Rate this chapter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's really no reason Nika had to be a Zoan, it just doesn't make sense going by every other Zoan we've seen used. By that logic Sengoku should be gold all the time

Other than that and the unimpressive bonk attacks from Luffy it was pretty fun.

Marco's healing abilities are always active. He's able to conjure flames without turning into a bird at all. Orochi just got his head chopped off clearly not even in hybrid form. You comment doesnt make sense because the common denominator here is the power not the appearance, Sengoku can likely make shockwaves without turning full buddha, but when he transforms he's gold, the same way when Luffy transforms his hair looks like this

Still doesn't address the problem at all. You don't need to tell the Navy: "This boy is the special criminal Nika Joyboy." The WG can always just lie to them and use any other excuse. "That is the son of the Worst Criminal, we want to make an example of him," "That boy is trying to read poneglyphs which is why he has teamed up with Nico Robin," "We don't like the way he looks", etc. They've lied to the world for much less.

Imu would be a colossal moron of the highest order to ask the Gorosei to hunt down the secret fruit without telling them what the name was changed to. That's just dumb.

Like I said, their conversation is part of the problem. Why wouldn't the Gorosei know the basic info to do their job? How have they been hunting it for 800 years if that were case? Why was it being guarded by the special agents if they didn't know? It's a mess because there's no way to untie the knot without someone at some level looking incredibly stupid.

Whitebeard could have become Pirate King, but every indication is now that the One Piece would have been useless to him and he wouldn't be able to use it overthrow the WG. That's my point. The race for the One Piece now seems foolish because even if you found it, without Joyboy's special fruit you would be out of luck. The issue isn't finding the One Piece but actually using it in any meaningful way.

As Kaido said: "I'm the only one who can change the world!" That is apparently the essence of becoming Joyboy. Now it looks like he failed because he ate the wrong produce.

Also, Oda is now indicating that it wasn't really just rubber even before awakening. Kaido said "rubber shouldn't do that," so Oda is changing the fundamentals of it.
Changing it now doesn't change the struggles Luffy had, but it does change the optics of the encounters. It's no longer someone rising to surpass those with superior abilities with the mundane and generic, but one who had special abilities all along that just couldn't access them for seemingly arbitrary restrictions.
Rubber band overcoming a leopard is just a much better look than Sun God Nika with a fraction of his abilities overcoming a leopard.
I don't think he ever told them to hunt that fruit before until now. Only now when he for some reason decided that it became dangerous did he tell them to hunt it and told them why. Gorosei aren't immortals. They're clearly being replaced each few decades. They weren't the one who hunted it in the past. They're talking about WG as an organization, not themselves personally.

Now, why didn't Imu not say anything before? We don't know. We need that explained, true. But we need everything about Imu explained.

As for why it was guarded by special agent. Who said it was them who sent him? Again, refer back to Dressrosa, the stuff with CP0 was done from behind their back. They still do answers to presumably other CDs and Imu's whims

Why would WB care about overthrowing the government or any pirate really? That's changing the point of being PK. Roger was declared PK. Oda confirmed that there will be a treasure at the Final Island in the past. That's all 90+% of pirates care about. The race didn't change at all.

Yes, Kaido wanted to change the world, but why and to what? He seems to indicate that he wants a world of violence, then he already failed with or without fruit. What does Kaido know about Joyboy? Does he know enough? He gave up on being Joyboy, but he still is seeking the OP to become a PK.

No, the Gorosei clearly said that it gives a rubber body and only on awakening it gives additional abilities. Kaido's words could easily mean that Luffy was in the process of awakening his fruit. That he pushed it hard enough and only needed one last push.
Oda never wanted Luffy to have a mundane or generic ability though. He always said that he wanted him to have "the most ridicules ability" which it was and still is.

I love this chapter. I love awakening style . There in one point i cannot understand why luffys hair is burning what is the relationship between rubbery and fire ?

