Rate this chapter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I agree that the fight (and the arc) should have ended a while ago. At least the end is in sight, but I have been wrong about that before. Is it Gear 5th for the fifth fight between Luffy and Kaido? (It is the fifth one, right?)
Hahaha, shit, I never put that together…anyway, having the protagonist pull another in a countless number of power ups out of his Awakened ass to manhandle a guy who left him for dead nearly half a dozen times over the span of two weeks is REALLY competent story telling!! :halt:

I managed to avoid spoilers so I came into the chapter with no expectations and... I don't know how to feel about this retcon. It makes the WG look completely incompetent by not putting more effort into catching Luffy, and I don't know how I feel about the super cartoony Jim Carrey's Mask aesthetic and tone.

This is probably one of the biggest reveals in the series' history, if not the biggest - I'm grateful that I'm able to witness it all unfold in present time, but at the same time I can't say I'm super happy with this new twist... I think I'll need more time to take it in and find a way to cope
:jackcopium:
Just wait until gear5 shits on Kaido,you will like it then.I'm getting Nightmare Luffy vibes here,he even pulled the same move he used on Oars back in thriller bark.

No wonder Blackbeard targeted the darkness fruit and it's cancelling ability, he knew this overpowered BS was going to get in his way eventually. Lol
The ability to nullify other DF is an overpowered BS from the start. We just dont feel that its an asspull since BB is not the MC. Imagine Luffy nullifying Kaidou's dragon forms in Wano by Yami2, similarly overpowered effect. Nika's rubbery body is still rubber, its just that Luffy uses its full potential by having a Toon World style imagination in combat. Any other fighters won't accomplish that freely-increasing muscle mass stuff or changing the ground to have reflective law of physics lol, it's the extent of Luffy's imagination and application of freedom that's entirely unique and amazing.

S

Sasaki Kojirō

I can not stop laughing.
Kaido at a distance causes more fear in the elders than akainu in person talking to them. LOL
:suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure:
:gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::doffytroll::doffytroll::doffytroll::doffytroll:

The elders who don't even pass information to the court jester, better known as fleet admiral, who arrived furious at the elders office and the elders didn't give a damn and still made fun of him. Akainu is indeed a court jester.

Now that Oda has officially gone through with the retcon change, I really do hope he has a great explanation because as it stands this is pretty damn awful because it is so unnecessary.

I'll probably create another thread for it, but the amount of inconsistencies it introduces is actually wild. As for the change in name itself, I don't like it.

- Luffy has now gone from having one of the most common and mundane fruits to having one of the rarest, and one so special that the WG even changed it's name. They didn't even do such a thing for Blackbeard's fruit which he stated was the most "evil" fruit in history.

- The fruit is even more special because apparently you can't even do the basic Zoan transformation into your creature that every other Zoan fruit allows unless you specifically awaken it. I've already seen a lot of attempts to excuse this away (like needing haki despite no other fruit having such a random requirement) and none of them really work.

- It is just very lazy because Oda had to create an imaginary in-verse character that had the specific attributes to explain the abilities of the fruit because no existing mythical figure actually fit it (what does rubber have to do with the sun?)...and he did so last minute, just a short while before the actual reveal in a shoehorned conversation between Jimbe & Who's Who.

- There's the obvious insane incompetence of the WG it creates as well. Sure we'll have to wait for some sort of attempt to explain it, but the very fact that the Gorosei don't know is a big problem in and of itself. Every single attempt I've seen to address this at the moment is so full of holes it's laughable. My current fear is that the attempt to explain it away will only make it worse.

Besides all that, there's the meta implication that the race for the One Piece has just been a fool's errand if you didn't eat the right fruit. Roger wanted to meet Joyboy, but to become Joyboy you had to eat Joyboy's fruit.
It's such an odd change because any impact of actually succeeding just works so much better with the gomu gomu no mi. Using one of the most despised and mundane abilities to the utmost against opponents with superior abilities vs. secretly having one of the rarest and most special abilities all along but just being unable to use it due to random restrictions.
Cherished victories don't seem so great when it wasn't really a big cat against a rubber ball, but a mere leopard against Sun God Nika. The optics just looks bad regardless of restrictions and effort.

