Rate this chapter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's the obvious insane incompetence of the WG it creates as well. Sure we'll have to wait for some sort of attempt to explain it, but the very fact that the Gorosei don't know is a big problem in and of itself. Every single attempt I've seen to address this at the moment is so full of holes it's laughable. My current fear is that the attempt to explain it away will only make it worse.

Besides all that, there's the meta implication that the race for the One Piece has just been a fool's errand if you didn't eat the right fruit. Roger wanted to meet Joyboy, but to become Joyboy you had to eat Joyboy's fruit.
It's such an odd change because any impact of actually succeeding just works so much better with the gomu gomu no mi. Using one of the most despised and mundane abilities to the utmost against opponents with superior abilities vs. secretly having one of the rarest and most special abilities all along but just being unable to use it due to random restrictions.
Cherished victories don't seem so great anymore when it wasn't really a big cat against a rubber ball, but a mere leopard against Sun God Nika. The optics just looks bad regardless of restrictions and effort.

WG is and always was about hiding information even from their own people or going behind their back. Akainu points out post dressrosa how CDs went behind their back and did whatever they wanted. I doubt the he actually knows about Imu, in fact, I doubt any other CDs knows outside from rumors. More than likely this was another case of hiding information and only now did Imu tell them that the rumored legend was true and what exactly it was.

Their conversation clearly shows that they just learnt the truth themselves and discussing it on screen to inform the audience. Why didn't Imu tell them before? Well, we'll have to wait and see. My guess it have something to do with the giant Strawhat.

BUT your second statement isn't true at all. Becoming pirate king and finding the OP has nothing to do with being Joyboy. WB could've been a Pirate King if he bothered but he didn't. Roger became one and found the OP. Joyboy is connected the ancient kingdom and after finding the OP, not the act of finding itself.

Also, it's still a rubber fruit without awakening it. It was a rubber fruit when Luffy used it. It showed no other ability in the past until awakening which is just taking Luffy's freedom with his body to the next level. How is a powerup that happened now takes from his previous victories? Did AdvCoC take from Luffy defeating Arlong somehow?

do you realize that all those who heard luffy's voice or his haki, their faces look disjointed?

kidd, what the?
marco...muguiwara?
Sanji, Luffy?
etc, they know it's luffy, but there is something strange in his voice or his presence, that's what zunisha refers to, joy boy is really here, sharing a place with luffy or something similar

because if they had felt the real presence of luffy, why the questions? because the doubt or hint of concern in their assertions
It might be that it feels slightly different, but is still recognizable. They all have sweatdrops as well, so it must be far more intense than before.

do you realize that all those who heard luffy's voice or his haki, their faces look disjointed?

kidd, what the?
marco...muguiwara?
Sanji, Luffy?
etc, they know it's luffy, but there is something strange in his voice or his presence, that's what zunisha refers to, joy boy is really here, sharing a place with luffy or something similar

because if they had felt the real presence of luffy, why the questions? because the doubt or hint of concern in their assertions
Mostly because Luffy's presence is so overwhelmingly powerful imo, no other reason why even Kaidou's reaction is like extreme shock even when he just sensed Lufy.

I can not stop laughing.
Kaido at a distance causes more fear in the elders than akainu in person talking to them. LOL
:suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure:
:gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::gokulaugh::doffytroll::doffytroll::doffytroll::doffytroll:

The elders who don't even pass information to the court jester, better known as fleet admiral, who arrived furious at the elders office and the elders didn't give a damn and still made fun of him. Akainu is indeed a court jester.

the simple answer is because akainu is a subordinate and kaido is not.

akainu abides by the rules of his superiors, that's why they talk to him like that, kaido is a pirate.

not everything has to do with power

kidd, what the?
marco...muguiwara?
Sanji, Luffy?

It's a simple shock because they thought he died when they felt his voice disappear not that he is another person:seriously:

Mostly because Luffy's presence is so overwhelmingly powerful imo, no other reason why even Kaidou's reaction is like extreme shock even when he just sensed Lufy.
but that argument doesn't explain why yamato or momo don't feel that way, they know from what zunisha is saying to momo, they don't react that way.

I keep it, something strange is in those expressions
Post automatically merged:

It's a simple shock because they thought he died when they felt his voice disappear not that he is another person:seriously:
mistake, if so, sanji would not react like that, he was sleeping, if he had felt that luffy died, he would have gotten up earlier, he only got up when he felt the change or felt luffy's voice again

Now that Oda has officially gone through with the retcon change, I really do hope he has a great explanation because as it stands this is pretty damn awful because it is so unnecessary.