Also , Toei gave that at anime. When Luffy transformed G4 Boundman , i dont remember who said but sentence was like that he did it again . he turned into like fire god.

This chapter brings up a lot of questions. So Nika was a person....and this is a "god" fruit, so was Nika like legit a god?? How did they have that power? And did Buddha actually exist as well?? Otherwise what makes this different from an ancient zoan. If this was based on some obscure mythological person with rubber powers it would make sense, but an in universe "god" blurs the lines between ancient and mythical, since if Nika actually existed....is it truly mythical??

Huh, this is the first time I'm seeing anyone post mentions of a Sun God prior to Who's Who's fight.
Yeah, they're easy to miss if one don't much attention, I myself missed the first one until reread, but they are there. And it's clear Nika is a figure that isn't that well known to the World. I don't think the Shandorians even know that his name was Nika.
Post automatically merged:

This chapter brings up a lot of questions. So Nika was a person....and this is a "god" fruit, so was Nika like legit a god?? How did they have that power? And did Buddha actually exist as well?? Otherwise what makes this different from an ancient zoan. If this was based on some obscure mythological person with rubber powers it would make sense, but an in universe "god" blurs the lines between ancient and mythical, since if Nika actually existed....is it truly mythical??
Imagine the scenes if Nika was as godly as Usopp. :gokulaugh:

One thing is clear: This will only drive OP sales into an abyss. Even if some people enjoy this, there are very few new readers, and Oda is isolating them with childish shit.

There is a balance for everything. Oda is fucking over that balance. Manga gets less and less serious as it goes on, with fewer and fewer consequences.
childish ? drop sales ? one piece still one of the most seller manga currently . Oda did not create this ability now. he created mainline story 25 years ago . When luffy ate devil fruit for the first time , oda have already created this awakening. what do u expect from awakening ????? serious luffy will bending all environment as a rubber or resin at awakening form ? But when he made these by laughing , that has been bullshit ??? what is difference right now ??

Thing is we know Oda is literally the master of foreshadowing. If he didn't foreshadow Nika before it was clearly intended by him.

The only Nika mention we got was from a former spy of the Government who heard the story from someone else and he also is a masked man. Is as if Oda wanted to show that Nika isn't something so open to the world, we are probably getting other names for it as well, Joy Boy, Wisdom King (aka LORD OF FIRE on kanji) and so on.

I firmly believe Oda will expand on that and explain most of our concerns in terms of logic within the story for this reveal.

You raise a good point about him not being well known. And I didn't consier the Wisdom King, but that could be one too.

Yeah, of course. That's why I'm saying people should wait until it's fully explained. If there is holes in the explanation then sure, drop the manga, that's fair, but for now, we don't know enough info to fully judge this.

My favorite thing is realizing how many users here fail to understand the point of 1037.

You can complain about the Gorosei knowing about the fruit the whole time (even there, there are grounds to argue they were told about the connection to Luffy and Nika by someone), but how do people actually forget that they only realized Luffy was a threat when Zunisha arrived?

It doesn't matter what the last 1000 chapters didn't do for the WG pursuing Luffy, they literally though the fruit reawakening was impossible in 1037. They called it a rumor and hearsay.

I don't think he ever told them to hunt that fruit before until now. Only now when he for some reason decided that it became dangerous did he tell them to hunt it and told them why. Gorosei aren't immortals. They're clearly being replaced each few decades. They weren't the one who hunted it in the past. They're talking about WG as an organization, not themselves personally.

Now, why didn't Imu not say anything before? We don't know. We need that explained, true. But we need everything about Imu explained.

As for why it was guarded by special agent. Who said it was them who sent him? Again, refer back to Dressrosa, the stuff with CP0 was done from behind their back. They still do answers to presumably other CDs and Imu's whims

Why would WB care about overthrowing the government or any pirate really? That's changing the point of being PK. Roger was declared PK. Oda confirmed that there will be a treasure at the Final Island in the past. That's all 90+% of pirates care about. The race didn't change at all.