Anyway, as for the ability itself: Gear 5 is fine. I am not a fan of the toon force affecting opponents though and believe it would be better if it were just Luffy and his environment. It doesn't do the arc that has suffered from lack of tension any favours when Luffy got up from a defeat laughing his ass off and surprised that he actually got a stronger ability he didn't know or expect to have. I expect (more like hope) that it's toned down for the finale for a satisfying end because Kaido has serious crimes to answer for, but I guess we'll see.

Edit: I like the design more than Gear 3, Boundman & Tankman, but I still think Gear 2 and Snakeman look better.

Last edited:
Now that Oda has officially gone through with the retcon change, I really do hope he has a great explanation because as it stands this is pretty damn awful because it is so unnecessary.

I'll probably create another thread for it, but the amount of inconsistencies it introduces is actually wild. As for the change in name itself, I don't like it.

- Luffy has now gone from having one of the most common and mundane fruits to having one of the rarest, and one so special that the WG even changed it's name. They didn't even do such a thing for Blackbeard's fruit which he stated was the most "evil" fruit in history.

- The fruit is even more special because apparently you can't even do the basic Zoan transformation into your creature that every other Zoan fruit allows unless you specifically awaken it. I've already seen a lot of attempts to excuse this away (like needing haki despite no other fruit having such a random requirement) and none of them really work.

- It is just very lazy because Oda had to create an imaginary in-verse character that had the specific attributes to explain the abilities of the fruit because no existing mythical figure actually fit it (what does rubber have to do with the sun?)...and he did so last minute, just a short while before the actual reveal in a shoehorned conversation between Jimbe & Who's Who.

- There's the obvious insane incompetence of the WG it creates as well. Sure we'll have to wait for some sort of attempt to explain it, but the very fact that the Gorosei don't know is a big problem in and of itself. Every single attempt I've seen to address this at the moment is so full of holes it's laughable. My current fear is that the attempt to explain it away will only make it worse.

Besides all that, there's the meta implication that the race for the One Piece has just been a fool's errand if you didn't eat the right fruit. Roger wanted to meet Joyboy, but to become Joyboy you had to eat Joyboy's fruit.
It's such an odd change because any impact of actually succeeding just works so much better with the gomu gomu no mi. Using one of the most despised and mundane abilities to the utmost against opponents with superior abilities vs. secretly having one of the rarest and most special abilities all along but just being unable to use it due to random restrictions.
Cherished victories don't seem so great anymore when it wasn't really a big cat against a rubber ball, but a mere leopard against Sun God Nika. The optics just looks bad regardless of restrictions and effort.

Anyway, as for the ability itself: Gear 5 is fine. I am not a fan of the toon force affecting opponents though and believe it would be better if it were just Luffy and his environment. It doesn't do the arc that has suffered from lack of tension any favours when Luffy got up from a defeat laughing his ass off and surprised that he actually got a stronger ability he didn't know or expect to have. I expect (more like hope) that it's toned down for the finale for a satisfying end because Kaido has serious crimes to answer for, but I guess we'll see.
Agreed about Toon Force should only applied to Luffy's body and environment only, heck even if only affect's Luffy's own body and nothing else itll be better than affecting enemies into Toon:cheers:

do you realize that all those who heard luffy's voice or his haki, their faces look disjointed?

kidd, what the?
marco...muguiwara?
Sanji, Luffy?
etc, they know it's luffy, but there is something strange in his voice or his presence, that's what zunisha refers to, joy boy is really here, sharing a place with luffy or something similar

because if they had felt the real presence of luffy, why the questions? because the doubt or hint of concern in their assertions