally lives on inside him

just a lot of dumb shit tbqh.

Disclaimer: Thoughts of 2 friends of mine *and* myself. I agree with what is written here.

- Luffy not earning this powerup, he already got adv. CoC without putting in any effort. Previous battles he always learned something new our figured out weaknesses or simply was strong enough already. This also kills the entire tension that started to build up last Chapter. For the first time in Onigashima all hope felt really lost and i thought we'd finally get "the darkest moment" like we get every major one piece arc. It was a good chapter, but not enough for what wano is needing. They aren't struggling for their victory. Literally next Chapter Luffy is up again. These defeats Luffy received aren't meaningful if they can't create a lasting impact. There are no consequences that result for the alliance out of him losing. And the worst of all imo is that he actually gets rewarded for losing by getting his DF Awakening all of a sudden. And also...it can restart Luffy's heartbeat apparently? How can we take any fight in the future seriously when Nika's ability can just restart Luffy's heartbeat?

If Luffy was going to get something like this I would want it to be something with training and some kind of realization. I dunno anything but him literally losing and then it suddenly activating.

- World Govt being absolutely incompetent. Ordering to Capture Robin, but then suddenly oh wait, Rubber fruit which they forgot to chase even if they were trying to for the past 800 years.

- Generally the Page layout was dumb this Chapter twice. Like Page 4-5 it would be a lot more impactful if you would flip the page and read "NIKA" with Luffy in front of the moon.
Or in the end, where the "Gear 5 form" gets revealed.
Could've perfectly make them single pages. Flipping the page and seeing "Bam, Gear 5" hits a lot harder. The way it's laid out in a double spread kills the momentum.

(Also, Gears should be clever ways of using the properties of his body not a thing that every fruit can do imo)

- I'm not sure there's any reason for it to be a zoan fruit when what it does seems like something you could just call "the rubber fruit awakening." It's not total bullshit in the sense that like... you could call Marco's fruit the bird-fire-regeneration fruit and that's not really any different from it being the phoenix fruit. It's just a creature that has that power, so it's just a creature that has rubber powers.
- It is, however, bullshit in that the story just never set this up until really recently with the Nika stuff. It just didn't need this.

The point of introducing Nika is just to explain that there's a mythical zoan of the concept
Like when there is a phoenix fruit Oda doesn't have to explain the phoenix myth too much because we know the myth irl
But for a fictional myth he has to establish that the myth exists
There isn't like a single phoenix actually in the setting in any relevant way just so we can have someone with the phoenix fruit

- It creates massive plot holes that the world government never acted upon this. Maybe you can explain it with it being a secret only even the Gorosei know and they didn't want to make it public, idk. But it feels bullshit.
- Luffy vs. Katakuri is unironically kind of ruined.
Luffy vs. Katakuri is about Luffy overcoming someone qualitatively better than him. 57 to 56. Literally his fruit but better doing the same things but more powerfully.
Now it turns out Luffy had the better fruit all along.
- The fruit being one of the most special and wanted fruits ever feels unnecessary

- Even if Luffy isn't explicitly chosen or fated, I think it feels unnecessary for him to probably have the same fruit as Joyboy. This essentially changes the narrative from Luffy just being some guy with a fruit to Luffy being a random kid who by dumb stupid luck happened to get an important fruit and master it due to his creativit.
- But it also changes the narrative so instead of Luffy being able to reach becoming Joyboy like anyone could try to, Luffy kind of is the only one who could have, if he had the fruit. Though it will probably play it as Luffy having the same fruit isn't like, an actual requirement for what Joyboy needs to do.
- It's not him being an actual chosen one but it does weaken the existing narrative's ideas of Luffy working hard for it and Joyboy being a role to fulfill.

The problem is just what this implies about the overall narrative. It's not as bad as if he was literally chosen but him having a more powerful fruit than we realized and probably the same fruit as Joyboy makes it feel like Luffy's overall journey is a result of something external to him rather than internal.

---------------------------------------------------
What I hoped vs what we found out.

The WG probably only learnt it was special just now -->they've been hunting this DF for 800 years

Luffy awakened completely on his own accord --> Luffys DF literally has a mind of its own because it is a Zoan, i.e. if Luffy was a paramecia this wouldn't have happened

Luffy will need to adapt to his new power-->Luffy instantly, instinctually knows what to do

Luffy is just LIKE Joyboy, or "earned" the Joyboy status-->Luffy literally ate the Savior God Joyboy Nika DF in the first chapter of the series, Nikas spirit literally lives on inside him
Too much of a contrived opinion and misplaced interpretations. One statement of learning adCoC without any 'effort' and another statement of I wouldn't have minded Luffy 'realized' something. Quite a paradox. Only thing that is perfectly true from your while bunch of nonsense is that losses are meaningless and Odas biggest ever mistake.