Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 967: Roger's adventure

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As myself and others point out in Viz the people reacting to the news mentioned that Roger did the circumnavigation of the globe so we were right about that being the way Roger proved he went to Laugh Tale.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Nice bit of irony that the Roger pirates final RP was the Zou one, while it was the Strawhats' first. And Binks' Sake reads so much better with the official. I can easily hum to it while reading.

The stop at Wano was a bit awkward. It reads as if Oden hadn't seen what's become of his country, yet they couldn't get the rubbing unless they ventured around it. Hopefully it's clarified once Oden returns. And it will most definitely not be a welcome one. Oden will almost certainly be blamed for Shusui and Ryuma's corpse abduction because he brought pirates into the country.

Nice bit of irony that the Roger pirates final RP was the Zou one, while it was the Strawhats' first. And Binks' Sake reads so much better with the official. I can easily hum to it while reading.

The stop at Wano was a bit awkward. It reads as if Oden hadn't seen what's become of his country, yet they couldn't get the rubbing unless they ventured around it. Hopefully it's clarified once Oden returns. And it will most definitely not be a welcome one. Oden will almost certainly be blamed for Shusui and Ryuma's corpse abduction because he brought pirates into the country.
Maybe the official version of Ryuma's grave desecration defended by Orochi's propaganda is that it was Oden or his pirates allies who took Ryuma's corpse and Shusui.
I would like to see Moria in the next chapter btw with him doing the deed.

I got around to reading it, finally. I think Viz did a good job with the narrative. It's a shame Oden couldn't be there for his country but circumstances forbade it. At that point it might have been too late anyway; Orochi looked to have a firm grasp on Wano. Roger laughing at the end is such a great panel. I wonder if the Strawhats will do the same when they reach the goal.

I was very tempted but I'm glad I passed on the poor quality scans. This is definitely up there in terms of my all time favorite chapters of the series, the whole thing is pretty much adventuring to the tune of Binks' Sake. The romance, the manliness, the adventure, the friends we met along the way, it's a summation of the major themes of the entire series.

- "I've already got one Road Poneglyph Sheet that I stole my Linlin"

So Roger obtained a rubbing, he isn't winging the 4th Poneglyph with his VOAT. I still believe you can't obtain specific information with that power, it's more of a Poneglyph radar and a translator is necessary to finish the deal. This was their first and easily most challenging Poneglyph, which could have been obtained anytime after they visited Lodestar 13 years ago. Most likely it was obtained recently right before Shanks was shown eating the chocolate bar.

- Franky personally met Oden but nobody else.

He might not even know his name was Oden until someone shows him a portrait. I wonder if this will have significance later in Wano. Very touching how Franky missed out on sailing with the first Pirate King but rode with the second and built his ship. Sometimes fate works just like that huh?

- Both Roger and Oden hear all the animals.

How awkward for the Sea Kings that not just one but two people can hear them talk. Roger doesn't sound so delusional anymore. Apparently both strongly felt that Zunesha was watching them. Remember Zunesha sent its vision to Momo to let him see Jack's fleet was attacking. That might be Zunesha's special ability, to connect with your thoughts. Zunesha trying to feel out the first VOAT users in hundreds of years caused it to send them headaches from curiosity.

- Poseidon is born every few centuries

It doesn't seem like there's been 8 other Poseidons born, all that time somebody could have kidnapped one of them and caused a bunch of turmoil. Shirahoshi was probably the first or second Poseidon since the original. It's still amazing to me that this weapon is a passed down biological trait. Did a Devil Fruit do this? Ancient scientific technology? Extremely powerful king's haki like Sharly was born with future observation? For now, Poseidon is the closest thing to magic we have in the series. BTW, I just noticed Neptune is the one hairiest characters in the series, all that body hair then his head and mustache/beard, it took Roger's joke to point this out.

Roger and his bros partying in a hot spring. I don't know why this is such a powerful scene to me. It just feels like they're living up one last time, like they have nothing to hide from each other anymore. That's the kind of post-arc bash the Strawhats need!

- Oden abandons Wano

Ouch, I don't expect to see such a desperate situation in this chapter. The retainers all look roughed up (Ashura and Denjiro missing) from their wardrobes and were trying to tell Oden what was happening, but Toki stopped them. They obtained the Wano's poneglyph rubbing in mere hours, that strongly indicates it was kept in Kuri back then. Sure, the Roger Pirates are the most powerful pirate crew in the world and could have wrapped up this mess in a week but I feel it was a sensitive political situation Oden was not ready to use force for. The Roger Pirates even offer to help Oden at the end of the journey and he still turned them down. He must not have resorted to strength until the very end when all other options were exhausted and he was pushed into a corner. So Oden turns his back on his nation and the bad karma piles up.