I'll probably create another thread for it, but the amount of inconsistencies it introduces is actually wild. As for the change in name itself, I don't like it.

- Luffy has now gone from having one of the most common and mundane fruits to having one of the rarest, and one so special that the WG even changed it's name. They didn't even do such a thing for Blackbeard's fruit which he stated was the most "evil" fruit in history.

- The fruit is even more special because apparently you can't even do the basic Zoan transformation into your creature that every other Zoan fruit allows unless you specifically awaken it. I've already seen a lot of attempts to excuse this away (like needing haki despite no other fruit having such a random requirement) and none of them really work.

- It is just very lazy because Oda had to create an imaginary in-verse character that had the specific attributes to explain the abilities of the fruit because no existing mythical figure actually fit it (what does rubber have to do with the sun?)...and he did so last minute, just a short while before the actual reveal in a shoehorned conversation between Jimbe & Who's Who.

- There's the obvious insane incompetence of the WG it creates as well. Sure we'll have to wait for some sort of attempt to explain it, but the very fact that the Gorosei don't know is a big problem in and of itself. Every single attempt I've seen to address this at the moment is so full of holes it's laughable. My current fear is that the attempt to explain it away will only make it worse.

Besides all that, there's the meta implication that the race for the One Piece has just been a fool's errand if you didn't eat the right fruit. Roger wanted to meet Joyboy, but to become Joyboy you had to eat Joyboy's fruit.
It's such an odd change because any impact of actually succeeding just works so much better with the gomu gomu no mi. Using one of the most despised and mundane abilities to the utmost against opponents with superior abilities vs. secretly having one of the rarest and most special abilities all along but just being unable to use it due to random restrictions.
Cherished victories don't seem so great when it wasn't really a big cat against a rubber ball, but a mere leopard against Sun God Nika. The optics just looks bad regardless of restrictions and effort.

Anyway, as for the ability itself: Gear 5 is fine. I am not a fan of the toon force affecting opponents though and believe it would be better if it were just Luffy and his environment. It doesn't do the arc that has suffered from lack of tension any favours when Luffy got up from a defeat laughing his ass off and surprised that he actually got a stronger ability he didn't know or expect to have. I expect (more like hope) that it's toned down for the finale for a satisfying end because Kaido has serious crimes to answer for, but I guess we'll see.

Edit: I like the design more than Gear 3, Boundman & Tankman, but I still think Gear 2 and Snakeman look better.

I dont have a problem with how Nika was handled, because the fruit was still about rubber ability. The only special thing about it is the awakening.

And about the WG: they couldn't catch 9yrs old Robin who was much more dangerous for them. It is hard to track down someone in OP world.

The only real chance to get rid of Luffy was in Marineford and they blew it.

S

Sasaki Kojirō

the simple answer is because akainu is a subordinate and kaido is not.

akainu abides by the rules of his superiors, that's why they talk to him like that, kaido is a pirate.

not everything has to do with power
The navy is an organization, the head of the organization is LAKAINU in patent matter, the point is that the elders ("who control the navy", don't give a damn about pissing off Lakainu, the panel I posted demonstrates exactly that, nor it is debatable whether the fleet admiral will get X or Y if the elders do "Z and W without warning". This is clearly an opposite portrayal of kaido.

This is clearly an opposite portrayal of kaido when compared to the way kaido was treated in this chapter by the elders.

But you are still facing right ?

Facing the fact that a bald 150-year-old old man who holds on to a cane to keep from falling is telling the supposedly strongest admiral to shut up. LOL
The alleged PK level, LULUZUKI LAKAINU. :suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure:

There's really no reason Nika had to be a Zoan, it just doesn't make sense going by every other Zoan we've seen used. By that logic Sengoku should be gold all the time

Other than that and the unimpressive bonk attacks from Luffy it was pretty fun.

The navy is an organization, the head of the organization is LAKAINU in patent matter, the point is that the elders ("who control the navy", don't give a damn about pissing off Lakainu, the panel I posted demonstrates exactly that, nor it is debatable whether the fleet admiral will get X or Y if the elders do "Z and W without warning". This is clearly an opposite portrayal of kaido.

This is clearly an opposite portrayal of kaido when compared to the way kaido was treated in this chapter by the elders.

But you are still facing right ?

Facing the fact that a bald 150-year-old old man who holds on to a cane to keep from falling is telling the supposedly strongest admiral to shut up. LOL
The alleged PK level, LULUZUKI LAKAINU. :suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure::suresure:
quiet master, I'm not interested in anything about akainu, I just corrected your mistake