Yes, Kaido wanted to change the world, but why and to what? He seems to indicate that he wants a world of violence, then he already failed with or without fruit. What does Kaido know about Joyboy? Does he know enough? He gave up on being Joyboy, but he still is seeking the OP to become a PK.

No, the Gorosei clearly said that it gives a rubber body and only on awakening it gives additional abilities. Kaido's words could easily mean that Luffy was in the process of awakening his fruit. That he pushed it hard enough and only needed one last push.
Oda never wanted Luffy to have a mundane or generic ability though. He always said that he wanted him to have "the most ridicules ability" which it was and still is.
They are still the current representation of the WG who should have been hunting it in the current time, so that explanation doesn't work. Why would it only be the current incarnation of the WG that wasn't included in the hunt? Still incompetence if the prior Gorosei just went: "Let's not bother our successors with the pertinent info that will help them in the hunt." If that were the case then their statement would just be incorrect because the WG only hunted it part way through the years and then just gave up for some reason.

That's why the problem exists even without bringing Imu into it. Bringing Imu into it only makes it worse.

And no, the Dressrosa stuff wasn't done behind their backs, Akainu only said that the order for them to do it came from higher up. As we've seen, the only ones the CP0 agents talk to directly are the Gorosei. They are the ones that told Mr. Go to interfere in the Kaido fight for example.

You are right that the race for the Pirate King didn't change, but it's still definitely an issue that to do anything meaningful was Pirate King you apparently need Joyboy's fruit. One Piece has always been about overthrowing the WG for the reader, so such a change is still an issue.

The Gorosei's statement doesn't change that it's now being indicated that Luffy has been more than rubber all along. So he's apparently had additional abilities beyond rubber even before the awakening. Oda stated that he wanted Luffy to have a weak ability which is just contradictory to having the ability of a god. You can have a ridiculous ability without it needing to be tied to any gods or mythical figures. That's why it's so unnecessary to change it from the gum gum fruit at all.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
They are still the current representation of the WG who should have been hunting it in the current time, so that explanation doesn't work. Why would it only be the current incarnation of the WG that wasn't included in the hunt? Still incompetence if the prior Gorosei just went: "Let's not bother our successors with the pertinent info that will help them in the hunt." If that were the case then their statement would just be incorrect because the WG only hunted it part way through the years and then just gave up for some reason.

That's why the problem exists even without bringing Imu into it. Bringing Imu into it only makes it worse.

And no, the Dressrosa stuff wasn't done behind their backs, Akainu only said that the order for them to do it came from higher up. As we've seen, the only ones the CP0 agents talk to directly are the Gorosei. They are the ones that told Mr. Go to interfere in the Kaido fight for example.

You are right that the race for the Pirate King didn't change, but it's still definitely an issue that to do anything meaningful was Pirate King you apparently need Joyboy's fruit. One Piece has always been about overthrowing the WG for the reader, so such a change is still an issue.

The Gorosei's statement doesn't change that it's now being indicated that Luffy has been more than rubber all along. So he's apparently had additional abilities beyond rubber even before the awakening. Oda stated that he wanted Luffy to have a weak ability which is just contradictory to having the ability of a god. You can have a ridiculous ability without it needing to be tied to any gods or mythical figures. That's why it's so unnecessary to change it from the gum gum fruit at all.
The first part can't be argued well by me or you because we don't have enough context or explanation. I agree that things are shaky there, but I suggest we wait until it's explained and then reexamine where it makes sense or not.

But about Akainu. No, they clearly tell him it was ordered from above them. Why would they say that if they were the ones who ordered it?

As for the other part. Oda never said that he wanted Luffy weak. He said that he didn't want him having typical strong guy abilities not that he wanted him weak. I mean, when was Luffy weak at the start? He had a relatively easy time until Crocodile. He didn't start the manga weak until about 120+ chapter in or something.