- Shanks and Buggy didn't go Laugh Tale

This reflects very poorly on Buggy. Shanks missed the treasure of a lifetime for him, but Buggy still maintains his petty grudge. Surely at least Shanks knows the location? Shanks and his crew could have gone there since, but without Oden they couldn't read the final Poneglyph. Did someone like Rayleigh tell him later like Roger told Whitebeard? I get the feeling Shanks never went back to Laugh Tale but still knows what is One Piece.

- Roger completed a full circumnavigation of the globe

I still don't understand who and why Roger was declared Pirate King. Where is the proof the world needs to see? Surely some phonies managed to cross the New World back to Reverse Mountain but completely missed Lodestar and Laugh Tale along the way. But Roger made up some final island nobody has ever been to and they believed him anyway? Either Morgans was gullible and happily printing his tall tales back then or some member of the World Government reluctantly confirmed to the press the existence of that final island. This is the kind of question I feel we won't get an answer to until Luffy achieves the same thing himself.

- What did Joyboy leave behind?

Absolutely magnificent. This final spread is one of the most iconic scenes in the series. Joyboy looks to be behind the Ancient Weapons and the great treasure. Any flashback into the Void Century will have him as a pivotal figure. I wonder if Toki recognizes his name. The Void Century previously sounded like a horrific period when the planet was reshaped and World Government was born, so much that it had be erased from the history books. Suddenly now Roger wishes he was born in that era with Joyboy? Is the World Government not hiding a terrible crime, but rather an embarrassing secret? Right now One Piece looks like a treasure of knowledge, rather than wealth or power, but it could easily be twisted to be all three.

As other people have said, this looks like the beginning of the end. If there's a 5-year countdown clock somewhere in Oda's office, it only started ticking after this chapter. But goals and achievements are different things. My hopes and wishes for 2020 are that Oda stays healthy and motivated, so we can enjoy another year of greatness.

Last edited:
I

Inspector_Mu

everyone makes mistakes, even oda. So i fail to see any relevant point being raised here.

VIZ will remain the most reliable scource of translation, even if they also have some occasional mistakes.
Nah they aren't reliable source for me

Any translator that thinks he's too smart and adds a word that isnt there , should not be taken seriously that much
Post automatically merged:

I wouldn’t say that... I feel like he’s taking every word too literally
I know
But I found Artur Translation more accurate this time than ViZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah they arenr reliable source for me

Any translator that thinks he's too smart and adds a word that isnt there , should not be taken seriously that much
Citation needed.

I take someone who translates professionally more serious than random fans on the internet lmfao.

I know
But I found Artur Translation more accurate this time than ViZ
You mean arturs translation fit what you wanted more?

I

Inspector_Mu

Citation needed.

I take someone who translates professionally more serious than random fans on the internet lmfao.

You mean arturs translation fit what you wanted more?
Just reread ViZ and artur translation
ViZ adds stuff that isnt even mentioned in the Japanese text

Same way that sbs stuff... one word created so much confusion in the fandom coz the dude added Legend into the sbs

That's why it is not good to sound smart on making the author state something he didnt wanna say.

I think Viz translators have become too smart, thinking they can add words or translate as they want coz well they are the official translation.

Anyway it's their job...

Same way that sbs stuff... one word created so much confusion in the fandom coz the dude added Legend into the sbs

That's why it is not good to sound smart on making the author state something he didnt wanna say.

I think Viz translators have become too smart, thinking they can add words or translate as they want coz well they are the official translation.

Anyway it's their job...
Artur should stay in his lane and shut up tbh when it comes to posting translation corrections of the official chapter considering he incorrectly called out 'mistakes' by Stephen.

Artur should stay in his lane and shut up tbh when it comes to posting translation corrections of the official chapter considering he incorrectly called out 'mistakes' by Stephen.
Totally agree mate! Stephen is the official translator and has much more insider knowledge than Artur. Whilst I appreciate what Artur does, he needs to recognize that Stephen is the official translator and that his translations often pick up Japanese innuendos that he converts for the english audience.

Anyway it's their job...
so no actual citation that backs your claim?

figures...

Status
Not open for further replies.